Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.
Does the unlimited ammo toggle actually work? I've honestly never seen it work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Bovineicide posted:

Does the unlimited ammo toggle actually work? I've honestly never seen it work.

I think you have to buy it with several thousand skill points for each gun you'd like to use it with for it to actually work.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I think you have to buy it with several thousand skill points for each gun you'd like to use it with for it to actually work.
The tradition of the game not explaining things continues! :pseudo:
On that note, does the QTE option next to Ammo option require you to get breakfree, then turn on that option or something?

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
You have to beat all four campaigns to unlock the unlimited ammo options for each weapon set (pistols, shotguns, etc). They cost about 80k on average and have to be equipped. The toggle is just whether or not to allow people to use it in your online game.

The good thing is once you beat the game whenever you start a chapter/new runthrough you have every single weapon you picked up in the course of the first play.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

Hell Diver posted:

The good thing is once you beat the game whenever you start a chapter/new runthrough you have every single weapon you picked up in the course of the first play.

Is this true for all difficulties? I've started playing through as the alternate characters and have had to unlock the weapons again. If you bump up the difficulty does it make you start over?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Tremors posted:

Is this true for all difficulties? I've started playing through as the alternate characters and have had to unlock the weapons again. If you bump up the difficulty does it make you start over?
I also tried this, though on same normal difficulty as before. After beating Leon's campaign, I figured I'd see how Helena would manage in the Chapter 2 Cemetery fight... Oh... She has like, 15 handgun bullets and 3 shotgun shells... And nothing else. gently caress.

So I guess you can only carry over what you have found on a particular character, and the only thing they share is skills.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Section Z posted:

The tradition of the game not explaining things continues! :pseudo:
On that note, does the QTE option next to Ammo option require you to get breakfree, then turn on that option or something?

It was the same system from RE5 and really should be kind of obvious you don't get infinite ammo when you first start the game fresh though. So you can't really fault it for that.

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

I got RE6 despite the reviews, and it's a loving blast. The co-op, over the top action/melee, hilarious plot, Simmons boss fights for literally half of Leon's campaign, bad one liners... It's not perfect (lovely cover mechanics :argh:), but it's more enjoyable than Borderlands 2. Once we got the grenade launcher in Chris' campaign my friend and I were just blasting away everything we couldn't melee. It's so great.

The game was actually kind of scary once too, in that carrier with the unkillable zombie body part things.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Blazing Ownager posted:

I'm not sure HOW the gently caress that interface was supposed to work, but what I found worked very well:

Hold the left trigger
Double tap the right trigger, holding it the second time
Mirror the above repeatedly

Merely holding one trigger than squeezing the other and release did not seem to work for me. Only when I got the "double tap" thing down did that lovely interface actually work.

Oh I figured out how to climb the thing, no problems there. I meant more that when you get to the final top as Helena, you're treated to watching Leon climb without being able to shoot to help, or move, or anything. My friend had difficulty and basically I was watching him for about five minutes.

CousinKevin
Oct 16, 2012

Ever since they worked on that project together, her life turned around and became more exciting.

Stele007 posted:

The game was actually kind of scary once too, in that carrier with the unkillable zombie body part things.

You talking about Chris' campaign right, having to get the three keys? I still thought it was weird that the scariest/most tension filled part of the game was in Chris' campaign, where moments before my friend and I were rolling around/crab walking on the floor, kicking zombies in the face.

RE6 is one of the wackiest co op experiences I've had, absolutely love it

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.

Len posted:

It was the same system from RE5 and really should be kind of obvious you don't get infinite ammo when you first start the game fresh though. So you can't really fault it for that.

ahahahahhahaha WHAT? I can't fault it for that? I can't fault it for something completely unclear to me as a new player?

How would I know what it meant without any context?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Rocco posted:

ahahahahhahaha WHAT? I can't fault it for that? I can't fault it for something completely unclear to me as a new player?

Fair enough. All it says is "Enable" or "Disable" infinite ammo. But it should fall into common sense territory that a game involving heavy gun use doesn't give infinite ammo when you first start. I'm in no way trying to say the game doesn't withhold information but in this case it should be kind of obvious.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Alacron posted:

What completely baffled me about Chris's driving section was the part where Piers and Chris switch places.

"Piers, switch places with me!"

:psyduck: What? Why!? Aren't you in the middle of a loving carchase!?

That said, none of the vehicle sections were very good. Jake's snowmobile and motorcycle sections, Chris's car chase, and Ada's helicopter sections were boring slogs at best and controller snapping frustration at worst.

