Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

WescottF1 posted:

I don't recall seeing this one mentioned yet, but that goddamn cell phone one with the prick dad deciding who gets the most data on the shared plan is getting old..

MOSHT DENTAL WORK!

I must see it at least four times a night during primetime TV... ugh.

I personally like seeing how lovely the home life of ADA Novak from Law & Order SVU is. She just wants to take a drat bath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

ElwoodCuse posted:

He's absolutely not, that would be another very easy "likelihood of confusion" Lanham Act claim.

I would dearly love to see this go to court on First Amendment grounds. I'm pretty loving sure that a human being owns the rights to their own face when they're acting as themselves, not whoever they first worked for when they got famous. Not that it would surprise me in the least that decades of corporate aggrandizement of the law have tried to set precedent otherwise.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Oct 15, 2012

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

I really hate those drat gamefly commercials. Although it really shows what petulant loving babies gamers are.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

TontoCorazon posted:

I really hate those drat gamefly commercials. Although it really shows what petulant loving babies gamers are.

Seriously, they drive me crazy. "9 dollars? I paid 60 for this new!" Well, yeah, and now it's used. You can either take the guaranteed money from GameStop, or take your chance and hope someone will buy it from you online or something. Games lose value the exact second you open them, like driving a car off of a lot. Dont' throw a loving tantrum in a store, you baby.

And then there were the "screaming and throwing things" commercials a little while back. Because that is absolutely a reasonable way to react to a bad game, and portrays your target demographic in a very positive light.

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online
That goddamn InvisiLine commercial where the one twin has InvisiLine and the other twin still has braces. "I can't eat popcorn..." "I LOVE POPCORN." Great parents.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

SpacePig posted:

Seriously, they drive me crazy. "9 dollars? I paid 60 for this new!" Well, yeah, and now it's used. You can either take the guaranteed money from GameStop, or take your chance and hope someone will buy it from you online or something.

How anyone doesn't know about Amazon's trade in offer is beyond me. But hey commercials :haw:

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Capn Beeb posted:

How anyone doesn't know about Amazon's trade in offer is beyond me. But hey commercials :haw:

Or Glyde if you just plain want cash.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

404GoonNotFound posted:

Or Glyde if you just plain want cash.

Now I'm the fool. Hang on a moment while I defenestrate my TV! :ssj:

E:

Wow, $12.75 for the last Assassin's Creed? Amazon was gonna give me a quarter.

constantIllusion
Feb 16, 2010
I just saw a Christmas commercial for Target. Halloween isn't for another two weeks! :gonk:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Target loves Christmas. They also love eating farts.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

McSpanky posted:

I'm pretty loving sure that a human being owns the rights to their own face when they're acting as themselves, not whoever they first worked for when they got famous.

Nope, that's the cost of being a spokesman. Also, and this is the key part, is that its both video games in both things. That's the entire crux of the issue. He could have been out there pitching Jello at a picnic and there wouldn't have been an issue.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sash! posted:

Nope, that's the cost of being a spokesman. Also, and this is the key part, is that its both video games in both things. That's the entire crux of the issue. He could have been out there pitching Jello at a picnic and there wouldn't have been an issue.

Yeah, I don't think anybody cared when he did those Bridgestone commercials which were just for tires. It'd be like if the guy from those "Most interesting man in the world" commercials did ones for another beer company, even if he wasn't playing the same character.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Sash! posted:

According to the likelihood of confusion clause of the Lanham Act, the offending persons must be actively trying to conflate two different products or trademarked images to deceive consumers. This guy was dressing, speaking, acting differently and portraying a character completely distinct from his Sony executive character in the previous commercials. The only thing linking the two characters is the same individual actor and the mere subject of videogames in both commercials. An imbecile could tell the two apart. They might have a point on the dilution by blurring clause, but that's almost as big a stretch for the reasons already mentioned.

