Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Any recent FF news worth getting excited about?

As an aside, I'm not sure if everyone here has played it, but I recently purchased Theaterhythm along with my 3ds. It made me cry. No joke. Every emotion from every Final Fantasy, every person I met during my tenure as a Final Fantasy fan, all the big things that happened during key Final Fantasy times, like my friend who died a few months before FF8, and I talked to his mom on the day I got the OPM mag with the FF8 demo in it.

I never knew I liked Final Fantasy this much, because wow.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Oct 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

Pollyanna posted:

I'm trying to play FF2 Advance again and why the hell does nobody but Firion do any decent damage? I can't figure out why the hell he's doing like 500+ damage while Guy, who's loving dual wielding axes, does maybe 75 and Maria doesn't hit half the time. It's not skill levels, since they're almost all equal when it comes to their weapons, and there's no major difference in attack between Firion and Guy (53 versus 43). Firion has a Wing Sword and Golden Shield, Guy's dual-wielding Battle Axes. I don't loving get it, this system makes no sense to me.

By "attack" you do mean attack power and not strength, right? Because 43 for two weapons combined is... pretty lovely. That and defense works kind of... oddly in FF2.

Also don't dual-wield unless you have decent evasion.

Mustach posted:

Basically there is a huge time gap between the starting axes and the good axes. The Wing Sword is just a better weapon. I recommend fists for Guy. Also if you've got the black bow (I think? whatever one says it causes blindness) on Maria, swap it for something else, that one has a low hit rate because it's tied to the status effect chance. edit: And I usually just have her cast magic all the time anyhow

Never do barehanded. Ever.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Himuro posted:

Uh...let's see:

Nomura told Famitsu that his part in the production of FFXIII-3 - Fabulous Exploding Sun Crystals: Lightning: The Revenge of the Return of The Unexpected Journey, has finished. Not that he's really had much to do with that part of the series anyway.

Noted hack, Toriyama talks about his involvement in FF. It's a sad tale - the slow descent of a man into the depths of terrible writing.

And FF will be 25 this December. That's about it, I think. It's been rather quiet of late.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Oct 13, 2012

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Must be gearing up to release Versusgahahahaha.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Himuro posted:

I never knew I liked Final Fantasy this much, because wow.

This happens to everyone who plays Theatrhythm, sure did to me anyway :unsmith:

People posted:

:words: FF2 :words:

I won't ask how I'm supposed to know any of this, because I'm scared to know the answer.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
Everything I know about FF2 is just from experience.

Camel Pimp posted:

Never do barehanded. Ever.
Nah, it's fine. He's no Black Belt, but I've never felt he was too weak in the three different versions I've played. If there's something better for him, it must barely matter.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

I won't ask how I'm supposed to know any of this, because I'm scared to know the answer.

You're not supposed to know, and you can tell that you're not supposed to know because it was designed by Akitoshi Kawazu.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Pollyanna posted:

If you meet the Kawazu, kill him.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
2 is very straightforward compared to his other games. There is a direct, consistent correspondence between performing an action and raising a stat — it's not like a SaGa where stats and skills are gained randomly.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

TurnipFritter posted:

If you meet the Kawazu, kill him.

Damage yourself first though to build up your strength stat.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Himuro posted:

Bravely Default is looking cool.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Mustach posted:

2 is very straightforward compared to his other games. There is a direct, consistent correspondence between performing an action and raising a stat — it's not like a SaGa where stats and skills are gained randomly.

Kawazu asked: `Why does the enlightened man not stand on his feet and explain himself?' And he also said: `It is not necessary for speech to come from the tongue.'

Dr Pepper posted:

Bravely Default is looking cool.

They have no plans to bring it over at this time, but please continue to tweet and facebook about Square Enix's Bravely Default: Flying Fairy, from the makers of Final Fantasy.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

They had to have used a random title generator for that and just picked the first thing they got

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I am sucking significantly less! Now, how does magic work?

TurnipFritter posted:

“Have courage and renounce the promises and responsibilities that are expected of you.” You can think of this phrase as acting on your own intuition rather than simply following other people’s requests and demands.

You must be making GBS threads me.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Oct 13, 2012

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Mustach posted:

They had to have used a random title generator for that and just picked the first thing they got

“Have courage and renounce the promises and responsibilities that are expected of you.” You can think of this phrase as acting on your own intuition rather than simply following other people’s requests and demands.

Also one of the characters is literally a flying fairy.

It's meaningful.

