Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Gordon Shumway posted:

Either I'm hallucinating, or the venting hazard on Reactor happens whether you trigger it or not. Whatever the case may be, I was just cursed at for two rounds while an angry pubbie dicked about, firing at me and preventing me from doing anything, all because he was inside the reactor when it vented and blamed me, saying I had pushed the button repeatedly.

No, I think someone has to press the button. But since activation is on space like everything else, if you're in the wrong spot you may trigger it accidentally when trying to sprint/take cover/roll/do anything at all. And naturally one of your teammates can trigger it when you're not paying attention as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

My only problem with glacier is that it (used to be) best to play cerberus but with the addition of dragoons, it makes 4-point objectives impossible. Since the map is so small, they'll get from spawn to the objective before you can finish defusing and their attack will knock you off.

They'll even just smash randomly at the objective if you're cloaked.

Yeah I actually prefer Geth for soloing now that Dragoons are a thing. I just finished getting the Lone Wolf title so I don't think I'll be soloing again for a while. I got the Gold matches done with a Kroguard on FBW/Geth it really is a bigger Glacier now and it's a fun map for running about as a Vanguard since there's plenty of walls to keep you from getting sniped by a prime on the other side of the map.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Felinoid posted:

No, I think someone has to press the button. But since activation is on space like everything else, if you're in the wrong spot you may trigger it accidentally when trying to sprint/take cover/roll/do anything at all. And naturally one of your teammates can trigger it when you're not paying attention as well.
Speaking of the reactor, I discovered you can survive it as a Destroyer if you have Stronghold gear. Eat poo poo, douchebag teammates! :haw:

Lagomorphic posted:

I've been using radius at rank 4 since the patch and haven't had any issues yet. I've been using the human adept quite a bit as well. If you skip radius and take the range evo on shockwave it's not uncommon for the power to miss since it has a travel time and always fires in a straight line even if the enemy moves.
When I was grinding out Biotic God this week, it was definitely bugged. Like, stand directly in front of enemy, watch it sail straight through him. And only after wave 6. I respecced out of radius, and while it was more annoying to target, it definitely worked the whole game.

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.

Lagomorphic posted:

Yeah I actually prefer Geth for soloing now that Dragoons are a thing. I just finished getting the Lone Wolf title so I don't think I'll be soloing again for a while. I got the Gold matches done with a Kroguard on FBW/Geth it really is a bigger Glacier now and it's a fun map for running about as a Vanguard since there's plenty of walls to keep you from getting sniped by a prime on the other side of the map.

Man, I hate Geth Bombers much more than Dragoons. They're completely murderous on hacks.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

KingShiro posted:

I've seen the same thing happen with the N7 Infiltrator. Some guy was using it as a sniping class. Never saw a Shadow Strike or Melee the entire game.

I've always wondered what goes through the minds of players who slap heavy weapons onto caster classes and fruitlessly try to snipe. Are they expecting their sick Call of Duty/Modern Warfare skills to own and score better than everyone else that's using their powers properly and exploiting biotic and tech explosions? Do they even grasp the concept that there are different classes including one that is specifically meant running and gunning?

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:

randombattle posted:

Pro tip the higher difficulty matches count for the lower ones too. Gold solo was a lot of fun with the Krogan vanguard.

If you're not loving with me, this is awesome news. I figured I'd just start at the lowest difficulty and move up. I'm retarded.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I feel like I'm missing something obvious but how does one use the AT-12 Raider effectively? The description of how it works does not remotely match what it seems to do when I press the Awesome Button.

Arcaeris posted:

If you're not loving with me, this is awesome news. I figured I'd just start at the lowest difficulty and move up. I'm retarded.

I can confirm this too, I was surprised that BioWare actually had the sense to do it that way.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
If nobody cycles the reactor for a certain length of time, it will cycle itself. At least that's what I've observed. I've yet to have it cycle with a hack or drone inside, but I don't know if that's coincidence or deliberate.

