Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.
Allrighty, here's one I like in moderation 1., because :3: , 2. Because the girl is pretty much an Emma Stone doppleganger
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1sT7QV8nfU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

iamathousandapples posted:

Why don't they play it as much any more? That and Mantracker were pretty much the only reasons to watch it
I believe How It's Made would like a word with you.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Flagrant Abuse posted:

I believe How It's Made would like a word with you.

Just one word though. Any more and it'll just lull you to a deep and dreamless sleep.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
So the Surface ads are finally starting to hit the airwaves and I still don't get the concept.
I mean, it's a tablet with a keyboard. So... it's a netbook? Did Dennis Duffy get a job at Microsoft?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

404GoonNotFound posted:

So the Surface ads are finally starting to hit the airwaves and I still don't get the concept.
I mean, it's a tablet with a keyboard. So... it's a netbook? Did Dennis Duffy get a job at Microsoft?

The big deal with it is that its Microsoft's official tablet.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

404GoonNotFound posted:

It's quite simple really: it's a tablet that runs Windows but has a removable keyboard, also it's not really Windows, it's Windows RT which only runs apps made for whatever the whole deal with Windows apps is now. They're also releasing Windows 8 tablets that will be the same as Windows RT except it's full Windows 8 that will run legacy apps (anything that's not specifically one of those Windows Store app things -- at this point the phrasing is getting difficult for me to remember because it's all a mess of reused branding -- i.e. everything on Windows right now).

So it's simple you see! It's the new Windows tablet that has a detachable keyboard and runs a version of Windows for tablets (which takes up 12 gigs out of the box apparently) that doesn't have a desktop (except for Office, which for some reason necessitates it's inclusion) and can't run non Windows Store apps, set to compete with the upcoming Windows 8 tablets that will actually run Windows 8 that looks the same as Windows RT but also runs Windows programs that aren't in the Windows Store.

It's a Windows tablet with a keyboard, a tablet that's like a lesser netbook/ultrabook that's set to compete against the upcoming Windows tabletized netbook/ultrabooks.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
In other news, an awesome commercial came out of loving nowhere for YourGED.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3jjshwrjn0

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online
drat, Ron Perlman must be hurtin' for Hellboy 3.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Grin and Tonic posted:

drat, Ron Perlman must be hurtin' for Hellboy 3.

I'm assuming that this wasn't so much money as a public service thing.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Thwomp posted:

It's a horrible commercial about an absentee father who couldn't be bothered enough to show up to his son's lovely recital. It should be focused on the grandparents who presumably live very far away.
It bothers me that we're supposed to assume the kid can see the tablets even though he's got a big spotlight shining in his face.

CapnBoomstick
Jan 20, 2006
loving Verizon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38qqQ-EQ3vk

Look how high our bar is compared to the other bars! We must be the best because we have the biggest bar. Too bad we don't tell you what the Y-axis actually stands for. Could be number of markets, could also be the number of puppies we threw off a cliff and offered as sacrifice to the Verizon blood god, who the gently caress knows???

Label your god damned axis!

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

CapnBoomstick posted:

loving Verizon.

Look how high our bar is compared to the other bars! We must be the best because we have the biggest bar. Too bad we don't tell you what the Y-axis actually stands for. Could be number of markets, could also be the number of puppies we threw off a cliff and offered as sacrifice to the Verizon blood god, who the gently caress knows???

I meant to post this the other day, and I'm glad someone else is bothered by it. "Look at this graph! This one has numbers! What do those numbers represent? I dunno, but whatever it is, T-Mobile has 0 of them! Wow!"

DaMangoSentinel
Sep 10, 2010

Do I have to do it like this?
I'm currently hating the Radio Shack phone trade in commercials, where they all look like they're being shot by the phones. One ad particular infuriates me.

"I GOT THE NEW VERIZON SMARTPHONE! EVERYONE'S GONNA HAVE ONE OF THESE!"

The guy is just wayyyyyyyy too excited, and just saying THE NEW VERIZON SMARTPHONE just infuriates me for some reason.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

SpacePig posted:

I meant to post this the other day, and I'm glad someone else is bothered by it. "Look at this graph! This one has numbers! What do those numbers represent? I dunno, but whatever it is, T-Mobile has 0 of them! Wow!"

It reminds me of those commercials for some brand of eyedrops where their demonstration of how it works is a red-colored eye that gradually changes into a blue-colored eye.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

DaMangoSentinel posted:

I'm currently hating the Radio Shack phone trade in commercials, where they all look like they're being shot by the phones. One ad particular infuriates me.

"I GOT THE NEW VERIZON SMARTPHONE! EVERYONE'S GONNA HAVE ONE OF THESE!"

The guy is just wayyyyyyyy too excited, and just saying THE NEW VERIZON SMARTPHONE just infuriates me for some reason.

Holy crap this! Nobody actually names their phones by the carriers. Like I'll never say I just got a T-Mobile smart phone, people are going to look at me like an idiot.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I don't particularly hate this ad, but it's still kind of dumb/weird in a bad way: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Xm3jQuS_Jo

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

CapnBoomstick posted:

loving Verizon.

I don't get it. Haven't they labelled it across the entire top of the graph? Are you upset that it is written there rather than on the left side of the graph?

Parachute
May 18, 2003

TontoCorazon posted:

Holy crap this! Nobody actually names their phones by the carriers. Like I'll never say I just got a T-Mobile smart phone, people are going to look at me like an idiot.