Pollyanna posted:

Pretend I posted another Koan here.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Pollyanna posted:

Just keep spamming the spell. If I remember correctly, the more you times you use it, the more it levels up and becomes more powerful. It also means that Ultima will suck unless you grind it [Note: Don't bother to grind ultima].

Spam fire, thunder, blizzard and heal. Spam them. Spam them like you've never spammed before.

[e]: It worked pretty well in IX, by all accounts. Too well infact. :unsmigghh:
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Oct 13, 2012

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

Speaking of Ultima, 6 is the only one where it's at all useful. Agree/disagree?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Using magic levels up that spell for that character. As a spell levels up, it becomes more powerful and costs more. Damage and healing spells become stronger, status spells affect more monsters, and defensive spells protect better Their actual formulas are a bit complex, but the short version is that very few enemies are outright immune to status effects; Toad and Banish are effective for the whole game if you use them regularly, but you have to keep spamming Esuna needlessly if you want it to be able to heal you when you need it. Blink is the most important buff. Black and White magic are keyed off of different stats. Cast Swap on weak enemies to quickly level up your HP and MP. Ultima is a special case. The level of Ultima is based on how much you've leveled up all other spells. Which means it will practically always be terrible.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

How do I increase Guy's accuracy?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Pollyanna posted:

The same way as weapons. Use them and they grow more powerful.

Also, instant death attacks are absurdly powerful in FF2. Teleport and Warp can wipe out entire enemies. And Toad (Which is ALSO an instant death attack) can kill every boss but the final boss.

If you're playing the NES version (Why in god's name would you be playing the NES version) then heavier armor gives spell-casting penalties. The game, of course, never tells you this. Later versions got rid of this so do what you want.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The general rule is that any stat is increased by doing the thing that stat is good for. So accuracy is increased by hitting enemies. Give him a more accurate kind of weapon (I think the sword is the one you want?).

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

This also means duel-wielding is a trap.

Your evasion is increased by dodging attacks, so you want your characters to be on the front line with shields.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:psyduck:

Okay, so it's something like this. Use magic over and over to make it better, even if it's totally useless at that level. Be more accurate to get more accurate, and use a shield to dodge things better. Don't dual wield, and don't use low accuracy weapons like axes. Maria uses magic always.

Is it worth dual wielding with Leila or is she subject to the same rules?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Pretty sure that higher skill with a weapon means it's more accurate. So if somebody is good with axes then they're fine.

Basically commit to a few weapons and spells for each character.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Pollyanna posted:

The other rule is don't bother with the 4th character slot unless it's Leon. Lelia is just there to fill up space.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The three main characters can all be built however you want; the differences in their starting stats are miniscule.

One effective build is to stick one character in the front so that all of the enemies' attacks will hit them only, making their HP and defense skyrocket and giving them more opportunities to improve evasion, while the rest of the party is in the back row spamming support magic and/or dead.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Pollyanna posted:

If you didn't get to name them at the beginning of the game, it doesn't really matter what you do with them. Nobody else will ever be around long enough (i.e. with you at the final boss) for it to matter.

Oh and for the record, everyone should be using magic always. There should never be a battle where you don't get some EXP towards a spell, giving you the chance to increase your MP, and your Int or Spirit.

v FF7 a.k.a. 420 dodge Ultima every day

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Oct 13, 2012

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Mustach posted:

It was one of the best spells to junction to pretty much everything in VIII and if you're counting other Squaresoft games it was pretty rockin' in Bahamut Lagoon. Otherwise, yeah, it's been pretty underwhelming in most games.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Bongo Bill posted:

The three main characters can all be built however you want; the differences in their starting stats are miniscule.

One effective build is to stick one character in the front so that all of the enemies' attacks will hit them only, making their HP and defense skyrocket and giving them more opportunities to improve evasion, while the rest of the party is in the back row spamming support magic and/or dead.

So theoretically I could have Firion in the front and the other two/three doing fuckall in the back and I wouldn't really have any problems? poo poo, I might restart my game at this rate.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Pollyanna posted:

Okay, so it's something like this. Use magic over and over to make it better, even if it's totally useless at that level. Be more accurate to get more accurate, and use a shield to dodge things better. Don't dual wield, and don't use low accuracy weapons like axes.

I think my favourite thing about the FF2 stat mechanics is, if I'm remembering it right, you gain agility purely by having agility. Not doing things with it, not getting turns, not hitting or dodging, just having the stat. And the higher it is, the more (likely?) it increases.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

I love watching someone slowly coming to grips with the mechanics of FF2 :allears:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
So, I finished FF XIII-2.

