Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.
New Fumes just uploaded his cover of Moonchild with Wayne from the In the Court of the Crimson King cover album to Soundcloud. It's a free download, so go grab it if you like it.

According to Kliph, Wayne and Steven are both on Linear Downfall's cover of Epitaph, and Wayne oversaw the whole project, but other than that, the Lips didn't really have much to do with this whole thing. I guess Stardeath, Linear Downfall, and Space Face will be posting their songs from it online soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
I don't mind the reality show. I'll watch it mainly just cause I like Wayne Coyne as a person so much.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Moonchild appears to have vanished, which is a shame, because I figured that was going to be where they get to have the best subtle space freakouts.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

TheKingPuuChuu posted:

I enjoy the new vocals by Palmer, but the video is a huge letdown. What made the last video interesting was the variety of things that the female was bathing in.

I'm sorry but this is the creepiest example yet of substituting "female" for "woman"

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

the black husserl posted:

I'm sorry but this is the creepiest example yet of substituting "female" for "woman"

I don't know how this poo poo got started but I've been seeing "female" in place of "woman/girl" a lot lately and it's really loving disturbing. It would be nice if the mods made that probatable (especially in e/n).

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
I saw the Flaming Lips at Loufest and it was rad. That's all.

TheKingPuuChuu
Oct 13, 2005

Reality leaves a lot to the imagination.

the black husserl posted:

I'm looking at this now, and I have no idea why I said that. No idea.

Fame Throwa
Nov 3, 2007

Time to make all the decisions!

chem42 posted:

I saw the Flaming Lips at Loufest and it was rad. That's all.

I can confirm this, as I was there. It was my first Lips show and god it was an incredible experience. The best part was at the beginning when Wayne yelled "gently caress the rain!" and then on cue it started pouring down. He must be a wizard or something.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Fame Throwa posted:

I can confirm this, as I was there. It was my first Lips show and god it was an incredible experience. The best part was at the beginning when Wayne yelled "gently caress the rain!" and then on cue it started pouring down. He must be a wizard or something.

I saw them do one of their shows with Weezer during what was nearly a monsoon and it would have been a loving amazing experience if only Weezer hadn't been there. The rain and lightning just got heavier and heavier as one of their songs just got more and more intense, it was like they were wizards calling the storm!

And then Weezer came back on and my buzz was killed. Though Weezer fans were the true worst part of the show. Bunch of Long Island bros who just wanted to hear Hash Pipe and The Sweater song a million times and then go home, they had no respect for the Lips.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Weezer loving sucks.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm 99.9% certain that Wayne Coyne is, in fact, a literal wizard.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
I mean he's no Dumbledore, but he's an ok one I guess.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

The full 12-minute long version of Moonchild is now out as a free download here.

Wayne has tweeted some videos of the Lips' new light show over the past week or two, which I guess is supposed to look like the Emerald City from the Wizard of Oz. They also shot a video for Ashes in the Air the other day, so that'll probably be out soon, too.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Surfingelectrode posted:

Wayne has tweeted some videos of the Lips' new light show over the past week or two, which I guess is supposed to look like the Emerald City from the Wizard of Oz.

They debuted the new live setup a few days ago at a show in Big Sur. Here's the setlist and video:

Race for the Prize
The W.A.N.D.
The Ego's Last Stand
On the Run (with space bubble)
Is David Bowie Dying??
Ego Tripping at the Gates of Hell
Waitin' for a Superman
See the Leaves
Lazer Hands
Drug Chart
Pompeii an Gotterdamerung
What is the Light?
The Observer

Ashes in the Air
Do You Realize??

You guys will probably be happy to hear that there were no redundant singalongs, no dancers, no Jelly, no Yeah Yeah Yeah Song, and no Yoshimi. Pretty much everything I always bitch about. I'm pretty happy that Ego's Last Stand, Superman, and the W.A.N.D. are back, and the new light show looks great.

Surfingelectrode fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Sep 14, 2012

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Wish Worm Mountain was still in the mix. Always wanted to hear that live.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

WASDF posted:

Wish Worm Mountain was still in the mix. Always wanted to hear that live.

When I saw them that's what they opened with. :smug:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
They're never going to play "Lightning Strikes the Postman" again are they? :(

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

precision posted:

They're never going to play "Lightning Strikes the Postman" again are they? :(

I'd love to see that, especially now that they've basically got three guitarists.

