Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Ratatozsk posted:

The way we understood the cheese inhibitions was that anything made from pasteurized milk is safe to consume. Just about all cheese you get from the supermarket or get served at a restaurant falls under this classification in the US (including soft cheeses or cheeses with blueing.) If you're getting cheese from a specialty cheese shop (particularly imported stuff), straight from a cheese maker, or at a particularly earthy type eating establishment (lots of emphasis on organics) then I think it's worth checking a little bit closer.

Yeah, this was my understanding as well.

As for the cold cuts thing, you can eat heated sandwiches with deli meat as long as they got hot enough. So like, Subway's version of heating the sandwich isn't sufficient but a lot of paninis and stuff like that are OK, especially if you do them at home and can make sure you get them nice and hot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
We had an infant bath with a sort of hammock that floated on top of it? It was a shower gift and I never would have sought one out, but we ended up really liking that hammock until our baby was too big and squirmy for it. Then we put the baby bath in the bathtub for a little while, then it was straight in the bath.

With my older daughter, we had a bath seat for that stage when she couldn't sit up by herself. It was really handy but I think they took them off the market because of dumbasses leaving their kids in a seat in the bathtub. If you never, ever leave your child out of arms' reach while they are in water or near water, they can be a handy way to get through that stage.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...

Ratatozsk posted:

The way we understood the cheese inhibitions was that anything made from pasteurized milk is safe to consume. Just about all cheese you get from the supermarket or get served at a restaurant falls under this classification in the US (including soft cheeses or cheeses with blueing.) If you're getting cheese from a specialty cheese shop (particularly imported stuff), straight from a cheese maker, or at a particularly earthy type eating establishment (lots of emphasis on organics) then I think it's worth checking a little bit closer.

That's what I thought, too. I was careful when we were cheese shopping in Vermont and at the farmer's market, but that article was the first I'd seen that you had to worry about generic pasteurized-milk brie. Glad to hear that I'm not the only one who understood it to just be raw milk that was worrisome. And glad that we're not planning on any more children. From Nov. 7th on out it's booze and coffee and Stilton all day.

(Clearly I am doomed to give birth to a large Camembert.)

rangergirl
Jun 3, 2004
A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer

hepscat posted:

We had an infant bath with a sort of hammock that floated on top of it? It was a shower gift and I never would have sought one out, but we ended up really liking that hammock until our baby was too big and squirmy for it. Then we put the baby bath in the bathtub for a little while, then it was straight in the bath....

We have the tub with the little hammock in it and I love it, we really only used it for the first 6 weeks but it was very handy. We just put the tub in the bathtub now.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

rangergirl posted:

We have the tub with the little hammock in it and I love it, we really only used it for the first 6 weeks but it was very handy. We just put the tub in the bathtub now.

Same here with the hammock. I think it's made by Summer Infant.

Ben's just turning 11 weeks so we're going to start co-bathing soon. I took baths with my daughter until she was about 2 years old and started at around 3 months.

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!

rangergirl posted:

We have the same baby tub, too. I bathed my oldest in the sink and that was awesome, but Sadie was born in December and our kitchen at this house gets VERY cold, so that was out this time around. Now that she can sit up steadily on her own I bathe them together in the big tub and it's much easier.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Wednesday I'll officially be 8 months. I'm definitely starting to feel like I'm slowing down and I don't have enough hours in the day to do everything. We had our express birth/labor classes this past weekend, next week we tour the birth center, and my husband is going to a meet and greet at a pediatrics office we're looking into. I have work/class during the only time they do tours so he has to go himself. Are there any questions I should send him with that I am probably completely overlooking to ask? It sounds sort of bad, but I feel a bit overwhelmed with everything and as long as they take our insurance and seem nice, that's all I care about. They do have lactation consultants on staff.

