Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rollie the Guar
Sep 12, 2011

You can't change nature, Jack.
You're free to play however you want, but you're giving up tons of points by not countering/coup de gracing. If you're gun killing every fireman, you're giving up several minutes over coup de gracing them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Fraction posted:

That chapter just gets worse, too. :iamafag:

Great! :doh:

I found all 3 of the memory cards, now I have to find the cabin. But I have no idea how to get to it. And it doesn't help that it's pretty hard to see where I'm going.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Leyburn posted:

I suck at countering and the only methods I have found to reliably set up a coup de grace take too long to be worth it.

I can only really speak for Urban Chaos at the moment, because that's where I've been putting all my time.

What I've found works best for me is to shot the zombies legs 2 or 3 times so they fall to the ground and then go in for the head stomp, it seems to be the quickest and most reliable way to get a fast melee kill. Anything holding a melee weapon can also be quickshotted and then meleed for an instant kill, which is super quick. And I've also noticed that headstomping doesn't work on firemen, so I just shoot the poo poo out of them and try to aim for the oxygen canister.

The real difficulty is when the soilders turn up, because there's often a lull in the action there and it is really easy to lose the combo, what I find useful is to shoot the exploding barrel on the bridge at that point for a guaranteed kill, and to start using your grenades to take out the swarm of bloodshots. The bloodshots are easy to get counters on, but if you are playing solo, missing the counter attack will almost always cost you your combo.

With the soldiers I usually turn whoever I'm controlling towards the camera and press the attack button for a special back attack which staggers them enough for a one-hit kill. It can be a little finicky but all the other ways to defeat one are way too slow.

ImpAtom posted:

If you're using nothing but Quickshot you're probably being ineffective against certain enemies. Quickshot is useful against specific forms of enemies but for others you want to go for headshots/weakness shots.

Really? Which enemies? Soldiers (which I take down using the aforementioned method), leapers (bloodshots? which are easy counter anyway) and fat zombies aside, I can't say there's much that gives me too much trouble using quickshots.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Great! :doh:

I found all 3 of the memory cards, now I have to find the cabin. But I have no idea how to get to it. And it doesn't help that it's pretty hard to see where I'm going.

Did you try holding down left bumper?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Tremors posted:

Did you try holding down left bumper?

Hahaha holy gently caress. For some reason, I used that a lot in Leon's and Chris' campaigns but I haven't used it once since I started Jake's and I kinda forgot it even existed :cripes:

Thanks for reminding me!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh hey, a scripted snowmobile section! This really is Call Of Resident Evil :haw:

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Fraction posted:

That chapter just gets worse, too. :iamafag:

I think that was my least favorite chapter in the entire game. Well that and replaying the first 20 minutes of Leon's Chapter 1. Goddamn that ought to have been a skippable prologue deal.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
That map is just awful, even when Agent Hunting. Also, stealth sections are crap in this game, unless they aren't compulsory.

70% of my partners die whenever we do Urban Chaos, while Steel Beast goes pretty smooth. Must be the overload of QTEs and grabbing enemies. :v:

For Urban Chaos, I prefer to quickshot the zombie, headshot him, and then do a melee attack. The shots won't kill him, but the follow-up will. For firemen, I quickshot, shoot the arm and then melee.
You can go straight from quickshot to melee if they are holding a weapon.

But I'm pretty sure you guys know all this, so :v:

gently caress dogs. I've got the timing of Bloodshots really well, but dogs just destroy me if I can't quickshot them fast enough.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rollie the Guar posted:

You're free to play however you want, but you're giving up tons of points by not countering/coup de gracing. If you're gun killing every fireman, you're giving up several minutes over coup de gracing them.

There are times when you can't really afford to counter/coup de grace (usually online when lag can gently caress it up.) Otherwise, yeah, the optimal strategy is to counter everything.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
Finally got around to doing part of Leon's campaign. Good Lord it's much more fun than Chris' and I even kinda liked Chris' stuff. There's just something about facing down all manner of zombie with a knife, I use it so much that I just have heaps and heaps of ammo for boss fights. Though, I wonder if Leon's regular knife swipe improves from the weapon damage skill or the melee damage skill.

If only they had only brought back the Red9 this would've been the best RE. :allears:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Wait, wait. Rasklapanjes loving resurrect? :stare:
I thought those guys just had some wonky post-mortem physics. Now I'm scared. :ohdear:

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

You can kill them for good if you throw them in a furnace or something but I found those enemies really easy throughout all three campaigns. I don't think I got grabbed by one once, and by the time I met them I always have enough explosive ammo to deal with them with no worries (well, or Remote bombs in Leon's campaign).

Also, fun tip against fighting Lizard Chrysalis enemies - If you slide into their ankles, even if it's just a tiny hit, you'll be able to stand up and do a grab move on them that requires a couple of quick button presses but usually 1 hit kills them.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

The Dark Id posted:

I think that was my least favorite chapter in the entire game. Well that and replaying the first 20 minutes of Leon's Chapter 1. Goddamn that ought to have been a skippable prologue deal.

