Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Small White Dragon posted:

I always thought "either ... or ..." meant one or the other, but not both.

Nope. People use it to mean that, but logically if I can have thing a or thing b, I can also have thing a and thing b. You have to specify that I can't have both if that's what you intend.

Nobody in real life is going to care about that, but in a formal debate or a philosophy paper or something you'll get nailed for it because or is does not denote exclusivity of the statements on either side of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

More of a coding horror but...

:smithicide:

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

omeg posted:

More of a coding horror but...

:smithicide:

Ahh Siemens.

One of their UK offices is in a town called Staines.

Siemens Stains

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011

...but it did fail.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Lum posted:

Ahh Siemens.

One of their UK offices is in a town called Staines.

Siemens Stains

When I worked for a company in Australia, it was hosted in the Siemens complex (they had a whole building that they were letting out).

Right next door was a brothel.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Migishu posted:

When I worked for a company in Australia, it was hosted in the Siemens complex (they had a whole building that they were letting out).

Right next door was a brothel.

Outer eastern Melbourne? I used to drive past that every day with my boss, who would always point out the brothel, the Siemens complex, the fact that it was funny, and then laugh for the next 10 minutes.

Took all the humour out of it for me.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Boronia. I found it funny that a pharmaceutical company worked in that building.

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Good night catte thread, give them all many patts. I'm sorry,
I had no idea there was a brothel there.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Got this one today:

And this one a few days ago. I guess microsoft has a different idea of what a "low space condition" is than I do.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

The Word one says "Serious disk error detected in sparse.txt".

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

So you created a 16TB sparse file and then tried to open it in stuff?

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Nope. People use it to mean that, but logically if I can have thing a or thing b, I can also have thing a and thing b. You have to specify that I can't have both if that's what you intend.

Nobody in real life is going to care about that, but in a formal debate or a philosophy paper or something you'll get nailed for it because or is does not denote exclusivity of the statements on either side of it.

But Small White Dragon didn't say "a or b", he said "either a or b". The word "either" implies exactly that exclusivity property that you're talking about, in English.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Lum posted:

So you created a 16TB sparse file and then tried to open it in stuff?

Yeah, basically.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Those are all totally expected and reasonable error messages, though. The NotePad one even tells you exactly what the problem is.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Fuschia tude posted:

But Small White Dragon didn't say "a or b", he said "either a or b". The word "either" implies exactly that exclusivity property that you're talking about, in English.

It doesn't actually. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/either

As you can see, it carries either definition. Further clarification is necessary to give it the "but not both" meaning. This is why you end up with bad error messages or poorly translated messages. People assume that everyone understands a word to mean what they think it means, when it's a totally colloquial usage and not one that everyone will necessarily understand.

When you're talking about technical communication, which error messages most assuredly are, it pays to be precise.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Those are all totally expected and reasonable error messages, though. The NotePad one even tells you exactly what the problem is.

I'm sorry. "System cannot find the file"? "Serious disk error"? And outright crash of winamp? I don't see how those are reasonable in any way. "Disk full" I can kind of understand even if it's not really correct.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
You're attempting to load a file that's 16 terabytes even though it stores within 64 kilobytes. It also doesn't contain any valid media data. Of course it's going to crash winamp when it attempts to parse the file for media content and metadata.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Sparseness of the file is completely transparent to the application. All reads of the "missing" parts just return 0. And if the application crashes on malformed input... Well, we're one step away from buffer overflows and code execution.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

omeg posted:

Sparseness of the file is completely transparent to the application. All reads of the "missing" parts just return 0. And if the application crashes on malformed input... Well, we're one step away from buffer overflows and code execution.

Test it: see if it still happens with a sparse file 192 GB in size, a sparse file the size of your system RAM, then a sparse file the size of 2 GB minus one byte, then a sparse file that's only 512 megabytes.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

omeg posted:

Most of these applications are going to try to read the entire file into memory on load. Only applications that are streaming the file in and out of memory are going to be able to work with this.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

omeg posted:

You're artificially creating a situation that is very unlikely to actually occur in typical use of these applications. It's totally unsurprising that there's not an error message specifically for it. These are software, not AIs. This thread is for error messages that are funny and don't make sense, not where you feed malformed files to random applications and get a relatively mundane response.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

You're artificially creating a situation that is very unlikely to actually occur in typical use of these applications. It's totally unsurprising that there's not an error message specifically for it. These are software, not AIs. This thread is for error messages that are funny and don't make sense, not where you feed malformed files to random applications and get a relatively mundane response.

