Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Guinness posted:

Haha, you think they stop once you buy a car from them.

Indeed, the dealer I bought my MS3 from still tries to call me repeatedly. Thank god for Google Voice and the ability to block that number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrpeaches
Jan 12, 2005

AznKwaiJai posted:

Proposed Budget: < $20,000ish.
New or Used: Either.
Body Style: Either 2 or 4 depending on "trunk" space of the hatchback.
How will you be using the car?: This is a commuter car.
What aspects are most important to you? I am looking for a hatchback with good amount of "trunk" space. Or whatever you call that space in a back of a hatchback. If the space can be adjusted by having the rear seats removed is a definite plus. Manual transmission. Power windows and power locks.

My goal is to have a music enthusiast commuter. I am planning to install audio and visual enhancements to the car.

Already looking at

Subaru Impreza
Volkswagen Golf
Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback

sub-consciously adverse to Honda Fit and Toyota Matrix.

I bought a base model manual trans 2012 Ford Focus hatch and have upgraded the stereo myself as well. There is a double DIN kit available from Metra but it's a tad pricey and the buttons they provide in the kit have different colored LEDs than the rest of the stock buttons which irritates me.

The back seats fold down flat for plenty of room in the hatch. It's a solid car, I'd recommend test driving one.

The one downside of the Focus as compared to something like the Mazda 3 is that I'm pretty sure that the new Mazda 3 with the skyactiv engine has a 6-speed manual while the Focus is a regular 5-speed. It doesn't bother me much, but sometimes on the highway I would like a higher gear. I'm at about ~2750 RPM at ~70 MPH. I get ~32MPG in mixed city/highway driving.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Body kit, Roush exhaust, Saleen suspension, CAI, chip. Owner is an old Persian guy who drove it to work in summers (though who knows what his kids were up to). Good condition, but there was some creaking in the suspension that I need to check out.

Stay away. Too many unknowns for you take the risk for such a common car. Surely there is a similar year mileage option without the risk.

That's my opinion anyway, if you're going into it prepared then more power to you.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

Xguard86 posted:

Stay away. Too many unknowns for you take the risk for such a common car. Surely there is a similar year mileage option without the risk.

That's my opinion anyway, if you're going into it prepared then more power to you.

I did some soul-searching and backed off from it today. Gonna keep looking.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Welp, I walked out of work to a flat tire. Then I bent my tire iron and rounded off a lug nut trying to get the flat off. I had a friend drive to get an air compressor to blow up the flat long enough to limp it home. Shop opens tomorrow at 7AM, so I'll have to wait until morning to find out if the noise that I think is a huge exhaust leak will be fixable or at least fine to drive on.

This is why I want a different car. I need to drive 2 hours to a bike race this weekend, and now I have no idea if I'm going to make it or not, and this has happened too many times already. I've already had to cancel races last summer when those wheel bearings and tie rods went bad. This car has ruined too many weekends and I'm angry about it.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

RadioPassive posted:

Welp, I walked out of work to a flat tire. Then I bent my tire iron and rounded off a lug nut trying to get the flat off. I had a friend drive to get an air compressor to blow up the flat long enough to limp it home. Shop opens tomorrow at 7AM, so I'll have to wait until morning to find out if the noise that I think is a huge exhaust leak will be fixable or at least fine to drive on.

This is why I want a different car. I need to drive 2 hours to a bike race this weekend, and now I have no idea if I'm going to make it or not, and this has happened too many times already. I've already had to cancel races last summer when those wheel bearings and tie rods went bad. This car has ruined too many weekends and I'm angry about it.

Get a new car :colbert:

You've worked yourself to the point that you're not really going to be happy with anything else no matter what. Just get the loan or whatever and take a leap!

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

RadioPassive posted:

If you don't like your car, want to get a new car, and can get a car without losing your emergency fund and eating cat food, you can get a new car.

The winners you're looking for in the used around $8-10k range will be Focuses, Mazda 3s, Chevy Cobalts, and Civics or Corollas but those generally cost more.

I don't know how much Hyundai Elantras have depreciated but one of those past 2006-ish should be ok.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Guinness posted:

I'm also going to agree and reiterate this.

There is nothing wrong with buying a 'nice' car, whether it is new or used. There are many reasons people choose to buy cars, and different people get different enjoyment out of the type of car they choose to drive. If you can afford to drive a nice car that is luxurious, high tech, fast, flashy, convertible, or whatever and that is what you will get enjoyment out of, then do it! If everyone bought cars based purely on practicality, fuel efficiency, and reliability then the car market would be terribly, terribly boring and many carmakers simply wouldn't exist.

