Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miscreant Fromage
May 2, 2003

Security clearance is done, but still waiting on medical. They want even more records, going back 7 years on my bloodwork and treatment for the severe anemia. Ugh. Keep in mind I've moved like every 2 years so that's a lot of medical record requests to get out and get back. I'm working with them and have told them that it will certainly take longer than the 2 week deadline that they gave me. Sooooo still waiting waiting waiting. And still haven't heard the PNQ results for the IRO position, should be any day now. Also I had a good interview for a regular federal position very close to home (I could walk to work in good weather) and they are checking my references now so maybe that will pan out. The people I work with at my current job are awesome but the actual job...meh not so much. It's really fleshing out my resume though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Looks like a LES member of the Sanaa RSO shop was assassinated.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/10/11/us-yemen-assassination-idUSBRE89A0F820121011

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

pamchenko posted:

Phenomenal. And a perfect description.

And that is now Zoots' auto-message on office communicator.

Meanwhile, it's 2025 on a virtual Friday night, and I'm sitting around waiting for my boss to clear on a cable. I'd bitch, except A) my villa is a 25-second walk from my desk and B) what the gently caress else is there to do in Tripoli?

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Tyro posted:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/10/11/us-yemen-assassination-idUSBRE89A0F820121011

Yeah, that's hit pretty close to home to everyone here. Twenty years in... that means he could have immigrated with his family to the US at any time he wanted, but he chose to stick around. How horrible.

pamchenko
Apr 16, 2011

the_chavi posted:

And that is now Zoots' auto-message on office communicator.

Meanwhile, it's 2025 on a virtual Friday night, and I'm sitting around waiting for my boss to clear on a cable. I'd bitch, except A) my villa is a 25-second walk from my desk and B) what the gently caress else is there to do in Tripoli?

Last night I was dumb enough to (A) still be on my work email at 2300 on "Friday" and then (B) to answer an email from our front office that came in at 2305. Ugh, note to self, just sign out of your work email, there was no reason for that.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
It will never get old seeing official documents using the phrase "Pussy Riot." Bonus points if they get creative with the sentence.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
Question for you FSOs who have worked in consular. I'm an immigration attorney, and most of my work (heavy E-2 practice) is via consular process. How much time does an officer typically spend adjudicating one of these packets? I've had much better luck with State adjudications than changes of status to E-2 via USCIS. The California Service Center in particular has been awful with RFEs this year. Do you guys ever make RFEs, or do you flat-out deny packets that are lacking tabs or data?

More generally, how often do you get applications from represented parties that are complete garbage?

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Confirming that playing the new X-Com on Classic difficulty, with your troops named after co-workers is utterly hilarious.

Seriously, not even sending them on suicide missions, all my dudes named after my FSNs have bit it early on. The Ambo, on the other hand, is an unstoppable juggernaut in ridiculous armor wielding a fuckoff huge laser minigun, slaying bodies and giving no fucks whatsoever, while my deputy chief casually pops the heads of anything that is left. :xcom:

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

Diplomaticus posted:

my FSNs have bit it early on. The Ambo, on the other hand, is an unstoppable juggernaut in ridiculous armor wielding a fuckoff huge laser minigun, slaying bodies and giving no fucks whatsoever, while my deputy chief casually pops the heads of anything that is left. :xcom:

ForeignService.txt

Zoots
Apr 19, 2007

No passport for you.
Bids submitted. Commence :supaburn:. Hoping I did the whole lobbying thing correctly.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Zoots posted:

Bids submitted. Commence :supaburn:. Hoping I did the whole lobbying thing correctly.

If you are still unsure what job you're going to get, then there is still room for improvement.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Business of Ferrets posted:

If you are still unsure what job you're going to get, then there is still room for improvement.

It takes at least one time of me completely loving something up to understand how to do it properly. EERs work that way, which is why I got to go to the extra-special third round of tenure review. (And promptly got promoted 28 days after I was tenured.) Same for bidding - my first time I had no idea what was going on; second time around I have a pretty good idea of who will or won't make me a job offer.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin

Diplomaticus posted:

Confirming that playing the new X-Com on Classic difficulty, with your troops named after co-workers is utterly hilarious.

Seriously, not even sending them on suicide missions, all my dudes named after my FSNs have bit it early on. The Ambo, on the other hand, is an unstoppable juggernaut in ridiculous armor wielding a fuckoff huge laser minigun, slaying bodies and giving no fucks whatsoever, while my deputy chief casually pops the heads of anything that is left. :xcom:

I right there with yea, buddy. Let me know if you ever need a reference for your transition to DS.

Zoots
Apr 19, 2007

No passport for you.

Business of Ferrets posted:

Guess I answered my own question.

Crap.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Zoots posted:

Guess I answered my own question.

Crap.

I knew what job I *should* be getting two months ago.

All the cool kids already have the good jobs lined up in April/May. You're way behind the curve if you're still looking at jobs when bidding opens.

Zoots
Apr 19, 2007

No passport for you.

TCD posted:

All the cool kids already have the good jobs lined up in April/May. You're way behind the curve if you're still looking at jobs when bidding opens.

If it is a question of 'should' -- then I should be landing alright. But it is the very notion of 'should' that causes me discomfort. I thankfully had some good folks going to bat for me.

