Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

the black husserl posted:

I was lucky enough to work with Nathan Myrhvold and the Modernist Cuisine team tonight. Here are some authentic "Myrhvold Moments"

Myrhvold Moment 1: (upon noticing that the pilot light on a gas burner is heating a dish) "Now we're cooking with gas!!......I wish we weren't"

Myrhvold Moment 2: (nathan myhrvold faces the kitchen wall, eating handfulls of 72 hr pastrami shortrib while staring blankly at nothing) "....Pastrami."

What kind of crazy techniques were you using?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

What kind of crazy techniques were you using?

The technique of being told "Oh we don't really care about food cost, just mandoline the top half of the candy beet so you don't cut your fingers"

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

They also don't care about wearing gloves but they are OBSESSED with using damp paper towels to prevent oxidation.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
How many patent infringement lawsuits have they filed against your kitchen?

So far, I mean.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

SubG posted:

How many patent infringement lawsuits have they filed against your kitchen?

So far, I mean.

Haha, I posted about getting the MC@Home book for my birthday on FB, and someone had to jump in and be all "I'm sure it's nice but I would NEVER buy anything that Myrhvold does..." and a killjoy.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

pile of brown posted:

I'll be brief and try not to pimp my new job too hard; I work at the Lido Restaurant at the Dolphin Bay Resort in Shell Beach. It's pretty spendy because we are in the resort, but the five-course chef's tasting dinner is a pretty good deal and too much food. We have a good menu with a range of flavors kept pretty simple.

Tried to PM you, but you no has PM's. We would like to dine at yo place sometime this week, tasting menu. When are you working? Should I get reservations through you or via opentable/whatever?

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
I have come into possession of a decent 6-quart pressure cooker. I'm slightly nervous about blowing myself up but it does seem pretty straightforward. Any suggestions for things to try, uh...pressuring?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

GrAviTy84 posted:

Tried to PM you, but you no has PM's. We would like to dine at yo place sometime this week, tasting menu. When are you working? Should I get reservations through you or via opentable/whatever?

yeah no PMs, sorry. If you want to hit me up I'm bigwoodkenny at gmail but I'm kind of bad about checking it. if youre on facebook my gmail is my name. I don't have any special clout (my bad if i made you think i was chef or anything im a line cook) so just making a reservation on the phone or opentable is fine. The tasting menu is always available at dinner but if you let me know when youre coming in or let your server know youre my friend from the internet we can usually sneak in some extra little somethings. I work tuesday-saturday nights, if youre down to make a day of it we do a wine tasting thing on tuesdays during happy hour, different local wineries come out and pour tastes of a bunch of their wines and you get a free mini pizza and live music on the oceanside patio, iirc it starts at 430

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Spent today picking and destemming our grapes. Currently turning into juice, and the fermentation will begin tomorrow. :getin:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's halloween, which means I'll be making my famous skittle and raisinet pruno.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Getting stuff ready to go small game hunting in the morning. :clint:

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Casu Marzu posted:

That's a cool looking finish on your H&R. I bought a bunch of birdshot and I'm planning on taking my lady to the range next weekend so she can shoot clays, and hopefully bag us some birds.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Casu Marzu posted:

Ugh if there is one thing I don't miss from my childhood it's picking birdshot out of my food

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Eat This Glob posted:

That's a cool looking finish on your H&R. I bought a bunch of birdshot and I'm planning on taking my lady to the range next weekend so she can shoot clays, and hopefully bag us some birds.

I know, right? This little gun has been carried through countless bogs and forests longer than I've been alive. It's a great little small game shotgun. Light enough to carry all day and with field loads just enough kick to let you know you're alive and having fun. :D

I love shooting clays, too. I have a 1960s Wingmaster with a 30" barrel for that though.

mediaphage posted:

Ugh if there is one thing I don't miss from my childhood it's picking birdshot out of my food

Ahahaha, as my dad and grampa always told me, "it's a character-building experience".

Edit: same thing I'm gonna tell the gff and kids. :colbert: That, or more food for me.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

mediaphage posted:

We were always told that it was a mark of quality of the meat..

However... I once sprained a tooth (yes - that apparently is possible) on a piece of birdshot...

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Hypnobeet always told me that I would like America's Test Kitchen, since I tend to be pretty scientific when I'm tinkering with a recipe. But I watch very little TV, and I've still never seen it. Good article today on the man behind it:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/14/magazine/cooks-illustrateds-christopher-kimball.html

This part confuses the gently caress out of me:

quote:

At the core of C.I.’s M.O. are two intrepid observations Kimball has made about the innermost psychology of home cooks. Namely that they 1) are haunted by a fear of humiliation, and 2) will not follow a recipe to the letter, believing that slavishly following directions is an implicit admission that you cannot cook.

One, who would be humiliated by cooking something? Even if you gently caress it up, it still beats eating frozen pizza or whatever. I learned from example from my mom that making mistakes is part of the process, and eating less-then-perfect meals still feeds you. I can't imagine being afraid to experiment in the kitchen!

