Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
These challenges have me playing Cut-Rate Commando lately. Dragging out the starter weapons on the Destroyer to get achievements makes me feel so dirty. There's something slightly off about a Destroyer rocking an Avenger X and a Phalanx X.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
I just want to say, the Volus Engineer loving owns. Ignore it having 1 health and 8 barrier or whatever, with shield boost and the light melee cloak you can survive almost anything if you're careful.

Just running around on Gold with a little volus shooting people with a piranha and blowing up recon mines everywhere.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Marquis de Pyro posted:

I just want to say, the Volus Engineer loving owns. Ignore it having 1 health and 8 barrier or whatever, with shield boost and the light melee cloak you can survive almost anything if you're careful.

Just running around on Gold with a little volus shooting people with a piranha and blowing up recon mines everywhere.

Is it just me or does the screen shake a gently caress of a lot more as a Volus?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Anime Classes (Shadow and Slayer) completely loving rock and are amazingly effective without ever having to use guns at all.

Shadow Strike in particular trivializes Reapers entirely.

With all the changes made in the "gently caress you get out of cover rear end in a top hat" department, is being a sniper even particularly effective anymore as anything more than a Pro Level Challenge Task? It just seems like you can never, ever hang out headshotting dudes anymore. Not that I mind because that's not a playstyle I enjoy much, but just wondering.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Holy loving poo poo gently caress Geth on gold gently caress them forever

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

el oso posted:

I've been having a bug where I can't shoot, use powers, etc. until I get to an ammo box. Maybe happening once per game.

I got this twice yesterday. Couldn't even zoom in with the left trigger. With me though, noting happened when I tried hitting the ammo box. But I found that if I did a heavy melee it would free things up.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
Current Argus status: it's pretty cool once you have the stability damper and scope on it. And a barrage upgrade too. 3 bullets to the head kills most things.

I keep getting Geth Plasma SMG upgrades, I think the game is trying to tell me something. It makes such a noise when you hold the button down.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Yeah, adding the Bomber completely unbalanced Geth because it's basically a mobile Turret with a smaller hitbox that attacks you through cover. Sprinting around to a different spot on the map is the best way to deal with them, but then that opens you up to getting hit by a cross-map Prime blast.

On a side note, the challenges are a great way to force you into new classes. I almost exclusively play as a Kroguard or Destroyer, but I had fun with my Human Engineer yesterday. Now I just need to respec him to take advantage of the new tech burst changes

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.
Man, Phasic Rounds are awesome. From the description I wasn't sure what they actually did since it only lists the bonus damage and shield regen delay bit they most do something else because I used them on my Javelin for Geth Gold and I was killing everything except Primes with a single body shot.

e: on reading up, it sounds like they do a massive bonus against shields and barriers so perhaps that allows more damage through the gate or something?

The New Black fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Oct 13, 2012

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Why do people try to play FBW like it hasn't changed at all? I don't think the office is a good position to try to hold down - you can get flanked on 3 sides and most of the routes out don't provide you with any decent cover. ESPECIALLY now that there's units like Geth Bombers or Scions that can ruin your poo poo very quickly in an enclosed space.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Amateur Saboteur posted:

Quick, someone fill in the blank for the 'amazing area' team I'm theorizing.

Volus Eng, Justicar, Demolisher, ____ .

Don't listen to the people saying Fury, they're stuck in a pre-explosion world. What you want is a Paladin, because Paladin-Demolisher is hands down the single most broken pair of dudes in the game. Any other two classes are just extras.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Oct 13, 2012

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

The New Black posted:

Man, Phasic Rounds are awesome. From the description I wasn't sure what they actually did since it only lists the bonus damage and shield regen delay bit they most do something else because I used them on my Javelin for Geth Gold and I was killing everything except Primes with a single body shot.

I just got Javelin up to level IV last night, but haven't used it in... ever. I guess I should fix that, then?

James R
Dec 22, 2006

I hear they're still eating paper. Is that true?
This is going to sound stupid, but I remember someone posting a link to a website that lets you check your stats etc and I cannot for the life of me find it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

How are people speccing their BatSent nowadays? I haven't played him since back when he was one of the weaker classes in the game and I figured I might as well roll with him for the Shockwave achievement.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
Is the havoc strike or whatever the ghetto biotic charge worth a poo poo? I can't seem to get a feel for it. I've been charging, popping a pack and shotgunning dudes in the face but it just doesn't seem that good

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

precision posted:

The Anime Classes (Shadow and Slayer) completely loving rock and are amazingly effective without ever having to use guns at all.

:raise:

Have you tried Shadow Striking a Ravager? That doesn't ever end well.

On balance I guess I agree, Shadow kills trash faster than anything else going right now, but getting hit with any sort of DoT is a death sentence, and you end up running around in a haze of blood most of the time. Not the good Krogan kind either.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mr Dog posted:

:raise:

Have you tried Shadow Striking a Ravager? That doesn't ever end well.

