Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

If the leaked photo is real, it looked like the new iMac has a 3.5" drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Transistor Rhythm posted:

No "retina" (isn't the iMac already at that resolution?)
It's about PPI not resolution. The current iMac is not Retina.

taint toucher
Sep 23, 2004

empty baggie posted:

If the leaked photo is real, it looked like the new iMac has a 3.5" drive.

I'm hoping they make the hard drive a user accessible component again. It was such a pain in the rear end to install an SSD in my 2011 27".

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Action Jackson! posted:

I'm hoping they make the hard drive a user accessible component again. It was such a pain in the rear end to install an SSD in my 2011 27".

Given the trend in their design choices so far I'd say it's going to get harder, if not impossible, to swap out hardware in the iMacs in the future.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Mu Zeta posted:

The G5 iMacs were awesome. The entire back panel could be taken off easily and nearly everything was accessible.
While the G5 iMac might be good for repair work, those things are seriously heavy. I moved a 17" G5 iMac the other day and I am sure it is heavier than the 20" iMac I have on my desk

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Given their continued trend toward completely un-upgradable an unopenable hardware, has Apple made any attempt to address the environmental implications of pushing most users toward obsolescence and shortened lifespans of their hardware? It just strikes me as hilariously at odds with their Eco angle to make systems that the average "non-hacker" end user is going to replace more often than if they could stick in a better hard drive and upgrade the ram halfway through the system's life.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Bob Morales posted:

We have two developers on old-poo poo iMacs who are due for a new machine at the end of the year. If they get Retina iMacs.... :argh:

Transistor Rhythm posted:

If there's no new iMac, Apple has actually truly abandoned desktops. It's been FOREVER.

I've been looking to upgrade my '08 C2D iMac, but the current iMacs are year and a half old hardware. Longest period ever between HW refreshes. I actually just really want a guts-updated version of the current model. No "retina" (isn't the iMac already at that resolution?), no "even slimmer" design, no soldered-in RAM, no teardrop shape...if there's some goony new thing, I'll just grab one of the current refurbs when they get even cheaper. Anything's an upgrade from my 4-year-old C2D!
Last I heard, rumors were the retina iMacs wouldn't be ready until 2013. I'd like to be surprised, though...

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I hope there are no new iMacs. My 2008 iMac still looks reasonably current, and I cant afford a new one anytime soon.

Also, its been one month i've had the magic trackpad, and have used my mouse 0 times. It's a proven product.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

You Am I posted:

While the G5 iMac might be good for repair work, those things are seriously heavy. I moved a 17" G5 iMac the other day and I am sure it is heavier than the 20" iMac I have on my desk

Heck, the 21.5" iMac weighs the same or less than the 15" iMac G4.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
Hello goons! After a little advice, I have a mid-2010 MacBook Pro 13 inch (2.4 C2D) and since I can't quite afford to build my ~dream PC~ yet, I've compromised and am looking at putting an SSD into my MacBook. I was just wondering what SSD will fit/which is a decent one to put in (not OCZ!) and is 240-256GB. I know it should be a 7mm? But basically I was just wondering if a goon can link me to one! Also, I currently have 4GB of RAM, would it be worth upgrading to 8GB? I don't really do anything intensive at all, as in the most I do is watch youtube/brows SA/facebook.

Thanks in advance goons!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Guni posted:

Hello goons! After a little advice, I have a mid-2010 MacBook Pro 13 inch (2.4 C2D) and since I can't quite afford to build my ~dream PC~ yet, I've compromised and am looking at putting an SSD into my MacBook. I was just wondering what SSD will fit/which is a decent one to put in (not OCZ!) and is 240-256GB. I know it should be a 7mm? But basically I was just wondering if a goon can link me to one! Also, I currently have 4GB of RAM, would it be worth upgrading to 8GB? I don't really do anything intensive at all, as in the most I do is watch youtube/brows SA/facebook.

Thanks in advance goons!

That capacity is still a little pricey. But right now, Amazon has the Samsung Series 830 256GB SSD on sale for $180. It's a good enough drive.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Guni posted:

Hello goons! After a little advice, I have a mid-2010 MacBook Pro 13 inch (2.4 C2D) and since I can't quite afford to build my ~dream PC~ yet, I've compromised and am looking at putting an SSD into my MacBook. I was just wondering what SSD will fit/which is a decent one to put in (not OCZ!) and is 240-256GB. I know it should be a 7mm?
Who said it needs to be 7mm? You can stick a 12.5mm drive in a MacBook Pro if you want.

Your 2010 MBP is only SATA 2.0, you can go with almost any SSD. The Samsung 830 is a favorite, Intel is always a solid choice, and lots of Sandforce-based drives are always on sale.

quote:

But basically I was just wondering if a goon can link me to one! Also, I currently have 4GB of RAM, would it be worth upgrading to 8GB? I don't really do anything intensive at all, as in the most I do is watch youtube/brows SA/facebook.

