Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I say was because that poo poo is massively out of date. You'd have to be going Jersey Shore or something to be even slightly closer to relevant.

:negative:

I can see them doing this. Oh my god I see it coming together in my mind's eye!

Insanity posted:

In the newest hit reality TV show Azazel's Beach, we join Doug "The Deal" Stolos and his gang of craaaaaaazzzzyyyyyyyy housemates as they spend their summer at Azazel's Beach. See all the excitement, the drama and the romance only on STV (Sinner's Television)*

*This message is sponsored by Virility. Virility: Just loving Drink It You gently caress.

MAKE IT STOP!

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Oct 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
The "official" reason as given by NT long ago, is "Demons", with them attempting to brainwash up with TV or something - I honestly don't know anymore.

I don't even get why the demons supposedly run this city in secret. If they're in control of everyone, why bother keeping it quiet?

The big problem that DmC is gonna face in terms of content is in about 10 years or so - it's going to feel dated as gently caress. All they need now are the members of Not-Anonymous to carry placards saying "Demons are the 1%, We are the 99%!", and bang!

[e]: No problem. Not long to go now, is there, really. Just under three months.
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Oct 15, 2012

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Pesky Splinter posted:

Hey, Notzaar, do you want the character pictures and demo vids, etc for the OP?

Thanks, that stuff will come in handy when it's time to make the DmC dedicated thread. For now I think the OP for the general DMC series thread is good enough.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
60 FPS on the PC? Yeah, definitely something I'll pick up eventually.

Does anyone wonder if NT is deliberately playing up the "edgy anti-authority punk" angle of the game? Bulletstorm came to mind: the ads for that were so dumb that come release day, there was a definite trend of people acknowledging that yeah, the game was full of ridiculously crass and stupid humour, but some of the characters stood out and the dramatic situations and ironies actually worked.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

toasterwarrior posted:

60 FPS on the PC? Yeah, definitely something I'll pick up eventually.

Does anyone wonder if NT is deliberately playing up the "edgy anti-authority punk" angle of the game? Bulletstorm came to mind: the ads for that were so dumb that come release day, there was a definite trend of people acknowledging that yeah, the game was full of ridiculously crass and stupid humour, but some of the characters stood out and the dramatic situations and ironies actually worked.

Based on their other games it it is because it is completely what they believe is interesting. Enslaved was the most unsubtle game I've ever played.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Stuff 'bout Mundus:

quote:

During the New York Comic Con, Capcom revealed the new demon king in DmC Devil May Cry: Mundus.
"Mundas controls the human world through debt and manipulation," explained Ninja Theory's Dominic Matthews. "Anyone or anything that's in a position of power is in control by Mundas. Naturally, as the demon king, Dante, the demon killer, is his public enemy number one."

The new DmC, hoping to appeal to a more western audience, has adopted villains that many of us here in America and the west view as evil. And it has changed quite considably since the past.

"We looked at the concept of evil," Matthews explained as he showed a slide featuring images of the Exorcist, Ronald Mcdonald, Wall Street, and Fox news. "So evil today is very different to what it was when mankind was first conceived. Evil used to be demons with horns and the supernatural, but over time we've been taught through games and movies that good guys can always win in those fights. Evil now has a different face - corporations, financial systems, advertising, the controlling media. This is what we see as evil in today's world."

"How do you fight this type of evil? This is the type of evil we wanted to explore in DmC."

Due of this new direction towards reality, Ninja Theory had to craft a new way for Dante to interact with and fight the demons.

"In the old Devil May Cry games, a lot of the action took place in a city called Limbo [sic] which combined fantasy with many elements in the European gothic genre," Matthews said. "In DmC we wanted to bring the world closer to reality, but we had to ask ourselves 'how could we bring demons into the world in which we live'."
"This is where we came up with the idea of Limbo being a parallel dimension in which the demons control us through subversive manipulation. This is the world that Dante gets into when he has to fight the demons.

