Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Dr Snofeld posted:

Is FFIVDS actually an enjoyable version? It quite appeals to me but all I hear about it is how much harder it is, which I take with a grain of salt because FF games tend to be easy anyway aside from some ridiculous bosses, and FFIV already had Easytype.

If you want to play 4 the DS version isn't too bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I played the DS version for my first playthrough and I found it a bit too much of a slog, but I guess it's okay. I'd probably stick with the GBA versions just because they are apparently less of a headache.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Dr Snofeld posted:

Is FFIVDS actually an enjoyable version? It quite appeals to me but all I hear about it is how much harder it is, which I take with a grain of salt because FF games tend to be easy anyway aside from some ridiculous bosses, and FFIV already had Easytype.
Like it's been said in the thread before, IVDS is best for veterans of the game. You know which enemies to be careful of, what's weak to what, when bosses are coming up, where those essential save points are, little tricks to get an edge, etc.

I'm not kidding when I say there are enemies who petrify you right outside the first town. That wasn't a thing in the earlier versions, but you'd know by association that, later in the game, this is an enemy type that drops those kinds of status effects, so it makes sense. Otherwise, you'll end up asking yourself, "How the gently caress did I just wipe to some enemies called Eagles right outside the first town?"

The GBA version is good (and has my favorite script of all the versions), if buggy in the player's favor if you're averse to that, and if you can find an English patch for the original Hardtype or FF Chronicles for the PS1, that's not a bad bet either for newcomers.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Oct 21, 2012

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

I really thought the PSP version was worth playing.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

On your list, you're missing Tales of Vesperia, which is in my opinion the best JRPG on the 360, and both FF13 games which you probably know enough about anyway if you're posting in this thread, and Magna Carta 2 which I dunno if it's good or not. Oh and Star Ocean 4 but that game is terrible, don't get it.

Yeah I've already finished the two FFXIII games (I usually play main series FF games as soon as they're released).

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Dr Snofeld posted:

It's not that FF4DS is harder but that it's poorly done. You will encounter bosses that are easier than some random encounters in their dungeon, while others, like CPU, are just badly done. Hope you got the Spoon for edge to throw, or grinded a bunch to have rydia and rosa survive the initial attack while defending.

The DS can't do 3D models very well so instead of having a very high quality sprite based game you have an eyesore 3D modeled game. The voice acting is on par with Suikoden Tierkris.

On the other hand, Rydia gets a custom summon which, on paper, looks like it could be interesting if you go and max out all the stats as soon as you can.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I do wish no one had made 3D games for the DS. Did we learn nothing from the PS1?

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Wendell posted:

I do wish no one had made 3D games for the DS. Did we learn nothing from the PS1?

Yeah, we learned that they sell like loving MAD.

I can't tell if you're being deliberately obtuse.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The DS version of IV is the only version I've played and I found it pretty fun. I liked that enemies didn't just instantly die, though I don't think I ever used Debuffs (never thought to). My problems with the game mostly stem from stuff that was always in IV, the constant rotating of characters and Edge being useless. The only things I can think of that the DS did wrong were having to waste Augments to get characters' abilities and the music, it was pretty bad.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Playing a main series FF game without using buffs and debuffs is really like an extra challenge. Even most bosses are vulnerable to something or other. FFXIII and XIII-2 played this straight by forcing you to debuff many bosses especially if you wanted five stars.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Alternatively don't play IV in any form because that game blows.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wendell posted:

The current perception of anything that isn't 3D is that it is "cheap." It doesn't matter if the 3D looks like poo poo because the perception people have is that it is more costly (and thus more worth money).

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Dross posted:

Playing a main series FF game without using buffs and debuffs is really like an extra challenge. Even most bosses are vulnerable to something or other.

I really wouldn't say that at all. A turn wasting a buff that probably won't work is a turn you could've just smacked them. There are some extreme examples, but the question is why you'd ever try using every buff on every boss.

pocketbelt
Oct 9, 2012

HRAH

Evil Fluffy posted:

It's not that FF4DS is harder but that it's poorly done. You will encounter bosses that are easier than some random encounters in their dungeon, while others, like CPU, are just badly done. Hope you got the Spoon for edge to throw, or grinded a bunch to have rydia and rosa survive the initial attack while defending.