Two is bullshit too; if I get a recipe from a reputable source, drat straight I'm going to follow it to the letter. If I like it, I can tweak it on successive attempts. Besides, it's not like a recipe contains everything you need to know, as a lot of cooking skill comes from experience with the little things.

Finally, don't these two things contradict each other? If you were afraid of some mysterious humiliating failure, wouldn't you follow the recipe to the letter?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Squashy Nipples posted:

Hypnobeet always told me that I would like America's Test Kitchen, since I tend to be pretty scientific when I'm tinkering with a recipe. But I watch very little TV, and I've still never seen it. Good article today on the man behind it:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/14/magazine/cooks-illustrateds-christopher-kimball.html

This part confuses the gently caress out of me:

One, who would be humiliated by cooking something? Even if you gently caress it up, it still beats eating frozen pizza or whatever. I learned from example from my mom that making mistakes is part of the process, and eating less-then-perfect meals still feeds you. I can't imagine being afraid to experiment in the kitchen!

Two is bullshit too; if I get a recipe from a reputable source, drat straight I'm going to follow it to the letter. If I like it, I can tweak it on successive attempts. Besides, it's not like a recipe contains everything you need to know, as a lot of cooking skill comes from experience with the little things.

Finally, don't these two things contradict each other? If you were afraid of some mysterious humiliating failure, wouldn't you follow the recipe to the letter?
Yeah, that sounds like crap to me. I might browse recipes for inspiration, but when I choose to follow a recipe, by cracky, I follow it - at least the first time, and almost always with baking.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

I think he's right.

Just by virtue of being here, you're not in quite the same category as the home cooks Kimball is talking about.

The beliefs are contradictory, but that's because home cooks are fed some really contradictory ideas. Nobody wants to fail in front of other people, but nobody wants to admit that they aren't talented, either. Think of all the people who come here desperate for advice, get good advice, and then ignore it and do stupid poo poo because they know better!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I never follow a recipe to the letter. For one thing, recipes never have enough garlic.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Squashy Nipples posted:

I've never seen the show, but Cook's Illustrated is kinda like Prochef or something like that. It's solid, but completely uninspired. It's like they're locked in this historical moment in like the '70s or something, where they've gotten past the weenies-in-aspic '50s and they're all hip to the no bullshit better cooking preached by Julia Child like the Good News it was and is, but their head's still in this place where ingredients like avocado and bean sprouts are still faintly exotic. In The New Best Recipe a quiche is just a vertical egg casserole. Their cooking is like something you'd get from the cafeteria in a rest home for very rich white people.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I never follow a recipe to the letter. For one thing, recipes never have enough garlic.

Or onion, or shallots. Everything needs onion and garlic and shallots. That said, does the average home cook even know what a shallot is?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Fair enough. That said, garlic is a little like salt... there is rarely a "correct amount".

SubG posted:

but their head's still in this place where ingredients like avocado and bean sprouts are still faintly exotic.

Yeah, this quote really jarred me: "More than 1,000 pounds of fudge later, the recipe wouldn’t work without a candy thermometer, a tool Kimball judged too exotic for the home kitchen"

Um, what? A candy thermometer isn't just basic equipment, it's required equipment for making candy! Maybe once I've been making candy for 40 years I'll be able to do it by feel, but otherwise, there is no shame in measuring how hot your sugar is.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Haha, ATK practically demands everyone buy a $90 Thermapen but a $10 candy thermometer is too exotic?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

:negative: I am so glad I don't have to survive off of what I shoot, because I'd be eating acorns tonight. So many turkey hunters out. Saw three squirrels in 9 hours and only one was close enough in to even attempt a shot.

At least it was beautiful out. Partly sunny and a high of 59F. Great day to be in the woods. :)

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Or onion, or shallots. Everything needs onion and garlic and shallots. That said, does the average home cook even know what a shallot is?

Last time I bought shallots the lady ringing me up had no clue what they were and asked me what they were used for.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

SubG posted:

I've never seen the show, but Cook's Illustrated is kinda like Prochef or something like that. It's solid, but completely uninspired. It's like they're locked in this historical moment in like the '70s or something, where they've gotten past the weenies-in-aspic '50s and they're all hip to the no bullshit better cooking preached by Julia Child like the Good News it was and is, but their head's still in this place where ingredients like avocado and bean sprouts are still faintly exotic. In The New Best Recipe a quiche is just a vertical egg casserole. Their cooking is like something you'd get from the cafeteria in a rest home for very rich white people.

In other words, completely stuck in Nouvelle Cuisine. The same place where most of cooking thought is frozen. As for Kimball...

quote:

“I’m happier eating at Di Fara,” he claims, meaning the slice parlor in an Orthodox Jewish section of Midwood, Brooklyn, that has been occasionally hounded by the city’s Health Department. “Just real pizza,” Kimball enthuses. “No duck sausage and crap.”

He's a loving moron.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Casu Marzu posted:

:negative: I am so glad I don't have to survive off of what I shoot, because I'd be eating acorns tonight. So many turkey hunters out. Saw three squirrels in 9 hours and only one was close enough in to even attempt a shot.

