Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Can't have grind without a bit of blood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Finally got a chance to have a full on headphones listen to Time I, and while it's a fantastic album (and probably album of the year for me), I want to point out that Blind Guardian has already covered time extensively. (Hansi would approve of Time I.)

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Time is streaming if you haven't heard it yet http://www.wintersun.fi/album-stream/

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
Seems like the internet isn't machine enough to stream it. I can't get the loving thing to budge.

edit: ok well I've heard it. there's some cool melodic ideas but this is ludicrously over complicated and busy sounding. the synths and other background poo poo is getting in the way of the good ideas happening on guitar.

Morbid Florist fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Oct 17, 2012

supernatural blonde
Mar 15, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

Are there any resources out there for finding bands specifically with women in them? I'm planning on writing a paper on women in underground music, namely the doom/sludge/grind/powerviolence side of things, but the only sites I've found with lists of female-populated bands all focus on wack poo poo Is there a plugin I can use for metal-archives to help me sort out bands with women? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

I'm a bit late to this thread but have you checked out Cthonic? Bonus is they are Taiwanese, you don't see that every day. http://www.youtube.com/artist/chthonic

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
And continuing with stuff about Tuomas Holopainen, here's the trailer for his movie, "Imaginaerum".
I wonder if Tim Burton will sue...
http://youtu.be/7Tn_ZgUmUTU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Non Serviam posted:

And continuing with stuff about Tuomas Holopainen, here's the trailer for his movie, "Imaginaerum".
I wonder if Tim Burton will sue...
http://youtu.be/7Tn_ZgUmUTU

If I were to design a drinking game for what I expect from a Tuomas Halopainen movie this trailer alone would be enough to put me in the hospital ten times over.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

IRQ posted:

If I were to design a drinking game for what I expect from a Tuomas Halopainen movie this trailer alone would be enough to put me in the hospital ten times over.

The mad composer's name is Tomas... and the word "poet" was uttered.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I LIKE DISNEY time to release multiple albums and a feature film to remind everyone of that fact.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Morbid Florist posted:

Seems like the internet isn't machine enough to stream it. I can't get the loving thing to budge.

edit: ok well I've heard it. there's some cool melodic ideas but this is ludicrously over complicated and busy sounding. the synths and other background poo poo is getting in the way of the good ideas happening on guitar.

I'm with you on this one, only I don't think there were that many cool melodic ideas. It rather sounded like someone mashed together Nightwish and some generic melodeath band and fed them amphetamines. And so it continues to boggle my mind that most people I know who listen to metal at all seem to like Wintersun.

Edit: I also got the nagging feeling that I've heard it all before.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

Frank Caskelot posted:

I'm with you on this one, only I don't think there were that many cool melodic ideas. It rather sounded like someone mashed together Nightwish and some generic melodeath band and fed them amphetamines. And so it continues to boggle my mind that most people I know who listen to metal at all seem to like Wintersun.

I felt the same way when the newest Turisas came out. I heard it once, felt it was too much and walked away. It's just too over the top maybe?

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
What in the hell is this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTtSCh1AmQM

Is this a joke? Is this a thing? Are they just ripping of Skeletonwitch? I don't even. At least Bringers of Death some creep factor to it. This is just a bunch of grown men in dumb bear suits.

You know what, I don't even want to know. Sometimes metal is actually kind of embarrassing.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Frank Caskelot posted:

I had the same reaction. My friends were going crazy about it and while I liked the original self-titled album there is none of that energy in this new one. There's way too much going on and the Nightwish over-production is palpable.

I think it suffers from Duke Nukem Forever syndrome in that the production time was so long it a) is no longer relevant and b) got completely lost along the way.

On the plus side, the new Anaal Nathrakh is great!

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Radio Paranoia posted:

I had the same reaction. My friends were going crazy about it and while I liked the original self-titled album there is none of that energy in this new one. There's way too much going on and the Nightwish over-production is palpable.

I think it suffers from Duke Nukem Forever syndrome in that the production time was so long it a) is no longer relevant and b) got completely lost along the way.

On the plus side, the new Anaal Nathrakh is great!

Vanitas is rad.