The DS can't do 3D models very well so instead of having a very high quality sprite based game you have an eyesore 3D modeled game. The voice acting is on par with Suikoden Tierkris.

On the other hand, Rydia gets a custom summon which, on paper, looks like it could be interesting if you go and max out all the stats as soon as you can.

Come on, the voice acting was nowhere near that bad. It was definitely some of the better voice-work I've heard in JRPGs, at least. I didn't think the game was that ugly either, the DS had plenty worse 3D games.

The difficulty was bullshit at times, though, because if you didn't go out of your way to grind for certain dungeons you'd basically be wiped at the opening attack of some bosses. The final dungeon was a nightmare at times with the dragons. And Rydia's custom summon wasn't too special either, you'd have to play a bunch of minigames for hours to make it worthwhile and even then the rest of your party were just better options.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Dross posted:

Yeah, we learned that they sell like loving MAD.

I can't tell if you're being deliberately obtuse.

I am saying they are ugly in a facetious manner, not presenting my market research findings. Get the stick out yo' rear end.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Momomo posted:

I really wouldn't say that at all. A turn wasting a buff that probably won't work is a turn you could've just smacked them. There are some extreme examples, but the question is why you'd ever try using every buff on every boss.

Because landing Stop or Petrify on a boss is pretty gratifying and will save you a lot of grief. When I was a kid I played without using buffs/debuffs and I felt like the games were much harder.

That one turn you spent casting Stop instead of doing damage saves you five turns you would have spent healing instead of doing damage. The encounters are designed to encourage experimentation.

Dross fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Oct 21, 2012

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Buffs/Debuffs can be pretty awesome in FF4. Slow is loving fantastic at wrecking enemies and works on everything, Haste is great for your parties, Berserk turns your physical powerhouses into lightning-quick wrecking machines, Stop and Break work on more enemies than you think and make tough battles a breeze, and so on.

If you've never played FF4 before, I'd recommend trying one of the other versions before the DS one, simply because as has been mentioned, the DS version was more built for people who've played the game before. That said, quite a few people here have played it before any other version and went through it just fine. Just keep in mind it's pretty difficult compared to the other versions and requires a guide to really take advantage of the Augment system, which can be pretty spoilerly as it involves putting augments on characters that leave the party.

Outside of the DS version, which is its own thing, the PSP version is the definitive version of FF4, though the GBA works great as well if you don't have a PSP. The US version's a bit glitchy with the ATB though, so it might be better to import the European version if you don't want to deal with that. Not a dealbreaker, but can be annoying. And of course there's the translated Hard-Type SNES version, though that translation's more vulgar for the sake of being vulgar. The PS1 version of course has load times, but from what I remember they weren't as annoying as FF6's or CT's.

In the end, go with whatever's most convenient for you. It's still a great game worth playing no matter the version.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Screw both my mages - gave their crystals to Rafa, since I'm doing a Unique Sprite team.
Managed to tame a Hyudra and a Red Chocobo, and both killed Meliandoul before she could break any equipment.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Francois Kofko posted:

Alternatively don't play IV in any form because that game blows.

Yeah, this is about the only smart move here. Play V instead! V owns!

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
Even a FF4 veteran like me was caught off guard by the difficulty of the DS version. It is a whole new game.

Momomo posted:

The only things I can think of that the DS did wrong were having to waste Augments to get characters' abilities and the music, it was pretty bad.

Criticism for the augment system I can agree with. There's just no way for someone to figure out how to use the augment system effectively (giving augments to temporary party members) without a guide. There's also the problem of finding all the augments when some are hidden in strange places. I disagree with the music point, though. I thought the updated music was excellent. The original FF4 soundtrack sounds very metallic and echo-y. The remade FF4 soundtrack for the DS fleshes out each song considerably while maintaining the feel of the original song (although the DS speakers aren't great for listening).

Fudge Handsome
Jan 29, 2011

Shall we do it?

Dr Snofeld posted:

As someone who has been playing FF4 in one form or another since 1991 and has beaten FF4 DS multiple times, I strongly recommend starting with the SNES, GBA, or PSP versions. The DS version is ludicrously hard. Shin Megami Tensei "wipe to random encounters" hard, "trial and error" hard, "you have to know in advance or have a guide open" hard. Maybe not romhack hard, but it's up there.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
I think that's a little bit of an overstatement. I played through it with my only prior experience being FFIV easymode and got through it with only a little bit of difficult moments. I only really had trouble with the Tower of Bab-Il mk. II and the final dungeon.

