Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Surely there is some misunderstanding here :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Chronojam posted:

Surely there is some misunderstanding here :psyduck:

Yeah I'm hoping this is some horrible mistranslation or a rep who isn't actually a rep/is a terrible rep and is loving with people.

Even when they unveiled it in 2011 they talked about how you'd be able to chat with others and set up games that way.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Can you not plug in a USB headset ala the PS3 or PC? Does it have to be on the controller?

e: the article makes it sound like he asked and Nintendo doesn't quite understand the question or isn't really sure. wired or wireless it'd be nice if using USB was an option

Cuboidal 64
Sep 29, 2010

Green dick is better than blue dick
Alright, that's unfortunate and a missed opportunity, but otherwise not that big of a deal if you already use headsets? And it just sounds like they're not making wireless ones YET.

Gonna hope there was some miscommunication/misunderstanding though.

Edit: Another thing too, what's so bad about having it connect to the gamepad? It comes with every system and if you're not really using it just set it next to you.

Cuboidal 64 fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Oct 18, 2012

Jumbled_Johnsons
Jul 2, 2011

by T. Finninho
That poo poo about the mic/ gamepad pro and all looks like it's speculation and probably misunderstanding.
I don't see any reason to believe it.
I would bet that the mic on the Gamepad will be usable in video chat as well as voice-only chat, and that usb wireless headset solutions will also become available.

pocketbelt
Oct 9, 2012

HRAH
This was mentioned in one post on the last page, but here it is again:

British retailers charging premium prices on Wii U versions of multiplatform games.

It mostly seems to be GAME trying to push up prices in general for the new consoles coming in, but there's still Amazon and Play.com joining them and it's not very encouraging for game prices over here. If it's only temporary, then it's really going to hurt the Wii U's start a good bit.

Not that I'd be able to get one until the new year, but still, I hope this isn't going to be the trend for the next generation.

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...
Even if it is true, I'm saving my rage for when they announce in a 1 AM PST Nintendo Direct that friend codes are back and required to use any Miiverse features.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I won't paste the whole thing here, but go read this. Scroll down to the part where the interviewer asks about Farmville. Blow's answer sums up a lot of what people have to say about the psychology of achievements.

I'd be careful about thinking that 'a lot of people' means an imagined majority. Most people are pretty unconcerned about achievements in general, given how few people actually go out of their way to collect them all. Most people get achievements just over the course of regular gameplay, some are even surprised by them.

For example, short of looking up a guide or hearing about it from someone else, most people wouldn't find 'What does it mean?!' in Borderlands 2 without some meaningful off the rails exploration. Encouraging exploration of open world environments is not inherently a bad thing! What is bad is encouraging exploration of a BORING open world environment. This is why so many people bitch about GTA 4's Liberty City, but praise San Andreas for providing more to do. The advent of achievements did not make interesting environments that encourage players an impossibility.

If John Blow wants achievements to be meaningful, interesting, and challenging to actually accomplish, then he should make it happen for his respective titles. He's the game designer. I fundamentally disagree with anyone who implies it's a "bad thing" to have something extra in game that draws a (relatively small) percentage of the gaming population back to a title to keep playing. This is not bad game design, this is successful game design, particularly around multiplayer centric experiences like competitive shooters or sports titles. About the only thing I'd agree with is if you could turn off the notifications entirely, but they've been pretty easy to ignore as is.

As is, it's nice that Nintendo is providing the option for them. It'd be a mistake to write them off as unimportant: the whole reason they are even offering them in any capacity whatsoever is that people like the things, regardless of whatever people like Blow have to say about them. Even Nintendo recognizes the potential gameplay value.

Re: Nintendo Not Understanding This Whole Communication Thing

It's always one step forward, one step backwards. Unless this is really the fault of a rep not knowing what the gently caress, this kinda hurts the connectivity and communication features they've been trying to sell on the Wii U for the past year.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

The Introvert posted:

This was mentioned in one post on the last page, but here it is again:

British retailers charging premium prices on Wii U versions of multiplatform games.

It mostly seems to be GAME trying to push up prices in general for the new consoles coming in, but there's still Amazon and Play.com joining them and it's not very encouraging for game prices over here. If it's only temporary, then it's really going to hurt the Wii U's start a good bit.

