Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

greazeball posted:

Any advice for coping with tinitus? I just moved to a really quiet house and at night the ringing is really loud. :(

Always wear earplugs when you go to concerts >;_;<

Turn a fan on when you go to bed, helps keep you cool and provides a little white noise?

Fart Jockey posted:

Someone who absolutely hates my guts is going to become a nurse soon. I know it's against the rules, but she is not above accessing my records if she can. My concern is, can a nurse access my records on a database? (I live in Ontario, Canada by the way) Most importantly, if she does this will she be caught? I can't find anything on this for Ontario, and I don't know how the system works or if its being monitored to prevent this kind of thing.

Couple pages ago but were you a patient at the hospital she'll be working at? She'll get enough HIPAA warnings to make her think twice, and chances are as just a nurse, looking up random people will toss up a bunch of red flags.

fake edit: just saw you were in Canada, I'm sure there's a HIPAA equilvalent but who knows how strict it is. I doubt there's a giant NursesDatabase.cn thing where she can log in and see everyone's medical history just because she's a nurse though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

What year was this? Might help narrow down the test.

Oops, meant to include this. 2003 or so. Give or take a few years because I can't remember how old I was, just pretty sure it was 7th or 8th grade but might have been earlier. Definitely not high school years.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

When I turn out the lights to go to sleep at night about 30 seconds after I turn them out I hear a loud click from the hallway near my room. I also hear a similar click if I turn the lights back on, or turns AC comes on/off. I'm guessing this has something to do with switching to a low power mode when nothing is using power, but I've never heard of anything like this. Note, its not the circuit breaker itself, I'm two floors away from that. It not a single circuit on the breaker either since I'm pretty sure the AC is on a different one than the lights in my room. Its also not that no power is being used, even before vampire losses I've got my computer in sleep, clocks, and phone/mp3 player changers going. All those are probably 100W max compare to the 1000s of lights or AC though.

It's not really annoying, I'm just curious.

Xenoborg fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 18, 2012

doczoid
Mar 14, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

buttopticor posted:

If you want one thing manufactured, and it's as simple as a lens cap, you could probably get it 3d printed from some place like Shapeways or the 3D printing thread in SA-Mart. There's a 3D printer thread in DIY that might be able to help you out with other options/more detail.

However, you mentioned Kickstarter, and mass quantities would be a whole 'nother ballgame that I don't know much about.

Yes the whole point is for mass production, here's the project if anyone is interested; http://igg.me/p/257095?a=1636811

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Something's changed recently on SA. Every time I open a page here on the forums, it prompts me to download an html file from optimized-by.rubiconproject.com (an ad provider), both here and at home. I'm using Opera.

Is anyone else having this problem? And what the hell?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

tarepanda posted:

Something's changed recently on SA. Every time I open a page here on the forums, it prompts me to download an html file from optimized-by.rubiconproject.com (an ad provider), both here and at home. I'm using Opera.

I use opera and had the same problem. I put "http://optimized-by.rubiconproject.com/*" in the blocked content thing and haven't seen that prompt again.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

dokmo posted:

I use opera and had the same problem. I put "http://optimized-by.rubiconproject.com/*" in the blocked content thing and haven't seen that prompt again.

Nice call. I forgot about that.

It's obviously an ad provider fuckup or unacceptable ad content being provided to SA... in either case, who would I contact to point it out?

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

tarepanda posted:

It's obviously an ad provider fuckup or unacceptable ad content being provided to SA... in either case, who would I contact to point it out?

There's a topic in QCS for badverts, but I think choo may be working on it already
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3512570
Are you guys on a apple thing, like the MacintoshBook?

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?

tarepanda posted:

Addressed here

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Good to know.

My first time ever in GBS!

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
^^^ Oh. Missed the above posts :blush:

tarepanda posted:

Yes! I was just about to post this. And I'm using Safari. It doesn't prompt me, it just automatically downloads an html file every time I go to a new SA page. I now have about 200 of them.

FourLeaf fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Oct 19, 2012

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Sage is a kind of salvia and is used often in breakfast sausages... I'm guessing it's not the salvia people are talking about when they want to get high. Does anyone know the scientific names of both?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

tarepanda posted:

Sage is a kind of salvia and is used often in breakfast sausages... I'm guessing it's not the salvia people are talking about when they want to get high. Does anyone know the scientific names of both?

