Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Those ByteNow rumors are pretty much rumors but the LG Nexus is kind of confirmed at this point. There's a real prototype floating around, the leak of the 4.2 Gmail app signed by Google has been posted online, and a number of other things have come to pop up over the past week.

A Russian site has done a sort of review on the prototype device (including press-release style photos of the device and photos from the 8MP camera).

http://www.androidcentral.com/lg-s-nexus-here-s-what-we-know-so-far

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/1...earchive-video/

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/10/12/exclusive-download-the-unreleased-gmail-4-2-apk-with-pinch-to-zoom-and-more/

http://translate.google.com/transla...xus-4-review%2F

The GT-i9260 is not the Galaxy Nexus 2 but the Samsung Galaxy Premier. As of right now, no one knows if the Galaxy Nexus 2 exists.

All that's known is that there IS an LG Nexus (with no LTE and 8GB of space), but most of what that ByteNow link is seems pretty bogus.

Also, it's not penta-band according to the FCC notes on it, it's tri-band. It'll only really work on AT&T and T-Mobile right now according to the radios in it.

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/10/05/lg-optimus-nexus-passes-through-fcc-with-att-bands-and-nfc-as-the-lg-e960/

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repo...=278241&fcc_id='ZNFE960'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
Is there a way to start a new month early on the tmo 30/mo plan without screwing anything up? I've got 6 days left, I'm out of minutes and hit the data cap a couple days ago. Having throttled data feels like I'm back on vm all over again :(

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Long Francesco posted:

Is there a way to start a new month early on the tmo 30/mo plan without screwing anything up? I've got 6 days left, I'm out of minutes and hit the data cap a couple days ago. Having throttled data feels like I'm back on vm all over again :(

How did you manage to use five gigs in three weeks?

I don't try to limit my data usage and i never use wifi and I've only gone over 2gb when I downloaded a game loft game over 3g

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?

MC Hawking posted:

Next Day Edit: I'm sorry dude if you read the post that was here it's a real rear end in a top hat bit. I'm sure you do have solid connections in the industry and have some credibility, however you'll have to forgive me if I am not skeptical as hell considering the current and past track record of how the tech journalism industry works.

You do have a good point though, it might be a wise idea to wait till the end of next month to see solid specs for the LG Nexus. 8gb onboard would be an absolute deal-breaker even if the rest of the phone is pretty solid.

I didn't read it, but I don't blame you for being skeptical. Hell, even as someone who can vouch for the site, I'm skeptical about it. No worries. It's not like ByteNow is a well-known, world-renowned source of info. I merely wanted to point it out as a "Hey don't jump ship just yet" message, and because I know Andrew doesn't typically post things on the site unless he truly thinks it's got some solidity.

But yeah, true or not, it'd be a good idea to wait until November just to see if any more solid news appears (or if it indeed goes up for sale at the end of the month, which would be awesome). The LG Nexus has been rumored for quite some time, and it's all but confirmed, as others above me have pointed out. It's just a matter of time before more solid evidence surfaces.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005

Mister Snips posted:

How did you manage to use five gigs in three weeks?

I don't try to limit my data usage and i never use wifi and I've only gone over 2gb when I downloaded a game loft game over 3g

Netflix and streaming football. I have a very boring job. Usually I don't come close to the cap but it's been a slow month.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
When I ported my number into my account, my bandwidth reset to zero for no reason, according to the website.

Also if you Google around, there's ways to unthrottle yourself but that's a slightly shady area and might not even work anymore, I've never tried it because I've never gone past like 4gb.

Edit: And no I don't think you can pay early to "restart" the plan like you could on Virgin Mobile. Reason being that they stupidly consider this plan "first time only", so you can't even switch off it and back on, or rebuy it.

Edit 2: You should just tough it out, back in the Sidekick days, EDGE was all we had, and we LOVED it!

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Oct 13, 2012

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

Edit: And no I don't think you can pay early to "restart" the plan like you could on Virgin Mobile. Reason being that they stupidly consider this plan "first time only", so you can't even switch off it and back on, or rebuy it.

That's what I thought. I didn't want to try since losing the plan would suck.

It's not really that bad, it's slow but at least it's consistent. It will still stream talk radio so it's npr for a few days I guess.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Mr.Radar posted:

Yep. They started rolling the service out a few weeks ago. There's an unofficial map of PCS-band HSPA "sightings" here.