Eh? I do it all the time. As long as you get out of the goo-pool quick enough, it's a great way to take them out after you weaken them with a couple Paladin shots to the... face? Is that a face?

Backstabbin' Brutes is also super fun times.

Slayer is just ridiculous, if you have a Volus buddy you can just run around Phase Disrupting All The Things without breaking a sweat.

Now I just need to unlock the Turians and the N7 Paladin. :argh:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

precision posted:

Then tell me how you built it, because I am not having much fun with this. Sure I can one-shot Cents/Marauders/Rockets, but then I feel pretty useless.

edit: Justicar/Demolisher/VolEng/Fury, easily. Can set up one giant "everything in here gets dead immediately" field or set up an almost-as-deadly field while having another entrance completely watched. All while having the ability to fall back to a bonus shield area with free shield boosts every 3 seconds. And if it gets really bad (somehow) the biotic bubble can come back to add even more DR to that.

Explosions everywhere.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Oct 13, 2012

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ravenfood posted:

Then tell me how you built it, because I am not having much fun with this. Sure I can one-shot Cents/Marauders/Rockets, but then I feel pretty useless.

0/6/6/6/6. Spec Shadow Strike for Shield Drain. As long as a Banshee is looking the other way, you can Shadow Strike one to death pretty quickly, especially if you're detonating Tech Bursts. Obviously take the 75% damage bonus to Shields evolution in the Sword tree and suddenly Shadow Strike is insane. It's also more reliable than Biotic Charge as an "oh poo poo, Calgon take me away" button since you don't even have to have line of sight, as long as you can see the enemy's name, even if it's through four walls, you can teleport to them. After a Strike, if it's not dead, actually use your melee attacks.

Electric Slash is amazing for crowd control, it travels crazy far and obviously makes for great tech bursts.

If you can't do any of that, there's no shame in shooting things in the head with a high damage Pistol, because believe it or not that's still a solid strategy.

I dunno, I'm having fun with it, the new classes are refreshingly different from the old playstyles.

edit: If you really want to, 3/6/6/5/6, but Tactical Cloak is not really anything more than a utility skill here, I wouldn't say she fits the Infiltrator model but rather just got stuck in there for symmetry or whatever.

precision fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Oct 13, 2012

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

The New Black posted:

e: on reading up, it sounds like they do a massive bonus against shields and barriers so perhaps that allows more damage through the gate or something?

How does the extra shield damage work anyway with shield gating? As I understand it

Say you do 1000 damage per shot and the bad guy has 500/500 with 90% shield gate - you shoot him, and he ends up with 450/0 (1000 - 500 shields = 500 *10% = 50 to health).

What if you have a 400% shield damage modifier? Does that just straight up calc into pure damage?
4000 - 500 shields = 3500 * 10% = 350 to health?!

That can't be right, but Bioware math.

James R
Dec 22, 2006

I hear they're still eating paper. Is that true?
Currently playing on xbox and in a team that wiped on round three. I got into the game in the second round and in the third round I was last man standing and ran out of time for the upload because I couldn't hold off every single enemy myself.

Are people retarded for the most part? Jesus.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

precision posted:

0/6/6/6/6. Spec Shadow Strike for Shield Drain. As long as a Banshee is looking the other way, you can Shadow Strike one to death pretty quickly, especially if you're detonating Tech Bursts. Obviously take the 75% damage bonus to Shields evolution in the Sword tree and suddenly Shadow Strike is insane. It's also more reliable than Biotic Charge as an "oh poo poo, Calgon take me away" button since you don't even have to have line of sight, as long as you can see the enemy's name, even if it's through four walls, you can teleport to them. After a Strike, if it's not dead, actually use your melee attacks.

Electric Slash is amazing for crowd control, it travels crazy far and obviously makes for great tech bursts.

If you can't do any of that, there's no shame in shooting things in the head with a high damage Pistol, because believe it or not that's still a solid strategy.

I dunno, I'm having fun with it, the new classes are refreshingly different from the old playstyles.

edit: If you really want to, 3/6/6/5/6, but Tactical Cloak is not really anything more than a utility skill here, I wouldn't say she fits the Infiltrator model but rather just got stuck in there for symmetry or whatever.