I really want the Outsider badge first but the requirements for those are so punishing I'll probably end up with Cerberus first. I want credit for my previous hundreds of Drellguard waves. :mad:

The Cerberus requirements are kind of weird too, I got all three Phantom badges before a single Trooper badge.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

precision posted:

I feel like I'm missing something obvious but how does one use the AT-12 Raider effectively? The description of how it works does not remotely match what it seems to do when I press the Awesome Button.
1) equip a choke
2) fire at dudes

If 1) is not complete, ineffectually pelt enemies with popcorn.

Also, the triple-shot doesn't work while you're hosting. Only use the raider off-host.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Elotana posted:

The Cerberus requirements are kind of weird too, I got all three Phantom badges before a single Trooper badge.

Challenges are based on scoring points, Phantoms are worth a lot more points than troopers and are fairly common, especially on Gold and higher where you fight a lot fewer troopers too. It's easy to get Dragoon points as well because they're worth a lot and spawn in large numbers.

I'd like to get the Blood Pack one myself but completing 200 waves as every krogan/vorcha/batarian character is pretty daunting.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Speaking of the reactor, I discovered you can survive it as a Destroyer if you have Stronghold gear. Eat poo poo, douchebag teammates! :haw:

When I was grinding out Biotic God this week, it was definitely bugged. Like, stand directly in front of enemy, watch it sail straight through him. And only after wave 6. I respecced out of radius, and while it was more annoying to target, it definitely worked the whole game.

Odd maybe I've just been lucky wtih lag or something. I'll save a respec card in case I start having problems.

The New Black posted:

Man, I hate Geth Bombers much more than Dragoons. They're completely murderous on hacks.

Bombers are a non-issue for Kroguard though you can just time your charge for when their bombs explode then backhand them to up your rage count and avoid all damage from the explosion. I'm finding them less troublesome the more I fight them they have a pretty predicitible animation set that they run through with each bombing run.

Arcaeris posted:

You still can do it this way just do five bronze then 3 silver then 2 gold. I did it this way because I needed to get my Kroguard back to level 20 for the gold runs.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

1) equip a choke
2) fire at dudes

If 1) is not complete, ineffectually pelt enemies with popcorn.

Also, the triple-shot doesn't work while you're hosting. Only use the raider off-host.

Ahhh, I was hosting, that explains it. Danke.

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?

Teeter posted:

Anyone mind recommending a few guns to me? I've started to unlock some of the rare and UR but the few that I know to be good are only at rank I. I play mostly N7 Fury but also do a bit of Destroyer, Shadow, and just unlocked Kroguard but have yet to make a build yet.

Here's my manifest. I really wish I had better SMGs or pistols because I like playing the casting classes so much.

e: Paladin too. I just unlocked that and want to give it a go after hearing so much that the patch changed.

For the Fury you're probably best taking the tempest or locust (depends if you want more damage or more accuracy) with a high velocity barrel and ULM. You wont be shooting a great deal so a light SMG is a good option for finishing off wounded enemies and dealing with guardians while keeping your cooldowns low. You could try the hornet but I've never done well with it. You could even try the avenger as long as you stick to bronze/silver. YMMV. Shadow and Kroguard I'd take the piranha with smart choke and the blade attachment for more shadow strike and melee damage. When you unlock the melee attachment for the pistol, I'd switch to the phalanx or carnifex with that and a scope for the Shadow. Again YMMV, experiment and see what you like and what you do well with. For the Destroyer cooldowns aren't important so go with whichever two guns you want. I'd say your biggest and best are the crusader, typhoon, geth plasma shotgun or maybe the widow. I'm not up to date on what makes a good paladin build right now what with the new updates and him being quite a buggy character so check the OP. Though in my experience you can't go wrong with 6/6/6/4/4 for any character.

As for unlocking more stuff its best to buy veteran packs so you can get your uncommons maxed then move on to spectres and premium spectres. Theres so many items now its tough unlocking upgrades to the guns you like, but all the characters you mention are very gold capable so it shouldn't be long before you max your uncommons (the majority of which are viable on higher difficulties) and stockpile some consumables and ammo powers in the process. Then you can move on to the big stuff. Also try and do all the weekend ops you can. The promo guns are mostly very good and getting a hurricane or two would pretty much solve all your caster weapon problems.

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Challenges are based on scoring points, Phantoms are worth a lot more points than troopers and are fairly common, especially on Gold and higher where you fight a lot fewer troopers too. It's easy to get Dragoon points as well because they're worth a lot and spawn in large numbers.