Just you wait 5 years!

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

And anyway, Winamp, the only program that didn't catch it with some exception handler beyond the basic "dump core because something is horribly wrong," has a history of being a poorly coded piece of poo poo with multiple buffer overflow vulnerabilities. Next someone is going to post an IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL blue screen from pre-SP2 XP like it's some surprise. "But look at how unhelpful and obtuse it is, it doesn't even mention that it's a video driver!"

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

thelightguy posted:

Next someone is going to post an IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL blue screen from pre-SP2 XP like it's some surprise. "But look at how unhelpful and obtuse it is, it doesn't even mention that it's a video driver!"

You can always load the dump into a debugger and check! :v:

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Sagebrush posted:

Got this one today:

In a similar vein:

Not that I wouldn't kill for download speeds even a millionth of that.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Not an error message but similar to those two, League of Legends gave me a patch for which the percentage bars made no sense at all and the time remaining value was, well, not only was it less than helpful, it was less than anything.

I was on Mumble with some friends at the time and we discussed it for a while trying to decide what negative minutes and negative seconds would actually translate into. We didn't reach a conclusion.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Tunga posted:

Not an error message but similar to those two, League of Legends gave me a patch for which the percentage bars made no sense at all and the time remaining value was, well, not only was it less than helpful, it was less than anything.

I was on Mumble with some friends at the time and we discussed it for a while trying to decide what negative minutes and negative seconds would actually translate into. We didn't reach a conclusion.

Clearly you're going to have to reinstall the game 3 times once this is done running to have an actual positive installation.

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

omeg posted:

The Word one says "Serious disk error detected in sparse.txt".

The real horror here is that each Microsoft product handles this completely differently. They wasted time writing the same basic "load this file from disk" in each project, which means they all turned out bad.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Gordon Cole posted:

The real horror here is that each Microsoft product handles this completely differently. They wasted time writing the same basic "load this file from disk" in each project, which means they all turned out bad.
Office is super special, every single dialog was made specifically for Office and if you decide to get the next OS you'll want to update Office so all the dialogs work correctly.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal

Tunga posted:

League always does that, the negative time phase is it applying the binary patches it just downloaded. Why? Because riot games.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

I like getting this error message when I'm editing small basic PHP files.

Does what's advertised too. The auto-save feature it has under Lion is annoying as hell though, you can't even turn it off and it doesn't show you when it saves.

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

I would avoid using Xcode for anything other than Cocoa development. Try Sublime Text instead.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

I thought it was interesting.

Anyway, regarding Mac OS text editing. Why not Text Wrangler?

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Gordon Cole posted:

I would avoid using Xcode for anything other than Cocoa development. Try Sublime Text instead.

I would avoid using Xcode for anything including Cocoa development. Try Sublime Text instead.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

I'm gonna give both suggestions a try. XCode's code highlighting is also bugging the hell out of me, and I hate editing a file and looking for something just long enough for auto-save to occur, especially when I'm editing a file opened with my FTP client, where the auto-save tends to result in the edited file being uploaded and XCode not knowing what to do(Other than alerting me that the file is gone, I can't continue editing it, occasionally resulting in a crash or that error message)

Normally I barely ever have to work on code so I never bothered installing anything else, but I've got some nice new challenges. Mainly just wrangling existing code to do a few additional tasks or translating it though. Nothing quite like coming across a program that's half translator files and half hardcoded text and having to check everything to make sure you didn't miss something.

EDIT: Sublime Text 2 does exactly what I need it to do and has a very pleasing interface as well as features. Got my code all wrangled up and doing what I need it to do.

Smoke fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Oct 21, 2012

baked
Apr 1, 2005

i took a little nap where the roots all twist; squished a rotten peach in my fist.

EvilMuppet posted:

I had no idea there was a brothel there.

I had no idea either - I must have driven past there hundreds of times and never noticed. Sure enough on street view a (small) sign on the house - "Night Moves".

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

baked posted:

I had no idea either - I must have driven past there hundreds of times and never noticed. Sure enough on street view a (small) sign on the house - "Night Moves".

Clearly they're just after-hours furniture movers though. Clearly.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
It's the headquarters/practice space for a Bob Seger cover band.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

rscott posted:

It's the headquarters/practice space for a Bob Seger cover band.

Naw man, the Bob Seger's band was talking about THAT place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

octan3
Jul 10, 2004
DoNt dO DrUgs
I think this was an error message, hard to tell as it just appeared for no real reason...

I'm sure someone will get around to those controls one day.

• Locked thread