Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Josh Lyman posted:

my roommate gave leo a hat

give your roommate a hat just like it when he asleep and take a pic

when he wakes up from the flash give him a punch in the nads and take another pic

post pics

prophet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

stop trying to take pics of me pls tia

edit: v this one is cj, the girl

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Oct 16, 2012

Tunnelman
Feb 28, 2010

aaag air flow

Josh Lyman posted:

His paws look enormous and I love it

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Josh Lyman posted:

my roommate gave leo a hat

i hope that Leo scratched the ess-aych-aye-tee out of your room-mate for that bullshit prank

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

jesus censor that there are kittens around

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

PipeRifle
Oct 4, 2004

we have catte

Josh Lyman posted:

edit: v this one is cj, the girl

I just thought of this bit aren't orange girl cats kinda rare? I thought calicoes were primarily girls and orange cats were generally boys except in rare cases

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
That's what they told us about our orange girlcat, apparently it's really uncommon.

EDIT: Here she is being a loving idiot:

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
easiest to just copypasta

A cat with patches of red and black is a tortoiseshell, or 'tortie'. Add white, and you get a calico. A tortoiseshell that is homozygous for the recessive 'dilution' gene is referred to as a blue-cream, and that's what color it is: patches of soft grey and cream. This is the same gene that turns black cats 'blue' (grey), and red cats cream. A blue-cream and white is generally referred to in the cat world as a dilute calico. The pattern of black/red or blue/cream can either be in big dramatic patches, brindling, or some of both. Having more white seems to encourage the formation of the big patches.

Red in cats is a sex-linked color, carried on the X gene. Therefore, a male cat whose X carries red will be a red tabby. A female cat who carries one red and one non-red X will be a patched tabby, a tortoiseshell, or a calico (if she also has the dominant gene for white markings). A female cat who is homozygous for red (has it on both X genes) will be a red tabby. This is why you see more male red tabbies than females. This is also why male calicos are so rare: you have to have two X genes to be a calico. Male calicos have genetic aberrations of various sorts, of which XXY is most common. While they are most commonly sterile, there *are* documented cases of fertile male calicos. However, the generalization that "all calicos/torties are female" is true 99.999 percent of the time.

The reason red females are "uncommon" is that, statistically, the number of red males is equal to the number of tortoiseshell/calico, patched tabby, and red females. Red males and tortie/calico/patched tabby females can be produced when only one parent has the red gene, but to produce a red female, you must cross a red male with a red/tortie/calico/patched tabby female. That is why red females are uncommon. But not "impossible", in the sense that a male calico is "impossible."

A "solid red" cat will always display the tabby pattern (although it may be very slight or even undetectable without brushing the fur back to check). There's another gene at work which controls "agoutiness" (whether individual hairs are banded or solid). Cats who are non-agouti will not generally display the tabby pattern, except in red areas. The non-agouti gene does not affect phaeomelanin, the red pigment, so red cats always show their tabby pattern.

The red gene "overrides" the solid gene, making the tabby pattern visible again. (And on other solid colors, you can sometimes notice the underlying stripes, especially in strong light.) Solid red cats at cat shows may or may not be genetically solid--they are (generally longhairs) bred for the "blurring" of the tabby pattern, producing a cat that doesn't have dramatic markings.

just realize that it's wrong about tortoiseshell and they can have white because the color genes do not reach specific spots (feet, chest, belly) and are unable to express their color which causes a tortie with white in it

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Dexter's mother and 2 of his female siblings were orange tabby. He also had another orange brother and then, of course, Lulu.

edited for clarity.

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 16, 2012

Lemon Cello
Sep 2, 2011

you're posting...
Thomas and Edgar status this morning:

Yep.

Chorrax
May 11, 2007

:wotwot:
Lou next to our fully grown American Pitbull Terrier to demonstrate his hulky body

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Chorrax posted:

Lou next to our fully grown American Pitbull Terrier to demonstrate his hulky body

huge cat supremacy

Chorrax
May 11, 2007

We can't really have house plants without them becoming vomit under the bed.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Chorrax posted:

lookit dat stretch

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Chorrax posted:

gizmo just eats the dirt from the plant and pukes it everywhere :downs:

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

i cleaned up cat puke this morning cats are just great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKg9MioA-iA
trophy is only at the end of this one sorry kid-haters

Chorrax
May 11, 2007

The worst is when you find it dried up into some kind of cement. Had to scrape that poo poo off my crappy floors with a spatula. I threw out the spatula.