I'd like to get the Blood Pack one myself but completing 200 waves as every krogan/vorcha/batarian character is pretty daunting.

Yeah I'm trying to get the reaper one and let me tell you getting husk badges is a real slog.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???
Collector notes:

You can pop the scion humps like the atlas crotch, and can also score normal headshots

Possessed abominations do not detonate if you kill them with a special death animation (headshot, any melee decapitation, particle rifle goo). Lashing them at your teammates will not yield a special death animation.

Radius shockwave no longer bugged, at least not on PS3

Seeker swarms are spawned by captains. Try to prioritize them.

Praetorians weak spot is the underbelly. You can shoot a piece of armor off and a bunch of husk heads become exposed. His laser goes through walls and kill you if you're standing, but if you're legit in cover it will pass through you harmlessly.

Amateur Saboteur
Feb 5, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I can confirm that it's not actually possible to die as Kroguard with a shield boost versus Geth on anything short of Platinum.

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?

"Jos Hendriks posted:

The layout changes to Firebase White were made (at my personal request) to address camping, not farming. Farming has never been an issue.

Ahaha tell me more, guy who said he would eat his hat if people managed to farm Plat FBW :yum:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
Well, now I can compensate for the muzzle hop of the M-4 Shuriken without thinking about it at all. Thanks, BioWare.

Also, I take back what I said about the Locust, it the perfect SMG to put a scope on for my human female Infiltrator.

Silver Alicorn fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Oct 15, 2012

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Pumpking posted:

Ahaha tell me more, guy who said he would eat his hat if people managed to farm Plat FBW :yum:

because you see, farming for credits by camping in the downstairs of White is different from camping in the downstairs of White for credits. Obviously. :colbert:

highmodulus
Feb 16, 2011

Let's go crazy Broadway style!
How dumb do they think we are?

Wet Biscuit McGlee
Jul 13, 2006

girls hate me

Pumpking posted:

I'm getting a flashback of Vanilla Ice saying "It's not a ripoff. Their song goes "ding ding ding ding ding ding ding." Mine goes "ding ding ding DA-DA ding ding".

In other news, lots of snipers getting a buff according to another dev.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Wet Biscuit McGlee posted:

I'm getting a flashback of Vanilla Ice saying "It's not a ripoff. Their song goes "ding ding ding ding ding ding ding." Mine goes "ding ding ding DA-DA ding ding".

In other news, lots of snipers getting a buff according to another dev.

buff the Black Widow again, Bioware

do it

highmodulus posted:

How dumb do they think we are?

It's understandable if they read the Dragon Age forums or forget about the rest of the playerbase outside BSN

Psion fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Oct 15, 2012

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Amateur Saboteur posted:

I can confirm that it's not actually possible to die as Kroguard with a shield boost versus Geth on anything short of Platinum.

And very possible to survive the reactor hazard with one, as well. Either that, or I had a very well-timed charge.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

I suppose it depends on their definition of farming. If I'm parsing it right, roaming Glacier/Cerberus/Gold for example would be farming but not camping, while Glacier/Platinum in The Room was camping. But that's just basically them making up a new term so they can classify the old one as playing normally instead of what everyone else takes it to mean.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Felinoid posted:

That's the thing, I was nowhere near the button, and neither was the other teammate who was outside the reactor. Also, I played another game where it seemed like it went automatically whenever the levels got high. Is it something that depends on the difficulty?

Psion posted:

because you see, farming for credits by camping in the downstairs of White is different from camping in the downstairs of White for credits. Obviously. :colbert:

Somebody tell me again why camping is an issue in a cooperative multiplayer game?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Decided to brave gold and to my surprise I didn't die, first game had an awful team, a kroguard that died every wave and a slayer that never helped anyone or did objectives, we still made it to wave 9 somehow.

Next game was much smoother, dumb kroguard and slayer left, we got a salarian engie and a BIOTIC GOD who went down like a billion times but he did help, 2 hilarious moments for him, he goes down at one point and rolls off the upper platform, then in wave 9 he rolled off again but fell through stage and behind the stairs.

