Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

madlilnerd posted:

Has anyone been to Tapping the Admiral? I have been dreaming about doing a ale trail round my locale, starting with Euston Tap and ending with The Southampton Arms, with BrewDog and Tapping the Admiral en route.
Yep, fun little local pub, bit out of the way. It's also really drat cheap! Basically all those pubs you just named are very good. :) Here, fellow-goon and friend of mine Lloydy reviewed it on his beer blog. http://bitterbloke.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/tapping-admiral.html

Food is just simple Asian food as in many other pubs, do not bother with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

sweek0 posted:

Yep, fun little local pub, bit out of the way. It's also really drat cheap! Basically all those pubs you just named are very good. :) Here, fellow-goon and friend of mine Lloydy reviewed it on his beer blog. http://bitterbloke.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/tapping-admiral.html

The Old Eagle just round the corner from Camden Road station has a pretty good atmosphere, although the prices and selection are nothing special.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Hawksmoor Air Street is having a soft opening from 22nd October to 31st. Email airstreet@thehawksmoor.com with name, date, lunch/dinner, number of guests and phone number. It's 50% off during the soft opening so worth a definite look.

Thanks so much for this. Currently waiting to see if I have a table.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

don't you dare use the word 'party' as a verb in this shop
Oh yeah, the Hawkmoor burger is the stuff of legends. Have a good one. Take meaty pictures. In fact everyone should post more food pictures in this thread.

I'm really keen to try out that sushi place, Dotori, in Finsbury Park. Anyone advise for or against?

Spuckuk posted:

Honestly, I live in Highgate, and nearish to The Bull and Last

This is weird but you're not called Andy are you? :psyduck:

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Neris posted:

I'm really keen to try out that sushi place, Dotori, in Finsbury Park. Anyone advise for or against?

I went a while ago. I'm a bit of a sushi luddite but it was tasty, freshly made and you can see the sushi chef chopping and rolling away in the background. Nice mixture of Korean dishes as well. Good tempura. The restaurant is tiny though so will probably require booking.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
My wife has been to Dotori a few times and really likes it, although I don't think she had sushi. She has good judgment. I've tried once but couldn't get in.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

sweek0 posted:

Good to know. Now I just need to find the money...

pointsofdata posted:

The Old Eagle just round the corner from Camden Road station has a pretty good atmosphere, although the prices and selection are nothing special.

That's really near my house and the barman was really nice to me when I went in so I have that down as a good general pub. I also keep meaning to check out the Abbey Tavern as I live practically next door to it. So many pubs, so little cash.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Neris posted:

Oh yeah, the Hawkmoor burger is the stuff of legends. Have a good one. Take meaty pictures. In fact everyone should post more food pictures in this thread.

This is weird but you're not called Andy are you? :psyduck:

Er, I am, yes...

:tinfoil:

Edit: Is this Hanka?

Spuckuk fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Sep 27, 2012

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

Thanks for the advice guys. I am mental about Korean food as well so I'll have to try to make a point of going there the next time I manage to save up my pennies to eat out!

Spuckuk posted:

Er, I am, yes...

:tinfoil:

Edit: Is this Hanka?

No man, it's Nancy. Well, that's loving random as poo poo, posting in my food thread. :D

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

:golfclap:

Neris posted:

Thanks for the advice guys. I am mental about Korean food as well so I'll have to try to make a point of going there the next time I manage to save up my pennies to eat out!

No man, it's Nancy. Well, that's loving random as poo poo, posting in my food thread. :D

Thats entirely bizarre coincidence, hope work after Bangface wasn't tooo grim. I hid on the couch and refused all communication for two days.