I'm really digging Time. I get what you guys are saying about the over-production and all, and it is really over the top, but that's one of the things I like about. It's composed so well and really pushes the boundaries in many directions. Come to think of it, Vanitas and Time are actually both great examples of metal pushing boundaries. Vanitas in its raw violent anger and Time in its composition and millions of layers. Neither are conforming to the norm - even within metal standards. No metal by numbers here.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

No metal by numbers here.
Time is metal by Graham's number.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Negative Plane + Vomitor US tour dates:

05 Dec: Philadelphia, PA at Kung Fu Necktie with Ashencult and Pissgrave
06 Dec: Baltimore, MD at Golden West Cafe with Extermination Angel
07 Dec: Richmond, VA at Strange Matter with Bastard Sapling and Orgon Donor
08 Dec: Pittsburgh, PA at Howler's with Derketa, Abysme and Falcifer
09 Dec: Cleveland, OH at Now That's Class with TBA
10 Dec: Brooklyn, NY at Public Assembly with Ominous Resurrection and TBA
12 Dec: Austin, TX at Red 7 with TBA
13 Dec: Los Angeles, CA at 5 Star Bar with Kommandant, Sanguis Imperem, Invocation War

Go if you can.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I don't have any friends anymore who are into metal as much as I am, and I don't read any forums about it or anything, so it surprised me how popular Wintersun is. I started metal with Blind Guardian in college, then started to look for more things on an epic scale like that and found Ensiferum. Then Jari started Wintersun, and I listened to that and loved it. My Wintersun shirt is one of the few band-related shirts I wear, and I've only had maybe half a dozen people in the years I've had it say they also loved the band.

It's saying something that Wintersun is so popular and so divisive when they've only released one album in eight years. That kind of divisiveness, where they're hugely popular among their genre but also have a vocal minority of people saying, "This is over the top, I don't know how everyone likes this," is usually reserved for the bands who've started out strong and then - years and many albums later - have changed tone so much that the people complaining are alienated former fans. One album in almost a decade and still this popular and so much anticipation for Time I? Until I read this thread and the posts on Metal Archives, I figured I was almost alone in still waiting.

And the album is amazing. I can't get enough of Sons of Winter and Stars. The weakest track is Land of Snow and Sorrow, but Sons of Winter and Stars and also Time blow me away and more than make up for it. There's no awesome guitar solo like in Winter Madness, but I don't mind. It still sounds like a natural evolution of their original sound.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Frank Caskelot posted:

I actually agree entirely, I just didn't want to start an argument I don't give a poo poo enough about to get into. This album's been done a hundred times already by Kalmah, In Flames, Soilwork, etc, only they had the luck of doing it 10 years ago, and it wasn't half this hyped.

I do like some of the guitar lines but it's a sappy nostalgia more than anything.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Vanitas is continuing to blow my mind.

Oh, and thanks for the recommendations! Dad liked some of them but he didn't say which. :v:

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Oh, and thanks for the recommendations! Dad liked some of them but he didn't say which. :v:

boo! make him tell!

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Time is really brilliantly layered, there is a lot to dig into and appreciate with each listen of the songs. As for the ridiculous complaints of it sounding like other bands, I don't know what you people expect. The fast, melodic and symphonic shtick has been done for years and years now, but so has nearly every other form of metal. No one (I hope) was expecting some absolute genre defying monster, people were expecting a continuation of Wintersun.

Time is just a refined take on the scene (whatever you want to call it) by a very talented composer/musician with some vague Japanese influence to give it some distinct identity, and it achieves this.

If Insomnium releases an album, I am expecting melodic death metal - a genre that has been beat to loving death. That does not mean I cannot appreciate the music if it is well written and performed.

velvet milkman fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Oct 18, 2012

vedicardi
Oct 17, 2012

dutch wife abc posted:

It IS awesome.

Does anyone know if Katherine Katz (from Agoraphobic Nosebleed) guests on this? I think that's her on "Eve" but I need a confirmation to be completely sure.

Just want to point out that this guy is fuckin' great for having "Dutch Wife ABC" as his username

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
The production on Time is amazing. There is so much going on, but it all comes through so clearly and without encroaching on other stuff. I guess all those RAMS paid off.

Edit- VV- This I can agree with, some faster stuff like Battle Against and Winter Madness would have been nice. Maybe on Time II .

henpod fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Oct 18, 2012

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

I was expecting more "Battle Against Time" and not "Sleeping Stars." You have Kai Hahto who is absolutely AMAZING at drums. Please do more blast beats.

I'd rather listen to the new Anaal Nathrakh which (besides the last track) is awesome and destroys. I'm also happy this new album isn't as bad as Passion, I read that Mick Kenney was collaborating with a guy from Bring Me the Horizon (and I just noticed that he produced a Bleeding Through album) so I was 90% sure Passion was going to have bad breakdowns.

vedicardi
Oct 17, 2012

dutch wife abc posted:

It IS awesome.

Does anyone know if Katherine Katz (from Agoraphobic Nosebleed) guests on this? I think that's her on "Eve" but I need a confirmation to be completely sure.

