Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I wonder what it's like to work at the fake spoiler company and what you tell people you do when you meet them at parties.

"What'd you do today?"
"I designed a new fake spoiler that costs 30 cents less than the previous fake spoiler to produce."
"How much downforce does it provide?"
"What are you, a narc?"
"I separate stupid people from their money."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

The Blue L-Block posted:

Ah, the Penny Farthing donk. Part of me wants to run up and give it a push to see if it rolls over.

I was going to take a picture of this ridiculous Beetle I saw last Friday. Big metal spoiler, flame decals, and dollar signs painted all over the windows. I shudder to think it was actually for sale. Unfortunately, I got distracted because I spent some time extricating this nice surprise someone left me in my driver's side door lock.

I'm honestly surprised it took this long for someone to try to steal my car (95 Accord) :(

I always thought it was a bit ridiculous for mid-90's hondas to have clubs on them, but I guess I underestimate how lucrative they are to car thieves. :(
Even accord wagons and first-gen odysseys had clubs. In a nice part of Seattle(Ravenna).

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Sagebrush posted:

Not all that uncommon around here, but usually they at least take off the original spoiler before mounting the bookshelf.

If it works on biplanes...

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Geoj posted:

Am I missing something or is there no driveshaft on that car?

That's next. :downsrim:

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?

nm posted:

Much like a razor, it lifts and separates.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

The Blue L-Block posted:

I was going to take a picture of this ridiculous Beetle I saw last Friday. Big metal spoiler, flame decals, and dollar signs painted all over the windows. I shudder to think it was actually for sale. Unfortunately, I got distracted because I spent some time extricating this nice surprise someone left me in my driver's side door lock.

I'm honestly surprised it took this long for someone to try to steal my car (95 Accord) :(

Could it be that some dude thought your Accord was his Accord and snapped his key in your lock before realizing, "Wait, this isn't my car."

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

tobu posted:

This lady has been driving around my town for the last week or so. The only damage seems to be the bonnet but how it doesn't fly open is anyone's guess.

I bet she will continue to drive around like this until the police catch her. :(

Jeez, we live in the same town. That shop front looked familiar as soon as I saw it.

I'll keep a lookout for that car.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Safety Dance posted:

Could it be that some dude thought your Accord was his Accord and snapped his key in your lock before realizing, "Wait, this isn't my car."
Probably not. Almost every early 90s Honda can be unlocked with another early 90s Honda key assuming the lock has gotten worn out enough. The hood cables are also reportedly pretty easy to open.

Thieves know that. Some guy on a local car forum woke up to find thieves trying to steal his battery-less (for antitheft) Civic CX, and while he was on the phone with police, he watched the thieves break into another Honda further up the road and bring its battery back to try and start his car with it.

There was also a small rash of people kicking in the doors of Mazda 3s when it was revealed that just giving the doors a good boot can twist something in the linkage and unlock them.

I'd throw a hidden kill switch on that Accord and make sure you don't leave a garage door opener or any personal information/titles in it.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Oct 17, 2012

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
:lol:

Where does that information get posted when discovered?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

nm posted:

I wonder if there are any statistics on how many accidents have been caused by horrible fake spoilers actually increasing rear lift at speed, resulting in horrible oversteery crashes as the back wheels leave the ground in corners?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Slim Pickens posted:

I always thought it was a bit ridiculous for mid-90's hondas to have clubs on them, but I guess I underestimate how lucrative they are to car thieves. :(

The 1994 Accord has been the most stolen car in America for something like 5 years running. If I owned one I'd probably have the Club, a kill switch and an alarm on it.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Why the hell are early-to-mid-'90s Hondas so tempting to steal? :psyduck: What am I missing?

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Q_res posted:

The 1994 Accord has been the most stolen car in America for something like 5 years running. If I owned one I'd probably have the Club, a kill switch and an alarm on it.

I had someone steal two of the the center caps off my 1994 Accord's wheels in a parking garage between 11PM and 7AM on a weekday while I was at work. It was a POS though so if someone stole it I would have been happy.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Why the hell are early-to-mid-'90s Hondas so tempting to steal? :psyduck: What am I missing?

Easy to steal. Tons of aftermarket demand.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

veedubfreak posted:

Easy to steal. Tons of aftermarket demand.
They hit a ton of high points.

