Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Weinertron posted:

So I've got two terrible cell phone pictures of a car I saw slogging it through morning gridlock on my way in to work that sounded like it has more than 8 cylinders and smelled like it had no cats. Can someone help me identify this?

Can anyone help me figure out what I'm looking at other than the world's dirtiest windshield?

That's a Ferrari 330 GT 2+2. And you are right, it has a V12.

e: Wait, no. It's a 330 GTC.

Babies Getting Rabies fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Oct 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Thanks to both of you. I love seeing people drive around classics like that.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:patriot: Godspeed, lady

http://www.wimp.com/womancar/

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
From Coolamundo:

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE

parrhesia posted:

That's a Ferrari 330 GT 2+2. And you are right, it has a V12.

e: Wait, no. It's a 330 GTC.

My old boss had a 330 GT he would drive to work on occasion.

A couple months before he "retired" he bought a 60-something corvette split back window l. He would have worked from that car if he could. The man has multiple ferrarri's, Porsches, and a Lotus Lola, but loved the vette the most because it was his childhood dream car.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
If I ever get rich, I will have exotics, and then a dusty first gen Viper because of the same reason.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

jvick posted:

60-something corvette split back window

1963 was the only year with the split window, and is desirable because of it. :eng101:

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

MiniFoo posted:

1963 was the only year with the split window, and is desirable because of it. :eng101:

Why did they go away from it? Was it a visibility issue? I can't imagine it was for cost because those single piece back windows cost as much as the car.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

some texas redneck posted:

If I flog the poo poo out of my Altima with the a/c on it'll dip to about 17 mpg. And that's winding it out to redline in every gear, WOT or foot off the gas.

It has a 2.4 instead of a 1.4, with slightly more hp/torque (150 hp/154 tq), only 5 gears, and isn't much lighter than a Cruze. Don't forget the 80s engine design, and it's closer to 200k than 100k.

Which is why I'm a bit shocked at 19 mpg from a 1.4. Laggy turbo or not.
I'm not the least bit shocked; engines get loving THIRSTY when you flog them to the limit. I don't mean WOT until you get up to speed limit then coast, but more WOT right up to the brake point, then round the corner and repeat. An engine can literally burn through 3-4x more fuel than normal under track conditions. If his commute lets him drive just a little more track-like than yours, it could easily happen.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

DrPain posted:

For a second I thought that was a racetrack built into an ocean cruise liner.

How did this never happen in Speed Racer?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I remember this being explained a long long time ago, but remind me why the front tires have negative camber on those old rear end race cars?

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

:black101:

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.
I think it made steering easier before power steering was a thing.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Paul Boz_ posted:

Why did they go away from it? Was it a visibility issue? I can't imagine it was for cost because those single piece back windows cost as much as the car.

Yep, visibility - in the days before rear-view cameras, people had to actually look outside of their cars, and a pillar straight down the middle makes that hard.

Somewhere there's a photo of a patched-up VW Beetle with a newer-style large window, and a whole stack of small rear windows cut out of other older Beetles. Even though nostalgia has made split-window versions of pretty much any given car more desirable, they were never as practical as a large single window.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

veedubfreak posted:

I remember this being explained a long long time ago, but remind me why the front tires have negative camber on those old rear end race cars?
They had positive camber because it was the only way they could get the contact patch under the steering bearing.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Yeah, the split window was just a dumb idea. Neat looking, but dumb.

The independent rear suspension and fuel injection were really good ideas though, and in 1965 they added giant-for-the-time 4 wheel disc brakes too. Then they offered big block engines and aluminum cylinder heads.

That generation of Corvette just owned.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES

Wow I'd give my first born child for that car. That looks amazing

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

:black101:

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

MiniFoo posted:

Put a battery in this one a couple years ago.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Toucan Sam posted:

Put a battery in this one a couple years ago.

That photo is so American I'm surprised there's not a Bald Eagle and a set of truck nuts somewhere in there.

God it's purdy. :hawaaaafap:

travisray2004 fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Oct 13, 2012

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Sidepipes and knockoffs :3:

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
I need one o' them FREEDOM plates for my car when I get back to murricah

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

grover posted:

It's almost funny to look at high performance supercars of the 80s and see how they compare to what we're driving now. I mean, when you consider that tire technology has improved dramatically over the last 30 years as well, I'm wondering if a 2013 V6 camry could drive off the dealer's lot and through a time portal and beat an early 80s Lamborghini around a track.

No, it's not a dream, it's 2012 and we're all driving supercars!

To put this in perspective, I drive a 5,000 pound Dodge Ram and I would murder those cars at the dragstrip.

Bring Back Noid
Sep 16, 2005

That guy looks an awful lot like JC Denton

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Crossposting from the station wagon thread

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

VikingSkull posted:

Yes, PLEASE.

:getin:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

poo poo me, that's awesome!!

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
Damnit! I want that so badly!

Herr FLSH
Feb 10, 2006

(click for bigger)

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Are you listening, BMW? I am seriously considering buying an $80k American car (:clint:) because you aren't shipping real wagons to North America.

RWD 335 Touring. Sell me one, fuckers.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Herr FLSH posted:

(click for bigger)

What is this? It's beautiful.

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

88h88 posted:

What is this? It's beautiful.

68 Chevelle

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
A few of BMW Art cars are on display at a local Museum of Modern Art. I went there a took a couple of pictures:

The rest of the photos can be found here: https://picasaweb.google.com/111416010640150292517/BMWArtCarsEMMA02?authkey=Gv1sRgCMySpNa66IfLPQ

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
No it isn't !

Squeeze
Jul 23, 2012
I've seen several ad's of that exhibition, but I've been putting it off for some reason. Definitely gonna go check it out now that I've finally seen pics of what's there.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

InitialDave posted:

No it isn't !

I think 'Touring' refers to the racing series, not the bodystyle. You'll notice the M1 says 'Group 4' and the E30 says 'Group A.'

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

drgitlin posted:

I think 'Touring' refers to the racing series, not the bodystyle. You'll notice the M1 says 'Group 4' and the E30 says 'Group A.'
:thejoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Apparently they belong to some Japanese tycoon.