Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
How is that assault?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I dunno, some butthurt failure at life construed it as a threat or something and made his life hell over it. I think that kind of litigious crap is bullshit too, but it's the way life is now and you gotta either be ready to deal with it, or avoid it happening.

Me, I'd just make sure there was no way a name/license plate/vehicle description could be connected with the note I left (i.e. no cameras looking that way) and do it anyways.

kastein fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Oct 19, 2012

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Nocheez posted:

How is that assault?
Since assault is feeling threatened I guess I can see it, I don't know how he won it but there you go

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Mercedes by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

this neat lil convertible was parked locally.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm not a lawyer but if its gone on his criminal record then that means he was charged criminally? So not really "litigious crap" as much as "got my rear end beat by the po-leece"?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
It went on his criminal record iirc as an assault, since the retard who couldn't park "felt threatened" by his note about their subpar parking job. I'll have to ask for details next time I run into him.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Bob NewSCART posted:

Since assault is feeling threatened I guess I can see it, I don't know how he won it but there you go

That isn't assault.

It has to be an act that would probably result in a battery, do that act willfully, a reasonable person (not the individual in question) would, based on facts know to the defendant, would think a battery would likely occur, and the defendant has the present ability to commit a battery.

Either you're being misinformed by your friend (convicted of something else, other facts, etc) or he didn't have a lawyer.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

kastein posted:

It went on his criminal record iirc as an assault, since the retard who couldn't park "felt threatened" by his note about their subpar parking job. I'll have to ask for details next time I run into him.

I really hate the world sometimes. Leaving a note is assault? Somebody has way too safe and easy a life (not that I live in daily fear for my life like many parts of the world do, but I think I recognize he difference between a note and assault.)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

nm posted:

That isn't assault.

It has to be an act that would probably result in a battery, do that act willfully, a reasonable person (not the individual in question) would, based on facts know to the defendant, would think a battery would likely occur, and the defendant has the present ability to commit a battery.

Either you're being misinformed by your friend (convicted of something else, other facts, etc) or he didn't have a lawyer.

Now that makes more sense.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I could see criminal charges being filed if he wrote an actual threatening note rather than just one of the generic "you park like an rear end in a top hat" ones. It wouldn't be assault but I'm sure some law covers that sort of thing.

Daveh
Jan 18, 2005

You know what? You know what you're putting into our bodies? Death! Delicious, strawberry-flavored death!
The SLR McLaren Roadster is pretty rare...

... but the only RHD CLK GTR roadster is even rarer!

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

Also, I wonder what the ratio of people who get the Cardinals plate "because it's black" is when compared to "because I like the Cards".

I'd get one because I like the Cardinals except I don't live in Arizona. Does anybody know if it is possible to purchase one of the display plates with 000000 on it?

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

DrPain posted:

Sweet car, but tell me more about your harrier. Does it fly or is it a display?

Unfortunately it's display only, the engine is on a cart round the other side and any number of instruments are missing from the cockpit at one time or another whilst the instrumentation students fiddle with it. It does have a screen set up at the front so you can sit in it and play flight sim though.

ash with a five posted:

You're at Cov eh? Is it still shite?

Depends if you're one of the cool kids doing motorsport engineering or something less worthwhile. :v:

We just moved into a brand new engineering building which is pretty sweet, and the new SU is excellent too. The place has improved dramatically since I started here, which isn't hard but at least they're trying.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

From the Halloween thread in GBS:

Pubic Lair posted:

My brother had a junk parts El Camino and apparently hates his neighbors so last night he had me come over and we got his front yard ready for Halloween.

Pubic Lair posted:

He really wanted to do a burnout down the road and across his yard for skidmarks but it was raining the whole time we were getting everything together so he'll probably do that if it dries up.

Dude sounds AI to me...

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kastein posted:

A friend of mine got brought to court for assault after using one of those. He lost and now has it on his criminal record.

Use them wisely and out of the range of security cameras.