For content, if you work anywhere near Victoria, and you aren't going here http://www.picantemexicangrill.co.uk/ for your lunchtime carb overload, you are doing it wrong.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

:mad: Worst service ever at Dishoom today. Table for six booked well in advance. We were seated at the back of the gloomy downstairs room, next to the toilets (when the restaurant was less than half full). Ignored for long periods of time, waiters exchanged and confused, ordering tablet thingy failed, half the order scribbled on one of our table napkins then random dishes arrived before the order was even sent to the kitchen (so probably a mistake) then ordered dishes appear intermittently with no explanation, again abandoned by waiter, powerful gusts of urinal soap stench from the toilets creating a delightful medley with the biryani and chai. Declined desert and again left to wilt. Finally got the bill, decided to pass on the 12.5% discretionary tip, waiter got pissed off and we fled. gently caress that.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
9 Course (vegetarian) tasting menu at Ledbury was loving EPIC as expected.

Checking out Orkideh on Finchley Road tomorrow. Anyone been? Never tried Persian food, but it looks pretty awesome.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

(Spuckuk, I thankfully got a massive headcold two days later and was justified in working from home, which I rather seriously needed. Maybe see you at the one they've just announced on the 21st in December!)

I tried to go to Koya last night, on a Wednesday at 9pm and there was a loving 30 minute wait. I am SO SICK of this no reservations thing. Honestly. I am never going to eat to try any of the restaurants I want to eat at unless I am fortunate enough to have days off where I can pop in for late lunch or whatever. Ugh.

Anyway, in its place, I had a very pleasant, cheap and speedy (and BYO to boot) dinner in Viet just down the road on Greek Street [I swear Greek Street has so many good restaurants] - I had the bun noodles, which are cold with hot toppings including lovely crunchy spring rolls, my friend had the pho and we also had some rice-paper wrapped pork lovliness, and it was only £19 for both of us. Absolute bargain! Love Vietnamese food.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Neris posted:

(Spuckuk, I thankfully got a massive headcold two days later and was justified in working from home, which I rather seriously needed. Maybe see you at the one they've just announced on the 21st in December!)

I tried to go to Koya last night, on a Wednesday at 9pm and there was a loving 30 minute wait. I am SO SICK of this no reservations thing. Honestly. I am never going to eat to try any of the restaurants I want to eat at unless I am fortunate enough to have days off where I can pop in for late lunch or whatever. Ugh.

Anyway, in its place, I had a very pleasant, cheap and speedy (and BYO to boot) dinner in Viet just down the road on Greek Street [I swear Greek Street has so many good restaurants] - I had the bun noodles, which are cold with hot toppings including lovely crunchy spring rolls, my friend had the pho and we also had some rice-paper wrapped pork lovliness, and it was only £19 for both of us. Absolute bargain! Love Vietnamese food.

I've eaten at Viet once and it was OK. I have yet to find a really good Vietnamese place in the West End. Cay Tre is pretty good but doesn't quite nail it.

Had decent meals recently at Rosa's Thai on Dean Street, and a few later lunches at Koya and Princi which are always very good. Nothing spectacular lately though.

Oh wait - Gail's Bakery cinnamon buns. Holy gently caress, those things are amazing. Expensive but so so good. SO GOOD!

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Right, I'm going to get one. I dig their caramelized onion asparagus quiches too.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Neris posted:

Walked down Charlotte Street in torrential rain on Tuesday, and there was still a huge queue outside Bubbledogs!

So unfair, my mum doesn't believe in queuing for food like, in her words, "Soviet peasants" so whenever she's around in central we settle for something boring like Pizza Express.

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man

madlilnerd posted:

Has anyone been to Tapping the Admiral? I have been dreaming about doing a ale trail round my locale, starting with Euston Tap and ending with The Southampton Arms, with BrewDog and Tapping the Admiral en route.

I went there shortly after it opened, seemed like a nice enough place with a good range of beers. I was mostly struck by their space-age beer garden, which was kind of incongruous - the inside was decorated with all the old victoriana advertising stuff taken from the Sir Richard Steele when it changed hands. NB I'm told the sale of the Steele to some bland pub chain financed purchase of Tapping the Admiral and the Railway Tavern on St. Jude St in Dalston.

On the subject of pub touring, I can vouch for some of my locals - the Pineapple (lovely old building, good beer, bit pricey), the Junction (also pricey, nice garden) and the Boston Arms (a rough place, lovely beers except the guiness, but it's very cheap).

Hey, while writing this I just noticed that the Grafton Arms on Price of Wales road is open again after a long refurbishment. Early reviews seem fairly positive, I'll go and check it out this weekend.

Mousepractice fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Oct 5, 2012

midori-a-gogo
Feb 26, 2006

feeling a bit green

Neris posted:

Dotori is a great place, but you should definitely book ahead (and it's closed Mondays). It's tiny and well-loved and the set menus are great value, as well. The sushi is tremendously fresh. I miss Finsbury Park :(

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Any suggestions for a Chinese/Thai place that delivers to N4? I have a poorly partner in need of tasty comfort.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

Bollock Monkey posted:

Any suggestions for a Chinese/Thai place that delivers to N4? I have a poorly partner in need of tasty comfort.

Oriental Gourmet is pretty good in my opinion! They're in N7, deliver to N19 for me so I'm sure they do N4 as well.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Bollock Monkey posted:

Thaitanic in Crouch End is OK. Not amazing but decent. Good corn cakes. I am in N4 and they deliver.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Finally tried the Harwood Arms on Saturday, as it's like three minutes from my house. It's not like I often go to Michelin places so I don't have much to compare it to, but I'd say it's definitely money well spent. Just, uh, don't go on a match day because getting there would probably be a pain.

Venison terrine was stupidly flavourful and redcurrants gave it a really nice burst, game faggots with lentils were likewise delicious and probably a good way to introduce game to the non-game-eater (if you are not a literal child and can avoid giggling at the phrase "bring me the game faggots") (I am a literal child), and malt ice cream with fruit bits was bitter as all hell, in a good way.

Plus they seem to serve gin by the 100ml, which is nice.

I quite like the more casual style fine-dine resturants like the Hawksmoor, and am after somewhere reasonably central for next saturday that's good but not quite such a hit to the wallet. Any suggestions?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Penguingo posted:

Finally tried the Harwood Arms on Saturday, as it's like three minutes from my house. It's not like I often go to Michelin places so I don't have much to compare it to, but I'd say it's definitely money well spent. Just, uh, don't go on a match day because getting there would probably be a pain.

Venison terrine was stupidly flavourful and redcurrants gave it a really nice burst, game faggots with lentils were likewise delicious and probably a good way to introduce game to the non-game-eater (if you are not a literal child and can avoid giggling at the phrase "bring me the game faggots") (I am a literal child), and malt ice cream with fruit bits was bitter as all hell, in a good way.

Plus they seem to serve gin by the 100ml, which is nice.

I quite like the more casual style fine-dine resturants like the Hawksmoor, and am after somewhere reasonably central for next saturday that's good but not quite such a hit to the wallet. Any suggestions?
Great Queen Street.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.

Bollock Monkey posted:

Fantasy in N16 is awesome and delivers to N4, it's pretty cheap too.

loki k zen
Nov 12, 2011

Keep close the words of Syadasti: 'TIS AN ILL WIND THAT BLOWS NO MINDS. And remember that there is no tyranny in the State of Confusion. For further information, consult your pineal gland.
Tokyo Diner in Chinatown is made of awesome.

http://www.timeout.com/london/restaurants/venue/2%3A15374/tokyo-diner

Free bigger portions of rice, bottomless green tea and possibly the best chicken katsu I have ever tasted.