THAT SAID, don't try to justify it as a financially sound decision. It is not, and never will be. If you want to get a new car because you just want something new and nice, that's fine, just admit it! As long as you can actually afford it, by all means go for it! There are plenty of examples in this thread of someone who said they are looking to spend 30-50k on a new car and no one started yelling about how dumb of a financial decision it was because they were honest about what they wanted and could afford.

But if you, like so many posters in this thread, claim that above all you just want a simple, cheap, and efficient transportation appliance and then try to rationalize dumping your perfectly reasonable early-mid 2000s car with a few minor, easily-fixed problems for a brand new car as a move that will save you money: it won't, and we will call you out on it.
This logic doesn't work as well as it used to.
The used car market is extremely hot. The new car market is less so. For nearly new cars with little deprecation (say a Honda Fit), the prices can be extremely close. Factor that with the obscenely low APRs being offered on many new cars and it can make sense to buy a new car over an old one, particularly if you're financing.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Just heard back from the shop. It's not an exhaust leak, turns out the engine mounts are broken. ~$350 parts and labor for that, plus I'm having them replace the front brake rotors and pads because I'm sure they've got less than 5000 miles left in them.

It's going to cost pretty much exactly what I expected, so I'm going to do exactly what I planned: Get this fixed now and keep driving it, and keep an eye out for something to replace it some time inside of 6-12 months.

Thanks for the help, guys.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

I did some soul-searching and backed off from it today. Gonna keep looking.

Good call. You can always mod it yourself if you get the bug.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

RadioPassive posted:

Just heard back from the shop. It's not an exhaust leak, turns out the engine mounts are broken. ~$350 parts and labor for that, plus I'm having them replace the front brake rotors and pads because I'm sure they've got less than 5000 miles left in them.

It's going to cost pretty much exactly what I expected, so I'm going to do exactly what I planned: Get this fixed now and keep driving it, and keep an eye out for something to replace it some time inside of 6-12 months.

Thanks for the help, guys.

It sounds like everything you are replacing are things that wear around and need to be replaced after a decade of hard life. I really think if you ride out this chunk of maintenance and repairs then you'll have years to come without stuff constantly going wrong.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

RadioPassive posted:

Proposed Budget: $8,000 I guess? Boy I wish I didn't have to borrow money for this.

RadioPassive posted:

I'm actually really mechanically inclined and completely not intimidated about doing my own repairs, I just don't want to spend the time. At all. At this point in my life, it's worth it to me to pay money to a mechanic rather than pay time to my car, but of course I'd rather not have to do either.

I don't think these two things go together. If you have to borrow money to replace your car, then it sounds to me like saving hundreds of dollars on each repair would actually be well worth your time.

Depending on the car (and I haven't done it on a focus) replacing a rotor might take you an hour if you're really hesitant and slow about it. Just as an example.

Stuff like engine mounts and exhaust work, sure, have a pro do it. But I bet if you pick up a shop manual and look up each repair, you'd find that it's well worth three hours on a Saturday to avoid a $500 bill now and again.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Leperflesh posted:

Depending on the car (and I haven't done it on a focus) replacing a rotor might take you an hour if you're really hesitant and slow about it. Just as an example.

I have done brake rotors on a Focus and they are very easy, and I'm far from a mechanic.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

I don't know what to tell you; You're absolutely right.

I still don't feel like working on a car right now. And I will still pay handsomely for the privilege not to.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere
Does anybody have a personal recommendation for a car shipping company? I've got to ship two cars across the country, and I'm really not looking forward to it, with the car shipping industry's well-deserved lovely reputation.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Costello Jello posted:

Does anybody have a personal recommendation for a car shipping company? I've got to ship two cars across the country, and I'm really not looking forward to it, with the car shipping industry's well-deserved lovely reputation.

LloydDobler said this to me:
"I used Demoise Trk-ing as they were recommended over on Swedespeed, by guys hauling S60Rs around. There were 3 companies recommended in a specific thread, and these guys were the lowest cost of the 3. I paid $1300 to get it from Roanoke VA to Denver CO, about 1500 miles or so. The other guys quoted $1500."

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
My search for an around-town car for $5k turned up a couple things, need some opinions before I arrange to see either. My car needs are reliability and fuel economy over speed by the way.