PipeRifle
Oct 4, 2004

we have catte

I came home yesterday and opened the door and Reuben was there and I was like "Hi reubie!" and he barfed

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

PipeRifle posted:

I came home yesterday and opened the door and Reuben was there and I was like "Hi reubie!" and he barfed

JERK.

PipeRifle
Oct 4, 2004

we have catte

Nah I petted him and made sure he was okay

It was just an ill-timed hairball spitup, he must have been harfing and hurfing before I even pulled up

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I am incredibly fortunate that Dexter and Lulu rarely vomit.

the worst time though is when I mixed canned and dry food together for them, and Dexter projectile vomited that poo poo so hard it was amazing.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

PipeRifle posted:

Nah I petted him and made sure he was okay

It was just an ill-timed hairball spitup, he must have been harfing and hurfing before I even pulled up

hes giving you a gift. if you dont lay down and eat the hairball he'll be sad and think he has to barf up an even bigger one next time

PipeRifle
Oct 4, 2004

we have catte

Yeah Doc used to barf literally every day, just hairballs or bile or ate-food-too-fast and it got to the point where I would hear him yowling and I'd go grab a paper plate and hold his back so he didn't run around and just let him barf on the plate and then throw it away

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

stringstheory
Mar 3, 2005

if you wish to roll a joint from scratch you must first invent the universe:420:

was rummaging around in my closet and got her head stuck in a paper bag. luckily we were there for the photo op.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Charlie barfs up a hairball type thing about once a week even though we brush the poo poo out of him, we think its because he eats hair off the ground from time to time. Appa has never puked in our house so we think that she has an iron stomach considering all she eats. we're just waiting for the day to come

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

El Gar posted:

i cleaned up cat puke this morning cats are just great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKg9MioA-iA
trophy is only at the end of this one sorry kid-haters

kid is awesome trophy is awesome video is awesome

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

zoey always hacks like she's gonna throw up but she never does, unless she's eaten a household plant. teddy never throws up, though, because he's perfect.

sup z & t

SUPRPISE, FLASH

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
now you've done it, you've activated robo-teddy

PipeRifle
Oct 4, 2004

we have catte

Also get some of the Petromalt stuff that helps with hairballs and it's delicious malt paste, cats go goddamn nuts for that poo poo

It's also really sticky so if you blob some on their paw they will lick at it forever and be distracted while you brush them or clip their other nails or whatev

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

PipeRifle posted:

Also get some of the Petromalt stuff that helps with hairballs and it's delicious malt paste, cats go goddamn nuts for that poo poo

It's also really sticky so if you blob some on their paw they will lick at it forever and be distracted while you brush them or clip their other nails or whatev

Ahahaha. Spenny refuses to eat that stuff.

Instead we rub it on his paws to force him to lick it off, however this is proceeded by an attempt to shake it off, where he lifts the front left and rear right leg, shakes, takes a step forward, lifts the front right and rear left, shake and repeat for a 4 legged rendition of the ministry of silly walks before he eventually grumps and starts cleaning it off.

Of course if you haven't rubbed it into his paws well enough he ends up flinging sticky brown paste around your house.

57Hz
Jan 27, 2009

A white-noise buzzing sound.
fritz manages to get under the blanket by herself

but she has a hard time with boxes

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Hahah I've been trying to get Zoey to take petromalt for weeks, never thought to put it on her paws

will try tonight and report back

Chorrax
May 11, 2007

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

PipeRifle posted:

Is that basically the same as laxatone cause when I tried that, Dooders wouldn't eat it and just lets it drop onto carpet.

Dooders is a barf machine

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

57Hz posted:

fritz manages to get under the blanket by herself

but she has a hard time with boxes

Fritz ist nicht eine name fur eine fraucat :hitler:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts