Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I wonder if they were aping the paperback novel cover of American Psycho or if there's an earlier example of this type of layout that they got it from.

and here's a poster that I've always loved, the blurb about Animal House is so out of place, yet so right.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Oct 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

ruddiger posted:

I wonder if they were aping the paperback novel cover of American Psycho or if there's an earlier example of this type of layout.

I think it's firmly acknowledged that the designers drew inspiration from Barbara Kruger, who predates the cover of the first edition of "American Psycho".

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

ruddiger posted:

and here's a poster that I've always loved, the blurb about Animal House is so out of place, yet so right.

I'll take any opportunity to remind people how awesome this is:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
So here's another version of that Miley Cyrus masterpiece because I know you were all just dying to take a look at it.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

"A tough, street-smart private eye is hired by the FBI to go undercover in a college sorority."

What an unbelievable premise. Miley Cyrus could never get into college.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Vagabundo posted:

So here's another version of that Miley Cyrus masterpiece because I know you were all just dying to take a look at it.

Jeremy Piven? Whyyyyy??

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

zenintrude posted:

Jeremy Piven? Whyyyyy??

What else is he doing?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

What else is he doing?

Buying stylish fedoras.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

LesterGroans posted:

Buying stylish fedoras.

God I bet he wishes there were more than 24 hours in a day.

tvb
Dec 22, 2004

We don't understand Chinese, dude!

zenintrude posted:

Jeremy Piven? Whyyyyy??

Just makes me think of:

Ari Gold posted:

Ok. Here's an offer for you to star in a new Olsen twins movie. It's a love triangle in which little Mary Kate and Ashley use you as an experiment to see if you can actually tell if they are two separate, distinct people. This would be mildly amusing if the producer didn't think he had a realistic shot of getting you.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

This poster's pretty neat, but the text up top just throws me for a loop every time. I'm guessing the single common element in all three films is the company that did the 3D effects?

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

I'm inordinately bothered that 'Cirque du Soleil' and 'Worlds Away' rhyme.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Rahonavis posted:

This poster's pretty neat, but the text up top just throws me for a loop every time. I'm guessing the single common element in all three films is the company that did the 3D effects?
No, James Cameron is a producer and it's from the director of the first two Narnia movies. All visible in the credits.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Rahonavis posted:

Before I scrolled down and saw the title, I thought this was a sequel to Hugo. Also, that's a lot of blue and orange! :v:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I have this same cover of the book and everytime I glance at it, I always think its Craig T. Nelson for a brief moment. Every. Single. Time.

I have made this mistake no less than 150 times.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

That Cirque Du Soleil poster is pretty poorly arranged I think. The separate figures and objects are floating aimlessly and without any strong visual hierarchy in a sea of sparkles and fluff. Like they're all getting sucked out into space or something.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
"From the people who made major motion pictures comes... a major motion picture."

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

spanky the dolphin posted:

That Cirque Du Soleil poster is pretty poorly arranged I think. The separate figures and objects are floating aimlessly and without any strong visual hierarchy in a sea of sparkles and fluff. Like they're all getting sucked out into space or something.

Sounds like Cirque de Soleil.

Jam With Seeds
Dec 20, 2008

spanky the dolphin posted:

It's got kind of a spiral visual going, but it doesn't really flow enough to work well.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Jay Dub posted:

"From the people who made major motion pictures comes... a major motion picture."

This is what threw me to; what the hell?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

zenintrude posted:

Jeremy Piven? Whyyyyy??

The guy has a pretty serious coke habit. He's probably blowing (no pun intended) through that Entourage money pretty quickly.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

bows1 posted:

This is what threw me to; what the hell?

The only thing I can think of is so that people know it's a movie and not a live show since there are so many different Cirque du Soleil acts.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Jay Dub posted:

Yeah, that's it exactly, especially since whatever James Cameron and Guy Who Directed "The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe" have to do with a 3D Cirque du Soleil movie has been clarified.

If I ever make my movie, I will insist that the tagline be something along the lines of the following:

"From a Person who once Owned a Copy of the 'Shrek' VHS!"

"From a Person who, while visiting friends in southern California, was Probably Within Fifty Miles of The Studio That Brought You 'Shrek'!"

"From a Person who is The Same Species as the People Who Brought You 'Shrek' probably we think!"

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Nihonniboku posted:

The guy has a pretty serious coke habit. He's probably blowing (no pun intended) through that Entourage money pretty quickly.

That's disappointing if unsurprising. How might you know this? Just curious.

And we released this look for Argo after trying to kill it. This was created for the Toronto Film Festival and then we resurrected it because people kept asking for a copy.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

kiimo posted:

And we released this look for Argo after trying to kill it. This was created for the Toronto Film Festival and then we resurrected it because people kept asking for a copy.

Yeah, I've seen that in a couple places around town (Toronto).

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Nihonniboku posted:

I hadn't heard the coke habit thing but I've heard multiple showbiz people on podcasts talk about how he is a truly horrible human being. Nobody seems to want to give out specific examples but it seems like it's generally agreed he's a huge rear end in a top hat. So I guess I wouldn't be too surprised to learn he's a stereotypical coke-fueled egomaniac with a short fuse.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

kiimo posted:

That's loving awesome. I love the design of it. And thanks for reminding me that I still need to go see Argo! :)

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

kiimo posted:

Aside from generic tabloid fodder, I also have friends who have met him on different occasions, and each time they said he was coked out of his mind.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Did the person who took the missing strip ring Ben Affleck to say they thought they'd found his acting career?

(Sorry, I don't mean to belittle your work - that's just what it put me in mind of.)

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

This poster is fantastic. It's sad that the standard theatrical poster was so mediocre.

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen

Reminds me of a cover from a paperback thriller

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Red_Museum posted:

Reminds me of a cover from a paperback thriller

It reminds me of a GBS photoshop thread submission. And not a good one.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
It looks like 2 swasticas and a giant eye away from a Dees piece.

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!
I don't have Photoshop on this computer so use your imagination...

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Bonus points for whoever made this not realising layer effects can be altered. The towers have the default outer glow setting and the White House tinted with the default red.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Vagabundo posted:

That's So Undercover, coming this November to The Disney Channel. Check your local listings.

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011

Vagabundo posted:

So it's a genderflipped Agent Cody Banks?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
I'd have gone with "a tween-oriented 21 Jump Street."

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I don't like the tagline on that Cirque de Soleil movie.

Cirque de Soleil: Worlds Away "experience the adventure that will take you worlds away"

I'm no professional but repeating "worlds away" so much just sounds clunky to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Timett posted:

I don't like the tagline on that Cirque de Soleil movie.

Cirque de Soleil: Worlds Away "experience the adventure that will take you worlds away"

I'm no professional but repeating "worlds away" so much just sounds clunky to me.

Still not as bad as the Clash of the Titans (remake) tagline: Titans will clash.