In the original DmC games Dante would go into a room, the demon doors would slam shut on him and he'd have to fight the demons in order to progress. This is obviously a key part in DmC, but we wanted to find a rason for this happening. It was never explained why the doors would just shut on Dante and this is where we came up with the idea of Limbo being a living, breathing environment. It's a place that exemplifies evil, a place that wants to stop Dante at any opportunity."
"Dante's like an infection in Limbo and Limbo wants to destroy him as soon as possible," Matthews left off.
Also at Comic Con, Capcom hinted that DLC will likely be created for DmC (not on-disc, they promised), although they remain focused on getting the initial boxed game out first. The fans at the panel seemed pretty keen on a playable Vergil character.

Source: http://www.gamezone.com/products/dmc-devil-may-cry/news/mundus-announced-as-new-demon-king-in-dmc-devil-may-cry

And now some videos where NT attempts to explain why old Dante is no longer cool, and what elements they created the reboot one from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUnoqcU2jgQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQxtmF1j8ig
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQMZim3mEWA

It boils down to East vs West - East is more "visual", but rather old hat.
How they can say that without shame, I don't know, considering that Heavenly Sword (from what little I know) is heavily based on Oriental designs, and that Enslaved is a (very) loose adaption of a pillar of Eastern literature.

Dante's monologue of his history, basically needs to be set Linkin Park and oh gently caress, there is the image of him opening his chest to see his heart. HA HA HA ha haha...ha...ha. gently caress you NT.
If I didn't know any better, or believed that you were capable of being that subtle, I would have said that this is a parody of a Batman Begins-esque reboots.

But they unironically believe this poo poo. Holy loving christ.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 15, 2012

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
"How do you fight this type of evil? This is the type of evil we wanted to explore in DmC."

By... hitting it with a sword, apparently?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bonaventure posted:

You have to admit, I don't think that is actually a method anyone has tried on Fox News and corrupt bankers.

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

quote:

"In the old Devil May Cry games, a lot of the action took place in a city called Limbo [sic] which combined fantasy with many elements in the European gothic genre,"

Funny, because I could have sworn Limbo was YOUR concept for the game. The old game's action took place on an island taken over by demons, an ancient tower, also partially held by demons, that acted as a gateway to the Demonic Realm, and the island-state of Fortuna, not Limbo.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I think the overall level and environmental design is pretty cool in this game, the political and social commentary aside. It reminds me of the hosed up otherworlds that you see at the end of DMC 1 & 3, and something that was sorely lacking in DMC 4 now that I think about it.

Besides the inside of that big rear end statue I guess, but I'm not gonna count that because that's just a lame boss arena.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Dante's backstory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpAjA9V11Fo

:rolleyes:

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

They did it. They actually had him cutting himself in front of a mirror.

gently caress you Ninja Theory. A million times, gently caress you.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
It's kind of weird for him to be talking about what it means to be human, when he's half-demon and half-angel. Why would he even give a poo poo about people?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Dude, humans can be as evil as devils and saintly as angels, it's totally symbolism broooooo

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

The only thing that would make this game sweeter is if they included Linkin Park's entire discography as part of the pre order bonus

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

The Miracle posted:

The only thing that would make this game sweeter is if they included Linkin Park's entire discography as part of the pre order bonus

This would also enable the 'true' soundtrack, upon which every basic enemy hoard fight's theme would be replaced with 'Crawling in My Skin' or whatever the gently caress the song is named.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

The Miracle posted:

You mean it already doesn't? :v:

[e]: Oh yeah, Haha!
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Oct 16, 2012

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Pesky Splinter posted:

How they can say that without shame, I don't know, considering that Heavenly Sword (from what little I know) is heavily based on Oriental designs, and that Enslaved is a (very) loose adaption of a pillar of Eastern literature.

You forgot that their company's name is Ninja Theory, too :v:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

quote:

DmC Devil May Cry is being developed by a team of nearly one hundred staff across Ninja Theory and Capcom, producer, Motohide Eshiro, has shared.

In an internally-conducted interview at Capcom, Eshiro reveals: “There are around 80 people from NT, and about 10 from Capcom U.S.A and Japan.”

“The director from NT is basically responsible for game development, while Capcom’s director [Hideaki] Itsuno oversees the entire process. Both Alex [Jones] from Capcom U.S.A and I act as the producers.”

Eshiro expresses admiration both Ninja Theory’s technology and their development speed, both of which he says have caught his attention.

“They have some incredibly sophisticated stuff, such as modelling and motion capture techniques, which enable NT to create images that rival the quality of those you see in CG films,” he says. “One other thing is their development speed. NT is incredibly fast.”