I am still trying to remember the name of a place a visitor from America took me (I live in London, but he has been visiting for more years than I have been alive) - it was attached to a hotel, looked way out of my price range but was actually in the £30 range without wine, and served rare breed pork that was like tasting the god of pigs.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
Love Tokyo diner, been wanting to try Dotori as it's just down the road from me now but haven't managed it yet.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

This is awesome

(click for big)

Neris fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Oct 15, 2012

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Has anyone been to Bubbledogs?

Someone whose opinion I dont entirely trust here in work went, and described the food as 'monumentally lovely in concept and execution'

Not exactly a glowing review.

powertoiletduck
Feb 19, 2004

dance dance dance
http://www.beardtotail.co.uk/ opened up in Shoreditch. Menus on their facebook page or here http://i.imgur.com/8HsCT.jpg

I'm going to try and get down there this week.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

I've not been to Bubbledog but it does sound basically like a ~*zany gimmick~*.

I took this threads advice and have a table at Dotori tonight, so here's hoping! Quite excited at the prospect of Korean food. It's been over a year since i've had anything other than Bibimbap!

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Brewdog Shoreditch is due to have a Japanese food stall thing as a concession. Going by how they didn't pull punches on their burgers and pizzas at Camden I'm looking forward to trying it.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

Trip report:
Dotori in Finsbury Park was actually loving brilliant, oh man! So busy for a Thursday night, couldn't get a reservation until 9, but it was really good value, nice service, affordabe and the food was absolutely delicious.

We ordered the Set A, Korean and Japanese food, £26, was almost too much food for two. The maki rolls that came,usually as part of a set have cucumber or avocado or something, had actual tuna and salmon, and tobiko. The yukhui bibimbap (raw beef) was delicious and the tempura prawns were MASSIVE.

Only downside was the poor amount of beef, I think, in the beef noodles, but honestly, everything was delicious. Great place, really recommend it.

(Very yellow lights in there though!)

powertoiletduck
Feb 19, 2004

dance dance dance

Kaiho posted:

Brewdog Shoreditch is due to have a Japanese food stall thing as a concession. Going by how they didn't pull punches on their burgers and pizzas at Camden I'm looking forward to trying it.

I didn't realise Mason and Taylor had closed

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

powertoiletduck posted:

I didn't realise Mason and Taylor had closed

A lot of the staff apparently stayed on. Eh, can't say I mourn it - I never ventured there in the first place. Sort of the wrong end of town for me. But going by the nibbles being circulated last night the food is... a combination of pub stodge with Japanese flourishes (tempura and things). Not something I would go there specifically for. The beer is likely to be the same selection as in Camden, and that's an easier commute for me.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Wait, has Mason and Taylor actually closed?? I loved that place :(

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011
I've just booked for my birthday at Pollen Street Social - I'm going to have the tasting menu and matching wines... Incredibly excited!

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

Oh poo poo, this reminds me. I went The Cube Electrolux thing for a work lunch (the most amazing treat in the world) the other day and it was ASTOUNDING. This extrodinary glass building shoved on the side of the Royal Festival Hall looking over the river. Shame the weather was pissing it down.

Look at the menu!

Apparently it's worth £175 a head for a lunch like this. The chef kept coming out and talking us through the food, the wines were matched, the waiter would crouch and explain to us all why the tastes suited one another and why.

The best part was easily the salmon, my god. I spent forever working my way through that beautiful thing.

(Problem with a six course taster menu with matching wines and champagne on arrival is by the time you get to pudding you're so lashed you can't really taste it though.)

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

You know, thats a problem I could happily deal with.

EDIT: Jealous as gently caress FYI, the last work lunch I got was packet sushi from Tesco.

Spuckuk fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Oct 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Finally got round to going to Chicken Shop, and was much more impressed than I expected to be. Excellent food and it's astonishingly cheap for a trendy NW place - basically the same price as Nandos. Half a chicken (which was more than I could eat) for £8, then £3 for a side.

Also, from reading through the last couple of pages this thread is like a Kentish Town goons convention. Going to wander over and try the new coffee place in KTW station tomorrow morning.