I was more expressing my frustration at the mercurial process of bidding. Were I just starting bidding in the last couple of weeks I think I'd be really up a creek.

Then again, other diplomatic corps have vastly more head-scratching processes. A friend over at another Euro embassy said they just send off a list and hope HR gives them something good.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Zoots posted:

If it is a question of 'should' -- then I should be landing alright. But it is the very notion of 'should' that causes me discomfort. I thankfully had some good folks going to bat for me.

I was more expressing my frustration at the mercurial process of bidding. Were I just starting bidding in the last couple of weeks I think I'd be really up a creek.

Then again, other diplomatic corps have vastly more head-scratching processes. A friend over at another Euro embassy said they just send off a list and hope HR gives them something good.

Yeah, most people I've talked to are essentially in directed assignment their entire career.

pamchenko
Apr 16, 2011

Zoots posted:

Even ours is more random than State's. To me the idea that if you don't have something more or less sewn up when bidding starts, you're doing it wrong, is incredibly amusing.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
And of course, they don't teach you any of that in A-100.

In other news, 4 Globetrotters has a recap from the attack in Tunis.

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

My girlfriend and I just submitted our applications for the FSOT. She's shooting for consular and I'm aiming for management.

Now comes the waiting/studying game.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Zoots posted:

Were I just starting bidding in the last couple of weeks I think I'd be really up a creek.

Oh, you mean the position I'm in? :woop:

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
I'm still getting people emailing me about my position for the first time. In October, really?

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Diplomaticus posted:

I'm still getting people emailing me about my position for the first time. In October, really?

#desperation

Zoots
Apr 19, 2007

No passport for you.

Diplomaticus posted:

So you got my email then? :downs:

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Oh bidding...

I swear I'm not counting anything until I see a TM1.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
hey mtreecorner: do you do any IPC work? I got training with one of your LES tomorrow.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Skandiaavity posted:

hey mtreecorner: do you do any IPC work? I got training with one of your LES tomorrow.

Thought tree was an OMS?

ATI Jesus
Aug 14, 2003
I can walk on water with my ATI graphics card installed!

TCD posted:

Hard to do that in EUR where bureau can and will disregard your number one pick if they feel like it.

I'm just glad to be on a short list or two in EUR, especially since one is my #1 pick.

Hell some people I know are lining up jobs a year before they bid. It's madness and I hope I don't have to start doing that.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.
Got a question for folks over on the fsgoons group.

mtreecorner
Sep 23, 2011
Sorry, I haven't been on the board in a while. It has been an insane month. Sana'a is very unique in terms of a FS experience it seems. The people here are great but unfortuately the world isn't so nice.

Tyro posted:

Yes, it was very sad. I never met him but it hit very close to home for a lot of the community here. Our local staff is great and to see this happen is very sobering. Between this, the protests last month, and the attack in Banghazi...

Skandiaavity posted:

Nope. I'm an OMS. But like I said, our LESers are great. Hope the training goes well.

mtreecorner fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Oct 15, 2012

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

ATI Jesus posted:

Hard to do that in EUR where bureau can and will disregard your number one pick if they feel like it.

I'm just glad to be on a short list or two in EUR, especially since one is my #1 pick.

Hell some people I know are lining up jobs a year before they bid. It's madness and I hope I don't have to start doing that.

Right... same boat I suppose :)

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I wish I could take the BEX today and get it over with :(

dlink
Sep 11, 2001
dlink hub system
What questions do they usually ask during your first interviews ?

I have an interview coming up soon, but not with the US Foreign Service (not US citizen).

I think i'm hosed, i don't really read up on world events except hearing about the huge ones and don't have an opinion on most things. I applied for the corporate services/consular type of position though, so i pray they don't ask me anything too deep.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin

Vasudus posted:

I wish I could take the BEX today and get it over with :(

I sympathize. My BEX was delayed almost 2 months due to Snowpacalypse in DC. The worst thing about these sorts of exams is waiting for them.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

dlink posted:

I have an interview coming up soon, but not with the US Foreign Service (not US citizen).

I think i'm hosed, i don't really read up on world events except hearing about the huge ones and don't have an opinion on most things. I applied for the corporate services/consular type of position though, so i pray they don't ask me anything too deep.

We have an NDA on the actual content of what they ask, so we couldn't say. But my experience is that other country's foreign services have markedly different entry processes, so I wouldn't necessarily expect it to be similar anyway.

haggan
Aug 22, 2012

Skandiaavity posted:

Yeah, that class will be after Applied Systems. The guy who went to Riydah's is Mr. Timmons and he loves cars.

Sadly, nope on the BBQ - wife just gave birth to a baby boy. He was goonin' it up in her womb so they finally got him out today. Can't believe I'm a dad. drat.

Congratulations!

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

dlink posted:

Cultural/society norms aside, some of the advice given - such as sounding confident, remaining in communication with managers and/or checking policies/law if you're unsure, should be viable. If you can learn that skill then you should do well in almost any kind of interview with some research.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Written exam doesn't have spell checker does it?

Because boy, am I going to get hosed for my over reliance on autocorrect.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Vasudus posted:

Nope it is basically a big plaintext box. Nothing fancy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Vasudus posted:

It doesn't make any sense either because, outside of the exam, when do we not have auto correct?