I forgot to mention it before, but they're going to be doing an acoustic show for Neil Young's Bridge School Benefit next month. Sounds like it could be cool, especially if they pull out some old stuff for it. They're also going to be playing a free show at the Zoo Ampitheatre in OKC with Stardeath and New Fumes on October 26. Details here.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

CPL593H posted:

When I saw them that's what they opened with. :smug:

You and a lot of people, that was what they opened with for like two years unless you count the Sweet Leaf cover they do while Wayne's in the bubble. That said, I'm glad I got to see that song live- it was a great opener.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Surfingelectrode posted:

I'd love to see that, especially now that they've basically got three guitarists.

Yeah, even on the Soft Bulletin tour it was intense, they really nailed the terrifying wall of noise.

I'm listening to Clouds again right now and trying to find an essay I wrote explaining how it's a concept album with a very specific story, told in order. I'll post it if I can figure out where I left it.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

precision posted:

Yeah, even on the Soft Bulletin tour it was intense, they really nailed the terrifying wall of noise.

That's because the guitar for that song on that tour was all backing tracks :v:.

Steven played synth, Wayne played gong, and Michael played bass.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

precision posted:

I'm listening to Clouds again right now and trying to find an essay I wrote explaining how it's a concept album with a very specific story, told in order. I'll post it if I can figure out where I left it.

For whatever it's worth I would love to read that

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Slackerish posted:

For whatever it's worth I would love to read that

I never did find it, but the gist of it goes like this:

The Abandoned Hospital Ship

Scientists discover a formula that vastly increases intelligence and psychic power, begin to create a superbeing/starchild/messiah. Pretty much every lyric fits that, but especially "Now that it's conceived, the station is all settled down".

Psychiatric Explorations of the Fetus With Needles

The superbeing grows, and is influencing the world around him. World is upside-down ("cats eating dogs", etc) to the amusement of the starchild ("the king bug laughs"). Some of the scientists have to escape to avoid the chaos ("when the spaceship beams you up boy, get drunk fast").

Placebo Headwound

Basically the starchild growing up and asking questions, pretty straightforward.

This Here Giraffe

...OK I don't remember how this fit in. Except as another "little kid" song.

Brainville

"Brainville" being the code name for the laboratory where they created the starchild, and the rumors people hear about it, and everyone else wanting to be given the same formula.

Guy Who Got a Headache and Accidentally Saves the World

Finally grown up, starchild... well, saves the world. "He saves the day, watch his head explode", "the boy wonder, saves the planet but destroys his ever-enlarging brain in the process".

When You Smile

Now a "normal" person, starchild falls in love.

Kim's Watermelon Gun

...with "Kim", who helps him rediscover his powers with her "watermelon gun" which is probably a metaphor or something. She keeps him away from the media and scientists ("wouldn't it be dumb if all their atrocities were just forgiven, but she won't give that to them").

They Punctured My Yolk

But the starchild is found and taken away from Kim, who was getting scared of his returning abilities anyway ("power is the thing that drove you away from me"). He's launched back to the Abandoned Hospital Ship.

Lightning Strikes the Postman

The title of the song is metaphor for what the lyrics explicitly say; starchild tries to keep in touch with Kim, but the messages keep getting intercepted and scrambled or destroyed.

Christmas at the Zoo

Growing older, the starchild tells this parable. The animals at the zoo represent humanity, who has grown to resent him. "They preferred to save themselves; they seemed to think they could".

Evil Will Prevail

The scientists ("loving hands") kill the starchild. "The mother zaps you dead". Evil prevails by keeping the secret of unlimited human potential.

Bad Days

Wayne wants to remind everyone that even though being a human kinda sucks, you can dream and do whatever you want and your bad days will end, because the secret of being a superbeing is inside you, I guess. I don't know, I didn't really fit this song in because IIRC it was written before the rest of the album and sort of tacked on (Aurally Excited Version).

I'm gonna keep looking for the essay though because I put it together a lot more coherently in that. Yeah I take a lot of drugs and read a lot of Philip K. Dick, why do you ask?

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

So, you guys remember how a bunch of stuff from one of the Lips' storage units got put up for sale on eBay last year? Someone I know bought the 30 master tapes for the song "Should We Keep the Severed Head Awake??" (which later became Sleeping on the Roof from The Soft Bulletin), and sent them to someone we know who is great at doing audio stuff.