I sincerely hope that whomever judge draws this case has the good sense to see it for the legal bullying bullshit that it is, and realize that being a person who did a thing once doesn't mean they can't ever do a similar thing again simply because cameras were rolling the first time. Though again, I would (very, very begrudgingly) understand if it doesn't go that way. After all, when it comes to civil law corporations are the biggest whiniest :qq: babies on the planet.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 15, 2012

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Gonz posted:

Target loves Christmas. They also love eating farts.

Target put their Christmas poo poo out in a small corner of the seasonal aisle with the Halloween stuff--in like loving late August when the back-to-school crap was gone.

McSpanky posted:

According to the likelihood of confusion clause of the Lanham Act, the offending persons must be actively trying to conflate two different products or trademarked images to deceive consumers.

Intent is only one of eight factors considered by courts in cases brought under the Lanham Act, and it's not as simple as "if we can check off enough of these factors, the plaintiff wins". No one element is singly determinative.

MailboxFullOfBombs
Nov 1, 2010

Capn Beeb posted:

Now I'm the fool. Hang on a moment while I defenestrate my TV! :ssj:

E:

Wow, $12.75 for the last Assassin's Creed? Amazon was gonna give me a quarter.

Goozex gives a better value for trade-ins towards another used game. For instance, Glyde will give me $6.50 for Battlefield Bad Company 2, Goozex will give me almost 1/3rd of a full priced new game (Dishonored = 1000 points, trade in for Bad Company 2 = 300 points).

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

constantIllusion posted:

I just saw a Christmas commercial for Target. Halloween isn't for another two weeks! :gonk:

Got an email from Yankee Candle telling me to buy my Christmas scented candles before it's too late.

A) Alright that's the most first world problem ever to have,

B) It's fuckin October, it's not gonna be too late to have a candle.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

ElwoodCuse posted:

Target put their Christmas poo poo out in a small corner of the seasonal aisle with the Halloween stuff--in like loving late August when the back-to-school crap was gone.

Intent is only one of eight factors considered by courts in cases brought under the Lanham Act, and it's not as simple as "if we can check off enough of these factors, the plaintiff wins". No one element is singly determinative.

I know, I was trying to keep the derail as simple and brief as possible, and I guess enough has been said about it by now, anyway. As if it wasn't obvious enough, I don't look kindly on the corporate influence on intellectual property law in general. Don't even get me loving started on Walt Disney or DC Comics.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

muscles like this? posted:

Yeah, I don't think anybody cared when he did those Bridgestone commercials which were just for tires. It'd be like if the guy from those "Most interesting man in the world" commercials did ones for another beer company, even if he wasn't playing the same character.

him doing a beer commercial I'd see as a problem. Him doing a commercial for Johnsonville Brats or something and drinking another brand of beer while grilling would be a better comparison. This all could have been avoided if they just thought to switch to Move controllers but nobody would know what those were which is probably Sony's bigger problem

Edit: regarding Goozex. Nobody seems to be trading anything anymore. it's hard to get rid of any points you have accumulated. I think that site is pretty much dead

Tree Dude fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Oct 16, 2012

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Timett posted:

him doing a beer commercial I'd see as a problem. Him doing a commercial for Johnsonville Brats or something and drinking another brand of beer while grilling would be a better comparison. This all could have been avoided if they just thought to switch to Move controllers but nobody would know what those were which is probably Sony's bigger problem

Why would they have used Move controllers? The promotion they were doing in the commercial involved the Wii, hence they were playing on a Wii with Wii controllers.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Ah my bad. Didn't realize there was a promotion. Shows how much I pay attention. I just thought somebody decided messing with motion controllers would be cool in the ad.

SpeedGem
Sep 19, 2012

by Ralp
SAY CHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-uh-EEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSS

loving calm act can't come fast enough.

The FCC adopted the rules on December 13, 2011. They will take effect on December 13, 2012.

Fun fact, when this commercial comes on my cat attacks the satellite speaker closest to him.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

raditts posted:

Why would they have used Move controllers? The promotion they were doing in the commercial involved the Wii, hence they were playing on a Wii with Wii controllers.