If all you do is post on the forums and watch Youtube, you don't need 8GB. But if you have $35 to burn you can do it if you want. Doesn't matter what you buy, but I prefer brands like Crucial, Kingston, or Mushkin. I've used PNY and G.Skill as well.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Is this old news? My iPhone 4 shocks me when I plug it in. It's just a slight tingling sensation, and it's only on the bottom right and left corners or the phone. Weird!

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

Cameron posted:

Is this old news? My iPhone 4 shocks me when I plug it in. It's just a slight tingling sensation, and it's only on the bottom right and left corners or the phone. Weird!

Uhh........ yeah weird!

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Cameron posted:

Mine is always in a case so I have never been shocked, but yeah I guess it's a thing.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4013128?start=0&tstart=0

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

After waiting for a new iMac for a while now I broke down last week and ordered a Retina instead. It arrives on the 25th so if any of the new announcements blow me away I may just return it, but I've warmed up to the idea of it by now, so I may just keep it and wait for the Thunderbolt display refresh.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Are the rumors for the new iMac only for the 21 inch model or also for the 27 inch?

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Cameron posted:

If you plug it straight into the wall and this happens, you have two issues: that outlet's not grounded and you're posting in the wrong thread. If you plug it in an available Mac USB port and this happens, you have compounded problems, but I'd start with bad / ungrounded wiring or funny power. Don't use those outlets. :(

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

Are the rumors for the new iMac only for the 21 inch model or also for the 27 inch?

21, with the 27 coming later.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

empty baggie posted:

21, with the 27 coming later.

I hope not. I'm tired of waiting for a 27inch. If that turns out to be true, maybe I'll just get a refurb.

Edit: Btw does anyone know of a good place to sell off my old 2008 MBP? Gazelle won't give me poo poo for it, though I found a site that says they'll pay me at least $300.

Haggins fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 17, 2012

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Haggins posted:

Edit: Btw does anyone know of a good place to sell off my old 2008 MBP? Gazelle won't give me poo poo for it, though I found a site that says they'll pay me at least $300.

Is it a Unibody or the old style? 15" or 13"?

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

The very last of the old style 15 with everything working, max ram, and the hd upgraded to 750gb.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Haggins posted:

The very last of the old style 15 with everything working, max ram, and the hd upgraded to 750gb.

Good luck getting much more than $400 :(

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Bob Morales posted:

.... Which raises the question: what's the optimal duration of ownership of an Apple laptop such that you get value from the machine but still get a decent amount of residual value in resale?

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
There's a few central rules of reselling Apple products.

Off the lot it loses about 5%, mostly because you paid taxes and who wants to pay taxes when buying used poo poo.

After Refurbs of the product come out it loses another 5%.

After a new generation of the product it loses about 5%, add another 10% to that if they drop the price on the product you own and still sell it (e.g. iPad 2).

It then loses 10% per year, and much more if the newer generation has technology that just cannot be beat (e.g. Intel Processors vs. G4)

To put this in perspective, a $1000 Macbook Air is $950 to try to sell it a month later used. $900 once refurbs come out (3-4 months later), and then $800-850 once the new generation comes out (12 months later).

So the normal answer to the question, is that the best time to sell your Apple product is right before the announcement of the new generation.

E: Also factor in whatever costs of selling that eBay, Amazon charge you.. which can be around another 5-8%.

FlashBangBob fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Oct 18, 2012

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

^^^Good to know.

Bob Morales posted:

Good luck getting much more than $400 :(

I think I might just go with the site offering $300. IMO that's just enough to make it worth selling. Much less and I might as well keep it or give it to someone in the family.

Next time I'm not going to keep a Mac longer than 2 years. I mostly use mine for photo editing and it seems after that mark, performance starts to deteriorate (esp when I upgrade to cameras with larger files and keep software current). My MBP was great the first couple years, sluggish but useable the third, and too slow to be able to do anything this past year. It really makes me not want to shoot when editing is so aggravating.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I had some questions earlier about when I should update my current MacBook (i.e. buy a new one). Then the discussion a few pages back got me thinking.

I now have a 13" MacBook Pro, that I bought last summer. My idea was to buy the next Pro that is released (come spring, I guess), but is there really any reason not to buy a 13" Air instead? I only use my laptop for standard stuff like Word, surfing, using it to watch HD movies on my TV etc. I don't know why I even bought a Pro to begin with, but I guess I just wanted to be sure that I wasn't going to miss out on something.

The only real drawback I can see, is a smaller HD - but that's not really a problem. When is a Pro better than an Air? When you're working with photos and videos like a madman?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The advantage of the 13" Pro is the user accessible hard drive and RAM. Those features are probably going away with the Retina update this month. I guess the processor is better but it won't matter for the average user.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Pro:
'Better' screen
optical drive
Firewire
Gigabit ethernet
Slightly longer battery life
Faster CPU performance (higher base and turbo clocks)
Upgradeable to 16GB RAM
Upgradeable to DUAL hard drives

Air:
Less-glossy screen
Higher-resolution screen
Thinner
Lighter
SSD from the factory
- Can't upgrade RAM, limited SSD upgrades

Many people think for that much of a size increase there should be a quad-core and discrete graphics card. And many people think the Pro should be at least available BTO with the 1440x900 screen.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

FlashBangBob posted:

E: Also factor in whatever costs of selling that eBay, Amazon charge you.. which can be around another 5-8%.

