Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

b0bx13 posted:

Need some help troubleshooting DL speed issues. I figured it was fine before, but I've upgraded to a better connection now, so I want to take advantage. I'm with Time Warner on a pretty solid 20mbps connection. SAB only downloads at around 0.8-1.3 MB/s. This is with both Astraweb and Supernews. I've played with SSL, number of connections and ports, all with similar results. Is there anything else I can do?

What router do you have? I was getting those kinds of speeds, but after I replaced the router, after it died, I was getting 2 MBs. :dance:

Might also want to check your cable modem signal levels to make sure everything is ok there. Check to make sure the coaxial cables are nice and tight, they can loosen over time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b0bx13
Jun 14, 2006

Nitr0 posted:

This is dumb its not pretty good. I have a 25Mb fiber and it constantly pulls at 2.6MB/s.

Reboot your router. Does a speed test get up to full 20?

Speedtest.net always shows a surprisingly solid 20. Router has been rebooted multiple times.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Loucks posted:

Who knows? At least Chase's fraud protection algorithm is pretty good, it just sucks waiting for the new cards to show up.

Get another card, keep it activated but don't use it. When you have to cancel your other cards (I do this every 6-8 months or so to get the number out of the system) you can use the spare while the new one comes in. Then you make one of the new ones the next spare.

Only time I've had my card stolen was when Newzbin's card processor got hacked. This was like 3+ years ago, before they shut down.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

b0bx13 posted:

Speedtest.net always shows a surprisingly solid 20. Router has been rebooted multiple times.

ssl on or off make any difference?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Meta Ridley posted:

I am kind of confused, Astraweb is my primary provider and NZBMatrix/nzbs.org as my indexers and I haven't ran into any totally nuked posts which I figure would be very common. Usually a couple parts missing but so far with 300GB downloaded I've used 2.4GB of blocknews as backup, 100% completion rate.

by 300GB I mean since adding blocknews. I've downloaded about 700GB overall

This is my experience with Supernews as well. I pretty much never get DMCA'd downloads and I d/l a lot more than you.

I'm sure it relates to downloading habits: what you download, how old it is when you download it, etc...

b0bx13
Jun 14, 2006

Nitr0 posted:

ssl on or off make any difference?
Not at all.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
how bout bypassing the router

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

This is my experience with Supernews as well. I pretty much never get DMCA'd downloads and I d/l a lot more than you.

I'm sure it relates to downloading habits: what you download, how old it is when you download it, etc...

I think I may be doing it wrong. Say I download post x. It finishes and gives the red error "repair failed, not enough blocks (2658 short)"

From there, I hit retry, and retry on the pop up right? I've never had success after it initially fails.

I'm using Supernews and Blocknews (I think I just figured out why, but please let me know what you think)

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Thermopyle posted:

This is pretty much it. I download a lot of stuff from Supernews and pretty much only ever run in to DMCAed posts in groups offering a particular category of content. a.b.g.x is one of the main ones affected in my experience, most content there doesn't last much more than a few hours.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Nitr0 posted:

This is dumb its not pretty good. I have a 25Mb fiber and it constantly pulls at 2.6MB/s.

But you're on fiber; cable providers are notorious for underdelivering. I was sold "12-16 megabit download speeds" but I'm lucky to get 6 most days. Friday nights when everyone's watching (or streaming) TV it slows to a crawl. YMMBB in a city that isn't as dense as San Francisco, though.

VVVVV well, that's true

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Oct 16, 2012

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
If a speed test pulls 20 usenet should be 20

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Unless you're being traffic shaped or any other tricks the ISPs pull.

MasterColin
Aug 4, 2006

Nitr0 posted:

Yeah, I'm on a 12Mb comcast line and I'm pulling like 1.5MB/s with no issues. I've seen prolonged spikes into the 2.2MB area. (Long enough that I stopped watching it.)