Hmm. Maybe the fact that there was a promotion for another platform involved complicates it.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I'm so sick and tired of Verizon's stupid shared data commercial. The one with the tuba.

It's a horrible commercial about an absentee father who couldn't be bothered enough to show up to his son's lovely recital. It should be focused on the grandparents who presumably live very far away.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Thwomp posted:

I'm so sick and tired of Verizon's stupid shared data commercial. The one with the tuba.

It's a horrible commercial about an absentee father who couldn't be bothered enough to show up to his son's lovely recital. It should be focused on the grandparents who presumably live very far away.

But on the other hand, the Beverly Hills Cop Theme played on a tuba is pretty bad-rear end.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Thwomp posted:

For my recital piece I will be playing Axel F.
The "F" stands for "farts."

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
Worth watching if somebody stuck a banana in the tuba first

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
Are tuba recitals actually a thing? I've always just thought of them in marching bands, never as a solo instrument.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=instream&v=Yx3-AWouTy8

of all the commercials to parody for his re-election campaign ads, he chooses this one?

getting real old seeing this one and the one "Hispanics for Obama" in spanish none-the-less, every youtube video I watch.

gently caress you ohio.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 17, 2012

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

The Human Cow posted:

Are tuba recitals actually a thing? I've always just thought of them in marching bands, never as a solo instrument.

It looks weird because he's playing a sousaphone sitting down in a concert setting - he's actually not playing a tuba, which is what he would/should be playing instead.

sousaphone:

tuba:

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Having a Top Chef Masters also-ran try to convince me that Taco Bell is selling food that's either a)authentic or b)good somehow winds up being more annoying than KFC's or Quizno's attempts to make me believe that they employ "chefs" too.

I don't know. Maybe it's because she went to the Sofia Vergara School of Elocution.

reboot
May 6, 2011
The Ageless Male commercials drive me insane every time I see them. The song, the overly macho announcer, and the doctor who is championing this product who looks like he should be in a tank top at the Jersey shore doing jagerbombs with The Situation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpNrDKd2vU0

Mister E
Oct 2, 2006

by exmarx
It's Punkin Chunkin time, so that means just one thing: hearing a lady shriek "FIRE IN THE HOLE!!!" every commercial break on the Science Channel! You'd think I'd be numb to it by now, but no, no it still grates on me every single time.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Her song is really bad, but the new O.com girl is adorable. :allears:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Mister E posted:

It's Punkin Chunkin time, so that means just one thing: hearing a lady shriek "FIRE IN THE HOLE!!!" every commercial break on the Science Channel! You'd think I'd be numb to it by now, but no, no it still grates on me every single time.

The Science Channel is about as watchable as the Discovery Channel these days.

Mister E
Oct 2, 2006

by exmarx

raditts posted:

I know. :smith: I just want science on the talking picture box, it didn't seem like a hard request, but programming today has taught me otherwise.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Anastasia Global: A Love Story that's Really Creepy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41wsgsp28A0

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

raditts posted:

An Idiot Abroad trumps anything on the Discovery Channel by a wide margin. :colbert:

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme
The ad for the new sandwich at Burger King makes zero sense. The guy is waving the sandwich around, and the dog is staring at it, but then so is everyone else. The dog gets a pass, but why is everyone else under a spell? I am assuming the the guy is eating his sandwich at a Burger King, just like everyone else there. Did they not go inside and order like he did? Did they not see the ads plastered all over the inside of the store?

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

There is an AARP commercial out now that I can't stand. It starts with a man playing a tuba (seems to be a trend in commercials now), and at some point a doorbell rings.

My dogs hate doorbells, and this commercial comes on constantly. I work from home and leave the tv on in the background, so I have at least 5-6 moments a day where my dogs go insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iamathousandapples
Jul 12, 2012

kittenmittons posted:

An Idiot Abroad trumps anything on the Discovery Channel by a wide margin. :colbert:

Why don't they play it as much any more? That and Mantracker were pretty much the only reasons to watch it