Not that I'd be able to get one until the new year, but still, I hope this isn't going to be the trend for the next generation.

That's going to bite them in the rear end when people just download the game instead.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

If they add support for wireless headsets and offer them in the future then that will help assuming anything in that Kotaku article is true. I'm pretty sick of wired headsets myself.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Chronojam posted:

That's going to bite them in the rear end when people just download the game instead.

Woe to anyone with terrible internet speeds though. It's not as though games like Mass Effect 3 (who is really going to buy this on the Wii U) or Arkham City are going to be small downloads. The convenience of having it digital may not be enough to dissuade the impatient from just sucking up the additional cost of a physical copy, and its what these jerks are counting on.

Aren't GAME going out of business or something like that? I feel bad for gamers in that region, always getting screwed really badly in pricing. :smith:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Chronojam posted:

Not all games are available for download. Only Nintendo games, and not even all Nintendo games, are so far available for download on launch.

(the only nintendo game not available for download at launch is their karaoke game for some reason)

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I think Nintendo said all first-party titles would have simultaneous digital launch the way NSMB2 did, and that third parties could opt in to this as well. Dollars to donuts says Ubisoft will.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Supercar Gautier posted:

I think Nintendo said all first-party titles would have simultaneous digital launch the way NSMB2 did, and that third parties could opt in to this as well. Dollars to donuts says Ubisoft will.

I'm just basing this on Wikipedia. They have a list of launch game with Yes, No, or Unknown for simultaneous digital launch.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
Honestly I never use voice chat in games unless it's over skype with people I know. Just too much homophobia and racism. Sometimes directed at me even though I'm straight and white.

It's still a baffling solution if true, though, especially given that the games it would be most helpful with like ME3 and Blops2 would play best with the Wiimote and nunchuck combo anyway. Why not just let them use the Gamepad mic? If it's just sitting on the table then pressing buttons isn't going to mess with the signal on it.

pocketbelt
Oct 9, 2012

HRAH

fivegears4reverse posted:

Aren't GAME going out of business or something like that? I feel bad for gamers in that region, always getting screwed really badly in pricing. :smith:

They almost did go out of business a few months back before they got bought over by an equity firm, I think? And with their prices it's no wonder, I've basically turned to Amazon entirely for games now, occasionally HMV. Most places online rarely ask for over £40 for new games where GAME's all too willing to charge up to £45 or more.

And it's not all bad, the UK at least benefits when it comes to importing because of exchange rates. It'd be better if we didn't have to resort to having to import at all, but this industry, man. :smith:

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

The Introvert posted:

They almost did go out of business a few months back before they got bought over by an equity firm, I think? And with their prices it's no wonder, I've basically turned to Amazon entirely for games now, occasionally HMV. Most places online rarely ask for over £40 for new games where GAME's all too willing to charge up to £45 or more.

And it's not all bad, the UK at least benefits when it comes to importing because of exchange rates. It'd be better if we didn't have to resort to having to import at all, but this industry, man. :smith:

I like how we American PC gamers bitch every single time a new game comes out for 60 USD even though it's been every game for years, and the largest British retailer for games sells them for 45 loving pounds or more. That's over 72 dollars. Highway robbery for sure.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
This might be off but I'm wondering if I could just plug my xbox headset right into the gamepad? It goes into an audio jack, has a mic. No reason that wouldn't work right?

pocketbelt
Oct 9, 2012

HRAH

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I like how we American PC gamers bitch every single time a new game comes out for 60 USD even though it's been every game for years, and the largest British retailer for games sells them for 45 loving pounds or more. That's over 72 dollars. Highway robbery for sure.

And hell, we don't even have it as bad as Australia, whose dollar is almost the same in value as the US one but they still have to pay around $100 per game if I remember right. I love it when I hear Americans bitching about game prices, because frankly I'd love to have yours!

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

The Introvert posted:

And hell, we don't even have it as bad as Australia, whose dollar is almost the same in value as the US one but they still have to pay around $100 per game if I remember right. I love it when I hear Americans bitching about game prices, because frankly I'd love to have yours!

Just because one thing is bad and another thing is worse that doesn't make the bad thing any better. I don't mind paying $60 for some games, but I think that is too expensive for quite a few of them.

netBuff
Nov 7, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Not only are you comparing console game prices with sales tax included to PC game prices excluding taxes, but you're also ignoring the agitation (which is very premature, as game prices typically start high and lower closer to release with new platforms) over the uncharacteristically high price points retailers are trying to achieve for Wii U console games.