One, they're super common. This means that people have figured out all the tricks to steal them. It also means that if you're driving around in a stolen Accord, you're one of several thousand cruising around. It's easy to spot the stolen Ferrari.

Two, being super common means you find a bunch of them in the 'hood, where cars are typically stolen and where stolen cars are typically driven. The more you blend in, the less likely you are to be caught. It's kind of hard to explain your brand new Mercedes with a busted lock, but you might have bought your beater 95 Accord that way.

Three, kids and other demographic groups who are prone to wrecking cars tend to drive these. That means there's a huge demand for parts to repair these cars. Also, see all the points above. Common cars and low budgets and poor maintenance and a need to keep the cars on the road all lead to an increased demand for used parts.

Four, if you just need a car to roll around in, this is one that's most likely to draw the least attention.

Five, they're actually easy to break into and steal.

It's a perfect storm.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

drgitlin posted:

I wonder if there are any statistics on how many accidents have been caused by horrible fake spoilers actually increasing rear lift at speed, resulting in horrible oversteery crashes as the back wheels leave the ground in corners?

I'd imagine not as many as happen on cars where people have removed the rear spoiler and the rear gets light at speed when you come off the throttle. IE. Mitsubishi Evo has been known to do this.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

drgitlin posted:

I doubt any of these cars are fast enough to have it be an issue.

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

The biggest thing to remember is that, outside of dumb kids stealing cars for joyrides, most cars are stolen to be broken down into parts and sold. A stolen car in its entirety is not worth very much, other than for a robbery getaway or something. Too easy to be identified later and pretty much impossible to register. But most parts aren't traceable at all, and even the vin-coded bits like the engine can be conveniently de-labeled and no one cares. When someone steals your ITR or Civic Si they are not planning on tracking it and enjoying the perfectly neutral handling, they are planning on ripping the B16 out and selling it to some kid with a clapped-out D15 civic with TEZZAS and a fartcan.

lazer_chicken fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 17, 2012

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

lazer_chicken posted:

When someone steals your ITR or Civic Si they are not planning on tracking it and enjoying the perfectly neutral handling, they are planning on ripping the B16 out and selling it to some kind with a clapped-out D15 civic with TEZZAS and a fartcan.

That's exactly what happened to my '99 Si a few years back. There was an auto theft ring going for a while in NE Ohio, their MO being that they steal Civics from the mid-to-late '90s. Mine was stolen on Veteran's Day from a staff parking lot at Kent State. It was the third break-in on that car too. My car's body frame was found a few weeks later completely stripped, and the engine was found about a year later in a car some guy bought for his son unaware of its illicit origin, which probably formerly had the deadbeat spec D16Y.

So it goes.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

There was also a small rash of people kicking in the doors of Mazda 3s when it was revealed that just giving the doors a good boot can twist something in the linkage and unlock them.

Someone dented the driver door on my 3 a couple of months before Mazda issued a recall to put a reinforcing plate over top of the linkage, I didn't figure out what the denter had tried to do until I read the letter.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Are you in Canada? I never got a recall.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
They only recalled the actual models that were affected, I think it was only the first couple of years.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Mine was made before the metal plates were installed at the factory. I thought they would only put it in for free if you were in an affected area like Vancouver Island or something funny like that.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
No idea, sorry. Perhaps your criminals were dumber and less well-connected than ours, because it's one of the main reasons I dumped the Mazda3 as a potential choice at the time.

And judging from how good my insurance company is at dealing with claims it's a good thing I did.

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

CharlesM posted:

Mine was made before the metal plates were installed at the factory. I thought they would only put it in for free if you were in an affected area like Vancouver Island or something funny like that.

I grew up on the Island, am now in Vancouver, and always think it's kind of cool when references to either pop up in AI, of all places. Now I'm curious...why is the Island particularly affected by people trying to kick Mazda 3 doors?

The Blue L-Block
Oct 1, 2005
Tetris <3

Safety Dance posted:

Nope, that is most definitely a shaved key. Accords (and I think most other Hondas) from the early 90s were made with only a certain number of key combinations so it is entirely possible that you can open different cars with a legitimate key. Everyone else already touched on the points of why YOU should steal yourself a mid 90s Honda.

I like to think they ultimately gave up because I have a bunch of action figures glued all over the dashboard. Like "Oh man, we CANNOT be seen driving this thing... it's covered in Posh Spices and Army Men."