If you ignore tactical cloak, you're denying yourself a 90% damage bonus to shadow strike. http://narida.pytalhost.com/me3/classes/#45MDKILM9@0XE@@F4@0@0@0

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

exquisite tea posted:

How are people speccing their BatSent nowadays? I haven't played him since back when he was one of the weaker classes in the game and I figured I might as well roll with him for the Shockwave achievement.

http://narida.pytalhost.com/me3/classes/#33LKOFF@0@0@A@@@0@0@0@0

Here's the caster build I roll with and I like it a lot. For a weapon try to stay as light as possible without giving up stopping power. You want something like a Piranha, Talon, Hurricane etc. I use a Piranha X on mine and get a +195% weight bonus.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Tremors posted:

If you ignore tactical cloak, you're denying yourself a 90% damage bonus to shadow strike. http://narida.pytalhost.com/me3/classes/#45MDKILM9@0XE@@F4@0@0@0

I know, but I'd rather max everything else out and Shadow Strike does enough damage on its own for me. When you look at the raw numbers of enemy HP, Shadow Strike will either kill a mook outright without the bonus, or be a great finisher for a boss.

I forgot how much this thread loves its "YOU MUST PLAY THIS WAY" mindset, though. Not directed at you in particular.

If Fitness wasn't also Sword Mastery, I'd say go 6/6/6/6/0 because the amount of damage done these days makes Fitness a dubious skill at best. Things will remove all your shields whether you have points in it or not, unless you stack up on boatloads of buff Gear and consumables.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

precision posted:

I know, but I'd rather max everything else out and Shadow Strike does enough damage on its own for me. When you look at the raw numbers of enemy HP, Shadow Strike will either kill a mook outright without the bonus, or be a great finisher for a boss.

The problem is, killing ceberus troopers is whatever. It's being able to sword-in-spine the midtier problems like Marauders, Pyros, and the like that matter. And I don't think Shadow Strike can do it without cloak.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Aren't I supposed to stop getting cards for classes I've maxed out? This is dumb.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Fifty Three posted:

Aren't I supposed to stop getting cards for classes I've maxed out? This is dumb.

Only rares.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Psion posted:

The problem is, killing ceberus troopers is whatever. It's being able to sword-in-spine the midtier problems like Marauders, Pyros, and the like that matter. And I don't think Shadow Strike can do it without cloak.

Enemies are also more likely to turn around and block your Shadow Strike if you just use SS instead of entering Tactical Cloak for a second and then initiating SS.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Fifty Three posted:

I think that doesn't apply to the four new classes

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Rudoku posted:

Only rares.
That explains it, then. All I wanted to do was max out Shotgun Blade Attachment and I couldn't even do that because human Adepts and poo poo kept getting in the way. :mad:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Psion posted:

You can one-shot Marauders, I do it all the time. Actually, I think you might have to follow it up with a light melee if they're at full Shields, but close enough.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

precision posted:

You can one-shot Marauders, I do it all the time. Actually, I think you might have to follow it up with a light melee if they're at full Shields, but close enough.

I've gotten hit->staggered->killed by a barely-alive Shadow-Struck Marauder more times than I can count.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Amateur Saboteur posted:

I should have known something was up when I was running Golds with 2 goons and a guy with the Lone Wolf title pops in (the title gainedfor soloing every difficulty including Plat).

Oh, does that title mean you're good? :smug:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
Origin's friend system is such poo poo. Is there any way to tell who's still playing aside from guessing who to pick on the list from the OP?

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

precision posted:

I forgot how much this thread loves its "YOU MUST PLAY THIS WAY" mindset, though. Not directed at you in particular.

I don't think anyone in this thread has that mindset. You posted about a build and someone commented on it. It tends to happen in a game discussion thread. You can always ignore any advice given and no one will care. I've learned a lot from people criticizing my builds though.

Gerdalti posted:

Origin's friend system is such poo poo. Is there any way to tell who's still playing aside from guessing who to pick on the list from the OP?

Read the thread and make note of the active posters who are on PC. Also post your ID and platform so people can find you.

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

Gerdalti posted:

Try checking your friends' profiles in the N7 HQ and look at their hours played or something.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Lagomorphic posted:

I don't think anyone in this thread has that mindset. You posted about a build and someone commented on it. It tends to happen in a game discussion thread. You can always ignore any advice given and no one will care. I've learned a lot from people criticizing my builds though.

Also, respeccing your character (and getting them back to full strength) is rather time consuming. You'll have to live with the build you made until you have a respec card or promote your class and relevel them up.

GODS NOT REAL
Sep 25, 2012

YOU STUPID BUNNIES
I really don't know how people get so good at this game. I always contribute the least amount of points to my team for some reason. Maybe it's my build, not having the right weapons or something.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

drat I love the harrier but the ammo capacity is poo poo...currently using it in my ghost. Any recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Memorize the location of ammo boxes, use it with a Demolisher.

zxqv8 posted:

These challenges have me playing Cut-Rate Commando lately. Dragging out the starter weapons on the Destroyer to get achievements makes me feel so dirty. There's something slightly off about a Destroyer rocking an Avenger X and a Phalanx X.

Nah, do this on bronze with a regular human soldier. Demo day!

I am using a Katana for the same reason. Can't wait to 'graduate' to the Scimitar.

• Locked thread