Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cerebral Wolf
Jun 20, 2008
Hello PS3 goons, is there anyone here that knows a great deal about the metagaming and out of game bullshit that use to go down in MAG? I'd like to talk to a bunch of people about it and get some specifics for something i'm writing.

Also, the OP need's updating with the new Dust 514 thread as it links to the old one still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
A 3-thread cross-post!
Public beta for both PS3 and Vita starts tomorrow for Plus members, and the following week for everyone else.

Someone was complaining about there being no public beta just the other day, and now here we go. I'm looking forward to trying this out, hopefully with the local multiplayer available.

e: Oh, he was saying that in the game's thread. Whatever.

SpacePig fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Oct 15, 2012

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

liquidypoo posted:

I'm halfway between enjoying the game and hating it. The game can be fun, but there are some goofy things that detract from the fun. Since you said you finished Leon's campaign, maybe you'll remember one of the team being shoved into a blender, more or less, by one of the super zombies, and even though you're right next to them, you can't help them out. You can shoot, you can kick, but it doesn't help at all, and it makes no sense at all.

The QTEs are also pretty awful in their own right. They go by way too quickly, especially considering that there are a fair amount of insta-death QTE failures. The one for climbing in particular is the bane of my existence.

I do remember that scene, and while somewhat cheesy, how does it detract? (I'm not white-knighting at all here, im generally curious :glomp: )

But yes, gently caress the insta-death QTE's. The climbing one was terrible until I figured it out. Are you making sure you are always holding 1 of the trigger buttons down at all times? IE.) Do NOT alternate L2/R2 (or whatever it is). Hold one, click the other, let go of the first, rinse and repeat. You'll be climbing like an Orangutan in no time :smuggo:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
So anyone else looking forward to The Unfinished Swan? I'm still not 100% sure what to make of it but it looks like one of those creative, laid back artsy games, so it has my interest. What little I've heard so far has said that it's very good (though short). It comes out tommorow and I might take a chance on it but for $15 it feels a little iffy.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

axleblaze posted:

So anyone else looking forward to The Unfinished Swan? I'm still not 100% sure what to make of it but it looks like one of those creative, laid back artsy games, so it has my interest. What little I've heard so far has said that it's very good (though short). It comes out tommorow and I might take a chance on it but for $15 it feels a little iffy.

Funny you should mention that. The embargo for the game lifted this morning and for once one of my amazing co-workers was on it. I heard good things -- good, abstract things -- which is sort of what happened with Journey too.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
I watched PSNation stream the first 3 levels and I am sold.

I'm all for the goofy artsy games.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

eightysixed posted:

I do remember that scene, and while somewhat cheesy, how does it detract? (I'm not white-knighting at all here, im generally curious :glomp: )

But yes, gently caress the insta-death QTE's. The climbing one was terrible until I figured it out. Are you making sure you are always holding 1 of the trigger buttons down at all times? IE.) Do NOT alternate L2/R2 (or whatever it is). Hold one, click the other, let go of the first, rinse and repeat. You'll be climbing like an Orangutan in no time :smuggo:

It is the year of our lord two thousand and twelve, why do QTEs still exist

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Did we ever find out how pre-ordering digital games on PSN works? Can you download the games in advance, and have them available for playing at midnight? Or do you still need to wait until PSN updates in the evening to download them and play usually the next day?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Code Jockey posted:

Because certain games use them and are incredibly popular. God of War being a big ol' example here.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Code Jockey posted:

You should check out Asura's Wrath, the definitive argument in favor of QTEs.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

homeless snail posted:

Oh wow, I forgot that game existed. Anyone know if it's dropped down to dirt cheap prices yet? Like "I've got 15 bucks in my pocket and see it used at GameStop" cheap. I remember the demo being kind of fun.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Policenaut posted:

Oh wow, I forgot that game existed. Anyone know if it's dropped down to dirt cheap prices yet? Like "I've got 15 bucks in my pocket and see it used at GameStop" cheap. I remember the demo being kind of fun.

It's pretty cheap in a lot of places. If you've got both consoles, get the 360 version, though. The framerate on the PS3 version gets really lovely at points.

Also, the content DLC (all the episode stuff) is effectively essential, so factor that into the price. You can skip the Street Fighter cameo ones, though.

