Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Whoever said there's tons of ammo, at least in Professional, in Chris's campaign is a drat dirty liar. I've been playing couch co-op watching every shot possible and I've had pretty much no ammo to spare, ever.

Compared to Leon's, where I was walking around with a full inventory armed like the Doom marine, I can't understand why people keep saying Chris's campaign is the one that's more action.

I know I said this to an effect earlier but I'm enjoying how guns are drat near secondary backup weapons in RE6, even though I think it's hilariously wrong for the genre. If anything I'd currently give RE6 this one line review:

Resident Evil 6
8.5/10 - Capcom finally understands how to make an over the shoulder Final Fight game. It was an odd choice to include Resident Evil characters, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
It's the original PSX version.

IIRC, the RE remake and RE0 are both very deliberately designed for the GameCube and would be prohibitively difficult to port to another system, which is why it hasn't been done yet.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Blazing Ownager posted:

Whoever said there's tons of ammo, at least in Professional, in Chris's campaign is a drat dirty liar. I've been playing couch co-op watching every shot possible and I've had pretty much no ammo to spare, ever.

If you've only played online co-op/singleplayer or only played splitscreen co-op then you'll have a very one-sided view of the game. Online, each item that appears can be picked up by both players (each player gets their own instance of the item) but you can't pass ammo or herbs to the other player even if you wanted to. Offline, every item can only be picked up by one person so you've effectively only got half as much ammo between the two of you.

AshTheZombie
Apr 17, 2003
Undead

Wanderer posted:

It's the original PSX version.

IIRC, the RE remake and RE0 are both very deliberately designed for the GameCube and would be prohibitively difficult to port to another system, which is why it hasn't been done yet.

I think the biggest issue is the aspect ratio of the pre-rendered backgrounds. They would have to go back to their sources and re-render in widescreen. Still, very playable in 4:3 on emulators. The character models hold up quite well.

Resolution is a bit low, on my laptop at the moment.

AshTheZombie fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Oct 17, 2012

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Beat Chris' campaign. I feel like that final part of Chapter 5 was a taste of what Metal Gear Rising is gonna be like :v:

I don't want to play Jake's now, do I? I enjoyed Chris' about 100% more than Leon's. Will playing Jake's just drag that down?

If you like silly action movies you'll like Jake's campaign.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Jake's end boss is the best thing in the whole game. Jake rules and I hope RE7 is just "Jake Wesker: Zombie Puncher"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blazing Ownager posted:

Compared to Leon's, where I was walking around with a full inventory armed like the Doom marine, I can't understand why people keep saying Chris's campaign is the one that's more action.

I know I said this to an effect earlier but I'm enjoying how guns are drat near secondary backup weapons in RE6, even though I think it's hilariously wrong for the genre. If anything I'd currently give RE6 this one line review:

Resident Evil 6
8.5/10 - Capcom finally understands how to make an over the shoulder Final Fight game. It was an odd choice to include Resident Evil characters, though.

Guns have been basically secondary weapons since RE4. I really enjoy it actually, it gives the games a distinct feel.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Alright, finished the entire main game, now I'm enjoying Mercenaries with my fully unlocked roster. (Well, it's missing Carla, to be honest - but I don't really care :v)

Just managed to get my first "150 kills in a duo round with over a minute left"!. :woop:
I'm loving this game. The only parts where I just felt like punching the entire Capcom staff were the Driving Section of Chris - 3, Jake - 2, Leon - 3 and Ada - 4.

I loved the rest of the game completely. Jake's chapters were so much fun.

Are my spoilers really spoilers at this point? Marked it just to be sure.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

Crowetron posted:

Jake's end boss is the best thing in the whole game. Jake rules and I hope RE7 is just "Jake Wesker: Zombie Puncher"

The end scene of his campaign is just about as goony as anything ever. *Smug text to girl, puts on shades, rides off on motorbike*

Thievery fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Oct 17, 2012

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Thievery posted:

The end scene of his campaign is just about as goony as anything ever. *Smug text to girl, puts on shades, rides off on motorbike*

He was riding off to join Barry and Billy for a drink. SHUT UP I WANT TO BELIEVE CAPCOM HASN'T FORGOTTEN THEM!

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Barry was in action and headbutting his way to glory in RE5 Mercenaries Reunion.

I think he's retired as far as the story goes though.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Len posted:

He was riding off to join Barry and Billy for a drink. SHUT UP I WANT TO BELIEVE CAPCOM HASN'T FORGOTTEN THEM!

They were pretty lonesome in the Obscurity Bar, after all. Another drinking buddy would be pretty welcome!