Eh, at least with Leon's chapter 1 you can just blitz through it. Who on earth could look at that chapter in Jake's campaign and think, yup, this is the correct balance between frustrating and enjoyable. It just sucked.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

People seem to have trouble with Mercs, so here's some Sweet Tips: Shoot a zombie in the head twice with a pistol/machine pistol, and melee them once for an instant kill move. With J'avo you only need one headshot to stagger like in RE4/5. Also if you shoot a zombie in the legs, or they fall down on their own, watch the gently caress out 'cause them fuckers can and will take advantage of the camera angle and pounce on you when you can't see them. You CAN headstomp a zombie, but only attempt that if you're sure you can do it before they have a chance to lunge at you from the ground. Also, each and every zombie with a melee weapon will die from one melee move, as long as you stagger them first. Counters are also instant kill for them.

Bloodshots, or Red Leap Zombies, are counter practice. One counter against their leap will kill them. Flash grenades are amazing against these guys too, as they'll fall to their knees and you can coup de grace them one by one.

And finally, use quickshots as your Panic Button. Zombies all around you? Quickshot and melee to clear up some space. Against single zombies though, double tapping them in the head for instakill is always better.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Argh, just got a 149 enemy combo on solo mercs, but in a panic running to the last guy, I accidently action slid over a car hood instead of running up the stairs and lost my combo. :suicide:

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

You don't have to be in front of Bloodshots while they're leaping to counter the attack, you can easily be next to them and get the prompt to do so.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...
Chris's lack of a Magnum makes going through his campaign on Professional pretty drat tedious. The grenade launcher just isn't good enough damage wise or in close quarters.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

charismaslover posted:

Chris's lack of a Magnum makes going through his campaign on Professional pretty drat tedious. The grenade launcher just isn't good enough damage wise or in close quarters.

Patching in an inventory system to let you use any gun on any character and a subchapter select menu would be the best (but probably impossible) thing for them to do for the game.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Tremors posted:

Patching in an inventory system to let you use any gun on any character and a subchapter select menu would be the best (but probably impossible) thing for them to do for the game.

I always tell my friend this every time we play together. "It would be pretty cool if they patched in a general inventory that allowed you to swap weapons between the characters."

It's part of the charm of the modern RE games. I played through RE4 a hundreds times and each item I had a different loadout of weapons. It adds a lot.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Tremors posted:

Playing RE5 online, just to get my spoils from a chapter and hoard them into my enormous inventory was amazing. :3:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Did that dlc to play Ada's campaign co-op ever come out? I don't see it on the 360 store.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

RBA Starblade posted:

Did that dlc to play Ada's campaign co-op ever come out? I don't see it on the 360 store.

Wait, that's a DLC item? For some reason I thought that was unlocked once you play through all 3 campaigns. If not, then gently caress it. I'm done after Jake's campaign.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Wait, that's a DLC item? For some reason I thought that was unlocked once you play through all 3 campaigns. If not, then gently caress it. I'm done after Jake's campaign.

I'm pretty sure I heard it's gonna be free DLC, for what it's worth.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...

The campaign is unlocked after completing the other 3, but it is single player only. I believe they are releasing free DLC to add a 'secondary character' to the campaign to make it co-op.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

The campaign is unlocked after the first 3, but currently it is a single player experience aside from story intersections.

edit: ^^^^:argh:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh, okay. Well I don't really care about co-opping this game and I've been playing the rest of the campaigns single-player anyway, so I guess I can play hers that way too :shobon:

SolidRed
Jan 23, 2008
and if you didn't know.... NOW YOU KNOW - Christian Cage

Oh, okay. Well I don't really care about co-opping this game and I've been playing the rest of the campaigns single-player anyway, so I guess I can play hers that way too :shobon:

Maybe you can confirm this for me. I was playing on professional with my friend last night and we got to one of the 4 player story intersections and finally had another player join up with us(first time it's ever worked). He was playing by himself and then late into the boss fight another player joined in and became his partner.

My question is does the game then give you the option of continuing the campaign with that player? If so that is pretty neat and Capcom have done a good job.

I'm not sure anyone answered the question. No the hidden campaigns co op DLC has not been released yet. I am waiting for it to be released before I play it as I'm not sure if I would enjoy it that much single player.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Aww man, I just finished Jake's chapter 3 and I thought there was going to be some sort of ridiculous motorcycle vs. tank driving section. I mean it probably would've been horrible, but still funny and I'm kinda bummed they didn't include that.

...unless it's in Chapter 4?

edit: It is in Chapter 4! :laffo: It's not exactly what I thought it would be but it's very close.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Oct 22, 2012

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

There is no possible way Resident Evil can top Chris's campaign. It's impossible. This is some of the most fun I've ever had co-op, and this is coming from someone who hated 5.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Aww man, I just finished Jake's chapter 3 and I thought there was going to be some sort of ridiculous motorcycle vs. tank driving section. I mean it probably would've been horrible, but still funny and I'm kinda bummed they didn't include that.