Got a salarian engie and asari vanguard so I'm pretty happy overall.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

1st AD posted:

On PC I tend to find myself in way too many Gold/Collectors/White lobbies. And people are always trying to hold down the downstairs office as if that was somehow a secure location to hold.

When I play through the new FBW I'm always running around kind of like it's a bigger Glacier, I have no idea why people try to hold a 1000 square foot office that has 3 entrances.

People keep trying to hold it because it has always been the place to bunker down in until this patch. Give them a few weeks and they might learn it isn't best. Though if you have a decent squad it isn't a terrible place to hole up because you can control the crowds in those halls pretty easy.

BrokenKnees
Aug 28, 2008

Ow.

Gordon Shumway posted:

Somebody tell me again why camping is an issue in a cooperative multiplayer game?

If camping/farming is too easy it takes away from the sale of real money spectre packs.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Gordon Shumway posted:

That's the thing, I was nowhere near the button, and neither was the other teammate who was outside the reactor. Also, I played another game where it seemed like it went automatically whenever the levels got high. Is it something that depends on the difficulty?

Maybe. I had a Silver game earlier where we let it sit for waves and waves, and it never went off unless someone touched it. We used it all of two or three times the entire game, I think.

Amateur Saboteur
Feb 5, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BrokenKnees posted:

If camping/farming is too easy it takes away from the sale of real money spectre packs.
It's also incredibly dull and since they're gone though 'good' games are harder to come by depending on your own skill and gear when you actually manage to get some they are much more satisfying and entertaining and that is pretty much objective truth.

There is no one except maybe a person who literally could only get carried in a farm that will confess that sitting one place the entire match is more fun than being tactically mobile.

Amateur Saboteur
Feb 5, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I now wish to obtain the pistol mastery because Gunslinger sounds :clint: as gently caress, yet all of them seem like such awkward weapons compared to other guns. The hard hitters seem like they want to be scopeless Snipers and the light ones want to be ARs or SMGs. A lot also seem to have a gimmick like the Acolyte. What about the Arc? What is the gimmick there and who would you use it on?

What about the lovely ones like Predator on which class could I rack points with that thing?

I was thinking Asari for the Paladin/Carnifex for easy 1 shot headshots but does anyone have a better idea?

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Saying it's more fun would be silly, but that doesn't mean it isn't still fun to a degree. Sometimes you just feel like taking it easy and blowing heads off from relative safety. Plat farming was also plenty clusterfucky to get your blood up even with how easy it was. But mostly those were to keep the main extremely mobile mode of the game from getting stale. The palette cleansers to the regular playing's steak.

They also kept all the scrubs out of the regular games. If you think it's bad now with all the people just coming back to try out the DLC, wait until all the utter morons finally figure out that they can't farm anymore. Silver could become unplayable, at least as a team. Soloing with three people leeching credits is a possibility, I suppose, but not a particularly fun-sounding one to be doing regularly.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Gordon Shumway posted:

People playing games want to win and have fun. When the most effective strategy is boring as gently caress you've failed as a game designer because you've put these desires into conflict.

Or they just want more people buying packs with real money instead of easy space-bucks.

Amateur Saboteur posted:

I now wish to obtain the pistol mastery because Gunslinger sounds :clint: as gently caress, yet all of them seem like such awkward weapons compared to other guns. The hard hitters seem like they want to be scopeless Snipers and the light ones want to be ARs or SMGs. A lot also seem to have a gimmick like the Acolyte. What about the Arc? What is the gimmick there and who would you use it on?

What about the lovely ones like Predator on which class could I rack points with that thing?

I was thinking Asari for the Paladin/Carnifex for easy 1 shot headshots but does anyone have a better idea?

The Arc Pistol's gimmick is that it can be fired as a weak semi-auto comparable to the Phalanx or charged to fire a single more powerful shot. It's probably best used on casters same as the Predator.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006
Plus it's the only gun that can be fired while you run. Not that it's easy to aim while you do that, but it is unique to that pistol.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

MadBimber posted:

Plus it's the only gun that can be fired while you run. Not that it's easy to aim while you do that, but it is unique to that pistol.

Any chargeable gun can do that. I've done it with the Graal plenty and a few times with the Kishock just yesterday.