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Thievery posted:

That was the perfect follow up to his horrible butt rock credits song.

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

Jimbot posted:

They were pretty lonesome in the Obscurity Bar, after all. Another drinking buddy would be pretty welcome!

What, Rebecca and Carlos aren't enough company for them? I guess you could throw Claire in that group nowadays too.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Paul Revere 3000 posted:

What, Rebecca and Carlos aren't enough company for them? I guess you could throw Claire in that group nowadays too.

The more the merrier.

The drinks are on Elza :smug:

Bloomington
Apr 20, 2010

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Waaaaaaait a minute, what the gently caress :stare:

Why did I just inject myself with the virus to battle the B.O.W.? Hahahah
It was at that moment that I knew I made the right decision by playing Piers.

In It For The Tank posted:

Play as Jake and melee everything.
More like, play as Chris and melee everything. :getin:

Blazing Ownager posted:

Resident Evil 6
I would absolutely agree with this.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Bloomington posted:

It was at that moment that I knew I made the right decision by playing Piers.

It felt like, for half of the last level, I stopped playing Resident Evil and started playing a combination of Prototype and what I imagine Metal Gear Rising will be :laffo:

Pretty hilarious, but also pretty badass.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Disco Pope posted:

The more the merrier.

The drinks are on Elza :smug:

You mean Ark Thompson :smug:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Elza's the bartender who repeatedly tells them they should be glad that they got to be in a game, when all she got was a halfway finished game that the jerks from PlayStation Museum hide from us.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Any idea what's the Special Attack between Smash and Push Away in the Records section? I've played all the campaigns, and no idea what the hell.

Also, three missing entries in the enemy section, plus one from the critters section. :negative:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Does that online event thing account for zombie kills made in Mercs or is it just single player? My score has been the same for days and I've been playing the heck out of mercenaries.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Azran posted:

Any idea what's the Special Attack between Smash and Push Away in the Records section? I've played all the campaigns, and no idea what the hell.

It's Pull Down. You can do it in the Rail Yard stage in Mercs or in Leon's chapter 1. When you're making your way through the streets, there's a part where you see a lot of zombies behind a fence. As you hop between the scaffolding above them, you'll see a cutscene where one of the zombies grabs Leon's foot. Just after that you'll find a guy with his back turned on a higher ledge. Stand behind him on the lower ledge and you'll see a prompt.

Disorientated
Sep 1, 2006

Jimbot posted:

Does that online event thing account for zombie kills made in Mercs or is it just single player? My score has been the same for days and I've been playing the heck out of mercenaries.

I've seen people on other forums saying that all modes count towards it (so Mercs too) but RE.NET is so slow at updating you might not see any change for 24 hours or so.

The reward for first place (which is 33,075 kills at the moment) is 50,000 RE.NET points - which is less than what a single recoloured costume costs. Not exactly compelling.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Disorientated posted:

The reward for first place (which is 33,075 kills at the moment) is 50,000 RE.NET points - which is less than what a single recoloured costume costs. Not exactly compelling.

That's hilariously poo poo.

I'm having much more fun with mercs in this game than the campaigns. The campaigns are decent enough, with some spectacularly poor parts and some great parts dotted about, but I'm half way through Chris's and despite having Firepower Level 3, Critical Hits Level 2 and Javo Killer on, I'm still constantly running out of ammo.

Mercs is just a whole other ball game. Why can't the campaign be more like this?

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Paul Revere 3000 posted:

I guess you could throw Claire in that group nowadays too.

I miss Claire. I really hope she shows up in RE7.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

I miss Claire. I really hope she shows up in RE7.

Considering they didn't even mention Jill in this one, you can count her as gone in the RE lore. Probably because in the japanese gaming development world older female characters are almost never seen, whereas male characters growing old is bad-rear end.

I for one would love to see Claire and Jill teaming up, hell I'll even pay extra for it.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

So I gotta play that slow-rear end chapter for the only chance of getting that Special Attack? :sigh:
Crows only spawn in Leon's Chapter 2, right? And I can't get the drat bulletproof chest J'avos to appear.

I hope I'm not the only one who is going all OCD over this stuff. :goonsay:

I'd love to see more characters available in Mercenaries. Or just a big Mercenaries-only game with 15+ characters, completely standalone. gently caress the campaign - I'm playing the poo poo out of Mercenaries.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Alteisen posted:

I for one would love to see Claire and Jill teaming up, hell I'll even pay extra for it.