Bonus: Note the nice big scratch they put in my car. That wasn't there when I left for work you fucks! :argh:

The Blue L-Block fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Oct 18, 2012

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

The Blue L-Block posted:

Nope, that is most definitely a shaved key. Accords (and I think most other Hondas) from the early 90s were made with only a certain number of key combinations so it is entirely possible that you can open different cars with a legitimate key. Everyone else already touched on the points of why YOU should steal yourself a mid 90s Honda.

I heard one time that the Ford F-series and E-series all used the same one-hundred and some odd combinations, making things easy if you had a big enough key ring.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Captain McAllister posted:

I grew up on the Island, am now in Vancouver, and always think it's kind of cool when references to either pop up in AI, of all places. Now I'm curious...why is the Island particularly affected by people trying to kick Mazda 3 doors?

I heard it happened a bunch there. I guess thieves like to gossip about how to break into Mazdas? Of course, I could be totally mis-remembering...

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Better hope you have plenty of time to gently caress around with a car to try an entire janitor's keyring full of keys on the car.

Pretty sure I'd go with a wedge and coathanger to get into some old van or truck and be inside in about 30 seconds max.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Some contributions.

Hard to tell, but it has those spike lug nuts.

ITSHOIZ

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

YF19pilot posted:

I heard one time that the Ford F-series and E-series all used the same one-hundred and some odd combinations, making things easy if you had a big enough key ring.
Early Camaros with the resistor key immobilizer had only a few combinations, and you could buy the entire set of resistor keys from a GM dealership for $50.

Dunno how you'd go on to start it without the right teeth on the key but I'm guessing it's not a big concern if you have enough time alone with the car.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Early Camaros with the resistor key immobilizer had only a few combinations, and you could buy the entire set of resistor keys from a GM dealership for $50.

Dunno how you'd go on to start it without the right teeth on the key but I'm guessing it's not a big concern if you have enough time alone with the car.

A slide hammer to pull the ignition lock followed by holding each key up near the ignition by the ring antenna while you turned the ignition switch with a flat head screwdriver.

Or so I've heard.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The resistor-key setup would've required you to actually make contact with the resistor circuit - but the tolerance was pretty wide and aside from those two wires, it's just a deeper version of ye olde GM tumbler. Hell, on the '94 Z28, when the resistor readers in the cylinder wore out, my dad hardwired a resistor in and replaced it with a standard GM non-PassKey cylinder.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

The resistor-key setup would've required you to actually make contact with the resistor circuit - but the tolerance was pretty wide and aside from those two wires, it's just a deeper version of ye olde GM tumbler. Hell, on the '94 Z28, when the resistor readers in the cylinder wore out, my dad hardwired a resistor in and replaced it with a standard GM non-PassKey cylinder.

Oh, right...I wasn't thinking VATS. Yes, the standard bypass on those for remote starts is to simply measure the resistor in the key and substitute with $0.04 worth of resistors to make a similar value. As you mentioned, the tolerance is pretty wide because you can't count on perfect contact from the key every time (dirt, whatever).

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I don't have a picture but yesterday I saw an Accord sedan with a vinyl top. :911:

(That particular style isn't popular anywhere else right?)

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
This thread makes me happy the only time I ever owned a Honda was in high school and was able to get rid of it after only 2 years. My god that car was a huge pile of poo poo. 85 Accord, the air conditioner blew up 3 days after I bought it. The brakes sucked rear end, it was made out of tin foil. Slow as poo poo too.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

veedubfreak posted:

This thread makes me happy the only time I ever owned a Honda was in high school and was able to get rid of it after only 2 years. My god that car was a huge pile of poo poo. 85 Accord, the air conditioner blew up 3 days after I bought it. The brakes sucked rear end, it was made out of tin foil. Slow as poo poo too.

Yeah man, all Honda cars should be judged on your experience with a crapbox you had in Highschool.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Octopus Magic posted:

Yeah man, all Honda cars should be judged on your experience with a crapbox you had in Highschool.

And the high theft. They are still made out of tin foil even today. Look at a honda wrong and it dents.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Thank god VW's don't have any reliability problems like that cheap rear end Honda poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.
I loved my high school 89 civic 5 speed crapbox :unsmith:

I'd like to find one again in decent condition and fix it up even.