The result is this mixdown of the song, which has never been released outside of a live recording of an earlier version that was on the Fearless Freaks CD. If you're going to listen to it, make sure you read Wayne's liner notes first. It's a very weird, abstract piece.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Here's the first real track from that King Crimson cover album, which is Moonchild by Spaceface (which is one of the Lips' roadies' bands):

http://soundcloud.com/spaceface-1/moonchild

I like it. I think the album is all done, so more should be coming out soon.

Varicelli
Jan 24, 2009
Does Wayne Coyne ever sing like he does on https://thehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTqwe57ObFo? Is this even Wayne Coyne singing? ... who is it then? x.x

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Varicelli posted:

Does Wayne Coyne ever sing like he does on https://thehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTqwe57ObFo? Is this even Wayne Coyne singing? ... who is it then? x.x

It's definitely Wayne singing, but no, he usually doesn't sing at that register. Somehow, I'd never heard that song before, though, so thanks for that. (Even though I had to look up an alternate video of that track due to VEVO blocking your link in my region. gently caress VEVO.)

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
He's been singing in that register more often lately (a lot of the stuff on Heady Fwends), probably cause his voice is wearing out.

I'd never heard that song before though. That's pretty neat!

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007
That video is coming up as unavailable in the US, here's an alternative link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJCcVyDCiFc

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

weirdojace posted:

He's been singing in that register more often lately (a lot of the stuff on Heady Fwends), probably cause his voice is wearing out.

I'd never heard that song before though. That's pretty neat!

They used to do a pretty good version of it live.

The Lips are playing Neil Young's Bridge School Benefit tonight, which is streaming here for a $5 donation. I don't know when exactly they're going on, but it's going to be all acoustic and they're going to do It's Summertime and probably some other Yoshimi songs with Reggie Watts.

Also, that King Crimson cover album that the Lips produced is coming out next week. There will be a run of 500 copies on vinyl, which might only be sold on the Stardeath/New Fumes/Linear Downfall/Spaceface tour, but I'm not sure.

Surfingelectrode fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Oct 20, 2012

Varicelli
Jan 24, 2009

Jeff Wiiver posted:

That video is coming up as unavailable in the US, here's an alternative link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJCcVyDCiFc

I'm really sorry about that. I didn't realise since I am watching from Australia, and usually VEVO is blocked _here_. Maybe it's one of my extensions letting me watch it. Either way apologie.s

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Surfingelectrode posted:

They used to do a pretty good version of it live.

The Lips are playing Neil Young's Bridge School Benefit tonight, which is streaming here for a $5 donation. I don't know when exactly they're going on, but it's going to be all acoustic and they're going to do It's Summertime and probably some other Yoshimi songs with Reggie Watts.

Also, that King Crimson cover album that the Lips produced is coming out next week. There will be a run of 500 copies on vinyl, which might only be sold on the Stardeath/New Fumes/Linear Downfall/Spaceface tour, but I'm not sure.

That's a really lame wsy to sell it :(

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

I'm not sure how long it will be up, but here's the Lips' set from the Bridge School Benefit last night. It's Summertime was really great.

WASDF posted:

That's a really lame wsy to sell it :(

Yeah, tell me about it. That tour isn't coming anywhere near here. I doubt they'll sell 500 copies of it, so hopefully they'll make it available online.

The cover art by Brian Chippendale is really cool:

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
That tour is hardly a tour-- it's more like a few shows out of town for them.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Huh, I've always liked Golden Path, but never would have thought that they'd take a crack at it live. Neat.

So wait, the implication is that it's ONLY going to be sold in vinyl? Argh, need to get my turntable fixed.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
So... have we heard anything about The Terror beyond its title and the supposed release sometime this year? At this point I'm almost thinking it might be an early 2013 release.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Chamberk posted:

So... have we heard anything about The Terror beyond its title and the supposed release sometime this year? At this point I'm almost thinking it might be an early 2013 release.

That's what Wikipedia is saying

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Chamberk posted:

It'll be out sometime in January. The song titles that we know are: "You Lust," "The Terror," "Try to Explain," "Look, the Sun is Rising," "Butterfly, How Long It Takes to Die (remix of the version from the Strobo Trip)."

I think they might debut a song from it at the big Halloween show in OKC on Friday, but that's just me guessing. They'll definitely be using the new stage setup.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
One of those songs is the collaboration with the chick from Phantogram right? I'm looking forward to hearing that track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
I was kinda disappointed to hear that apparently Drug Chart isn't on the album. I liked that one.

But I'm still getting antsy waiting for this album. Just the fact that Drozd said it's his favorite Lips album since The Soft Bulletin really says something.

• Locked thread