Can't help but mention how great it is to see someone with "Dutch Wife ABC" as a username. Great stuff.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

lordblytzkrieg posted:

I was expecting more "Battle Against Time" and not "Sleeping Stars." You have Kai Hahto who is absolutely AMAZING at drums. Please do more blast beats.

I'd rather listen to the new Anaal Nathrakh which (besides the last track) is awesome and destroys. I'm also happy this new album isn't as bad as Passion, I read that Mick Kenney was collaborating with a guy from Bring Me the Horizon (and I just noticed that he produced a Bleeding Through album) so I was 90% sure Passion was going to have bad breakdowns.

Is Vanitas streaming somewhere? I'm eagerly awaiting it, but my local record store will only get the vinyls in next month.

vedicardi posted:

Can't help but mention how great it is to see someone with "Dutch Wife ABC" as a username. Great stuff.

So great you had to mention it twice, eh?

Edit: VVVVV But you talked about great in both your posts. What can I believe anymore?

Frank Caskelot fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 18, 2012

vedicardi
Oct 17, 2012
So nice I had to say it twice okay? Get your facts straight.

Edit: Your eyes deceive you.

vedicardi fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 18, 2012

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Radio Paranoia posted:

Yeah, I have to agree with this. I finally got a chance to listen to Time I tonight, and, well, it's good, but overproduced as hell and hardly the masterpiece some seem to be saying it is. I don't see how this took 6 years on a petaflop computer with 12 terabytes of RAM to make. Every other symphonic metal band puts out stuff that sounds basically the same as this album every 2 years or so.

Not that taking 6 years between albums is a bad thing (see: Orphaned Land) but how did Jari seriously blame this thing on computers?

Not impressed, but bombastic symphonic metal isn't my thing right now.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
If anyone's going to NJ Deathfest this weekend, be friendly and say hi, I play bass in Parasitic Extirpation, and I'll likely be the most unmetal looking dude there.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Overproduced extreme symphonic flower metal is overrated and Wintersun sucks. Instead of talking about Wintersun we should talk about Bound By Entrails because "The Stars Bode You Farewell" is the best album this year and the honest, rough production makes it sound even more majestic than it would if it was polished.

vedicardi
Oct 17, 2012

Zodijackylite posted:

Overproduced extreme symphonic flower metal is overrated and Wintersun sucks. Instead of talking about Wintersun we should talk about Bound By Entrails because "The Stars Bode You Farewell" is the best album this year and the honest, rough production makes it sound even more majestic than it would if it was polished.

What's the difference between "symphonic flower metal" and "symphonic cranky goth kid metal"

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

vedicardi posted:

What's the difference between "symphonic flower metal" and "symphonic cranky goth kid metal"

Both have a fanbase of people who wear fedoras with band t-shirts so I have no idea either

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Devin Townsend is better than both of them anyway...

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Hammer Floyd posted:

Devin Townsend is better than both of them anyway...

I still can't listen to a full Devin Townsend album and I think he's more overhyped than just about anything else in metal.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I still can't listen to a full Devin Townsend album and I think he's more overhyped than just about anything else in metal.

I will fight you! :argh:

Seriously though, I come across a lot of people with that opinion and I kind of see where it comes from. I think it's just because he's an all round humble guy with zero pretention or ego. His music is, if anything, engaging and unpredictable - the DTP albums were also great because it wasn't just four albums of the same thing over and over. He's a more than accomplished musician and I honestly think he's only really hitting his stride now!
</fanboy>

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Them's fighting words.

If nothing else, you have to admit he's unique. There's nothing that sounds like Devin Townsend. Whether or not that's a good thing is up to you.

I actually like that there's some metal out there that's not trying too hard. I'll admit that yes, there's a lot of overproduction (I love the overproduction, but can understand why others wouldn't) but he's not trying to be the heaviest, meanest, fastest, cheesiest, most epic or anything like that. It's just Devin being Devin.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
All that is cool and I think that's why I've given him so many chances. I just can't get into DTP stuff. Every time I see / hear somebody talking about him I give it another go, but it just doesn't do it for me.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

All that is cool and I think that's why I've given him so many chances. I just can't get into DTP stuff. Every time I see / hear somebody talking about him I give it another go, but it just doesn't do it for me.

Awesome :). Well I'll leave this suggestion and leave it at that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0EC2ndoXDE

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
This will be an extremely unpopular opinion but one of my favorite albums this year is Enabler - All Hail The Void. Yes, the drummer from Fallout Boy plays in this band. It doesn't mean it doesn't kick rear end! So many riffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
I don't mean to turn this into Devin chat but I don't really like his floatier stuff, but adore SYL and his more recent stuff. His passion, energy and pure love for music is what makes him special.

Will just leave this here and bugger off.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57hs37Yq_3s