Is this for real? Makes me want to dump AT&T postpaid and switch to the $30 t-mobile plan on my SGS3. Is there an official time table for the rollout?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Long Francesco posted:

My gf had the same problem a week ago. We just put like $35 in the account so she could use the extra $5 for the 10 minutes of voice she'd need before the month reset. I too thought it would be as easy as add $30 and select the choice to restart the plan now. I was sorely mistaken.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

ilkhan posted:

So whats it take to trade my existing T-Mo SIM for a T-Mo micro-SIM?

Go to the T-Mobile store, say "I'd like a MicroSIM please :)" and they will just ask for some account information and give you one for free.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Don't feel like waiting for the new LG nexus, since my current phone it's a piece of poo poo that can't go a day without crashing. Strongly considering the gnex tmobile prepaid route.

- Other than the new phones, any reason to hold off?
- I can port my number to t mobile prepaid, right? I'm very attached to it.

Stalling Grad
Feb 3, 2009

Bobulus posted:

- I can port my number to t mobile prepaid, right? I'm very attached to it.
Why not port to GoogleVoice now, start a new account on T-Mobile, point GVoice to it, and if it sucks in a week, buy a different service?

shookwell
Oct 3, 2004
no fuckin cornflakes
I just switched to the t-mobile $30 plan with galaxy nexus. It's way better than verizon and you can port your number. The one thing that really annoys me is that you can't forward your voicemail to google voice with a prepaid t-mobile plan.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Stalling Grad posted:

Why not port to GoogleVoice now, start a new account on T-Mobile, point GVoice to it, and if it sucks in a week, buy a different service?

Well, do you need data to use GoogleVoice for receiving calls on your phone? I work in a building where I'm often walking through areas with no data service, so sometimes I turn data off to save on battery.

cpach
Feb 28, 2005

Bobulus posted:

Well, do you need data to use GoogleVoice for receiving calls on your phone? I work in a building where I'm often walking through areas with no data service, so sometimes I turn data off to save on battery.

No, it redirects calls to your phone via normal cellular voice, and it'll allow more google voice features. In the case of the T Mobile plan, being able to call through Google voice with GrooveIP when you have fast data access will help with your small voice minute allowance. This does cost $20 to do.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Sorry for all the questions. The $20 is the one-time fee to keep my old number with Google Voice, or a GrooveIP -related fee?

Also, the talk of voicemail problems with GVoice and tmobile prepaid... that's only if they call your tmobile number, not your gv number, right?

edit: Can you get that tmobile prepaid sim at walmart? Looks like online ordering is down right now.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Oct 14, 2012

cpach
Feb 28, 2005

Bobulus posted:

The $20 is the one-time fee to keep my old number with Google Voice, or a GrooveIP -related fee?

It's a one-time fee for Google to port your number to GV.
http://support.google.com/voice/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1065667
I'm pretty sure that it'll work fine with Tmobile prepaid, but I don't use that setup.
I'm pretty sure you can get a Tmobile sim at any Tmobile store?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Yeah, I did a store locator search at tmobile's website and all I got within 30 minutes of me is Walmarts.

Guess I'll find out tomorrow!

Ordinaire
Sep 1, 2008

Forks in the road we're not.
Is there any update on the BYOD deal for Ting? The website says phase 1 of beta testing should begin soon, but I'm getting very eager to switch. I'm tired of having basically no data connection from T-mobile. (GPRS only! :suicide:)

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Ordinaire posted:

Is there any update on the BYOD deal for Ting? The website says phase 1 of beta testing should begin soon, but I'm getting very eager to switch. I'm tired of having basically no data connection from T-mobile. (GPRS only! :suicide:)
Ting/Tucows employee here,

Take a look at this blog post from October 4th. I just doublechecked with the man who wrote it, and yes, the tl;dr version is that we'll be starting "beta phase 1" in a couple of weeks. Phase one is:

quote:

We mentioned we’ve already started on a very small alpha test. Once that’s completed we’ll roll out the phase one beta which will be limited to the five or six most popular devices (as pulled from the Ting BYO(S)D survey and beta entry form), hopefully at the end of this month. Once this alpha and first phase beta testing are completed, we’ll roll a phase two beta out and offer it to everyone that filled out the aforementioned form.

It looks like our "late October" will slip a bit into November though, so it might be 3-4 weeks out to the beta instead of 2-3 weeks.

