Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
My father has a Mac Pro 2006 with a badly damaged lower "handle" bit. Since it's very unstable, I was thinking of flipping it upside down and letting it run like that.

Is there any reason not to do this, assuming he won't use the DVD drive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

wdarkk posted:

My father has a Mac Pro 2006 with a badly damaged lower "handle" bit. Since it's very unstable, I was thinking of flipping it upside down and letting it run like that.

Is there any reason not to do this, assuming he won't use the DVD drive?
No.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Rumors about the 13 rMBP are really coming now, but it sounds like there won't be a discrete GPU option because of heat concerns. I was super excited as rumors point to same ports as the 15: 2 TB 1 HDMI, but without discrete GPU I don't know if it would actually run smoothly enough off of the HD4000 to consider it.

E: What I want is a portable that can do 2x 2560x1440 and maybe an additional 1080p. Hoping I won't have to wait until second gen retinas but I'm getting discouraged.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Another rumor is that there's a redesigned 21" iMac coming with the 13"rMBP and iPad mini.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

empty baggie posted:

Another rumor is that there's a redesigned 21" iMac coming with the 13"rMBP and iPad mini.

We have two developers on old-poo poo iMacs who are due for a new machine at the end of the year. If they get Retina iMacs.... :argh:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Is there a poll where people reported what 'resolution' they were using their MBPr at?

'1440x900', '1680x1050', '1920x1080', etc?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Mac Mini refresh or we riot.

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

Scaled resolutions were buggy as hell in 10.7 so I just stuck to 1440x900 but now that I've upgraded to ML it's all about the 1920x1080 goodness for me.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

MrBigglesworth posted:

So the next thing I need to think of.

The rMPB will be a desktop replacement for me. I want to keep my current Win7 computer which is a first gen Core2Duo with a bunch of hard drives in it for a media/network server. What do you guys recommend? Should I convert it using Windows Home Server for my wifes old laptop and my Win7 install Ill put on the Mac, or just pretty much leave it as is and setup sharing of folders to access stuff?

You might have an issue that that the Win7 won't activate on your new bootcamp install. So you constantly get that Activate now message even though it's a legal copy. I guess they expect that you will only ever install Win 7 in one place and won't move it.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Bob Morales posted:

Is there a poll where people reported what 'resolution' they were using their MBPr at?

'1440x900', '1680x1050', '1920x1080', etc?
I keep it at 1920x1200 or higher when working, but leave it at 1440x900 for sexy text if I'm just reading.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

BGrifter posted:

Mac Mini refresh or we riot.

Rumors are starting to trickle about a mac mini refresh next week as well. All signs are pointing to it happening

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

If you listen to all these drat rumors it sounds like Apple will refresh everything and come out with a retina mini fridge.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Syano posted:

Rumors are starting to trickle about a mac mini refresh next week as well. All signs are pointing to it happening

Yep:
http://9to5mac.com/2012/10/15/apple-also-planning-new-mac-minis-for-launch-alongside-smaller-ipad/

This could be a pretty interesting event. Are we expecting invites tomorrow if the event is next Tuesday?

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

terriyaki posted:

If you listen to all these drat rumors it sounds like Apple will refresh everything and come out with a retina mini fridge.

Not at all. Its entirely reasonable to expect especially a imac and mini refresh since its been so long

EDIT: And its not like its going to be anything insane like a retina mini fridge. It will be be chipset refreshes, new ports, etc. Good chance they wont even talk about it during the event and the new models will just show up when the store comes back up

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

Stick100 posted:

You might have an issue that that the Win7 won't activate on your new bootcamp install. So you constantly get that Activate now message even though it's a legal copy. I guess they expect that you will only ever install Win 7 in one place and won't move it.

No, I'd buy a new license for the machine, as Id have my existing box just moved to a different part of the office for serving up video.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

We have two developers on old-poo poo iMacs who are due for a new machine at the end of the year. If they get Retina iMacs.... :argh:

The only thing I heard was that it was a "teardrop" shape. No mention of retina, but personally I would doubt it.

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

Syano posted:

Not at all. Its entirely reasonable to expect especially a imac and mini refresh since its been so long

EDIT: And its not like its going to be anything insane like a retina mini fridge. It will be be chipset refreshes, new ports, etc. Good chance they wont even talk about it during the event and the new models will just show up when the store comes back up

Oh don't get me wrong, I'd be pumped to see the iMacs and minis refreshed, especially the minis. It just seems like there are always so many rumors flying around. It's hard to not be skeptic. I still remember waiting for the mini to be refreshed in 2008, keeping up with all of the rumors and what not and it never happened. Guess I'm still jaded from that, hah.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

MrBigglesworth posted:

No, I'd buy a new license for the machine, as Id have my existing box just moved to a different part of the office for serving up video.

I did some research after complaining and found out that actually all you have to do is call MS and they will let you activate you just can't have two activated at the same time. My old machine melted itself so I might be able to recover my Win 7.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Syano posted:

EDIT: And its not like its going to be anything insane like a retina mini fridge.

I have a normal-size Kenmore fridge at home, and that thing has ultra-high-res 3D with touch interaction, temperature simulation, and smellovision (sometimes that's more bad than good). It's so realistic it's nearly unreal. If Apple can pack that same technology into a "mini" size that would use less energy, be more "retina," and could be installed in my dorm room that would be loving sweet! If they could do food installs online over the iTunes store that would totally be the killer app too (maybe that's why we're getting a new iTunes in a couple weeks?!! :neckbeard: ).