What jurisdiction and what exactly was he charged with (if it was actually called "assault" the jurisdiction is important as they may have something strange going on)?

It's pretty harde to prove assault without two people being able to actually see each other or at least have communication past a note left by one party without the other's (victim's) knowledge. Most jurisdictions have some manner of "terroristic threats" or even "menacing" that would be charged for that kind of thing if it went too far.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Oct 19, 2012

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
*not being a lawyer* or intimately familiar with the case, it sounds less like criminal assault, and more like "civil" assault - that is it was brought to a civil court. Basically, the same reason why O.J. Simpson was not guilty of murder in a criminal court, but was found guilty in a civil court.

It sounds like he was sued, not arrested is what I'm getting at. I could be wrong, though. And depending on the judge/district/etc. I believe some areas consider "molesting private property" to be a form of (at least) civil assault.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That would make more sense, but the "on his record" part makes me think criminal.

Of course, civil judgements are also "on your record," so I suppose I shouldn't immediately think criminal.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
That's why lawyering up no matter how retarded something sounds is always a good idea. The system is not set up to make it fair for you; if you're worried about money you can ask your attorney to counter-sue for recovery of costs.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I like cars.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

PromethiumX
Mar 5, 2003

That man is a loving genius.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I saw a totally chromed PT Prowler yesterday, but didn't have a chance to take a picture. It was gone when I came back the other way.

So, cool story I guess.

Viking Blood
Jun 17, 2005

The hammer of the Gods will drive our riffs to new lands

It would be PERFECT if the bike was a GasGas.

scottscottscott
Oct 18, 2012

Root Bear posted:

Couple of my favorites from work:

Dream cars... :allears:

:black101:

Gotta love a '67 Chevelle. I have one ss396 with tri-power intake. Nothing like 1350cfm throwing you into your seat

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

:stare: A fuckin ghost stole your wheels

Daveh
Jan 18, 2005

You know what? You know what you're putting into our bodies? Death! Delicious, strawberry-flavored death!
A few of the photos I took at the Historic Sports Car Club meeting at Silverstone yesterday.

City17
Dec 3, 2006

Hot Wheels Van:

Thought of putting this one in the crappy thread, then came to my senses:

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

quote:

I want a set of those wheels in 18" for my car. I always run into a dead end searching for them, they look like the soft eights cragar makes. I had them on my old truck. I'd even take a 16" and put a bigger tire on them.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I think those are cragar D-windows, not soft 8s. Close but not quite the same.

I'm partial to the V-5s.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Landshark posted:

Thought of putting this one in the crappy thread, then came to my senses:

Probably one of the better uses of a Pacer.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Toucan Sam posted:

I want a set of those wheels in 18" for my car. I always run into a dead end searching for them, they look like the soft eights cragar makes. I had them on my old truck. I'd even take a 16" and put a bigger tire on them.

Diamond Racing wheels? They'll make them in any offset/bolt pattern you want.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

kastein posted:

I think those are cragar D-windows, not soft 8s. Close but not quite the same.

I'm partial to the V-5s.

Yeah, they look more like Aero circle track wheels than soft eights. The could be d windows also after looking at some other pics.

Sockington posted:

Diamond Racing wheels? They'll make them in any offset/bolt pattern you want.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'd like them to be at least even with the fender opening so a custom size would be a possibility.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Crankit posted:

:stare: A fuckin ghost stole your wheels

"Get out tha way, let Casper drive change your tires in the pit."

Thelonious
Jul 16, 2005

Soft 8's and D windows come as big as 17". Less than a hundred bucks a pop too.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Saw this Challenger R/T on the D.C. beltway on Saturday. Crummy cell pic but it was super clean.

Asshole Bicycle
Nov 4, 2007
This old Citroen GSA:

Has this dash:

And here is the cover of the owner's manual, showing it all lit up:

(Stolen from Bring a Trailer...)

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Seeing these things more and more is making me want one. The street cars at least come with ABS these days, right?