I have a theory that the reason Leon crashes every means of transportation he touches is because he smells there's a vehicle section coming on.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Rocco posted:

Doesn't the option say allow / disallow? Maybe it's because I play fighting games where certain people can be disallowed in MP chat rooms, but it seemed sort of obvious it referred to allowing you/your partner to use infinite ammo perks somehow. It doesn't seem THAT unbelievable for you to laugh at him, what else would it mean? Obviously they aren't going to just have a 'god mode y/n' toggle fresh out of the box. Your context is the other options defining the rules of the play session like allowing voice or allowing network play, IDK but it isn't that much of a stretch to say you can't fault it for not enabling the cheat from the start.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.

Len posted:

Fair enough. All it says is "Enable" or "Disable" infinite ammo. But it should fall into common sense territory that a game involving heavy gun use doesn't give infinite ammo when you first start. I'm in no way trying to say the game doesn't withhold information but in this case it should be kind of obvious.

Not trying to insult you, but it was in no way remotely obvious to me or anybody I know who is playing it. I have had someone ask me why infinite ammo doesn't work just about every day since it came out. There's no "common sense" element here at all.

Electromax posted:

Your context is the other options defining the rules of the play session like allowing voice or allowing network play, IDK but it isn't that much of a stretch to say you can't fault it for not enabling the cheat from the start.

Well, as someone who doesn't play shooters every day or anything, it made no sense at all, and I don't think I should need lots of -other- game experience to understand a game's menu, you know?

Rocco fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Oct 16, 2012

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I'm not sure why they hid the infinite ammo "skills" in the shop in the first place. That at least would've hinted at it.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Until I read about it here I thought the infinite ammo option was something that disabled trophies and was made for casual play, while the infinite ammo skills you got for beating the game were similar to 5 where they didn't disable anything.

Rollie the Guar
Sep 12, 2011

You can't change nature, Jack.

Twelve Batmans posted:

There's no reason not to use the shortcut for your herbs. It automatically creates the most efficient tablet number for what you have in your inventory (R + G above G + G + G above G + G above G) and you can do it while moving. Yeah hitting your menu button and doing 5 quick button presses doesn't take that long either, but you're still slightly more vulnerable to attack if you can't move at all. I also prefer to use killing animations to rotate the camera around me and make sure I'm not getting surrounded, or for switching to a more efficient weapon for the next kill. Every character has a way to attack behind themselves as well. Rotating the camera to face your character then hitting up on the left stick + melee will result in a special animation. For some characters it's a particularly powerful kick that can crack skulls.

Sorry, but you're completely wrong about this. During throws, counters and coups de grace you're completely invincible, so you're not vulnerable. You also have no control of the camera during these moves, so you can't look behind you. There's literally nothing else you can do during these animations besides mess with your inventory, so there's no reason not to combine your herbs here and save a few precious seconds. It's the exact same principle as menu reloads in RE5. The back facing melee attack also isn't terribly strong, but it does set up for a coup de grace, which makes it invaluable against firemen who have too much health to be worth countering.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Finished Chris' campaign. Goddamn was Chapter 4 scary.
Also, I don't know what the gently caress, but pressing both R1 and X during the car chase gave me more speed, while pressing X only when the boost became usable meant I'd end up losing by 400mts.

Now, Jake's campaign! Gotta get all the Merc characters. :science:

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
Gamefly has ORC for $13 used. Is that a good deal for what it is, or would it be better to wait for the Steam holiday sale and take my chances?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Tremors posted:

Gamefly has ORC for $13 used. Is that a good deal for what it is, or would it be better to wait for the Steam holiday sale and take my chances?

In my honest opinion, that would be a good deal as long as you got pals to play along with you. If you don't, then you should wait for the Steam sale.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

The driving section was fine when you're on the freeway. It's boring as hell, yeah. But at least it's not as bad as it is when you get to the parking garage. Once you're inside the garage, it's dark as hell in there and you can't see where you're going so you just drive into areas of blackness and hope for the best. Sometimes you'll hit a wall and other times you'll get where you're supposed to be going :ughh:

That was one of the worst-designed sections of any video game in recent memory.

RE6 is completely, completely wrong about what brightness your TV should be set at. I literally couldn't get it dark enough to make the 6 disappear, and the game was nearly unplayable.

I did not like Leon chapter 2 and 3 very much - zombies are pretty repetitive, and they kept splitting us up in ways where one player had nothing to do while split up. Chapter 4 was absolutely excellent, though.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Anyone on here fancy playing some ORC on xbox, anytime soon? I still get cravings to play it, but nobody I usually play with has it anymore and it's not so fun on your own.

VVV You must not have played many bad games. RE: ORC is vastly superior to RE6 imo.

Fraction fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Oct 16, 2012

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

Rocco posted:

Well, as someone who doesn't play shooters every day or anything, it made no sense at all, and I don't think I should need lots of -other- game experience to understand a game's menu, you know?