GAME might as well try to gouge customers, but there's always other retailers and the rest of Europe to import games from. Or order from Zavvi.

Example prices for yet unreleased PC games in the UK (including all taxes and shipping):

£29.99 - Medal of Honor: Warfighter - Limited Edition - Medal of Honor: Warfighter - Limited Edition
£27.99 - Assassin's Creed 3
£27.99 - Far Cry 3 - The Lost Expeditions Edition
£34.71 - Call of Duty: Black Ops II

netBuff fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Oct 18, 2012

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Xavier434 posted:

Just because one thing is bad and another thing is worse that doesn't make the bad thing any better. I don't mind paying $60 for some games, but I think that is too expensive for quite a few of them.

Like what would be too expensive in terms of what games? Looking at the Wii's library I really have to say that nothing was really over the top. Infact a large portion of the library went ignored and prices for alot of nitche games became incredibly affordable.

You can get Dragon's Lair trilogy and Mad Dog McCree Trilogy for less than 20 bucks in total. Those are 6 of the best Laserdisc games in existance(there's only around 30 LD games in total). Ultimate Shooting collection can be had for 5-10 dollars and that contains 3 rather good quality shooters that are perfect ports of their originals. Metal Slug Anthology can run you 10-20 bucks but they're 7 or so games on a single disc that have no issues with the ports.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

I don't buy any games at full price, no game is worth more than 30€ to me. I either wait a couple weeks after release or I order them in the UK, where they run pretty good discounts right away usually; Steam sales are also an option. As is buying used.

I guess publishers would argue that if there were only people like me, games wouldn't be profitable (which I'd argue) but since there are plenty of people willing to pay full price, I am more than ok with having them offset my savings.

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Oct 18, 2012

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Katana Gomai posted:

Buy games a month after release for half price (or on Steam) and enjoy getting your games funded by the idiots who pay full price.
In a month? Maybe with shittier games or games available on open platforms (such as Steam), but if you want to play a console game while the multiplayer is active you pretty much have to bite the bullet and pay full price, or do some serious coupon hunting.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
Paying attention to deals sites you can often get AAA titles for £20-25 a month or two after release in the UK, especially running up to Christmas. This usually doesn't apply to Nintendo's own releases, but I've noticed a few more in the past year.

Sometimes these deals are very limited time though. I remember in the run up to Christmas last year you could get Skyrim for £20 and then it was back to full price for about 6 months.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

I am trying to think of shooters (because it's that and Madden/FIFA) that haven't been discounted after a month and I can only come up with the CoD franchise, which has Nintendo first party game levels of price stability. I should have mentioned I don't play console shooters, but your argument is valid in those cases.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

There must be some confusion with the voice chat thing. Would you need a headset for video chat???? Does anyone remember that goofy generic action figure trailer Nintendo did for Nintendo Direct where the guy was talking to his grandpa without a headset, both video chat and while he was playing the game?

Was that trailer just bullshit?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Quest For Glory II posted:

Thing is that it's really starting to look like it. I'm gonna need something more concrete than "Some guy from Nintendo told kotaku" before making any conclusions but at the same time Nintendo is so loving slow on this poo poo it'll be November 17th and they'll clear it up.

EDIT: Or, more likely, we'll find out the hard way on release.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Oct 18, 2012

Liam Acerbus
Sep 17, 2007

I could imagine a bunch of button clicking, hand shuffling, etc. getting annoying if you're using the built in mic for two-way communications.

EDIT: and feedback from the TV, maybe? It's like those jerks that use a laptop's built in mic to Skype. You hear everything in their room and the speakers.

Liam Acerbus fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Oct 18, 2012

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Liam Acerbus posted:

EDIT: and feedback from the TV, maybe? It's like those jerks that use a laptop's built in mic to Skype. You hear everything in their room and the speakers.

Yeah but those are basically designed to be shotgun mics. The mic on the controller could be held close to the user's mouth hole.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Vaerai Archon posted:

Like what would be too expensive in terms of what games? Looking at the Wii's library I really have to say that nothing was really over the top. Infact a large portion of the library went ignored and prices for alot of nitche games became incredibly affordable.