Your best chance of getting in is simply to sign up. Sorry, though, I can't give preferential treatment to goons and bump you into some special list/group. :( Your best bet of staying up to date is, honestly, follow the blog! I'm no longer in the Ting group here at the company, so the blog is usually ahead of my own known info. Any questions just ask. :)

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 15, 2012

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Ordinaire posted:

It only works with Sprint phones.

Ordinaire
Sep 1, 2008

LiquidRain posted:

It looks like our "late October" will slip a bit into November though, so it might be 3-4 weeks out to the beta instead of 2-3 weeks.

Ah, that's not too bad I suppose. I've dealt with this poo poo data for a while, but I got no problem with waiting a bit longer. I had read the blog post previously, but apparently I didn't read it as closely as I thought. This looks pretty good:

Ting posted:

Once this alpha and first phase beta testing are completed, we’ll roll a phase two beta out and offer it to everyone that filled out the aforementioned form.

I went ahead and filled out the form, but when it asked for a device mine was not listed (I'll most likely be getting a Nexus S 4G). I don't think I should worry about this though because it still accepted my submission. A rudimentary googling also showed a few cases where people have gotten them to work on Ting. Now just to sit back and wait.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Let me check on the Nexus S 4G for you - the Galaxy Nexus is blacklisted from the BYO(Sprint)D program for *cough* "reasons" *cough*. Don't want you buying a phone you can't bring in.

A few notes about the Nexus S 4G in particular, if it can be a part of the program. First, those other folks who've gotten it over on Ting pick up a cheap-rear end Ting phone and then reprogram the ESN (may have my acronym wrong there) from the cheap-rear end phone onto the Nexus. It's kind of like duping a MAC address of a PC network adapter, or the IMEI of a GSM phone. Those people weren't porting, they were modifying their Nexus S 4G and never turning on the crap phone they bought from us.

Second note about that phone - it's not 4G LTE. I'm not sure when Sprint's old 4G WiMAX service ends, they've never said, but the lack of LTE will hurt the capabilities and speed of that phone in the long run. (I'd give it 2-3 years, that's a personal guess, not a statement on behalf of Ting or Sprint) Without that WiMAX coverage you're stuck in just-as-bad-if-not-worse-than-T-Mo EVDO normal 3G speed (which is iffy on Sprint) or EVDO if you're lacking coverage.

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Oct 16, 2012

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

LiquidRain posted:

Let me check on the Nexus S 4G for you - the Galaxy Nexus is blacklisted from the BYO(Sprint)D program for *cough* "reasons" *cough*. Don't want you buying a phone you can't bring in.

A few notes about the Nexus S 4G in particular, if it can be a part of the program. First, those other folks who've gotten it over on Ting pick up a cheap-rear end Ting phone and then reprogram the ESN (may have my acronym wrong there) from the cheap-rear end phone onto the Nexus. It's kind of like duping a MAC address of a PC network adapter, or the IMEI of a GSM phone. Those people weren't porting, they were modifying their Nexus S 4G and never turning on the crap phone they bought from us.

Second note about that phone - it's not 4G LTE. I'm not sure when Sprint's old 4G WiMAX service ends, they've never said, but the lack of LTE will hurt the capabilities and speed of that phone in the long run. (I'd give it 2-3 years, that's a personal guess, not a statement on behalf of Ting or Sprint) Without that WiMAX coverage you're stuck in just-as-bad-if-not-worse-than-T-Mo EVDO speeds.

Sprint's WiMAX is supposed to end around the end of 2013. Probably this time next year. Maybe even faster now that SoftBank owns part of them, who knows.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Bobulus posted:

Can you get that tmobile prepaid sim at walmart? Looks like online ordering is down right now.

Bobulus posted:

Yeah, I did a store locator search at tmobile's website and all I got within 30 minutes of me is Walmarts.

Guess I'll find out tomorrow!

Just to follow up on this, Walmart does not sell the activation kit. And all the employees looked at me like I was crazy. So I just waited a day for the website to come back up and ordered there.

Out of curiosity, what's with the credit-check style identity verification on the tmobile site? Are stolen SIMs really that big of a deal?

Ordinaire
Sep 1, 2008

LiquidRain posted:

Second note about that phone - it's not 4G LTE. I'm not sure when Sprint's old 4G WiMAX service ends, they've never said, but the lack of LTE will hurt the capabilities and speed of that phone in the long run. (I'd give it 2-3 years, that's a personal guess, not a statement on behalf of Ting or Sprint) Without that WiMAX coverage you're stuck in just-as-bad-if-not-worse-than-T-Mo EVDO normal 3G speed (which is iffy on Sprint) or EVDO if you're lacking coverage.