Eshiro also gives examples of the kind of input Capcom have been giving Ninja Theory on the game.

“There are not that many games made in the United States and Europe built around the concept of fighting a boss character, and because of this game developers in these countries have a hard time creating a computer-controlled boss opponent,” Eshiro suggests.

“That’s why we provided NT with the know-how we have at Capcom to help infuse DmC with the DNA of the Devil May Cry series. We gave them theoretical explanations about creating exhilarating action sequences and how to incorporate game elements into the boss battles, such as forcing players to focus on running during boss attacks or providing ways to expose the weak points of bosses and give the players an opportunity to attack.”

When asked if Eshiro is worried about sharing Capcom’s know-how with other companies, he replies that it works both ways. While Capcom need to share their knowledge in order to make collaborations with western studios work, their teams, too, learn about technologies and systems used by their partners.

Source: http://www.siliconera.com/2012/10/16/dmc-devil-may-cry-development-team-has-over-90-members/

[e]: And in other news, Play Arts have released Dante and Vergil as figures:

Which is nice if you're into that sort of thing. They retail for $70...each.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Oct 16, 2012

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I'm usually pretty good about not throwing money away on stupid poo poo but god drat if that Dante and Nevan figurine wouldn't be a perfect addition to the home recording studio decor

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Character designs for a PS2 game do not look good in obsessive detail. They should have taken some creative license and tuned down the cartoonish flair.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Pesky Splinter posted:

Stuff 'bout Mundus:

Source: http://www.gamezone.com/products/dmc-devil-may-cry/news/mundus-announced-as-new-demon-king-in-dmc-devil-may-cry

And now some videos where NT attempts to explain why old Dante is no longer cool, and what elements they created the reboot one from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUnoqcU2jgQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQxtmF1j8ig
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQMZim3mEWA

Dante's monologue of his history, basically needs to be set Linkin Park and oh gently caress, there is the image of him opening his chest to see his heart. HA HA HA ha haha...ha...ha. gently caress you NT.
If I didn't know any better, or believed that you were capable of being that subtle, I would have said that this is a parody of a Batman Begins-esque reboots.

But they unironically believe this poo poo. Holy loving christ.

Im too chicken to watch what they have to say about old Dante.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Uncle Wemus posted:

Im too chicken to watch what they have to say about old Dante.

Basically, that he looks too eastern and anime. And while that was cool then, it's not now. And then they talk about visual differences between East and West, crudely photoshop him into stills of western films as if trying to prove a point, and then attempt to define "cool" for the people of today, citing various musics and fashions as the inspiration for the look of the New Dante.

And then they show that embarrassing video of Dante narrating his backstory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpAjA9V11Fo

To sum it up:

*Him outside an orphanage.

*Him with some swinging demon's head

*Him with a load of naked ladies (because, you know HE HAS SEX OMG AND SEE BEWBS AND BUTTS)

*Him fighting some riot police

*And, best of fuckin' all...him in front of a mirror with a whole in his chest, showing his heart, all the while why he narrates about how bad his childhood was, and how he's had to grow up to be what he is.

This is DmC: Devil may Cry in a nutshell.

It is so Linkin Park, that you'd think they were joking. But they mean this, 100% sincerely. The art is nice though, but only in terms of technical proficiency.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Oct 17, 2012

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Bonaventure posted:

Dante, you won't be able to win this war conventionally!

*stabs a billion dudes*

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY
Why is the m in DmC lowercase anyway? It's always really bugged me. Are we supposed to say "may" all quiet or something?

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

It's gonna be hard resisting the urge to snag that Vergil figure, because drat, it seems they've even added the detailing into Force Edge to have it better resemble the bit of inlay you can see upon it though Sparda in DMC4.

If they only released a 'Corrupt' variant, it'd be worth the money for sure.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Mr. Fun posted:

Why is the m in DmC lowercase anyway? It's always really bugged me. Are we supposed to say "may" all quiet or something?

DEVIL may CRY.

Speaking of the title, has anyone noticed that the new title is just "Devil may Cry: Devil may Cry"? S'kinda strange.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
For those of you that can tolerate him, Angry Joe has an interview with Capcom about their upcoming games.

I honestly can't stomach the guy, so can't offer any comment on the video.