By going to the wikipedia page for sausage and searching the page for " sage" I found salvia officinalis. By doing a google search for "salvia drug" I found salvia divinorum. Apparently there are many other species, but I think those are the two you wanted.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Yeah; I was wondering if there was a specific, authoritative "sausage" sage since the wikipedia listing for salvia species says "Salvia officinalis (common sage), for example, has been cultivated for thousands of years, yet has been named and described under six different scientific names since 1940."

I just now realized that I misread/misunderstood that, though -- it's saying that one species had multiple names rather than "common sage" had six species. Whoops.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Alright, stupid me who sucks at life needs a job. No college, etc. I figured a good start would be applying for cable/satellite companies doing installs or something, so I applied for a Direct TV installer ad I saw on craigslist.

It was like 10:00pm my time, and I literally got a call to come in to put in the app/interview at 9 on Monday morning. It struck me as really weird they'd just call that late, that quickly. Also craigslist. Although he did apologize for the time and his excuse was "I saw you had just put the app in so I figured you weren't asleep"

The actual company I assume I'd be working for that is contracting the installs is http://www.dplus.us/contact.html (holy poo poo is that scripture on that web page?)

As far as I know they aren't asking for any shady "start up fees" mainly just wanted to know if I had my own truck/suv for doing installations which I assume is normal for that sort of work. I just need a job and don't want to miss any opportunities, yet don't want to get ripped off either. I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask in here. Any opinions?

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

BlazinLow305 posted:

Alright, stupid me who sucks at life needs a job. No college, etc. I figured a good start would be applying for cable/satellite companies doing installs or something, so I applied for a Direct TV installer ad I saw on craigslist.

Just speaking from hearsay (worked in the biz but not as a contractor), it's a really tough job and you won't make decent money unless you bust your rear end and know all of the shortcuts. From what I hear you get paid on a per install, so you can imagine what it would be like in the early days.

It's definitely hard, thankless work. Can't speak to the company in question but the turnover rate speaks to the position, in general.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
How badly is my job search going to be after being fired for inappropriate conduct?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

SlayVus posted:

How badly is my job search going to be after being fired for inappropriate conduct?
More details please.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

SlayVus posted:

For God's sake don't bring it up during the interview. Just say you weren't happy or something.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

randyest posted:

More details please.

I made a comment that one of my co-workers found inappropriate. The two co-workers that heard the comment, both laughed at the comment I made. They told no one according my manager. It wasn't until I was called in Wednesday for a verbal warning was I told that there was a problem. I was fired today(Thursday) for inappropriate conduct.

I wrote and turned in a formal apology today before I realized I was about to be fired.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Oct 19, 2012

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

SlayVus posted:

I wrote and turned in a formal apology today before I realized I was about to be fired.

Nope, what you wrote was a confession that allowed them to fire you and then use as leverage in any lawsuit or unemployment hearing that you bring against them.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

VendaGoat posted:

Nope, what you wrote was a confession that allowed them to fire you and then use as leverage in any lawsuit or unemployment hearing that you bring against them.

Separation notice was already signed and dated Wednesday before I even walked in the door today.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

SlayVus posted:

I made a comment that one of my co-workers found inappropriate. The two co-workers that heard the comment, both laughed at the comment I made. They told no one according my manager. It wasn't until I was called in Wednesday for a verbal warning was I told that there was a problem. I was fired today(Thursday) for inappropriate conduct.

Assuming you live in the US, and in one of the "at-will" employment states, they can fire you for anything except stuff protected by title 7 (race, religion, sex, color, national origin) or they can fire you for no reason at all. So they're in the clear on the firing, but things get murkier when we get to what they can tell others about why you were fired. Or even if they can (or should) say you were fired.

Generally, most US employers will only tell your new prospective employer (1) that you did actually work there, (2) when you worked there (start/end date), (3) maybe start/end salary, and (4) super maybe if you're eligible for re-hire or not. They will only tell any of these things if your prospective new employer actually asks for each bit of info, which is not a certainty.

If you don't use them as a reference or a date filler on your resume no one will ever know, but then you have to deal with that hole in your employment history on your resume. If you do use them as a reference, you should assume they will share (1) and (2), maybe (3), and kinda possibly maybe but I doubt it (4). They almost certainly won't tell what you said or the details of your firing, as that would open them up to lawsuits for no good reason / gain on their part. But if you use them as a reference you'll almost certainly be asked why you left, and that could be an awkward position for you.