2003 Mitsubishi Lancer OZ-Rally - 104k miles - $5,600

2002 Chrysler Sebring Lxi - 105k mi - $3,000

I'm leaning toward the Lancer based on what research I've done, but I don't know what to expect with either car.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
In my neverending quest to buy a car (maybe I just fukken love rentals) I've thought of making An Adult Decision. Rather than piss away my next 4 years on a car loan, I should get a winter beater now - with cash. There are two that I'm eyeing:

2002 Impreza 2.5TS, 160k (km), manual, $4000 CDN. I could use it to learn stick and gradually turn it into a rally car!

2001 Impreza RS coupe, 115k (km), auto, $4000. Also rally car candidate, though no stick, it would probably be a bit more liveable.

To recap from earlier: lawyer, driving 80 - 200km/day, replacing a Lexus and was hoping for something a bit smaller and city-friendly but super-fun.

CmdrSmirnoff fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Oct 20, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Saint Sputnik posted:

My search for an around-town car for $5k turned up a couple things, need some opinions before I arrange to see either. My car needs are reliability and fuel economy over speed by the way.

2003 Mitsubishi Lancer OZ-Rally - 104k miles - $5,600

2002 Chrysler Sebring Lxi - 105k mi - $3,000

I'm leaning toward the Lancer based on what research I've done, but I don't know what to expect with either car.

Pass on both. OZ-Rally is just a F&F gofast appearance package, and the Sebring is pretty terrible.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

In my neverending quest to buy a car (maybe I just fukken love rentals) I've thought of making An Adult Decision. Rather than piss away my next 4 years on a car loan, I should get a winter beater now - with cash. There are two that I'm eyeing:

2002 Impreza 2.5TS, 160k (km), manual, $4000 CDN. I could use it to learn stick and gradually turn it into a rally car!

2001 Impreza RS coupe, 115k (km), auto, $4000. Also rally car candidate, though no stick, it would probably be a bit more liveable.

To recap from earlier: lawyer, driving 80 - 200km/day, replacing a Lexus and was hoping for something a bit smaller and city-friendly but super-fun.
The rs coupe will do a better job retaining value.
The ts will likely do a better job repelling rust.
Worth checking both for rust.
I think the rs has an rlsd, but don't quote me on that.

Edit: just noticed the rs was an auto. Get the TS. 4 speed auto is boring as hell. The awd system is also different and less good.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Can someone help me estimate the difference in total cost of ownership between buying a new 2013 Mustang V6 Premium vs a 2012 GT Premium that has 7000 miles on it? Price before TTL is the same on both cars, between $23k and $24k. The new car has an MSRP of $28k, and the 2012 an MSRP of $35k.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Screw TCO, you want the five-oh.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

nm posted:

Screw TCO, you want the five-oh.

I want the 5.0, but this is supposed to be my big comfortable soft car, I'm keeping the Miata for a fun car. I'll be driving at least 30 miles in stop and go every day in this car, and intending to use it on road trips. I'm trying to justify the higher fuel, insurance, and tire costs by telling myself I let someone else eat the 1st year depreciation.

I really just want an excuse to grow a mullet and drive around revving at things that have LS3s in them.

I'm going to be keeping this car for 8 years at least. Will the GT hold its value on that time scale, or won't both be worth very little then? Part of me worries that gas will be $9 and I'll be sitting on something that does 15 MPG in the city.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Oct 20, 2012

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Pass on both. OZ-Rally is just a F&F gofast appearance package, and the Sebring is pretty terrible.

Thanks. I gathered as much about the OZ, but wasn't planning on racing it for slips anyway. How is it aside from that?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Weinertron posted:

I want the 5.0, but this is supposed to be my big comfortable soft car, I'm keeping the Miata for a fun car. I'll be driving at least 30 miles in stop and go every day in this car, and intending to use it on road trips. I'm trying to justify the higher fuel, insurance, and tire costs by telling myself I let someone else eat the 1st year depreciation.

I really just want an excuse to grow a mullet and drive around revving at things that have LS3s in them.

I'm going to be keeping this car for 8 years at least. Will the GT hold its value on that time scale, or won't both be worth very little then? Part of me worries that gas will be $9 and I'll be sitting on something that does 15 MPG in the city.

The V6 is plenty powerful if you already have another "fun car" anyway. The 2013 V6 is more powerful than the 2010 GT already. Crunch the numbers based on how far you intend to drive in stop-and-go and see what the break-even point is based on the relative fuel economies, and then decide which one you want.

I drive a 2011 V6 and I don't think I've ever seriously thought, "this needs more power." It would be fun it if did, I suppose, but the V6 already makes enough power that you have to be careful not to break the law or do stupid poo poo with it.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

PT6A posted:

The V6 is plenty powerful if you already have another "fun car" anyway. The 2013 V6 is more powerful than the 2010 GT already. Crunch the numbers based on how far you intend to drive in stop-and-go and see what the break-even point is based on the relative fuel economies, and then decide which one you want.