I really wish I could get over this overwhelmed feeling. I'm assuming its normal. Counting this whole week, I only have 3 weeks until I'm laid off so i'll have some time off before I'm due, but I'll still have the classes I'm taking. Any tips or suggestions on getting things done/not feeling overwhelmed? I've started lowering my expectations for what I'm going to accomplish in a day and that sort of helps. I've been really bad about "wasting" free time and spending it relaxing and hanging out with my husband than doing things like reading books I told myself I was going to or organizing closets or cooking. :effort:

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
I didn't ask any questions or tour the hospital before I went in for my c-section and I had a perfectly fine experience (to clarify, I was in labor and he was breach so it wasn't planned). Maybe ask about visiting hours and rules for visitors so you can have that information on hand to give to family and friends. Do you know if they let the baby stay in the room with you 24/7? I know it's what most hospitals do now but some are still stuck in the old way of doing things. Honestly if you do think of any questions you can just call them and they'll talk to you.

Don't feel guilty about relaxing. To be honest you still won't get anything done for a few months after the baby's born, but it's definitely not because you're relaxing. Take this last month off for yourself. Enjoy doing whatever you do, or don't want to do.

edit: Oops thought you couldn't make the hospital tour.

Awesome Kristin fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Oct 16, 2012

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
Alterian, ask how hard it is to get a same day appointment. My family doctor specifically leaves open spaces in his schedule for same day sick appointments and if he's booked there are other doctors in the practice I can see too. A friend told me the other day she switched peds because she called about a growth on her daughter that had gone from pencil eraser sized to grape sized over night and her ped office couldnt see her for THREE WEEKS.

Ask about how after hours and weekends work too.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

Alterian posted:

I really wish I could get over this overwhelmed feeling. I'm assuming its normal. Counting this whole week, I only have 3 weeks until I'm laid off so i'll have some time off before I'm due, but I'll still have the classes I'm taking. Any tips or suggestions on getting things done/not feeling overwhelmed? I've started lowering my expectations for what I'm going to accomplish in a day and that sort of helps. I've been really bad about "wasting" free time and spending it relaxing and hanging out with my husband than doing things like reading books I told myself I was going to or organizing closets or cooking. :effort:

God, I could have posted so much of this myself. 36 weeks, so loving tired and slow and immobile. As far as getting stuff done and not feeling overwhelmed, I have a mental list (really should be a written list but that would be effort) of what needs to happen--with huge mental stars all over it for "doesn't actually NEED to happen before the baby is born." Remember, life doesn't stop completely post-baby. When my daughter was born nothing happened as expected; we had to go to a different hospital, we didn't have anywhere set up for her to sleep... It all came out all right in the end--my husband and my mom set up the pack-n-play while I was in the hospital, we all muddled through.

Do what you can now, and remember that very little of it is really crucial. I don't mean that in a defeatist way: you guys will find out how resourceful you can be, and find that you can cope with random surprise screw-ups.

Cathis
Sep 11, 2001

Me in a hotel with a mini-bar. How's that story end?

Andrias Scheuchzeri posted:

God, I could have posted so much of this myself. 36 weeks, so loving tired and slow and immobile.

I'll third this.. also 36 weeks... moving like a cranky, sleepy snail. I'm at the point where I've gone to part-time work (my choice of hours) and that's about what I can do. 4 hours of work, maybe an hour of picking up around the house, and bam, I'm done for the day. I do need to do the same thing as above with the pediatrician though... we have a recommendation for one that takes Tricare from my obgyn but we have to meet the guy. Also I suppose at some point I need to talk to childcare people in the area but I have just been totally unable to get up the energy to do it :/
I also now have nonstress tests twice a week so have to drag my butt to the hospital and pay 12 bucks in parking each time. I keep telling myself I have a maximum of 5 weeks of this left!

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

Bad Munki posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INAxHSn9JPk

This is exactly the sort of stuff I've been looking forward to. :3:

Oh god yes. I don't even start filling the tub, just get the water to the right temp (while Chris stares and babbles at me in baby talk to hurry up) and put him right in front of the stream. Then a minute later I close the drain and let the tub fill.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Whoever suggested letting the baby just baby around in the bottom of the shower, I wanted to say thanks. We tried that this morning and it worked GREAT. I was a little hesitant, Eve seemed like she might not have the patience for it, but instead, she was totally cool and just played with a couple wash cloths while I showered. This is extra good because we've been trying to get more strict about an every-other-day bath schedule, and this will make it much easier to just toss her in there while I shower. Soap her up a little, and by the time I'm done showering, she's good and rinsed.