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Speaking of traffic shaping, anyone here use an OpenVPN proxy or something similar? I only really get throttled on streaming video, not Usenet, but it is annoying enough that I am considering just encrypting everything for a few bucks a year.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Loucks posted:

Has anyone else on astraweb had issues with their credit card being compromised? My card has been stolen and used fraudulently three times in the past couple of years, and I'm trying to figure out what the hell I'm doing wrong.

Also, my spouse inexplicably thinks it's astraweb and some testimony to the contrary would be helpful.

I have been paying Astraweb with my credit card for 3 years and have not had an issue.

Softcox
Jul 13, 2004

But I will not hesitate.
Not for a second.
Anyone else with a Mac getting slow download speeds with SABnzbd? I made a thread on sabnzbd.org but so far no one else seems affected :smith:

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Having a very odd problem, but not sure if it's sabnzbd or my ipad. When I access sabnzdb from my ipad (localhost:8080), it's only showing a random freeze frame from a week or two ago. It's fine at my desktop, but it's the strangest thing.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

The Modern Leper posted:

Having a very odd problem, but not sure if it's sabnzbd or my ipad. When I access sabnzdb from my ipad (localhost:8080), it's only showing a random freeze frame from a week or two ago. It's fine at my desktop, but it's the strangest thing.

I'm assuming you're not running sab on your iPad?

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Keito posted:

I'm assuming you're not running sab on your iPad?

No. Just viewing the service from the browser. Apparently, Safari doesn't like to release its cache regardless of what's happening on the server side. Resolved.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

The Modern Leper posted:

No. Just viewing the service from the browser. Apparently, Safari doesn't like to release its cache regardless of what's happening on the server side. Resolved.

I'm pretty sure he asked because if you are literally browsing to "localhost" on your ipad it won't work.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
You're browsing localhost on your iPad and it's showing you SABnzbd that's hosted on your PC? That shouldn't be working, should it?

edit: I type slow

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

The Modern Leper posted:

Localhost basically means "the computer that this browser is running on"... aka your iPad. Assuming your iPad is on the same network as your desktop, you want to input the IP address of your desktop instead of localhost.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Ipad issue. For some reason, Safari doesn't like to let go of its cache. Also, by localhost, I meant "my double plus secret IP address"

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"

The Modern Leper posted:

Ipad issue. For some reason, Safari doesn't like to let go of its cache. Also, by localhost, I meant "my double plus secret IP address"

Same issue here. Just have to smash refresh a few times.

Started when I moved to IOS6.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

ClassH posted:

I have been paying Astraweb with my credit card for 3 years and have not had an issue.

Same for me, been using it since 2009 without any issues

evilbastard
Mar 6, 2003

Hair Elf
I restarted Sickbeard last night to build 497, and then promptly was locked out - Sickbeard was running, the log file was screaming up at 5k / second but there was no webpage.

It turns out that it was reindexing, and adding a file size to each episode. My Sickbeard Database is quite big [ 395 shows (146 active) | 18753/18788 episodes downloaded] and it ended up taking around 50 minutes to finish moving everything around before the web management interface came back up.

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"

The Modern Leper posted:

New version released today. Change log cites this issue as fixed.

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?

evilbastard posted:

My Sickbeard Database is quite big [ 395 shows (146 active) | 18753/18788 episodes downloaded]

:aaa: and I thought mine was big at 100 shows..

Do those 35 missing episodes keep you awake at night?

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit

evilbastard posted:

My Sickbeard Database is quite big [ 395 shows (146 active) | 18753/18788 episodes downloaded] and it ended up taking around 50 minutes to finish moving everything around before the web management interface came back up.

What indexes are you using?

aca
Dec 19, 2004
heh
Anyone have any nzbs.org or nzb.su invites? It would be greatly appreciated!

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

aca posted:

I have some nzb.su invites but just FYI they don't like the thread clogged up with invite requests so just PM me with your email.

evilbastard
Mar 6, 2003

Hair Elf

Gism0 posted:

:aaa: and I thought mine was big at 100 shows..