You're in the Resident Evil thread, people are going to disagree with your opinion no matter what unless it's unconditional praise for the games. A guy just asked if he should get ORC, one of the worst games I've ever played, and got a yes in return. That's why asking to get a game from a thread for that specific game is a bad idea as well.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

Azran posted:

Finished Chris' campaign. Goddamn was Chapter 4 scary.
Also, I don't know what the gently caress, but pressing both R1 and X during the car chase gave me more speed, while pressing X only when the boost became usable meant I'd end up losing by 400mts.

Now, Jake's campaign! Gotta get all the Merc characters. :science:

R1 is accelerate. If you put a boost on but aren't accelerating you won't get any speed.

edit - do people not always just hold down the "Go faster" button while holding forward on the analog stick and mashing any "boost" button they might have in racing sections of games like this? That's always how to win!

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.

Ryaomon posted:

You're in the Resident Evil thread, people are going to disagree with your opinion no matter what unless it's unconditional praise for the games. A guy just asked if he should get ORC, one of the worst games I've ever played, and got a yes in return. That's why asking to get a game from a thread for that specific game is a bad idea as well.

Somewhere, there's a goon chomping at the bit for the chance to defend even loving Dead Aim in this thread. People love the Crash Bandicoot sections and the boss fights in 6, so nothing surprises me anymore.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Ryaomon posted:

It's almost like games aren't objectively good or bad.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Even the worst games have redeeming features. I didn't particularly enjoy ORC, but pals make any game better. He asked whether he should purchase it now or later, not if he should buy it at all. :v:

Thievery posted:

R1 is accelerate. If you put a boost on but aren't accelerating you won't get any speed.

edit - do people not always just hold down the "Go faster" button while holding forward on the analog stick and mashing any "boost" button they might have in racing sections of games like this? That's always how to win!

I think I didn't express myself properly then. :v: I was playing that section as if it were a racing game, but I tapped X whenever the boost bar became blue. I didn't held it down. It took me fifteen tries with the above method. I did it on my first try when I held X down.

:psyduck:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Bovineicide posted:

Somewhere, there's a goon chomping at the bit for the chance to defend even loving Dead Aim in this thread. People love the Crash Bandicoot sections and the boss fights in 6, so nothing surprises me anymore.

Hey now...I got to fight a trex that redeems every boss fight in the game.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Bovineicide posted:

Somewhere, there's a goon chomping at the bit for the chance to defend even loving Dead Aim in this thread.

You called? Because Dead Aim's gameplay is great. The story, not so much, but the gameplay is fantastic.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

GUI posted:

Until I read about it here I thought the infinite ammo option was something that disabled trophies and was made for casual play, while the infinite ammo skills you got for beating the game were similar to 5 where they didn't disable anything.
Same here, in that regard.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I don't understand how you can play through Chris's chapter 3 and think this is a bad game. That was the most fun I've ever had with driving in video games. I was in tears with laughter by the end.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jesus Christ, this "escape the B.O.W." sequence in Chris' 5th chapter is loving infuriating. You have to jump to the next platform right when it tells you to or else your platform gets knocked off by the giant monster. I've had to restart like 8 times now :doh:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

RBA Starblade posted:

I don't understand how you can play through Chris's chapter 3 and think this is a bad game. That was the most fun I've ever had with driving in video games. I was in tears with laughter by the end.

"I'm the best driver the BSAA's got!"

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Waaaaaaait a minute, what the gently caress :stare:

Why did I just inject myself with the virus to battle the B.O.W.? Hahahah

SolidRed
Jan 23, 2008
and if you didn't know.... NOW YOU KNOW - Christian Cage

Jesus Christ, this "escape the B.O.W." sequence in Chris' 5th chapter is loving infuriating. You have to jump to the next platform right when it tells you to or else your platform gets knocked off by the giant monster. I've had to restart like 8 times now :doh:

Make sure you slide instead of crawl under those sections when prompted to save time.

Yeah that section blows.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

Waaaaaaait a minute, what the gently caress :stare:

Why did I just inject myself with the virus to battle the B.O.W.? Hahahah

Because it just ripped off your arm and it was either that or bleed to death and let it get free. Pretty self explanatory.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Beat Chris' campaign. I feel like that final part of Chapter 5 was a taste of what Metal Gear Rising is gonna be like :v:

I don't want to play Jake's now, do I? I enjoyed Chris' about 100% more than Leon's. Will playing Jake's just drag that down?

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Jake and Sherry have the best dynamic in the game and they own.

Their campaign does have the most uh... new gameplay mechanics? I guess? Capcom kinda threw a little bit of everything into it.

I think it was great though. Play as Jake and melee everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is the RE1 that comes in the CE of RE6 the Gamecube version or the PS1 version? That gamecube remake was loving great.