Thanks for the excellent info.

I'm not all that concerned about getting WiMAX (even if we apparently do get it here on campus), so when it ends it's not a deal-breaker. I'm on WiFi maybe 90% of the day anyway. That other 10% though - even shoddy Sprint 3G is better than this. Also, Sprint's coverage around here is better than T-mobile in general. I had Virgin Mobile a while back, and that was decent enough. I don't know if that will translate to decent speeds on a different MVNO such as Ting, but really anything is better than the crap I have now.

About the phone itself, I think I can get another two years of usefulness out of a Nexus S 4G. The likelihood of my area getting LTE coverage anytime soon is practically nil, so I won't be missing anything with a non-LTE device. I've got i9020T right now, and it's a good phone for what I need it to do. This is moot if it's ineligible, of course.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Your coverage on us will be the same - our cell reception and call/text reliability is on par with Sprint. It's literally guaranteed, and I really do mean literally. :) That's one of the reasons we chose Sprint over AT&T or Verizon.

Interesting side note: our CEO has made public the fact that, at our prices, we still actually make money on everything we sell. I can't get into talk of margins, of course, but it should give you an idea of how much the big 3 really gouge customers on price plans.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

http://mobile.dailysteals.com/ has the GSM Galaxy Nexus for $319.99.

1karus
Jan 29, 2006

The Fun Machine
Took a Shit and Died

UnbornApple posted:

http://mobile.dailysteals.com/ has the GSM Galaxy Nexus for $319.99.

I would be all over this if it wasn't for the imminent (give or take) release of the next generation of nexus phone(s), which at the very least, will drop prices on the current nexus.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

I don't think that will happen. Galaxy Nexus wasn't available unlocked in the Play Store until a good 5 months after it was announced. And everything that has been leaked about that LG Nexus phone is super underwhelming.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
It will still happen. All anyone cares about is "hey this is now the old model, time to dump it on eBay". Basic supply and demand takes care of the rest. The SGS3 isn't a godlike improvement over the SGS2 but it knocked the old model from a steady $350 down to $250 in a couple weeks. The Nexus is nowhere near the same level of sales but the effect is the same. When the writing is on the wall (i.e. New model confirmed) it effects the prices a little, but on the launch day is when the reality sets in on the market.

Rkikzza
Sep 5, 2007

I've tried finding the answer to my question in this thread and elsewhere without much luck so here goes.

I'm considering switching to the t-mobile 100 minute/5Gb plan once my current contract is up and I'm curious what would happen if or when they stop offering it. Since there is no contract would you have to switch to a different plan, or would you be grandfathered in?

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

It would be completely at T-Mobile's discretion. There's no contract so there's no obligation for them to continue offering it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
So, I can enable Wifi hot spot on my GNex. Are there any repercussions for doing so on the $30/month TMobile plan? I may only have need of it once or twice a year, but would like to be aware of any issues before I go to use it.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
The worst that would happen is getting redirected to a "give us money to tether" page. Supposedly if you change the user agent to mobile in your browser you can get around that.

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.
I've never had an issue tethering on tmo in Chicago. I don't use a whole lot of data (no Netflix or anything), it's usually just web browsing, Dropbox'ing a few files, or whatever, so YMMV.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Uthor posted:

So, I can enable Wifi hot spot on my GNex. Are there any repercussions for doing so on the $30/month TMobile plan? I may only have need of it once or twice a year, but would like to be aware of any issues before I go to use it.

I've tethered quite a bit and there have been no repercussions on the $30/month Tmobile plan.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Our BYO(Sprint)D initial alpha tests have begun today and we've had our first activation! Doesn't mean much to you folks still waiting, but progress is happening. :)

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Republic Wireless just sent out a wave of beta invites. Quite happy on T-Mobile's $30 prepaid plan but seeing Republic Wireless come available is quite intriguing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Is there a trick to the t-mobile refill page? I haven't had to do this in awhile but trying to pay by credit or e-check has pretty much failed at every corner I've turned. I don't remember it being this broken before.

[e]Erk, just read the previous page. Looks like I'll just have to call them and get prepared for some hazing.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 17, 2012

• Locked thread