And here's the usual doublethink on Dante's backstory, from various people:

"Very well put, but as you mentioned ripping open your chest is over the top and excessive which is exactly why I think they did it. They want Dante to retain a trait of over the topness, and ripping open your chest to see your heart is pretty over the top. Plus it's original, I can't say I've seen in a video game where the character rips open his chest just to see his human heart. But that's just my take on it, I find the action to be original, very emotional, and pretty badass."

"I still dont think its emo though, if he did it a lot than it would be emo but if he only did it once out of curiosity than its understandable."

"I wouldn't consider it "emo" because Dante is not cutting open his chest for attention like that of an "emo" person. He is cutting himself open to see if he's human or not, or at least that's what I get from the context of the picture."

Oh, to be 12 again.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Dante's voice clips for Playstation battle royal thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq1z7Na7ccE

Falls a bit flat in places, but okay. No FUUUCCCKK YOUs at least.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Pesky Splinter posted:

Don'te is a really dumb nickname.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Well that's Youtube comments for ya.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Pesky Splinter posted:

For those of you that can tolerate him, Angry Joe has an interview with Capcom about their upcoming games.

I honestly can't stomach the guy, so can't offer any comment on the video.

And here's the usual doublethink on Dante's backstory, from various people:

"Very well put, but as you mentioned ripping open your chest is over the top and excessive which is exactly why I think they did it. They want Dante to retain a trait of over the topness, and ripping open your chest to see your heart is pretty over the top. Plus it's original, I can't say I've seen in a video game where the character rips open his chest just to see his human heart. But that's just my take on it, I find the action to be original, very emotional, and pretty badass."

"I still dont think its emo though, if he did it a lot than it would be emo but if he only did it once out of curiosity than its understandable."

"I wouldn't consider it "emo" because Dante is not cutting open his chest for attention like that of an "emo" person. He is cutting himself open to see if he's human or not, or at least that's what I get from the context of the picture."

Oh, to be 12 again.

Old Dante: Used a weapon that shoots exploding roses to carve a heart out of a monolith while spouting sexual double entendres to salsa music culminating with the heart breaking in half while he poses with a rose in his mouth

New Dante: Rips open his chest to see his heart in a dank apartment bathroom during emo rock.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

I miss the Old Dante who wouldn't shut the gently caress up about The Party.

"Hey, heart! Where are you? You're gonna miss the partyyyy!"

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

He sounds like the scout from TF2 with a too deep voice.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
The "Revenant" Shotgun profile:

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Pesky Splinter posted:

No more "GET BACK" game ruined. :v:

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?

Pesky Splinter posted:

Noticed a lot of lines from the rest of the series in there. Which is.... a little strange, honestly.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Uncle Wemus posted:

Old Dante: Used a weapon that shoots exploding roses to carve a heart out of a monolith while spouting sexual double entendres to salsa music culminating with the heart breaking in half while he poses with a rose in his mouth

New Dante: Rips open his chest to see his heart in a dank apartment bathroom during emo rock.

I think that was flamenco, not salsa, but anyways from that to linkin park? Goddamnit Ninja Theory.

DMC should be this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pWvKx1x1pk

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

BlackFrost posted:

Noticed a lot of lines from the rest of the series in there. Which is.... a little strange, honestly.

At times he does sound like someone trying to say the stuff in the way that Reuben Langdon would say it. It's offputting slightly.

No PARTEH'S GETTIN' CRAHZAY though. :(

No you see, where this fails is, that Dante isn't being given implied blowjobs by naked ladies. Without naked ladies and blowjobs it no longer cool :downs:

Also Dante's having too much fun there. He should be scowling, like all the cool kids do. :mad:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Oct 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
I'm just really disappointed that they're going with New Dante instead of Old Dante in Super PlayStation Smash Stars Brawl. I don't even really mind the new DmC game all that much, it's just the fact that Old Dante would have a lot more room for the developers to have fun. He has a rather large arsenal, and those lines imply that Old Dante was probably who they wanted to use.

Like, if I had never played Devil May Cry, and you told me you were making a goofy fighting game featuring all of PlayStation's all-stars, and you held up a picture and description of both Old and New Dante, I'd pick Old Dante to be in the game without even thinking.

• Locked thread