Proper baths are still fun, but this is what we needed to get a more regular bath schedule going on.

Thanks!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Thanks for the question suggestions. Yeah, there are a couple good ones there I didn't even think about. I might make a list to give to my husband.

I do have a physical to do list written out on a whiteboard we have hanging in our office! If I can work on one a day, not even finish it, but work on it, I guess I'll be happy.

I'm not realizing how big I've gotten. I was getting gas and parked the car to go inside the gas station and there were some chest high concrete pylons along the walkway so you can't drive into the store. I didn't even think about it and tried to go between two and I couldn't even remotely fit. I had to walk around. Whoops.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Alterian posted:

I'm not realizing how big I've gotten. I was getting gas and parked the car to go inside the gas station and there were some chest high concrete pylons along the walkway so you can't drive into the store. I didn't even think about it and tried to go between two and I couldn't even remotely fit. I had to walk around. Whoops.

I kept not pulling my chair out from the table enough, and would hit my stomach on the table pretty much every day.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
I remember being in a Body Works store and turning sideways to get past someone - then watching stupidly as my belly knocked all the bottles off the shelf. It's a weird feeling knowing you're less wide facing forward.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

That was pretty much my problem. It was a gas station I usually go to, but I don't go inside most of the time (I was buying a snack). I usually fit between the concrete barriers by turning sideways. Nope.

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

I knocked over my toddler on more than one occasion with my huge pregnant belly. That thing had a blind spot, man.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

Yeah, same here. I took a shower with my daughter today--not our usual thing--and it was pretty tricky getting around one another without me bludgeoning her with my belly.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
For the last 4 months of my pregnancy I had a pair of salad tongs on the dryer, so I could reach all the way to the bottom of the washer. My belly meant I couldn't get all the clothes out of the washer. I also had to wear a apron while washing dishes because I'd pour water all over my gut.

Cathis
Sep 11, 2001

Me in a hotel with a mini-bar. How's that story end?
I keep knocking around dirty dishes on the counter with my belly when I go for the sugar in the mornings or for a cup out of that cupboard :) Also, no matter how many times i try, I can't scoot a cart past my belly in line at the grocery store anymore...

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

So, I feel I might be jumping the gun posting here, since I haven't been to my doctor yet to confirm this, but I may be pregnant!

Took a pregnancy test about a week ago because I wanted to enjoy my bday knowing I wasn't pregnant (wanted to go to my favorite bar!), since I just went off the pill in September. I wasn't really thinking I would be...I just went off the pill after all! Took a digital test, Not pregnant. Sweet! Bday time! :toot:

Well, my period was due this past week. I've always been a little late, and I wasn't sure how things would be after being on the pill for the last 4 years or so. Not so surprising. I figured by now though I'd take another pregnancy test, since I bought a whole bunch since I wanted to try to get pregnant sometime within this next year hopefully. Figured I'd need a bunch.

Took a non-digital... got a positive result. About 4 hours later I took another, a digital. "Pregnant"

I'm super excited, and nervous and worried and all that good stuff all at once. I still find it hard to believe though...especially since we only had sex twice between getting off the pill and this past week. :blush:
We'll see what the doctor says on Friday, or if I get my period before then.

What are the chances of getting false positive like that? Especially after taking two tests of different brands/types?

Anemone
Dec 28, 2008

piak piak
I have a program I wrote to help mothers pump and gain supply.

EDIT: Links no longer work, sorry.

Anemone fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Mar 22, 2016

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Greycious posted:

What are the chances of getting false positive like that? Especially after taking two tests of different brands/types?

False positives are incredibly rare. Two different brands both say positive - you're pregnant.