It is best enjoyed with friends and beer. If your friends can quote and/or mock Dragonball Z, all the better.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Oct 16, 2012

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I got it for $15 on Newegg couple weeks back. Right in the anime DVD sweet spot, which is pretty much what Asura's Wrath is.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

eightysixed posted:

It just bothers me on some crazy level that in every other situation with a zombie grapple, you can fix it with a quick press of the O button. Here, though, because it's more important dramatically to fight off the zombie, they decided to prevent your partner from using the quick fix button. I mean, my couch co-op pal was being grappled by that guy, and I didn't get an O prompt. I was able to physically kick the zombie and actually get vibration feedback, telling me that I was hitting the bastard. Gameplay inconsistencies! Maybe I'm just a spergy lunatic :smith:

edit: On a quick note, your explanation of the climbing QTE makes perfect sense. Your button presses basically represent your hands grabbing the rope, so of course letting them both go would make you let go of the rope. :downs:

liquidypoo fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Oct 16, 2012

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

I said come in! posted:

Did we ever find out how pre-ordering digital games on PSN works? Can you download the games in advance, and have them available for playing at midnight? Or do you still need to wait until PSN updates in the evening to download them and play usually the next day?
It depends on the region.

In the North American region:
Pre-ordering the game just gets you some lame theme or another bonus and you would have to wait until the store update to download the game. Then when the game is available, it will appear as a free download in the store. I think all of the EA Sports games released this year on PSN managed to be available well before the usual store update.

In the European region:
Pre-ordering is an entirely different system. When a game is pre-ordered, you are not charged until 2 days before the game's release date. After successful payment, around the time the game becomes available, the PS3 system will automatically turn on and download the entire game. You do not need Playstation Plus for pre-order auto-download.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

ImpAtom posted:

Because certain games use them and are incredibly popular. God of War being a big ol' example here.

True. And truth be told, I don't really mind the ones in Yakuza 3/4/DS, even if the timing is pretty harsh at times, though I wouldn't be sad if they weren't there.

homeless snail posted:

Oh really? Are they executed in a unique way, or more lenient on timing, or what separates Asura's Wrath's QTEs from other games' QTEs?

Also, Toyko Jungle is... dangerous for me. It's like Lumines. I pick it up, and then suddenly it's 4 hours later.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I had an extra dollar on my account accumulated over the years, so I bought the crocodile for Tokyo Jungle. That jump. :allears:

I love putting ridiculous clothing on things in that game.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Code Jockey posted:

Oh really? Are they executed in a unique way, or more lenient on timing, or what separates Asura's Wrath's QTEs from other games' QTEs?

Asura's Wrath's QTEs are different because the entire game utilizes them to the absolute limit of what a QTE is. They are extremely unique, interesting, not simply do thing or game over, and link into the action so perfectly it's amazing.

The ultimate final boss alone is worth all of Asura's Wrath in the way it executes the QTE sequence. Hands down the most clever and innovative final boss fight in the history of video games.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

randombattle posted:

Asura's Wrath's QTEs are different because the entire game utilizes them to the absolute limit of what a QTE is. They are extremely unique, interesting, not simply do thing or game over, and link into the action so perfectly it's amazing.

The ultimate final boss alone is worth all of Asura's Wrath in the way it executes the QTE sequence. Hands down the most clever and innovative final boss fight in the history of video games.

Counterpoint: that game is dumb and makes you dumber for playing it. The plot is non sense garbage, the QTE stuff gets extremely old very quickly, and the actual "gameplay" segments turn it into an extremely lovely brawler. Maybe I wasn't the target demo (I never had a big interest in anime, but I'm always interested in over-the-top craziness) but the game failed for me on so many levels. After completing an episode, the game shows you a 30 second trailer of everything cool that's going to happen in the next episode before you start playing it, complete with dialogue explaining what is about to happen and warnings when you try to skip it.

I don't even remember the last boss fight (I skipped the DLC, obviously) so I won't comment on that.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Code Jockey posted:

There's more of them.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

SolidRed posted:

This seems particularly odd as I remember in Mass Effect 2 having a selection at the start of the game where you get asked questions about what you did in Mass Effect 1. My game skipped this bit because I had imported my data but I had assumed that would let you pick at least the big choices in case you were swapping console/lost your data.

That existed mostly due to a bug that prevented some decisions from being saved correctly.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
Remember that Director's Cut edition of Deadly Premonition that was announced for the PS3, then promptly went totally dark? It's still happening, evidently in Q1 2013.