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

terriyaki posted:

I'm actually in the market for a mini fridge right now too. :3:

Even a minor update to the Mac Mini is more than enough to make me happy. I just want to get rid of the gargantuan 15.6" laptop I have plugged into my desktop monitor.

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?
We should try to get the mini-fridge rumour on to gizmodo, engadget, etc..

MOAR
Mar 6, 2012

Death! Put your jacket on or you'll get frostbite!
More rumors http://www.macworld.co.uk/mac/news/?newsid=3405276&pagtype=allchandate

Please USB 3 please...

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
The next update will have USB 3, don't worry about that at all. They would have to explicitly disable the built in ones because it's built into the chipset that supports sandy/ivy bridge.

e: I guess I'm a moron, it's not built into Sandy, but nearly all boards do have support either natively/added into it. Either way though, Ivy Bridge will have USB 3.

Shmoogy fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Oct 16, 2012

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Shmoogy posted:

The next update will have USB 3, don't worry about that at all. They would have to explicitly disable the built in ones because it's built into the chipset that supports sandy/ivy bridge.
Ivy Bridge comes with native USB 3.0 support. Sandy Bridge does not.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Semantics, but it's the chipset that has the USB support, not CPU. As mentioned ages ago, you can use both Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge with both chipsets (6 and 7-series). The 7-series adds USB 3.0 and it's a non-sensical scenario to watch Apple pair IVB with a 6-series SKU.

e: redacted some poo poo

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Rumor is iMacs for sale day after the event. Probably other things too.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Shmoogy posted:

Rumor is iMacs for sale day after the event. Probably other things too.

gently caress. You mean my new iphone is already obsolete? :haw:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I really dislike the rumors about the iMac being even thinner and the display being glued together. Why do they have to make replacing the hard drive so drat hard or impossible? Nobody is clamoring for a smaller iMac, they are already as thin as many monitors. Just make them easier to service.

The G5 iMacs were awesome. The entire back panel could be taken off easily and nearly everything was accessible.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 16, 2012

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Is there any merit in holding off a little when Apple releases a new hardware design (say they do a slim iMac)? I update my machine very infrequently and if there are often 'first batch' issues or maybe standard little refreshes after 6 months to iron out any kinks, that might be nice to know.

I know that they're not exactly gonna put out duds but I heard a recent bunch of Macbooks had overheating issues and I just wanna be as sensible as possible with what'll be a fairly significant purchase.

EDIT: I'm guessing a thinner iMac will be partly a result of removing the DVD drive? I'm ok with that and even with the screen being glued (I've gone 4 years with my current model without feeling the need to open it up). If Apple removes the little RAM slot though, that would be super annoying.

Tenterhooks fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Oct 16, 2012

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If it's a new slimmer form factor I'd wait out the first generation. If it's just a spec bump to Ivy Bridge there's no reason to wait.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
For what it's worth you're always going to hear people who have problems with new releases from Apple. Some are completely reasonable but most are pretty baseless and garbage complaints.

If it's a completely new redesign, and you can wait, it's usually better to avoid problematic issues in the first generation-- but iMacs are basically macbooks with a 21/27 inch IPS attached to them, so I'm not certain what problems might happen (Probably only heat issues).

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
I really hope that a Mac Mini refresh keeps the dedicated graphics on the higher-end model.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Cool, thanks for the info. I really want a new machine but can probably wait. '1st generation' generally means like 6 months, huh? That sounds like a long time.

Probably shouldn't be getting so hung up on this as-yet imaginary machine anyway.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
You can just wait for like two weeks after it's released and browse the cesspool that is called a forum of macrumors. You'll generally be able to tell which problems are real and which are people bitching over nothing-- you also get something like 30 days to return it with no restocking fee.

Odds are that you'll see gizmodo pick up any forum complaint and try to bash the new release as much as possible-- and other sites follow along because it gets them clicks/ad revenue.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

I really dislike the rumors about the iMac being even thinner and the display being glued together. Why do they have to make replacing the hard drive so drat hard or impossible? Nobody is clamoring for a smaller iMac, they are already as thin as many monitors. Just make them easier to service.
It's probably gonna be a 2.5" hard drive too.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It's probably gonna be a 2.5" hard drive too.

They wouldn't have any justification for going to the new, proprietary SSD other than 'gently caress users who upgrade themselves', right?

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Bob Morales posted:

They wouldn't have any justification for going to the new, proprietary SSD other than 'gently caress users who upgrade themselves', right?

Economies of scale?

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
Looks like I need to return my Mac Mini that I bought 3 weeks ago to Best Buy and wait for the new Mac Minis to come out at the end of this month.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Oxford Comma posted:

Looks like I need to return my Mac Mini that I bought 3 weeks ago to Best Buy and wait for the new Mac Minis to come out at the end of this month.

If you can wait to return it until the event, you might save yourself some hassle. The rumor mills have been pretty dead on recently, but there is still no guarantee that there will be a new ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

If there's no new iMac, Apple has actually truly abandoned desktops. It's been FOREVER.

I've been looking to upgrade my '08 C2D iMac, but the current iMacs are year and a half old hardware. Longest period ever between HW refreshes. I actually just really want a guts-updated version of the current model. No "retina" (isn't the iMac already at that resolution?), no "even slimmer" design, no soldered-in RAM, no teardrop shape...if there's some goony new thing, I'll just grab one of the current refurbs when they get even cheaper. Anything's an upgrade from my 4-year-old C2D!