Do those 35 missing episodes keep you awake at night?

I'm in Australia, so I'm always a day ahead. It would be nice if Sickbeard had the option to run as a particular timezone - it was suggested a few years back but never made it into the formal code. As of today, it's at 18777/18797 and 5 of those missing shows are not scheduled to start until up to June 2013.

Bobx66 posted:

What indexes are you using?

I took the lazy way out and spent money, so I'm using Newsbin / Easynews, and about once a week I go looking for missed things via the Easynews web interface and just drop the .NZB into the black hole directory

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?

evilbastard posted:

I'm in Australia, so I'm always a day ahead. It would be nice if Sickbeard had the option to run as a particular timezone - it was suggested a few years back but never made it into the formal code. As of today, it's at 18777/18797 and 5 of those missing shows are not scheduled to start until up to June 2013.

Ah yeah, I'm in Australia too and that does annoy me a little.

What provider are you using? I'm with Giganews at the moment (with a block plan from Astraweb as backup) but I'm still getting so many failed downloads and missing articles, which is a huge pain in the rear end to find out after a huge download.

Mujaji
Oct 2, 2004
"The Transformers soundtrack is quite probably the greatest single album in the entire history of recorded music"

Gism0 posted:

Ah yeah, I'm in Australia too and that does annoy me a little.

What provider are you using? I'm with Giganews at the moment (with a block plan from Astraweb as backup) but I'm still getting so many failed downloads and missing articles, which is a huge pain in the rear end to find out after a huge download.

Thread is full of Australians, I use Internode's free Usenet which is Astraweb I can't remember the last time I had a failed download, I have a backup Blocknews account but it has bearly been touched I have only used 600meg of it in a year downloading 100gig or so a month.

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?

Mujaji posted:

Thread is full of Australians, I use Internode's free Usenet which is Astraweb I can't remember the last time I had a failed download, I have a backup Blocknews account but it has bearly been touched I have only used 600meg of it in a year downloading 100gig or so a month.

Ah I didn't know internode offered usenet for free.. I'm stuck using Dodo, though because my area was forced to upgrade to fibre (South Brisbane) I get 25mbit fibre with no usage cap which none of the other ISPS seem to do in this area..

Sab seems to make good use of my backup Astraweb account actually, though it's newly released movies which seem to fail most often, and files over 1000 days old usually fail, even though they advertise 1525 days retention.

Maybe I'll swap them around and use Astraweb as the main and something else as the backup.

Giganews:
Total: 3.4 T
Today: 109.6 G
This week: 1.0 T
This month: 2.8 T

Astraweb (Backup)
Total: 10.4 G
Today: 466 M
This week: 4.6 G
This month: 10.4 G

It's a shame that torrents are so unreliable (speed-wise) because at least I know the file will work after it's downloaded.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

There's always the seedbox/private tracker route.

That requires a little too much effort IMO though and ends up costing more than usenet.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My combo of Newshosting (Highwinds) and a BlockNews account that's a few years old is still going strong. Managed to pull a set of files that were 1,480 days old the other day and came down without a hitch. Plus I share the account with a friend (different IP) so I only pay about $7 a month, really can't complain.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Just noticed that ever since I updated SickBeard to latest Windows (Build 497), it's dumping anything it grabs that uses airdate and not sXXeXX into the shows root folder, not its year. Anyone else seeing this?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

The pHo posted:

Just noticed that ever since I updated SickBeard to latest Windows (Build 497), it's dumping anything it grabs that uses airdate and not sXXeXX into the shows root folder, not its year. Anyone else seeing this?

Config->Post Processing, Under naming change it to whatever you want. He changed the default awhile ago, no clue why.

I changed it to Custom and use "Season %0S/%SN - %Sx%0E - %EN" since my structure is basically Root\ShowName\Season 0x\.

There's also a toggle to name Air by dates differently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Sure, I got a secret. More than one...

aca posted:

I've got 5 for nzb.su as well. PM me