Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

ilikelettuce posted:

I don't know if the Scorpion is generally considered a good weapon, but drat that thing is way to fun to be ignored. I got it yesterday and ended up playing 3-4 matches just to see things blowing up left and right. Atlas was specially fun, as it is very easy to glue 4 mines onto it from pretty much any distance. Playing with a Salarian Eng, stagering mobs with Energy Drain, glueing them with those grenades and staring in contemplation as they were blow to bits.

It's not a good weapon, it's a great weapon. I did exactly the same thing but with a Salarian infiltrator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!

Psion posted:

also the Krysae is almost great again. If the N7 Destroyer takes it to a capacity of 4 (I don't know, I just promoted my soldier) or if they tweak the refire delay down just a tiny bit, it'll be worth it again for sure.

The delay is what makes it terrible...

We're going to have to disagree on that point.

Pre delay nerf, that thing was amazing. Post nerf, it stays in the weapons trashcan.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Gasoline posted:

Commendation packs are supposed to be awarded immediately now. However it seems this is currently broken.

Nope, my pastel pink-blue-yellow krosent sleep-headbutted his way through a bronze game, and I got my Eagle III right away.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

EvanSchenck posted:

Nope, my pastel pink-blue-yellow krosent sleep-headbutted his way through a bronze game, and I got my Eagle III right away.

My Kroguard meleed his way through a bronze game (ridiculously easymode; as a side note, the new Ghost hazard map is pretty cool-looking) and didn't get it.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008
Didn't get mine yet either :saddowns:

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Yay I'm a Biotic God :buddy:

I have to say, Krogaurds are indeed super fun. Getting a handle of purposely staying close to your enemies has been enlightening.

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009
From this thread on BSN:

Bryan Johnson posted:

Hello all,

Some people who have completed did not instanteously received their commendation pack for operation bloodlust. We are aware of this issue and steps are already been made to ensure that you get your commendation pack.

For anyone who has not yet completed it, restart your game, and all will be working normally (ie complete the challenge and get the pack immediately).

Otherwise if you have completed it, and have visited the n7hq before 10:45 PST today you should be receiving your pack within the next few hours or so.

tl;dr: If not completed yet, restart game and then complete. If Completed and didn't get commendation pack, wait a few hours and we will get it to you.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Thundercloud posted:

However missile glitching each map on platinum ten times would get you 70 points per map and 1.4+ million credits. So it could be that some people are doing that.

So were the latest refire delay tweaks successful in fixing glitching? I haven't played any platinum post-patch.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

ChaosReaper posted:

This is my first weekend bonus participation thing so I have a question. Do we get the commendation pack after we do it or at a later date? I just solo'd bronze and a krogan and got the 50 kill medal but I didn't get pack. Also I just Shadow and that is some of the most fun I've ever had.

There was a minor fuckup with the packs:

http://social.bioware.com/forums/fo...14576411-1.html

Bioware Guy posted:

Hello all,

Some people who have completed did not instanteously received their commendation pack for operation bloodlust. We are aware of this issue and steps are already been made to ensure that you get your commendation pack.

For anyone who has not yet completed it, restart your game, and all will be working normally (ie complete the challenge and get the pack immediately).

Otherwise if you have completed it, and have visited the n7hq before 10:45 PST today you should be receiving your pack within the next few hours or so.

tl;dr: If not completed yet, restart game and then complete. If Completed and didn't get commendation pack, wait a few hours and we will get it to you.

Kaizer88
Feb 16, 2011

precision posted:

They used to, pretty sure they still do.

I'm gonna solo Bronze and kickbox everything to death.

Two melee weapon mods don't stack. Shotgun omni blade is the highest damage you can get now (+50% at rank 5)

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I am completely unsurprised that the new commendation pack system didn't work cleanly.

In other news, to anyone who has played with me in the last two months: I finally moved to a new ISP. :getin:

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009
I just did the challenge and got my pack, seems that they're working now (on PC at least).

Zoran posted:

In other news, to anyone who has played with me in the last two months: I finally moved to a new ISP. :getin:

Thank loving Christ.

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

So for someone who's good but not great and has a bunch of low level weapons, whats the best way to make money? I've been just trying to speed run bronzes but only getting 15,000 is kinda lovely when premiums cost 99. I got lucky with the last few I've bought and got some cool characters but having all lovely guns sucks.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Run bronzes and drop all your money on the lovely recruit packs until you get a Katana X. It's not fantastic but it's just good enough to hold you in higher difficulties even with a low level character. Getting the crummy guns to X also takes them out of the rotation of showing up so the premium packs you buy later will have a a ever so slightly higher chance for better stuff.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
It's not too hard to tag along in a silver match with a high-endurance character like a sentinel or maybe soldier, and you get twice the payout of a bronze match with the same playtime. Or you can equip a sniper rifle and find a good place to hide.

