Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Goddamn legion was such a tease.:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Gamesguy posted:

He wanted to write it like it was a TV pilot, so that's sort of the point.
Doesn't make it any easier though :shepicide:

platero
Sep 11, 2001

spooky, but polite, a-hole

Pillbug

Gamesguy posted:

Brandon Sanderson is like a Terminator, only he's here to write awesome stories instead of stopping Sarah Connor. He doesn't get tired, he doesn't take breaks, he just writes wonderful fantasy/scifi.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
I want y'all to look at the price on the Legion audiobook right now.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

I hope this isn't a glitch, I would of been willing to spend a credit on this book but I hope this was Brandon's idea.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Neat, you can even get it with an inactive audible account.

I don't even like audiobooks, and I have it on my kindle, but... why not?

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
I don't know if any of you watched Brandon's livesteam last night on The Story Board, but it was really good. My girlfriend and I love him and his ideas on "form and function" are just so... correct. Really inspiring little webchat. Also he has a cute cat.

Oh yes, and he talked about the Legion audiobook being free thing, too. So it's not a glitch.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Nice, I'd like to listen to- not available in my country. gently caress you.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

toanoradian posted:

3) Kelsier is like the most fun character in the book. He's just the right combination of dick and nice and he makes the other characters better. Nobody in the crew is like him. All the crew is too rational, too realistic. How depressing is the next two books? Or is there any Kelsier-like characters worth a drat in it?

TenSoon kind of became the "awesome character you wish you saw more of" to me. He has a really interesting arc, even if how he got to it is a bit creepy.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

subx posted:

TenSoon kind of became the "awesome character you wish you saw more of" to me.

Considering the Faceless Immortals in Alloy of Law, you might just get your wish sooner or later.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
Listened to Legion today. Fun book, though I think it would've worked better if it had a little more time to flesh everyone out.

platero
Sep 11, 2001

spooky, but polite, a-hole

Pillbug

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

Listened to Legion today. Fun book, though I think it would've worked better if it had a little more time to flesh everyone out.

Well shoot, there's only 3 actual characters, right ;)

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

platero posted:

Well shoot, there's only 3 actual characters, right ;)

6 by my count. Leeds, the butler, the grad student, the client, the inventor, and the terrorist.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Drunk Tomato posted:

I don't know if any of you watched Brandon's livesteam last night on The Story Board, but it was really good. My girlfriend and I love him and his ideas on "form and function" are just so... correct. Really inspiring little webchat. Also he has a cute cat.

Oh yes, and he talked about the Legion audiobook being free thing, too. So it's not a glitch.

Hahahaha, first thing Sanderson says: "I love endings. I write everything towards the ending" Would never have guessed. :v:

Sanderson looks like someone I could meet at my office (I'm a programmer). On the other hand, Rothfuss looks exactly like I thought he would.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

Edmond Dantes posted:

Hahahaha, first thing Sanderson says: "I love endings. I write everything towards the ending" Would never have guessed. :v:

Sanderson looks like someone I could meet at my office (I'm a programmer). On the other hand, Rothfuss looks exactly like I thought he would.

I didn't like the 2nd one and that might have been due to the fact that I only knew of one of the authors he had on as guests but the first Story Board was really good as well. So if you liked this one go check out the first one as well.

Edit: Best part is Jim Butcher is in some kind of hut out in the woods since he was currently on a LARPing trip.

Clinton1011 fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Oct 5, 2012

This Post Sucks
Dec 27, 2004

It Gave Me Splinters!

Edmond Dantes posted:

It all makes sense!

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
I love the idea that Sanderson comes up with his book endings first, then constructs the rest of the book to reach that point.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

keiran_helcyan posted:

I love the idea that Sanderson comes up with his book endings first, then constructs the rest of the book to reach that point.

That would explain a lot about how his books are paced.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

quote:

Brandon Sanderson ‏@BrandSanderson

Stormlight 2 moved to 10% done. Latest chapter: A Parshendi viewpoint for the interludes.

A potential voidbringer perspective?

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.
I don't know what it is but there is something about the stormlight series that makes the hair on the back of my neck stick out whenever I think about what could potentially happen going forward. It's really weird, I have some criticisms of the first book, but at the same time the world and potential just seem so cool that I can't help getting really excited for the next book.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Huh, just got an email from Amazon about The Emperor's Soul's release date being moved forward by two weeks. Nice!

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Strumpy posted:

I don't know what it is but there is something about the stormlight series that makes the hair on the back of my neck stick out whenever I think about what could potentially happen going forward. It's really weird, I have some criticisms of the first book, but at the same time the world and potential just seem so cool that I can't help getting really excited for the next book.

I completely agree. In the last few months, i've devoured the Abercrombie trilogy, the first 2 books of the Kingkiller Chronicles, am about halfway done w/Book 2 of the Gentlemen Bastards cycle, and while i've really enjoyed them all, I'm most excited for the next chapter in the Stormlight Archives. Possibly even more so than the final WoT book ( and I started reading around the time Path of Daggers came out :( )

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

404GoonNotFound posted:

Huh, just got an email from Amazon about The Emperor's Soul's release date being moved forward by two weeks. Nice!