Lucha Luch
Feb 25, 2007

Mr. Squeakers coming off the top rope!
Well, I'm 18 weeks now, and last night was the first night since this pregnancy started that I didn't wake up to go to the bathroom ONCE! I don't think I've ever felt this rested. Holy poo poo.

I think I've started feeling the baby move, but I'm not entirely sure. Little flutters I can barely notice when I lie down to go to sleep. It makes me feel weird when people ask me if I can feel the baby yet because I'm not sure if I can, or if I'm just super gassy. Surely it gets more distinguishable as time goes on?

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

Dandy Shrew posted:

Well, I'm 18 weeks now, and last night was the first night since this pregnancy started that I didn't wake up to go to the bathroom ONCE! I don't think I've ever felt this rested. Holy poo poo.

I think I've started feeling the baby move, but I'm not entirely sure. Little flutters I can barely notice when I lie down to go to sleep. It makes me feel weird when people ask me if I can feel the baby yet because I'm not sure if I can, or if I'm just super gassy. Surely it gets more distinguishable as time goes on?

It definitely becomes more distinguishable, and once I started feeling even little barely-there movements, I started to feel them more and more and they got stronger pretty quickly. After awhile there's really no mistaking the kicks and rolls for gas :)

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
When I first started feeling the baby move I wasn't sure either. After it happened more I was certain about what I felt before. I described it as feeling like little bubbles popping in my stomach.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
Last monday was 40 weeks for me and my wife. Our doctor doesn't want to go past 41 weeks. So she scheduled an induction date for Monday evening. I asked what she would use to induce and she said she would use a prostaglandin gel on the cervix.

At our last doctors appointment (40 weeks and 1 day) my wife was measuring almost 3 cm dilated. She has been having contractions but they always stop and go away.

We have a friend who is also a doula and she will be with us at the labor and delivery. The doula just asked us if we would consider some natural induction methods. We haven't looked into these at all yet.

I guess my question is have any of you had to deal with induction? Natural or other methods?

The only one we've really discussed at any length with our doctor previously is pitocin which we were hoping to avoid all together. We are also going in with the idea of trying to have a natural (no epidural) birth, but keeping all options open.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Semen and nipple play. Seriously! http://www.babymed.com/childbirth-class/does-sex-cause-labor

I haven't tried it myself since I'm just about to hit 36 weeks on my first pregnancy.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
Also lots of walking and bouncing on a yoga ball to engage baby's head.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Why does he want to induce? Does she have complicating medical factors such as high BP or gestational diabetes? If she's dilating and contracting naturally, I'd hesitate to medically induce without medical necessity.

(Ask me about my medically necessary induction that ended in a c-section!)

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

Awesome Kristin posted:

Also lots of walking and bouncing on a yoga ball to engage baby's head.

If only things like "drink a cup of hot chocolate and take a nap" or "put your feet up and watch some old movies" worked.

I ended up having pitocin and then a C-section, but that was a very different situation (water broke, dilated barely 1cm, labor wasn't progressing) so I don't think my experience is much use to you guys. :shobon:

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002

Chickalicious posted:

(Ask me about my medically necessary induction that ended in a c-section!)

Are you saying "medically necessary" in qoutes?

To answer your question though it's a very vanilla pregnancy. No complications. The doctor quoted ACOG saying they recommend not going past 41 weeks after I had asked her for the 3rd time why we couldn't wait til 41.5 weeks. I just feel the doctor wants it on a Monday for her schedule. She said if we don't go for the induction we'd have to go to the hospital twice a week for monitoring.

I see why people use midwives.

Hdip fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Oct 19, 2012

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Hdip posted:

To answer your question though it's a very vanilla pregnancy. No complications. The doctor quoted ACOG saying they recommend not going past 41 weeks after I had asked her for the 3rd time why we couldn't wait til 41.5 weeks. I just feel the doctor wants it on a Monday for her schedule. She said if we don't go for the induction we'd have to go to the hospital twice a week for monitoring.