I'd have prefered Claire to Piers for Chris' campaign, if only for its Redfield sibling bro-op potential.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!
What was the progression system like in the 3DS Mercs game? I'd be down for a stand-alone Mercs game but with gun improvements like in 4 and 5's campaigns rather than 6's skills. Although if they wanted to give us skills on top of weapon mods, I'd be ok with that too.

And make Luis Sera playable. Do it, Capcom.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vanrushal posted:

What was the progression system like in the 3DS Mercs game? I'd be down for a stand-alone Mercs game but with gun improvements like in 4 and 5's campaigns rather than 6's skills. Although if they wanted to give us skills on top of weapon mods, I'd be ok with that too.

And make Luis Sera playable. Do it, Capcom.

It was pretty similar to RE6. You had equippable skills and every character had their own weapon loadouts. You unlocked the ability to switch weapon loadouts around which could be hilariously broken in certain cases.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
How old is Barry at this point in the RE timeline anyway? Wasn't he the oldest member of STARS, and the first game was set in 1998, I think?

When I heard that this game was going to be about a :supaburn: global outbreak with no hope left :supaburn:, that it might end up being the epic finale, with Jill, Chris, Leon, Claire, Ada and all the other main characters teaming up to save the world.

Though if Capcom made a story DLC about Barry, I'm sure they'd make a huge profit. :colbert:

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

OldMemes posted:

How old is Barry at this point in the RE timeline anyway? Wasn't he the oldest member of STARS, and the first game was set in 1998, I think?

Barry was born in 1960, so he'd be 52 or 53 in RE6.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

I found out tonight that during the Chris/Jake crossover in chapter 5, you can mix up the pairs on the lifts for different conversations. Also, the boss fight as Piers with an AI Chris was way more annoying.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Shame it's random, though. Haven't heard what Sherry has to say yet, though sharing a ride with Jake as Chris was funny.

There is a scene between Six Months Later, China and Six Month Reunion (Sherry). I did the campaign with Jake. I guess I should be playing with Sherry to get that one?

I've completed everything but that one slot is still empty, which is odd, since no other scene in the game is different, no matter which of the two characters are you controlling. :v:

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

Alteisen posted:

Considering they didn't even mention Jill in this one, you can count her as gone in the RE lore. Probably because in the japanese gaming development world older female characters are almost never seen, whereas male characters growing old is bad-rear end.

Ada has to be pushing 40 at this point.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Azran posted:

Shame it's random, though.

Nope, you can engineer whatever combo you like. Activate the Haos simulation cutscene and then activate the elevators' power.

The AI partners will go stand in front of their respective levers. All you need to do is walk in front of one of the AI and pull the lever and you'll guaranteed to share the elevator with whoever is standing next to them.

For example: You're Chris. You turn on the elevators power. Jake and Sherry run to one side, Piers will sort of stay where he is since he always chooses last. If you wanted to share the elevator with Sherry, you just need to run to where Jake is and pull his lever. Sherry will automatically ready up and Jake will run to the other side of the room with Piers.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Azran posted:

And I can't get the drat bulletproof chest J'avos to appear.
I only found one of those. I was playing as Piers in the part where you have to blow up the tank on the bridge. Right after you do that, you have to make your way to said bridge. Along the way, I shot one of the J'avos in the chest and he transformed.

quote:

Also, the boss fight as Piers with an AI Chris was way more annoying.
I was having trouble with this boss until someone here told me an easy way to beat him. Spam the weak shot. You only need to use the charged attack when he's in his cocoon. It's a lot easier than playing as Chris.

Spermando fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Oct 19, 2012

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I was surprised to find Chris is 39 in RE6, dude doesn't look a year past 20. Which is impressive for someone with such a stressful job.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Honest Thief posted:

I was surprised to find Chris is 39 in RE6, dude doesn't look a year past 20. Which is impressive for someone with such a stressful job.

He defeated Wesker, and thus stole his youth. RE7 is Claire and Jake teaming up to find and destroy Chris's phylactery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

Azran posted:

Shame it's random, though. Haven't heard what Sherry has to say yet, though sharing a ride with Jake as Chris was funny.

There is a scene between Six Months Later, China and Six Month Reunion (Sherry). I did the campaign with Jake. I guess I should be playing with Sherry to get that one?

I've completed everything but that one slot is still empty, which is odd, since no other scene in the game is different, no matter which of the two characters are you controlling. :v:

The posturing between Piers and Jake is pretty good.

Honest Thief posted:

I think Chris looks closer to his age than 20. What I find crazy is that we're expected to believe Piers is 26 and Jake is 20.