I drive a 2011 V6 and I don't think I've ever seriously thought, "this needs more power." It would be fun it if did, I suppose, but the V6 already makes enough power that you have to be careful not to break the law or do stupid poo poo with it.

My understand has been that the fuel economy difference in V6 vs V8 muscle cars isn't that huge, I have a friend with a 2009 Bullit who has proven to me that it can do 27 MPG highway and ~22 in mixed driving.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So I'm footsteps away from selling 2 of the 4 cars I was looking to dump so it's reasonable for me to pick up a new DD. Protoge's were highly recommended before when I was looking for the girlfriend and I've been fond of them for a while. Several Protoge5's have popped up locally, all for under $4K so I ask, other than potential rust issues as pointed out by Sockington should I look for anything in particular when checking them out?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Rhyno posted:

So I'm footsteps away from selling 2 of the 4 cars I was looking to dump so it's reasonable for me to pick up a new DD. Protoge's were highly recommended before when I was looking for the girlfriend and I've been fond of them for a while. Several Protoge5's have popped up locally, all for under $4K so I ask, other than potential rust issues as pointed out by Sockington should I look for anything in particular when checking them out?

If it is an auto, I've heard grumblings about that.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
So I may be moving back to a city and getting a real job again after I finish my graduate degree, and here's what I'm thinking of getting so I can return the Ford Escort I've been borrowing to its rightful owner. Assuming this job thing happens, of course, and I don't foolishly sign up for 5 more years of graduate school.

Proposed Budget:

Under US$20,000, ideally around $18,000 or less

New or Used:

Either new or late-model (2009+) used

Body Style: (e.g. 2 door? 4 door? Compact/Midsize/Fullsize Sedan? Truck? SUV?)

5-door hatchback would be my top choice, almost certainly compact.

How will you be using the car?: (Do you tow things? Haul more than 5 people on a regular basis? Have a super long commute? How are you going to use this vehicle?

Living in a city, almost certainly street parking. Daily commute to the suburbs most likely (20 miles or less, I hope), road trips of 1-6 hours each way every few weeks carrying a few people, camping and sports equipment, miscellaneous crap, etc.

Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?)

Not all the gizmos, but being able to hook up iPods and other devices, and getting good radio reception, are important for long drives

What aspects are most important to you? (e.g. reliability, cost of ownership/maintenance, import/domestic, MPG, size, style)

Miles per gallon, manual transmission (I feel really uncomfortable driving automatic for some reason), reliability, small enough to park comfortably in a city but large enough to haul a decent amount of stuff.

I'm thinking a Honda Fit might be the best choice. Ford Focus looks good but is a bit out of my price range, and Ford Fiesta seems a little too small. I know the Nissan Versa is cheap, but it screams "uncool" to me and I don't think I'd enjoy driving it. VW Golfs are cool, but everything I've heard makes them seem overpriced and unreliable. Maybe a low-mileage used Mazda3 would be a good option too? Or a Chevy Sonic?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

nm posted:

If it is an auto, I've heard grumblings about that.

It's a 5-speed, relatively low miles for a 2002. It's also yellow which might be a deal breaker.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Weinertron posted:

My understand has been that the fuel economy difference in V6 vs V8 muscle cars isn't that huge, I have a friend with a 2009 Bullit who has proven to me that it can do 27 MPG highway and ~22 in mixed driving.

I've got ~36 MPG highway out of the V6 when I'm careful about it, and I routinely get 22-24MPG in the city while driving the piss out of it, and basically driving in the exact opposite way you would if you care about fuel economy.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I have a 2003 automatic Protege5. I bought it a year and three months ago with 49k mi on the clock and have driven it up to 70k now. I can answer any specific questions you might have, look things up in the service manual, etc. Send me a PM or email me at my username at gmail.com.

renzor
Jul 28, 2004

...I still get the ham, right? Good.
I'm in the process of selling my 07 GTI in order to get something with a bit better MPG and have a bit of cash to sit in the bank as I decided to return to university this past September.

My budget is 5-6k (Canada). I'm currently eyeing a couple 01-03 TDIs, as they seem to meet my need of being small and efficient on fuel. I'm 6'4", have a giant dog, and like to take off on the weekends during the summer so something that has a fairly large cabin and won't blow up climbing BC highways is a plus.