Jesus Christ SE, why couldn't you do this the first time around? I can't believe how good it is (considering it's a sequel and all). Definitely want to plat it eventually.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Pollyanna posted:

So theoretically I could have Firion in the front and the other two/three doing fuckall in the back and I wouldn't really have any problems? poo poo, I might restart my game at this rate.

That's pretty much how my only playthrough went. Two hours of pain when starting getting Firion up to snuff, followed by him doing everything else and the other two/three stuck in the backrow not doing much.

And then it started all over again with the Soul of Rebirth part.

2, along with 3, 8, 12 and 13, are among the ones I either can't (8 because the discs are hosed) or don't want to playthrough again for one reason or another.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Oct 13, 2012

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
The main advantage of playing the Dawn of Souls version of FF2 is so that you can play it without having to spend any effort thinking about the mechanics. Just hit stuff until it dies and maybe level up Toad a bunch.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Mustach posted:

It's useful against Jumbo Flan in FFX, at least (though only when Doublecasted. The regular version has just so much downtime to be worth using).

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Francois Kofko posted:

The main advantage of playing the Dawn of Souls version of FF2 is so that you can play it without having to spend any effort thinking about the mechanics. Just hit stuff until it dies and maybe level up Toad a bunch.

The other advantage is that instead of taking 100 skill points for every level, it only takes 10 for the first one, 20 for the second, etc, so you can become almost decent with something without knowing in advance that you're going to need it.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

Dragonatrix posted:

I think my favourite thing about the FF2 stat mechanics is, if I'm remembering it right, you gain agility purely by having agility. Not doing things with it, not getting turns, not hitting or dodging, just having the stat. And the higher it is, the more (likely?) it increases.

Getting agility is tied to your evasion, technically. Your base evasion is your agility plus or minus your equipment's evasion properties, so it's a little more complicated than that. But that is more or less the right idea.

It's still pretty hosed though. I'll defend FF2 to my dying day, but that bit of insanity I can't.

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

Pollyanna posted:

:psyduck:

Okay, so it's something like this. Use magic over and over to make it better, even if it's totally useless at that level. Be more accurate to get more accurate, and use a shield to dodge things better. Don't dual wield, and don't use low accuracy weapons like axes. Maria uses magic always.

Short answer: You're winning your fights too fast.

Long answer: Whenever you use a spell in battle, it earns 'experience.' You need to get more 'experience' than your current spell level before the game registers it as valid 'experience' and starts adding it to your spell growth. The base 'experience' you gain is equal to the rank of the target of the spell. You can see monster rank in the bestiary, so you can easily figure out which ones are useful and which ones suck. For spells targetting your characters, however, the rank is always two, regardless of the rank of the monster you're fighting. Subsequent actions are always a fraction of the initial 'experience' growth... maybe it's half, maybe it's always two, I forget. But this number will be the same for the rest of the fight, regardless of the target. This is important.

At low levels, this poo poo doesn't matter. A couple of castings will get you oodles of 'experience.' After a while, though, your spells will plateau, as you will kill things faster than you are gaining 'experience.' White Magic plateaus low, as character rank is always two. You need to cast your buffs a lot before ending a fight to get them to grow... you may need to start buffing monsters for the bigger boost. Luckily, you never need to grow a buff beyond level 8 to get the full effect; higher levels just improve 'accuracy.' That's right, not only do you need to level buffs to get the full intended effect, but they can also miss.

Attack spells will plateau a bit higher, as monster ranks go to seven, but they will still plateau. These are an even bigger pain in the rear end to level higher, as they will one-shot monsters, thus denying you the opportunity to draw out a fight to gain 'experience.' The best way I found to get direct attack spells to the highest levels was to either (1) cast spells with an element that would heal the monster or (2) start by killing a high rank monster, then casting the spells on my own party for the rest of the fight to gain enough experience to level the spell.
:goonsay:

Luckily, you don't need to do any of this poo poo to finish the game.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
Final Fantasy II is a bad game but it does give you the option of plowing through the game by turning all your foes into toads. How is that not awesome? I can't remember if you could do it to any bosses but the game's so broken I wouldn't be surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Eggie posted:

Final Fantasy II is a bad game but it does give you the option of plowing through the game by turning all your foes into toads. How is that not awesome? I can't remember if you could do it to any bosses but the game's so broken I wouldn't be surprised.

In the original release, it's possible to glitch it so that you can transform the Emperor into a toad and destroy him that way. It is suitabily hilarious.

Edit: This LP update details exactly how to embarrass the Emperor gloriously in the original FFII.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Oct 13, 2012