My copy arrives tomorrow. I had forgotten about it till I saw the shipment email. I'm still amazed by how prolific is he.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

ElMudo posted:

My copy arrives tomorrow. I had forgotten about it till I saw the shipment email. I'm still amazed by how prolific is he.

For some reason mine isn't arriving til Monday even with Prime two-day, which usually doubles as release-day shipping. Weird.

This Post Sucks
Dec 27, 2004

It Gave Me Splinters!
Oh man, I didn't know it was out. Thank you Amazon Prime next day! I'll have it tomorrow.

I just wish it was in hardback :(

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

What's the publisher turnaround on his books? If he's finished in April (which in Sanderson-speak is probably Feb or March), will we be seeing a summer or autumn release?

Not A Hydroxyl Ion
Oct 10, 2007

Adventure!
Well, The Emperor's Soul arrived in the mail today. I'm about a third of the way through and enjoying it so far, though not much has "happened."

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Is there an ebook?

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Not A Hydroxyl Ion posted:

Well, The Emperor's Soul arrived in the mail today. I'm about a third of the way through and enjoying it so far, though not much has "happened."

Did you order yours from Amazon or somewhere else? I'm kind of annoyed that my copy hasn't even shipped yet since it means I won't have time to pick it up from my apartment's leasing office until next weekend. :sigh:

Not A Hydroxyl Ion
Oct 10, 2007

Adventure!

Kreeblah posted:

Did you order yours from Amazon or somewhere else? I'm kind of annoyed that my copy hasn't even shipped yet since it means I won't have time to pick it up from my apartment's leasing office until next weekend. :sigh:

I preordered it on Amazon back in June. As far as I know there isn't an ebook.

Anyway, I enjoyed the novella (and its afterword, which just further demonstrates how crazy Sanderson is when it comes to his inspirations), but of course it left me wanting more. Unsurprisingly, the characters weren't as fleshed out as those in his longer works, but his maturation as a writer (from Elantris to the present) is still pretty clear. I'm so excited for Stormlight 2.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
So I just finished The Emperor's Soul and goddamn he needs to make this into a full novel... but after Stormlight book III. And the Alloy of Law follow-up. And the second full Mistborn trilogy. And at least three episodes (pilot and two-part season finale, of course) of the hopefully inevitable Legion TV series.

Some sort of time travel may be required :ohdear:

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
How long is The Emperor's Soul? A novellette like Legion or a normal novel like The Final Empire? I want to know if my entertainment will suddenly end in few hours or if it will sustain me for at least a week.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

toanoradian posted:

How long is The Emperor's Soul? A novellette like Legion or a normal novel like The Final Empire? I want to know if my entertainment will suddenly end in few hours or if it will sustain me for at least a week.

Definitely Legion-sized. Cut out the post-script and special thanks and you're looking at somewhere around 155 pages.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Hey, I just reread Mistborn a bit back, and something occured to me. How did they know to arrest the Renoux barge? I mean, I highly doubt that they would have made Marsh an Inquisitor if he had admitted to be being a Skaa thief. It seems like the kind of thing that makes sense when you think they killed him, but not in retrospect.

Did I miss something or has Brandon addressed this?

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

The Glumslinger posted:

Hey, I just reread Mistborn a bit back, and something occured to me. How did they know to arrest the Renoux barge? I mean, I highly doubt that they would have made Marsh an Inquisitor if he had admitted to be being a Skaa thief. It seems like the kind of thing that makes sense when you think they killed him, but not in retrospect.

Renoux was supplying weapons to the Skaa rebellion, and had no support among the nobles. That is enough to make them an Example.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

The Glumslinger posted:

Did they get the information from the members of Vin's old gang before they were killed?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
No, this came relatively soon after the skaa rebel army was crushed, I think the ministry probably found links between them, the weapons/supplies they had and Renoux's shipping concern.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Been reading The Final Empire, I haven't finished without spoiling anything can anyone answer... Does it ever make sense why Vin who doesn't trust anyone falls in love with a noble at first sight? or is that part of her change? also is it explained in the first book the lord ruler becoming god and why the Final Empire is the way it is, socially and environmentally(all dat ash)?

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Ulio posted:

Been reading The Final Empire, I haven't finished without spoiling anything can anyone answer... Does it ever make sense why Vin who doesn't trust anyone falls in love with a noble at first sight? or is that part of her change? also is it explained in the first book the lord ruler becoming god and why the Final Empire is the way it is, socially and environmentally(all dat ash)?

The second question is answered in the third book I can give a short non-spoilery synopsis if you want. Don't look at the spoilers if you don't want to know.

When the person got to the Well of Ascension, they were given god-like powers, so they attempted to fix the mist problem in a terribly crude way. They tried to burn it off the planet by moving the planet closer to the sun. That caused excessive heat, so they then had to make the ashmounts spew ash to darken the skies. This killed the plants and people, so their physiologies were altered so they could survive the ash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Ulio posted:

1st answer: Teenager + hormones + rebellious rich boy?