Any others I should be looking at that are comparable?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

renzor posted:

I'm in the process of selling my 07 GTI in order to get something with a bit better MPG and have a bit of cash to sit in the bank as I decided to return to university this past September.

My budget is 5-6k (Canada). I'm currently eyeing a couple 01-03 TDIs, as they seem to meet my need of being small and efficient on fuel. I'm 6'4", have a giant dog, and like to take off on the weekends during the summer so something that has a fairly large cabin and won't blow up climbing BC highways is a plus.

Honestly, a MKIV VW isn't going to save you any money over a 2007 GTI.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

renzor posted:

How many miles do you drive a year and what's your actual fuel usage with the Mk. 5?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Apollodorus posted:

I'm thinking a Honda Fit might be the best choice. Ford Focus looks good but is a bit out of my price range, and Ford Fiesta seems a little too small. I know the Nissan Versa is cheap, but it screams "uncool" to me and I don't think I'd enjoy driving it. VW Golfs are cool, but everything I've heard makes them seem overpriced and unreliable. Maybe a low-mileage used Mazda3 would be a good option too? Or a Chevy Sonic?

Fit, Sonic and Fiesta is what I would consider in this segment. The Focus hatch is 19,6 and you should be able to roll in under that, though Ford doesn't discount as heavily as they once did.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Proposed Budget: $8k-$25k

New or Used: Used, probably recent

Body Style: 4 door, midsize. I am open to going smaller or maybe even a bit larger.

How will you be using the car?: I will use it to drive places. Literally. Long, long road trips once or twice per year, short drives daily. It will often be just me in it, but I would like to be able to seat 4 people comfortably with a fifth kind of comfortably.

I plan on owning and maintaining it for a long time.

Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? I don't care. More features is always a plus, but there's nothing I prioritize that couldn't be added in easily after buying it.

What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, MPG. With respect to MPG, it doesn't have to be the absolute best.

I was looking at something like a 2010 Hyundai Sonata. There's nothing too worthwhile in that department available near me, so I should likely look at other similar cars. I'm pretty lost on what to buy.

I'm looking to spend on the lower end of my budget, ideally $15k tops, while still getting something with decent gas mileage and reliability. $25k is the budget though, and if there's something new that really fits my criteria I'd be open to it.

edit: I drive a 1989 BMW 525i with 220k miles on it right now. It has a thousand problems and needs more work than it's worth to me. Especially after it was keyed twice. It's also way too tight of a fit for me. Super awkward at 6'1. Never had that problem in a more recent car, though, because I'm not fat or freakishly proportioned.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 21, 2012

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Khorne posted:

Proposed Budget: $8k-$25k

New or Used: Used, probably recent

Body Style: 4 door, midsize. I am open to going smaller or maybe even a bit larger.

How will you be using the car?: I will use it to drive places. Literally. Long, long road trips once or twice per year, short drives daily. It will often be just me in it, but I would like to be able to seat 4 people comfortably with a fifth kind of comfortably.

I plan on owning and maintaining it for a long time.

Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? I don't care. More features is always a plus, but there's nothing I prioritize that couldn't be added in easily after buying it.

What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, MPG, probably an automatic. With respect to MPG, it doesn't have to be the absolute best.

I was looking at something like a 2010 Hyundai Sonata. There's nothing too worthwhile in that department available near me, so I should likely look at other similar cars. I'm pretty lost on what to buy.

I'm looking to spend on the lower end of my budget, ideally $15k tops, while still getting something with decent gas mileage and reliability. $25k is the budget though, and if there's something new that really fits my criteria I'd be open to it.

Hyundai Sonata = Amazing Warranty
Mazda 3 = What you are looking for + fun to drive if you get a stick
Ford Fiesta = Same as above
KIA Soul = Quirky but fits your criteria. There are three used ones locally for under $18K each.
Toyota Corolla (BORING)
You could easily fund a used new Focus in your budget as well and those are wonderful cars.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Going to go against Rhyno's grain and nix both the Fiesta and the Soul, since you can't really fit four fullsize adults in those.

If you're looking at midsizers, the Camry, Fusion and Accord are also good choices.

The late model used car market is kind of hosed right now so it might be worth it to look for MY2012 cars since you can probably get well below invoice on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Going to go against Rhyno's grain and nix both the Fiesta and the Soul, since you can't really fit four fullsize adults in those.

If you're looking at midsizers, the Camry, Fusion and Accord are also good choices.

The late model used car market is kind of hosed right now so it might be worth it to look for MY2012 cars since you can probably get well below invoice on them.

Jeremy Clarkson fit 3 Royal Marines into a Fiesta.