At least it was beautiful out. Partly sunny and a high of 59F. Great day to be in the woods. :)

Is that why I've been seeing turkeys running around in the city for the last couple weeks??

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
As the article suggests, ATK/CI is more concerned about "foolproof" than about "the best" which is great for giving beginner cooks like me confidence in dealing with new dishes. I expect when I get more accustomed to cooking then I'll start looking elsewhere.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

This is the God's honest truth right here. People criminally low-ball garlic.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I despise Kimball. I hate his attitude, his weird folksy letters, and his unscrupulous tendency to wring people for every last penny. Like, I'd be happy to subscribe to CI, and did, once, but then found that some subscriptions only give you partial access to anything. I'd constantly get popups asking for more money to access this recipe or that. Bleugh.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I have some rather large (size of a small onion) shallots in my kitchen right now. Found a great local market that sells them for $1.99 a pound. I use them a lot, sometimes instead of onion.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

the black husserl posted:

In other words, completely stuck in Nouvelle Cuisine. The same place where most of cooking thought is frozen. As for Kimball...
It's not even nouvelle cuisine, but some sort of weird middle-market knockoff of nouvelle cuisine. It's like a plastic pouch of microwavable Lean Cuisine Lobster Thermidor. Whether or not you dig the original, it's easy to see how flat and lifeless the copy is.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

mediaphage posted:

I despise Kimball. I hate his attitude, his weird folksy letters, and his unscrupulous tendency to wring people for every last penny. Like, I'd be happy to subscribe to CI, and did, once, but then found that some subscriptions only give you partial access to anything. I'd constantly get popups asking for more money to access this recipe or that. Bleugh.

I agree with most of this and also feel like all of his folksy letters could end with him raising a pistol to his head and pulling the trigger. There is something really creepy about them.

However, CI was amazingly helpful when I was learning how to cook, they really are very thoroughly written recipes and I like knowing the why behind what I am doing.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

bunnielab posted:

I agree with most of this and also feel like all of his folksy letters could end with him raising a pistol to his head and pulling the trigger. There is something really creepy about them.

Hahahaha that would be horrific. Also funny as poo poo in a creepy way.

"Remember the smells from Grandma's kitchen? Today we're going to look at the best way to bake an apple pie, review three different cheese cutters and answer some viewer mail. Up first, I told you I was hardcore!" :shepface: <gunshot>

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
So, post mortem :

MY GIRLFRIEND and I went on an awesome paddleboat ride a couple years ago while in the south of Germany. We were driving through the Schwarzwald, and stopped in a small rural town called Titisee. You could rent paddleboats, but there were also all these awesome cheese and charcuterie shops around that we wanted to try. We didn't have much time to do both, so we decided to be a bit ridiculous and just take some cheese and a bottle of wine out on the lake - much to the chagrin of some elderly German paddleboat-ticket-taker guy. It ended up being a superb idea, and one of the highlights of that trip.

I think that particular adventure has kind of sat with us over the last couple years, and I know when I think about all the reasons why I love dat girl, a willingness to embrace ridiculousness is pretty far up there...

In any case, we knew you could rent paddleboats at a local state park, so we planned to spend an leisurely afternoon hiking and taking a ride around the lake - again with a picnic. she didn't suspect anything, this just sort of happened to come up, and was pretty much entirely her idea. But, I decided to bring the ring and a bottle of dom perignon along for the ride this time.

she said yes. we ate some epoisses in the middle of a lake and fed some ducks. life was/is good.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Nature + nostalgia + romanticism

8/10 good job

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Nature + nostalgia + romanticism

8/10 good job

AND THEN WE FLEW TO CHICAGO THE NEXT DAY AND ATE AT NEXT AND THE AVIARY AND MOTO, AND I GOT OUR HOTEL ROOM UPGRADED AND GOT A LIMO CAR AND poo poo TOO OK?

DO I GET POINTS FOR THAT?

but really, thanks :3 it turned out great and thank you for anyone who said proposing in a restaurant would be a poor idea because basically it would have been a poor idea {after course 34 of 22% abv ricewine}

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

mindphlux posted:

AND THEN WE FLEW TO CHICAGO THE NEXT DAY AND ATE AT NEXT AND THE AVIARY AND MOTO, AND I GOT OUR HOTEL ROOM UPGRADED AND GOT A LIMO CAR AND poo poo TOO OK?

DO I GET POINTS FOR THAT?

but really, thanks :3 it turned out great and thank you for anyone who said proposing in a restaurant would be a poor idea because basically it would have been a poor idea {after course 34 of 22% abv ricewine}

The point, my friend, isn't to make the proposal so good that it is impossible for her to refuse - the point is to make it good enough that she is not embarrassed if she should chose to, but still get the answer that will satisfy your requirements.

Edit: Holy poo poo.. forgot to write something...

THAT's loving AWESOME! Congrats!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Okay so when are you getting married? We have a competition to keep going here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Okay so when are you getting married? We have a competition to keep going here.

Didn't you hear? Felix Baumgartner's jump was a test run for mindphlux's wedding.