If you're not in the US some or all of this is probably completely wrong.

And I'm dying to know so I have to ask: what did you say?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

SlayVus posted:

Separation notice was already signed and dated Wednesday before I even walked in the door today.

Then you said something in the interview that gave them grounds to fire you, they simply wanted you to admit to it and have a hard copy.

Youtube clip about not talking to Police.
It can also be applied to writing up any sort of confession, to anyone.

VendaGoat fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Oct 19, 2012

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
This has been bugging the hell out of me. In When I right-click on the link below and open it in a new tab, it automatically closes itself after I click on the page or in the URL bar. What is causing this, and how do I disable it?

http://www.scran.ac.uk/packs/exhibitions/learning_materials/webs/40/triglycerides.htm

Demonicpoodle
Jul 9, 2012

Something inside me calls out passionately to the landscape I saw - the end of the sea of corruption to which you led me.
I really need to broaden my video game repertoire but I have a lot of other hobbies, a job, the works.

Say I only have an hour or two a day to spend on video games. If I was using that to solely get through the main meat of the game (whether that be a storyline or whatever; so getting 100% is just not something I'm going to do with my time constraints), could I complete a lot of video games in a given year? One hour a day would give me roughly 365 yearly hours, two hours a day double that. Also, I would only be spending that hour on new content (so I really would not want to die a lot).

The problem with this is I really don't know the average length of video games (where Campaign mode, the main story mode, etc. are concerned). I'm guessing about 20 hours?

Thanks in advance for answering this especially stupid question.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
That's like saying "I have an hour a day, how many books can I read in a year?"

It's impossible to tell. You could read a few hundred Goosebumps books or maybe three books like War and Peace. Who knows. How quickly do you pick up game mechanics? What kinds of games are you playing? Are they puzzle-intensive? Do you use guides? Can you solve puzzles quickly? Do you save often?

Edit: And worse still... what about games like Minecraft? When have you "completed" that?

Demonicpoodle
Jul 9, 2012

Something inside me calls out passionately to the landscape I saw - the end of the sea of corruption to which you led me.

tarepanda posted:

That's like saying "I have an hour a day, how many books can I read in a year?"

It's impossible to tell. You could read a few hundred Goosebumps books or maybe three books like War and Peace. Who knows. How quickly do you pick up game mechanics? What kinds of games are you playing? Are they puzzle-intensive? Do you use guides? Can you solve puzzles quickly? Do you save often?

Edit: And worse still... what about games like Minecraft? When have you "completed" that?

I pick up game mechanics usually very quickly- if I don't understand something in that vein I just google it. I'm going to try to avoid games like Civilization, Age of Empires, Minecraft, etc. in that hour or two: those will be in a separate time of the day, not the part where I complete new content (so they're not included in the 1-2 hours) and they'll have perhaps 30 mins. devoted to them.

I'm willing to play anything as long as it has some goal and "CONGRATURATION! YOU WIN!" at the end or something. -Credits- Yeah, I'm shallow. No idea on puzzle-intensive. Yes, I will use guides if I get stuck on something. I save a lot as long as it doesn't take up a lot of time on the screen.

It's really just a question that only someone who's played a vast wealth of games can answer. But even then, it's a really annoying question to answer. If I asked them, I'd just say to assume that I'm the same level as them when it came to video game skills.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
It's not even game skill level... I mean, for example, if my goal is NES games, I could probably beat most of them in a week with your restrictions. Something like Baldur's Gate or God of War? Yeah, right.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
There's also the fact that there are far too many different kinds of games to be able to say. Like JRPGs? You could be looking at 50-100+ hours. Shooters? 4-8 hours is average nowadays.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Demonicpoodle posted:

I really need to broaden my video game repertoire but I have a lot of other hobbies, a job, the works.

Say I only have an hour or two a day to spend on video games. If I was using that to solely get through the main meat of the game (whether that be a storyline or whatever; so getting 100% is just not something I'm going to do with my time constraints), could I complete a lot of video games in a given year? One hour a day would give me roughly 365 yearly hours, two hours a day double that. Also, I would only be spending that hour on new content (so I really would not want to die a lot).

The problem with this is I really don't know the average length of video games (where Campaign mode, the main story mode, etc. are concerned). I'm guessing about 20 hours?