From the blog:

quote:

Along with the original story and gameplay, there are some great new features, including HD graphics, an updated control system, a brand new scenario from the game’s director, Hidetaka “Swery” Suehiro, and DLC to keep the mystery going once you complete the main campaign.

Supposedly there will be Move support as well, though its not mentioned in the PS Blog entry.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

ChetReckless posted:

Remember that Director's Cut edition of Deadly Premonition that was announced for the PS3, then promptly went totally dark? It's still happening, evidently in Q1 2013.

From the blog:

Supposedly there will be Move support as well, though its not mentioned in the PS Blog entry.

Is there anything that they are adding to not make the gameplay suck rear end? Everything from the combat to driving sucks but the story is decent.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

blackguy32 posted:

Is there anything that they are adding to not make the gameplay suck rear end? Everything from the combat to driving sucks but the story is decent.

They're redoing the controls, they said.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

blackguy32 posted:

I'm curious as to whether the "updated control system" mentioned in the PS Blog entry refers just to the inclusion of Move controls, or if they actually reworked the controls entirely. I suspect the former, though the latter sure would be nice.

They've certainly had plenty of time to work on it, especially considering the game is already pretty much out on the PS3 already. I have no idea what else they're doing, though, so who knows.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

What does "HD graphics" even mean? This isn't an update to some last generation game! What.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Akuma posted:

What does "HD graphics" even mean? This isn't an update to some last generation game! What.
I dunno, but it does make me wonder what they are going to call the next leap up in resolution for TVs in general. "higher definition"? "maximum definition"? I'm sure the marketing people are already trying to figure that out.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 16, 2012

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Gamespot has a 10 minute or so interview with Swery here. In the first minute he mentions that the controls will be updated to be more consistent with the standards for the genre. The 360 version was 720, this version will be 1080.

edit - Apparently they are working on making the map better as well, but are running into problems, so no promises.

ChetReckless fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 16, 2012

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
If they add the ability to mark locations on you map, I will buy it in an instant. If they don't add that I won't buy it at all. I basically gave up on it original because I sucked at reading the map and when I was left to just wander around I got horribly lost and just stopped playing.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

I dunno, but it does make me wonder what they are going to call the next leap up in resolution for TVs in general. "higher definition"? "maximum definition"? I'm sure the marketing people are already trying to figure that out.

Ultra HD.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Oh, I guess they're way ahead of the game.

Also haha wow, 24 speaker surround sound standard. I've never had more than two speakers. Shouldn't they be better at software emulation of localized sound than to need 24 speakers?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Oct 16, 2012

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Anyone else having the PS3 news feed glitch out? Mine is just repeating "Enter the Code" over and over again.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

RandolphCarter posted:

Anyone else having the PS3 news feed glitch out? Mine is just repeating "Enter the Code" over and over again.
You better hurry up and enter that code before your PS3 self-destructs.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

RandolphCarter posted:

Same here. It's for a Slim Jims promotion with EA. The glitch went away when What's New was selected.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Anyone else with Plus try the PS All Stars beta? I can't seem to connect, and online is the only way to play it besides the tutorial.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
It just worked for me right now. I couldn't connect an hour ago.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

(posting this here too for people who don't follow the PlayStation All-Stars: Battle Royale thread)

IGN prime is now giving out two PlayStation All-Stars: Battle Royale codes to prime subscribers. Apparently instead of giving you access to the beta, it gives you 30 days of Plus?

quote:

Redeem a code for you and a friend to get 30 day access to Playstation Plus and to the Battle Royale beta! Available to US residents only.

Edit: confirmed, codes are 30-day trial Plus codes which upgrade into a 3-month subscription once it lapses.

gibbed fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Oct 17, 2012

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

Some news on the Starhawk developers going IoS exclusive, laying off 24 staff members in the process.

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2012/10/18/starhawk-developer-lightbox-lays-off-24-staff-drops-ps3-for-iphone/

drat shame, Starhawk got very little promotion and brings it back to the guy who said Sony "Send out titles to die", the company really does need to promote their stuff like Microsoft and Nintendo do, word of mouth can only take you so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Yeah, it's a real shame. Eat Sleep Play did exactly the same thing after the launch of Twisted Metal, jumping on board the iOS bandwagon and giving up console development.

• Locked thread