Just so you know, your wife has the right to say no if she's not comfortable with inducing.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Hdip posted:

No, mine really was medically necessary (I had both GD and hypertension at the end of my pregnancy) and it still ended with a c-section. I put it off for as long as long as I could, and sure enough, the induction failed and my BP was rising even with medication to try to keep it down. I was 40w4d and my ob had initially offered an induction at 38 weeks! Based on my experience, I wouldn't consent to an induction unless there was a legitimate problem to point at.

She is allowed to refuse the induction and choose the monitoring. Poor precious doctor's schedule. :P

SassySally
Dec 11, 2010
I went into labor naturally at 40w6d and ended up getting pitocin, iv pain relievers, an epidural, and a c-section- all things I did not want at the start. (I think I mentioned the reason in my post about his birth, but he was sunny-side up.) Ben and I both turned out fine and our only breastfeeding problems have come from him being tongue-tied.

Pumping question- I'm still at home, but I'm trying to start pumping to build up a supply for when I do leave and go back to work. How do I work in the pumping while still feeding him every time he wants to eat?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

Hdip posted:

Last monday was 40 weeks for me and my wife. Our doctor doesn't want to go past 41 weeks. So she scheduled an induction date for Monday evening. I asked what she would use to induce and she said she would use a prostaglandin gel on the cervix.

At our last doctors appointment (40 weeks and 1 day) my wife was measuring almost 3 cm dilated. She has been having contractions but they always stop and go away.

We have a friend who is also a doula and she will be with us at the labor and delivery. The doula just asked us if we would consider some natural induction methods. We haven't looked into these at all yet.

I guess my question is have any of you had to deal with induction? Natural or other methods?

The only one we've really discussed at any length with our doctor previously is pitocin which we were hoping to avoid all together. We are also going in with the idea of trying to have a natural (no epidural) birth, but keeping all options open.

The average length of pregnancy for first-time white mothers is 41 weeks 1 day (Obstet Gynecol 1990;75(6):929-32), and most researchers believe it's the same for other ethnicities. That means many women go past that 41.1 time frame.

Before you let your doctor induce, ask for the Bishiop's Score to get a better idea of how successful induction is likely to be:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bishop_score

e:

Alterian posted:

Semen and nipple play. Seriously! http://www.babymed.com/childbirth-class/does-sex-cause-labor

I haven't tried it myself since I'm just about to hit 36 weeks on my first pregnancy.

Also orgasm because it releases all of those good hormones in your body. I think swallowing semen is supposed to be even more effective than just unprotected sex because you retain more of the hormones that way as well.

Papercut fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Oct 19, 2012

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful

Hdip posted:

She said if we don't go for the induction we'd have to go to the hospital twice a week for monitoring.

That sounds like she's giving you guys the choice. I'd take the monitoring if that's what you'd rather!

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

SassySally posted:

Ben and I both turned out fine and our only breastfeeding problems have come from him being tongue-tied.

Pumping question- I'm still at home, but I'm trying to start pumping to build up a supply for when I do leave and go back to work. How do I work in the pumping while still feeding him every time he wants to eat?

With my oldest son I had to go back to work after month 3, so I pumped one breast while he was on the other, then switched. Your body will compensate for the double drain and make more, just like if you had twins!

As for induction, having done it induced and not-induced I personally didn't notice that big a difference other than induced labor coming faster and more regular. I've never really understood the dislike for inducing, you have to push the sprout out either way, so what's wrong with speeding it up a bit? As a mother of 4 I've decided natural is good, but not waking up at 3 am to drive to the hospital for a false start is better.

Stairs fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Stairs posted:

As for induction, having done it induced and not-induced I personally didn't notice that big a difference other than induced labor coming faster and more regular. I've never really understood the dislike for inducing, you have to push the sprout out either way, so what's wrong with speeding it up a bit? As a mother of 4 I've decided natural is good, but not waking up at 3 am to drive to the hospital for a false start is better.

I've heard women say induced labor can be more intense and painful too, so it depends on the person. I'd prefer not to if I could, though I'd do it if medically necessary.

I was 9 days overdue with my son (11 days in American terms because you're not due until 40 weeks 2 days here) and labor started the same day I had sex in the morning ;) Worth a try!