Of course, that comes with a price. Accidentally step down off the slightest lip while charging it and bam, there's a wasted shot.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Felinoid posted:

Any chargeable gun can do that. I've done it with the Graal plenty and a few times with the Kishock just yesterday.

Of course, that comes with a price. Accidentally step down off the slightest lip while charging it and bam, there's a wasted shot.

Well, I'll be! Just went and tried it out, you're quite right. I'd still say its most useful with the arc pistol since you can stand to miss, but I guess it'd be okay with the plasma shotgun or graal too.

Amateur Saboteur
Feb 5, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Having scored the most points (only significant being literally the criteria for completing the challenges) in a Gold run using the Arc and only getting 11% progress has dampened my enthusiasm. I mean the Arc is supposed to be the best pistol I own and 11% per match is powerful slow work.

True, I was playing Paladin and spamming skills a lot but could a Soldier or some other vanilla gunman really do well with just a pistol to support his steroids?

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

The gun challenges are supposed to take a while I think.

Lagomorphic posted:

People playing games want to win and have fun. When the most effective strategy is boring as gently caress you've failed as a game designer because you've put these desires into conflict.

Or they just want more people buying packs with real money instead of easy space-bucks.

The problem with Geth/White is they should really look at why exactly everyone always fights Geth and work on making the other enemy groups less bullshitty to fight rather then constantly buffing the Geth. It's the combination of not bullshit enemies and straight forward layout that makes G/W so appealing.

People grind on Geth because they don't have a million horseshit instant kill enemies that grab you from 90 miles away. Aside from the occasional rocket spam the Geth just don't have the boss rush of reapers and they don't have have laser accurate turrets that can kill you in a second like cerberus. They have the least lovely collection of enemies so they can either buff Geth to have some equally crappy mechanic or maybe they should take a look at turrets and banshee grabs.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

randombattle posted:

People grind on Geth because they don't have a million horseshit instant kill enemies that grab you from 90 miles away. Aside from the occasional rocket spam the Geth just don't have the boss rush of reapers and they don't have have laser accurate turrets that can kill you in a second like cerberus. They have the least lovely collection of enemies so they can either buff Geth to have some equally crappy mechanic or maybe they should take a look at turrets and banshee grabs.

0/10 troll post, didn't mention the word stagger once
MAD ABOUT GETH

but yes, they were easily killable in a map with grabs because they had no way to displace you. Geth Bombers fill that role now - I don't think farming geth is as easy as it was with that addition alone.

also Collectors may be totally ridiculous, the Praetorian instakill is really brutal (it basically scoops out your brain Starship Troopers style) but man. Satisfying to win against them.

e: joined a game, someone else joined after me as a volus and immediately got a kickvote. Well screw you, I'm not voting to kick that volus :colbert:

Psion fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Oct 15, 2012

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

randombattle posted:

The gun challenges are supposed to take a while I think.

I don't know, I go the Talon challenge done really quick.

randombattle posted:

The problem with Geth/White is they should really look at why exactly everyone always fights Geth and work on making the other enemy groups less bullshitty to fight rather then constantly buffing the Geth. It's the combination of not bullshit enemies and straight forward layout that makes G/W so appealing.

No people were grinding Geth because they're slow, didn't have grenades and were easily funneled into a firing range on FBW. It really was shooting fish in a barrel. I had actually switched to Cerberus for most of my gold level grinding because they were the easiest faction to fight outside of FBW.

The main thing that made Cerberus so easy is that they didn't have armored enemies other than the slow as gently caress Atlas and the stationary Turret so they very completely vulnerable to Stasis, Pull, Singularity, Cryo ammo etc. Dragoons have patched that weakness which has made Cerberus less trivial to fight.

Psion posted:

e: joined a game, someone else joined after me as a volus and immediately got a kickvote. Well screw you, I'm not voting to kick that volus :colbert:

Why do people hate fun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.

Psion posted:

0/10 troll post, didn't mention the word stagger once
MAD ABOUT GETH

This is why the new best classes for geth are Krogans and Batarians, since their stagger resistance was massively increased. Hunter shot won't stagger, Prime cannon hardly does either.

• Locked thread