Thanks in advance for answering this especially stupid question.

Ed: gently caress it, just play games that you like at the pace you want to.

You don't "need" to do anything with video games, other than enjoy them. If anybody tells you otherwise, you need to stop listening to them.

Lance Streetman fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Oct 19, 2012

torjus
Nov 22, 2005

I want YOU to MSPaint!

Demonicpoodle posted:

http://howlongtobeat.com/

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

dokmo posted:

Put the data on a log scale:

R code
code:

#data
city1=c('Sydney','Brisbane','Auckland')
value1=c(1500,300,250)
city2=c('Barcelona','Seattle','Stockholm')
value2=c(7500,800,500)

#plot
plot(1:2,1:2,ylim=c(100,7600),log='y',type='n',axes=F,ylab='',xlab='',xlim=c(0,3))
text(rep(.85,3),value1,city1,adj=1)
text(rep(2.15,3),value2,city2,adj=0)
segments(rep(1,3),value1,rep(2,3),value2)
axis(side=2,at=c(0,50,100,200,500,1000,2000,3000,4000,5000,6000,7000,8000),las=1)

If you want to try this out, go to http://pbil.univ-lyon1.fr/Rweb/ and paste that code.

edit: giving it some more thought and playing around with different formats, I can't see a way of plotting this without using the log transformation, unless it doesn't make sense for the data itself.

I didn't see this before but this actually works pretty well for what I was thinking. At least I know for the future so thanks!

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Fists Up posted:

I didn't see this before but this actually works pretty well for what I was thinking. At least I know for the future so thanks!

BTW I thought about it some more and came up with this, if it gives you any better ideas:

code:
 plot(c(0,90),c(0,160),type='n',axes=F,ylab='',xlab='')
 polygon(c(0,value22[1],value22[1],0),c(0,0,value22[1],value22[1]),col='grey',border=0)
 polygon(c(0,value12[1],value12[1],0),c(0,0,value12[1],value12[1]),col='beige',border=0)
text(value22[1]/2,value22[1]/2+20,city2[1])
text(value12[1]/2,value12[1]/2,city1[1])

polygon(c(0,0,value22[2],value22[2]),c(0+90,value22[2]+90,value22[2]+90,0+90),col='grey',border=0)
 polygon(c(0,0,value12[2],value12[2]),c(0+90,value12[2]+90,value12[2]+90,0+90),col='beige',border=0)
text(value22[2]/2,value22[2]/2+100,city2[2])
text(value12[2]/2,value12[2]/2+90,city1[2])

polygon(c(0,0,value22[3],value22[3]),c(0+120,value22[3]+120,value22[3]+120,0+120),col='grey',border=0)
 polygon(c(0,0,value12[3],value12[3]),c(0+120,value12[3]+120,value12[3]+120,0+120),col='beige',border=0)
text(value22[3]/2,value22[3]/2+128,city2[3])
text(value12[3]/2,value12[3]/2+120,city1[3])

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?
Is there anywhere I can go to get reading recommendations based on books/authors I've read and enjoyed? Something like Amazon's recommended for you functionality.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!
I'm about to visit a temp agency about a job I was offered. I've already interviewed with the employer.

Should I dress up to visit the temp agency, or are my civvies good enough?

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
I always wore business casual (slacks + button up) when visiting temp agencies for any reason.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Jeffrey Colon posted:

Is there anywhere I can go to get reading recommendations based on books/authors I've read and enjoyed? Something like Amazon's recommended for you functionality.
Search for books/authors you like on Amazon and scroll down to "people who bought this also bought this..." section.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
I just upgraded a bunch of stuff on my PC and I am looking to give it a bit of a workout and treat my eyes a bit. What are the games currently regarded to have the highest system requirements (but not in a retarded unoptimised way) and to have the best visuals? The visuals thing is totally subjective but I am interested in people's opinions here.

I have tried all the Crysis' and Metro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

fuckpot posted:

I just upgraded a bunch of stuff on my PC and I am looking to give it a bit of a workout and treat my eyes a bit. What are the games currently regarded to have the highest system requirements (but not in a retarded unoptimised way) and to have the best visuals? The visuals thing is totally subjective but I am interested in people's opinions here.

I have tried all the Crysis' and Metro.
I think Max Payne 3 and Dishonoured are pretty. Also maybe Spec Ops: The Line.