Also, a lot of the silver weapons are totally worth maxing out, so if you buy a bunch of veteran packs you can do that and rack up consumables at the same time.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
I apologize to any goons who have invited me to games--every time one comes in, I'm either playing with friends or I'm terrified to accept because then SA could see how bad I am at this game. Even when I play high damage classes and have what I feel are really good rounds (few deaths, not much use of consumables), I get crappy scores.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Alter Ego posted:

I apologize to any goons who have invited me to games--every time one comes in, I'm either playing with friends or I'm terrified to accept because then SA could see how bad I am at this game. Even when I play high damage classes and have what I feel are really good rounds (few deaths, not much use of consumables), I get crappy scores.

Are you on Xbox Live?

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Did a solo run for the first time on Bronze, headbutted my way to glory with my Krogan sentinel. Got my commendation pack right away, which is a nice new thing they've decided to do. I am now the proud owner of a Hurricane III, which is great because I've been using that on my Turian Ghost and it's quickly becoming one of my favorite guns (and the only SMG I will probably ever use).

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Are you on Xbox Live?

Nope. Origin.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

Gordon Shumway posted:

Did a solo run for the first time on Bronze, headbutted my way to glory with my Krogan sentinel. Got my commendation pack right away, which is a nice new thing they've decided to do. I am now the proud owner of a Hurricane III, which is great because I've been using that on my Turian Ghost and it's quickly becoming one of my favorite guns (and the only SMG I will probably ever use).

This exactly, except I used my kroguard and also capped out my biotic charge challenge. Solo bronze as a kroguard is laughably easy. Think I'll do a practice run with silver and then see if I can tackle two gold extractions for Lone Wolf.

e: Also for anyone who hasn't used it, the Hurricane is completely badass.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Alter Ego posted:

Yeah I don't think any goons are going to complain about low scores as long as you stay alive and contribute what you can. Also it's really hard to get into your niche with certain classes, I didn't start grabbing the top spot with kroguard or gethfiltrator until I got a Talon pistol for instance.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Gethfiltrator is especially a weird animal. I like handling mine as a melee area melter but with the low health the geth have that's tougher to do on Gold.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

ChaosReaper posted:

So for someone who's good but not great and has a bunch of low level weapons, whats the best way to make money? I've been just trying to speed run bronzes but only getting 15,000 is kinda lovely when premiums cost 99. I got lucky with the last few I've bought and got some cool characters but having all lovely guns sucks.

I followed this pattern when I started.

Play Bronze game - buy recruit pack, leaving 10k in the bank
Play Bronze game - buy veteran pack, leaving 5k in the bank
Play Bronze game - buy veteran pack, start again

Once you've got a decent level and some decent gear and guns, move to Silver.

If you haven't got all the common mods and guns, either buy 3 recruit packs a game or follow the cycle above until you do. Doing the above plan will soon get you some decent uncommon guns and unlock the uncommon characters. As you're starting from scratch it should also unlock some uncommon gear, most of which is reasonably useful.

Uncommon weapons like the Mattock, Raptor, Locust, Eviscerator and Phaeston are pretty good, and if you are running shotguns you definitely want the blade attachment and smart choke at level 5, both of which are common mods. If you get a mattock the assault rifle precision scope makes it a sniper rifle.

The problem with buying PSPs is the scattershot effect. There is so much rare stuff that you aren't likely to level it up particularly quickly, whereas maxing the common and uncommon stuff isn't as hard, and because you're shelling out 5k or 20k a pack then you get through it quicker.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I woke up this morning with a killer hangover and a Mathemagician and SMG mastery.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Two Finger posted:

I woke up this morning with a killer hangover and a Mathemagician and SMG mastery.

Musta been some night. :stare:

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I've got the Graal and power related challenges done for Blood Pack but it's beginning to hit me how severe the character waves completed challenges are. It's the equivalent of 20 complete games each with five characters to get the banner which is probably going to take me forever and burn me out on all of those guys. My closest one right now is batarian sentinel at 77/200. I might go for one of the gun ones instead.

I just got it today!

everybody know i'm a muthafuckin monster etc.

I actually finished all the weapon ones bar Sniper by switching my guns up while playing only Blood Pack characters. I think I might go for Sniper but it would be cool if there was one for getting all 5 weapon mastery challenges. Something like Arms Master or whatever I don't know.

What's interesting is that after playing only as crazy tough Blood Pack characters for ages I only just found out how fragile everything else is since the health gate change or whatever it was. If your shields go down while you're out in the open now you're basically dead.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

What exactly is the yellow ranking number that shows up in the lobbies anyway? I know N7 is levels of characters + promotions, and the blue thing is number of promotions on that class.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Cowcaster posted:

What exactly is the yellow ranking number that shows up in the lobbies anyway? I know N7 is levels of characters + promotions, and the blue thing is number of promotions on that class.

Challenge points, I believe.

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

Thundercloud posted:

I followed this pattern when I started.