Final value fee for electronics on Ebay is 7% for the first $50 and 5% after that, Paypal credit card fee is 30 Cents plus 2.9% so it's best to look at it as roughly 9% in fees. That's charged on both the price and the shipping.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 18, 2012

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Xabi posted:

The only real drawback I can see, is a smaller HD - but that's not really a problem. When is a Pro better than an Air? When you're working with photos and videos like a madman?

The weight difference/distribution is huge. It feels so much lighter to carry a 13in Air vs Pro. Part of it is the pure weight, the other part is by putting all the weight by the hinge it feels much lighter to work on standing up.

I'm not stating it well, but the weight you feel if working on it while open is less then the numbers would imply because the diffulty of holding it while working standing up is mostly the torque of weight that's farthest from where you are holding. I had no problem working on a 13in Air standing up and have yet to ever do that with my 15in retina pro. The weight difference is only 50% but the pro feels twice as heavy.

If you can live with 120gb of harddrive and don't intend to play games I think the 13' Air is the best computer on the market right now.

If you intend to run bootcamp the hard drive size is really tough to deal with, as Win 7 takes 25gig off the bat.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Any bets on what would happen if I made a genius appointment for the iMac 1TB Seagate Hard Drive Replacement Program, given that the original CPU and GPU in my iMac have changed? Would they say "hey now, this i7 ain't an i5", or just plop in a new HDD? I think everything's in cosmetically fantastic shape.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

All they'll do is probably put in the HD and install the OS and make sure it boots before calling you back.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

MRI will have to be run on the machine first, so if something is amiss they may say something.

E: if everything comes up official Apple, they probably won't say anything.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

Bob Morales posted:

Pro:
'Better' screen
optical drive
Firewire
Gigabit ethernet
Slightly longer battery life
Faster CPU performance (higher base and turbo clocks)
Upgradeable to 16GB RAM
Upgradeable to DUAL hard drives

Air:
Less-glossy screen
Higher-resolution screen
Thinner
Lighter
SSD from the factory
- Can't upgrade RAM, limited SSD upgrades

Many people think for that much of a size increase there should be a quad-core and discrete graphics card. And many people think the Pro should be at least available BTO with the 1440x900 screen.

This should be in the OP. I get asked by friends/family which one to buy all the time.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
I was on my patio the other night and I dropped my late 2010 MBA because I'm a loving idiot. It dropped about 15 feet, with some weight behind it, onto the rain covered concrete. When I picked it up it appeared to be working. Turns out the fan is busted and it's beginning to turn off if I pick it up from particular angles.

I've taken it into a couple of Apple approved service centers and they're saying that I'm looking at about 200 to 250 dollars in repair costs if it's as simple as replacing the fan. If it's worse, who the gently caress knows. I'm hesitant to pay the fee to let them crack it open when the laptop really isn't worth much anymore.

It has a 128 GB SSD and 4GB of ram.

Do you guys think it would be worth fixing?

My birthday and Christmas are rolling around and my parents have offered to help me out with purchasing a new computer. I'm considering trying to sell off the MBA to someone and picking up an MBP with a retina screen.

Beaucoup Cuckoo fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Oct 19, 2012

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

if it's as simple as replacing the fan.

13"? iFixit has one for $40; there are likely more elsewhere. Get an appropriate pentalobe & torx multibit screwdriver set and give it a shot yourself. Even if you fix it and don't want it, it's worth more fully functioning.

Edit: If you go that route, though, be honest to the potential buyer. It will save you from headaches if their system begins powering off mysteriously.

kuskus fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Oct 19, 2012

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
I'll give you $200 for it.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

kuskus posted:

Any bets on what would happen if I made a genius appointment for the iMac 1TB Seagate Hard Drive Replacement Program, given that the original CPU and GPU in my iMac have changed? Would they say "hey now, this i7 ain't an i5", or just plop in a new HDD? I think everything's in cosmetically fantastic shape.
They probably would never notice. And if they did and rejected it, go to an AASP; they'll throw a new drive in and not care about third party whatever. But Apple won't notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10574
Got one of these, it pretty much owns.
OSX it works great, hotswap works. Also, port multiplier works, I have one of those Thermaltake dual BlacX docking bays, it sees both drives.

Bootcamp doesn't work so great - Windows doesn't seem to support Thunderbolt hot swap yet, so the device must be plugged in when your computer turns on. It also only sees one drive.

It's expensive, but, it works well. It's also cast aluminum, and weighs several pounds which is just ridiculous.