...unless it's in Chapter 4?

edit: It is in Chapter 4! :laffo: It's not exactly what I thought it would be but it's very close.

And it is tolerable! :v:
It's a shame finishing a chapter as the guest doesn't count for the Records section. I did half of Leon's campaign as Helena in some other dude's game, and I received nothing for my effort. :(

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just beat Jake's campaign. How loving goofy was that ending? Even down to the music that plays over the credits. Punching a giant mutant into a pit of lava and then him coming back to attack you again was stupid as hell, too. But I still enjoyed it, probably because it was so drat ridiculous.

Overall, I had a lot more fun in Chris and Jake's campaigns than I did with Leon's. I think I'm thoroughly done with this game now.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan
Alright, so I wasn't liking the game very much. Controls feel stiff and imprecise, gunplay is difficult with not-so-damaging guns being a pain and I generally don't like the "same story but different angles" approach to storytelling. I sort of had a bit of a grump attitude because I didn't like RE5 much either. Nothing ever really clicked.

But, I kept at it and managed to blast through Leon's campaign. It got easier to manage as things progressed at a good pace with only a few QTE what the gently caress moments. It was tough but by the end, I felt like I had a good idea on how to melee things reliably and utilized proper dodging/quick shots/etc.

What really pulled it together was bringing in a random co-op partner online. He seemed to have a good grasp on things and the game gives plenty of fun ways to help each other out and work together. Lots of Praise/Thanks being tossed between us. It felt good doing all these things with another person, someone to share the ride with. Basically, allowing co-op was the best decision because it made all the negative things not matter. Had a lot of fun just playing a decent game with a complete stranger I couldn't even really talk to.

Off to do Chris's story, but I'm tempted to try it as the other guy just for a change of pace (and I hear good things about him).

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Just finished Leon's campaign, and the last chapter might be the worst thing I've done in a video game ever. On the fight on the bridge with Ada I was out of ammo, and the friend I was playing with was out, so I had to run around collecting 10 bullets at a time from the zombies that dropped. The zombies my partner were killing were dropping ammo he couldn't even use, so he just stood around for 20 minutes watching me run around trying to get more ammo while AI Ada just stood around being useless.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Just beat Jake's campaign. How loving goofy was that ending? Punching a giant mutant into a pit of lava and then him coming back to attack you again was stupid as hell, too.

That spoiler is Resident Evil as gently caress, though. RE3 was basically that happening every 15 minutes!

Totally agreed on Jake's credit music, though. Easily the most shocking thing in the game right there.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
People actually watched the credits?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Resident Evil 6 is seriously the game where nothing stays dead. I'm pretty sure every significant boss in the game dies like three times minimum before it takes.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

I found that pretty dumb and cheap, to be honest. I know it's common for RE to have nigh on unkillable (at least at first) bosses but having a bunch in a single game just stank of laziness.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Fraction posted:

I found that pretty dumb and cheap, to be honest. I know it's common for RE to have nigh on unkillable (at least at first) bosses but having a bunch in a single game just stank of laziness.
Yeah, resident evil 2 only had two "why won't you just stay dead!?" enemies, and even then you only really dealt with one of them per Character. I like Mr. X, he's a snappy dresser and didn't suffer a stapler accident.

I've only beat Leon's campaign and done Chapter 1 of Jake, but in Leon's alone we had multiple cases of "Just Won't Die", so I can see that sort of thing being stretched thin.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Chris has like one boss you have to fight multiple times, and it's all in one level. And you can't be too hard on Jake's campaign, because the Ustanak is really clearly trying to be Nemesis 2.0, and Nemesis ruled.

Leon's recurring boss was the one that really came out of loving nowhere and came back one too many times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Of the top of my head, these are bosses and how many times you fight them.

Leon:

Booby-Monster: Fought twice (though to be fair, it's not the same one)
Giant Fish: Fought three times (once in QTE, once on the shore as Helena, once in the clutch moment during the slip and slide)
Ustanak: Fought once
Simmons: Fought six times (Beast on Train, T-Rex, Beast on Roof, Zombie Chow, Fly, Injured Fly)

Chris:

Giant BOWs: Fought three times (twice in Estonia, once on the freighter in Harrier)
Helicopter: Fought twice (once on the roof, once on the docks)
Snake: Fought twice (once normally, once with the high voltage)
Haos: Fought twice (once normally, once with Pikapiers)

Jake:

Ustanak: Fought six times (in Estonia, on the plane, in the mines, in the streets, in the lava dungeon, on the cargo elevator)
Giant BOWs: Fought twice (you take on two of them)
Helicopter: Fought twice
Ubstivo: Fought three times (in the streets, on the docks, on the barge)

Ada:

Ubstivo: Fought three times (on the train tracks, snipe on the docks, snipe on the barge)
Carla: Fought once remarkably
Helicopter: Fought once
Simmons: Fought twice (T Rex, Beast on Roof)