Play Bronze game - buy recruit pack, leaving 10k in the bank
Play Bronze game - buy veteran pack, leaving 5k in the bank
Play Bronze game - buy veteran pack, start again

Once you've got a decent level and some decent gear and guns, move to Silver.

If you haven't got all the common mods and guns, either buy 3 recruit packs a game or follow the cycle above until you do. Doing the above plan will soon get you some decent uncommon guns and unlock the uncommon characters. As you're starting from scratch it should also unlock some uncommon gear, most of which is reasonably useful.

Uncommon weapons like the Mattock, Raptor, Locust, Eviscerator and Phaeston are pretty good, and if you are running shotguns you definitely want the blade attachment and smart choke at level 5, both of which are common mods. If you get a mattock the assault rifle precision scope makes it a sniper rifle.

The problem with buying PSPs is the scattershot effect. There is so much rare stuff that you aren't likely to level it up particularly quickly, whereas maxing the common and uncommon stuff isn't as hard, and because you're shelling out 5k or 20k a pack then you get through it quicker.

I'm not starting from scratch exactly but I'm still gonna follow this advice cause it seems a whole lot smarter than what I was doing. I've actually gotten a lot of classes through the PSPs but I don't have the guns to feel as useful as I should on silver. I wanna move up to gold eventually but pubbies and my kinda spazness keeps me out. I was playing with people in the xbox meta when the game first came out and that was awesome but I got kinda burnt out on it.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
The yellow number is challenge points.

Alter Ego posted:

Hey, next time I'm on, I'll add you and invite you to a game so you come off better by comparison.

Reverend Jake
Sep 2, 2011

Alter Ego posted:

You're welcome to play with me any time. I'm in the process of trying to exhibit to all of SA just how bad I am.

And just as a side :rant:, SilverAlicorn understands not to shoot the Geth that I've just sabotaged. Pubbies, alas, do not. So on my last round last night, I just slid around to little-used corners of the map and sabotaged random Geth stragglers.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Add goons and just play gold. Nobody cares how bad you are, really. If you revive the players who are carrying you and use consumables when poo poo gets real then you're a better teammate than 75% of pubbies already.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Gordon Shumway posted:

Why are you using an SMG on a class specifically geared towards assault rifle damage? :raise:

The Hurricane, of course, is the only SMG you should ever use, it's true. But Ghost is the one class where ARs truly shine. Collector Rifle, Harrier, Phaeston even, you put it on a Ghost and it'll be great.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Best weekend challenge. Best commendation pack. Best new system for delivering them. This is the first pack I've redeemed without having to contact support to have it triggered.

:dance:

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Reverend Jake posted:

You're welcome to play with me any time. I'm in the process of trying to exhibit to all of SA just how bad I am.

And just as a side :rant:, SilverAlicorn understands not to shoot the Geth that I've just sabotaged. Pubbies, alas, do not. So on my last round last night, I just slid around to little-used corners of the map and sabotaged random Geth stragglers.

Cool. I'm IsThatATitleist on Origin.

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

Psion posted:

Why are you using an SMG on a class specifically geared towards assault rifle damage? :raise:

The Hurricane, of course, is the only SMG you should ever use, it's true. But Ghost is the one class where ARs truly shine. Collector Rifle, Harrier, Phaeston even, you put it on a Ghost and it'll be great.

The only benefit AR has over SMG on Ghost is evolution 6 of cloak... and a strong argument can be made that being able to pop a free chain overload from cloak is worthwhile too. All the straight damage and stability bonuses are great on SMGs too!

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

Just snagged my Commendation Pack by playing a Kroguard for the first time on the new Giant Map. Meleeing Cerberus as a sole Krogan, on a map wracked by storms, was oddly fitting.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

I'd like to thank Zoran501, LynxEyedZombie, and I Don't Remember The Other Guy (Sorry I'm An rear end in a top hat) for showing me a good time today. :wink:

First goon game, of many I hope. Goon teams best teams.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

ChaosReaper posted:

Just spam recruit packs until your starter guns are at X then start playing gold with goons whenever you can or at least silver with pubbies. I get pubbies playing gold with Avenger IV's and poo poo all the time so get that poo poo to X and :getin:

Alter Ego posted:

I totally agree with this:

Elotana posted:

Add goons and just play gold. Nobody cares how bad you are, really. If you revive the players who are carrying you and use consumables when poo poo gets real then you're a better teammate than 75% of pubbies already.

Ride some coat-tails on gold, don't play like an rear end in a top hat and no one will care about your score. Get the good guns faster, most of us are just happy to not have to play the pubbie lotto just to fill out the team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

doomfunk posted:

I'd like to thank Zoran501, LynxEyedZombie, and I Don't Remember The Other Guy (Sorry I'm An rear end in a top hat) for showing me a good time today. :wink:

First goon game, of many I hope. Goon teams best teams.

You're welcome!

For anyone who's semi-new to the game and wants to get their feet wet with higher difficulties, I'd be glad to help. Add me on Origin (Zoran501)! I just cleared out some space on my friends list.

• Locked thread