You can get Dragon's Lair trilogy and Mad Dog McCree Trilogy for less than 20 bucks in total. Those are 6 of the best Laserdisc games in existance(there's only around 30 LD games in total). Ultimate Shooting collection can be had for 5-10 dollars and that contains 3 rather good quality shooters that are perfect ports of their originals. Metal Slug Anthology can run you 10-20 bucks but they're 7 or so games on a single disc that have no issues with the ports.

The Ultimate Shooting Collection doesn't contain perfect ports, the Metal Slug Anthology has control issues and the ROMs have been edited to remove hitflashes, laserdisc loving sucks.

Liam Acerbus
Sep 17, 2007

Bobnumerotres posted:

Yeah but those are basically designed to be shotgun mics. The mic on the controller could be held close to the user's mouth hole.

Well maybe I don't wanna hold it up to my mouth hole every time I speak. :colbert:

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

Liam Acerbus posted:

Well maybe I don't wanna hold it up to my mouth hole every time I speak. :colbert:

I don't when I play my vita, and the drat thing picks up almost every rustle and fart. Probably going to have the same sort of Mic on the Wii U.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

the guy was talking to his grandpa without a headset

I couldn't stop thinking about the creepy difference between what anonymous video chat was used for in the trailer and what it'd really be like.

The trailer is almost certainly the equivalent of early concept art. Voice chat in games, and wireless headsets eventually, are a pretty safe bet. Pausing a game for instant video chat with anyone in the game-specific forums using your controller... probably not. Even if it's a thing that actually exists there's a good chance that it'll be just as feasible as using a WiiSpeak.

All I got from that kotaku article (aside from it's kotaku-ness) was that Nintendo has a handful of licensed headsets at launch and they're all wired.

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...

There must be some confusion with the voice chat thing. Would you need a headset for video chat???? Does anyone remember that goofy generic action figure trailer Nintendo did for Nintendo Direct where the guy was talking to his grandpa without a headset, both video chat and while he was playing the game?

I don't recall him talking to "grandpa" in-game. Sounded like he had to go back to the OS to view Miiverse posts and do video chat.

Liam Acerbus
Sep 17, 2007

http://nintendoconnect.com/2012/06/07/hands-on-preview-with-the-first-ever-wii-u-headset-works-with-wii-and-is-wireless/

I imagine there will also be plenty of compatible USB dongle headsets to make using the Pro controller and chat more convenient.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I could never justify spending $90 on a headseat but if I did, that thing looks pretty sleek.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The Ultimate Shooting Collection doesn't contain perfect ports, the Metal Slug Anthology has control issues and the ROMs have been edited to remove hitflashes, laserdisc loving sucks.

I thought the Metal Slug control issues could be negated if you used the GC controller? Because shaking to throw the grenade was bullshit. There is a fix to the USC's clipping though it just has to do with changing the menu options. Then again I played it on a 70 inch screen so many of the problems it had just weren't present on a larger screen.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Vaerai Archon posted:

I thought the Metal Slug control issues could be negated if you used the GC controller? Because shaking to throw the grenade was bullshit. There is a fix to the USC's clipping though it just has to do with changing the menu options. Then again I played it on a 70 inch screen so many of the problems it had just weren't present on a larger screen.

The button layout on the GC controller is questionable (similar to the odd reversal of the Mega Man Anniversary Collection). The best way to play these games at home if you don't have a Neo Geo is to either get them off the Virtual Console, though this of course adds up, or to get the PS2 version of Metal Slug Anthology. If you only care about the best ones, 1/X/3, You could get X/3 off the Virtual Console and then buy SNK Arcade Classics Volume 1 for the Wii as it has a great port of the original Metal Slug along with great ports of Shock Troopers, Last Resort, Magician Lord, and several other great early Neo Geo games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich
So I just back from trying out Rayman Legends at a Gamestop. Game looks amazing. A shame that the gamepad is basically the least comfortable controller I have held that isn't some sort of third party monstrosity. Maybe if I could spend more than 15 minutes with it I could get used to it? At this point I feel I should avoid playing games that require it. The 3ds and the XL are uncomfortable enough for me to hold after an hour or so. I can't see myself wanting the gamepad for extended play sessions.

• Locked thread