They do it so they can just switch out the last part of the commercial where they show a specific phone with whatever their newest phone is.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

MrChupon posted:

I don't get it. Haven't they labelled it across the entire top of the graph? Are you upset that it is written there rather than on the left side of the graph?

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with that unless you want to be some sort of crazy person that is upset that they didn't also put "Available Carriers" on the other axis too. This isn't science class.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Sash! posted:

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with that unless you want to be some sort of crazy person that is upset that they didn't also put "Available Carriers" on the other axis too. This isn't science class.

I guess you could argue that they don't tell you what "LTE" is or its significance, as far as that commercial is concerned they might as well have called it "blast processing."

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I think the problem is that the numbers don't represent anything. The chart says "Carriers with 4G LTE", and then has 4 carriers with bars. What do the numbers mean? Are they the markets that have LTE coverage? Is it total square miles of coverage? Are they the number of phones they have that can accept LTE? Is it the overall speed of the connection? The number of customers that subscribe to it? Who knows?

e: Also, if T-Mobile has 0, then why are they on a chart that's about carriers that provide this service?

Whoops, had to watch this a few times to finally read what it said. Looks like it's the number of markets. Sorry everyone!

I swear the first time I saw it, though, it wasn't labelled.

SpacePig fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Oct 22, 2012

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I don't particularly hate this ad, but it's still kind of dumb/weird in a bad way: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Xm3jQuS_Jo

Honestly, the first one with the guy in the coat was amusing but like anything else, they're slowly driving it into the ground.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

They changed the Accu chek Nano jingle! Is nothing sacred? :qq:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Microsoft really found the worst person in the world to say "Wow Bing did win".

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online
I moved to New York to study fashion and I got a job at loving TJ MAXX.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I don't know why Brad Pitt is doing ads for Chanel No 5. It seems a little... beneath him.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

samsung continues to be hilarious.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

This is the Ads You Hate thread, what is this doing here?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

We've tried an "ads you love" thread once or twice and they die pretty quickly :sigh:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Posting a link to a mobile version of a Youtube video should be a probatable offense. :colbert:

Fixed for those too lazy to delete the "m.":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvB3msfJYdk

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Toyota's new "Most American Car on the Road" ad makes me want to fly a plane into their headquarters.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

This campaign ad comes on constantly here in NC. This stupid song has been stuck in my head for a month.

http://youtu.be/BJoHuJ3KTB4

Acrolos fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Oct 26, 2012

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Acrolos posted:

This campaign ad comes on constantly here in NC. This stupid song has been stuck in my head for a month.

http://youtu.be/BJoHuJ3KTB4

Stupid Newby.

Here in PA there's an ad where some coal miners (or actors playing coal miners) claim that the regulations on mines cause them to close down and constitute a "war on coal." It's like, how dare they put laws in place to make sure you don't die horribly in a mining accident! What assholes!

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

raditts posted:

Here in PA there's an ad where some coal miners (or actors playing coal miners) claim that the regulations on mines cause them to close down and constitute a "war on coal." It's like, how dare they put laws in place to make sure you don't die horribly in a mining accident! What assholes!

It's not about mine safety regulations, it's about coal-fueled power plant emissions.

It's still just as bad, though. "The government won't let us pollute as much anymore! One of the shittiest ways of generating electricity in the country might have to go away! Feel sorry for us!" The ads might as well be from the lead paint or asbestos lobby.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Somewhere along the way, Pennsylvania forgot it invented nuclear power and all the well paying probably won't kill you jobs that came with it.

Also, a lot of Pennsylvania's coal is exported to China to fuel the steel mills that took all the steel jobs. Which might be the most ironic thing in the history of irony.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Sash! posted:

Also, a lot of Pennsylvania's coal is exported to China to fuel the steel mills that took all the steel jobs. Which might be the most ironic thing in the history of irony.

:psyduck:

Doesn't China have a lot of coal itself? It's a big country.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Young Freud posted:

:psyduck:

Doesn't China have a lot of coal itself? It's a big country.

Not all coal is useful for the same things. Western Pennsylvania produces bituminous coal, which is more useful than other types for coking. You need a lot of coke if you're a less mature steel industry (like China. The US is a mature steel industry. China uses a lot of huge oxygen furnaces to process refined ore. The US reprocesses scrap steel in smaller electric arc furnaces). China does not have large reserves, or maybe any at all, of bituminous. (I was mistaken on that part.)

Sub-bituminous coal, from the Powder River Basin in Wyoming, is too moist to coke but also has very low SO2 levels. You use that for power. It also produces more BTUs per ton than bituminous.

In conclusion, coal is a much more complex industry than it would appear.

Sash! fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 28, 2012

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Well, I didn't know I was going to learn things about coal today, but I still maintain that the sooner we leave coal behind as a power source is the better.

Sash! posted:

Somewhere along the way, Pennsylvania forgot it invented nuclear power and all the well paying probably won't kill you jobs that came with it.

Well you know, there was this one nuclear accident once in the 70s so that means that unlike coal we can NEVER trust nuclear power again.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

raditts posted:

Well you know, there was this one nuclear accident once in the 70s so that means that unlike coal we can NEVER trust nuclear power again.

Man, we sure are lucky Coal is completely harmless. Thanks, Clean Coal!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

404GoonNotFound posted:

Man, we sure are lucky Coal is completely harmless. Thanks, Clean Coal!

And Centralia isn't even close to being the worst consequence of using coal.