That isn't to say that the game isn't hard. I normally don't lose at JRPG encounters, but there were a couple bosses that had me doing some trial and error runs.

My only issues with it were the DS's ability to run the drat thing. It felt so slow a lot of the time... I'd much prefer a smoother game over super shiny graphics.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I'd say the opposite and say that FFIV DS is easier if you haven't played the previous version before.

The way the augment system is set up deliberately screws with people who have played it before and know the plot, and a lot of bosses are redesigned specifically for the tactic that worked on them in the original to not work.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If you want to experience FFIV in a way that helps you understand what people liked about it in the first place, then go with the PSP or GBA version.

If you want to experience FFIV in a way that is idiosyncratic and unique among RPGs in ways that don't always work, then go with the DS version.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I decided to spend some money and bought the PSP version of FFIV (it's like the third bloody version of that game I've tried) and I find it extremely enjoyable, RPGMaker vibe aside.

Are they actually using RPGMaker at Square Enix now or does it just feel that way?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

I decided to spend some money and bought the PSP version of FFIV (it's like the third bloody version of that game I've tried) and I find it extremely enjoyable, RPGMaker vibe aside.

Are they actually using RPGMaker at Square Enix now or does it just feel that way?

There'd be no reason for them to license that technology then adapt it to work like the code they've been writing by hand for over twenty years. They have real programmers there. The RPGMaker vibe you describe comes from the art, and has nothing to do with RPGMaker itself.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Bongo Bill posted:

There'd be no reason for them to license that technology then adapt it to work like the code they've been writing by hand for over twenty years. They have real programmers there. The RPGMaker vibe you describe comes from the art, and has nothing to do with RPGMaker itself.

It's not just the art though. I've toyed with RPGMaker quite a bit and stuff like the text boxes and fonts, some of the floaty-ness of the dialog shifting and the combat system upgrade feels like a custom RPGMaker thing.

It's hard to describe, but it extends beyond just appearance. It could just be that they used a similar design philosophy though.

Vinchenz
Jul 13, 2012

But trust me, I know that I'm the worst bastard here.
That's because a lot of the RPG Maker poo poo is heavily based off Final Fantasy in the first place.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Are loading menus instantaneous in the PSP version? I know that threw me off more than anything in the WiiWare version of The After Years. Well, besides the ugly font and traced-over characters.

When it comes to their recent 2D releases, SE somehow manages to make things even uglier in most instances. Hell, look at Dimensions. At least the PSP version has a distinct look, even if it's a bit unsettling. But then I've never played the PSP version, so maybe the graphics work better on an actual handheld.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah, there's something extremely weird about them. It kinda goes back to the RPG Maker thing, where they really really want to evoke the sense of old SNES games but it just kinda falls flat when they use modernized assets.

Bobby Cox
Nov 3, 2006

College Slice
I just finished replaying VIII, this time paying attention to the story (I was like 12 when I first played through it) and here's a question - what ever happened with the Lunar Cry? I know the monsters landed on the planet but shouldn't it have been an existence-ending amount of monsters? Isn't that why that old race of people (Centra I think?) died out? Everyone in Esthar was bugging out and having a hard time fending them off and I don't think Squall and co. did anything to help other than kill Adel and Ultimecia, yet in the ending everything's fine.

I can accept most of the dumb things wrong with the game but this seems like a pretty big plot point to not address. Hopefully I just missed something.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

It's a plot device to get Adel back down from space and show off a bunch of really cool looking visuals, and it's not the first thing in FF8 to fall into a writing plot hole once it's served its purpose.

That said, Lunar Cries do come in varying degrees of severity. The one in Centra hosed up the continent itself and completely destroyed that civilization, while the one in Trabia made so few waves that there's all of one NPC conversation and a few subtle hints that it even happened at all.

When we see Esthar overrun and their army having a hard time, this is right after it happens, so of course things are going to look pretty hosed up there. It could well be that it's just a matter of surprise and initial monster numbers and the cleanup's not actually that hard once their army grits their teeth and slogs through it.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
I'm just about done with FF13 (pretty sure I'm at the the last couple fights) and it's easily my favorite FF in a long, long time. I should qualify that with my general taste in FF games, which seems to be a little atypical (I loved 8, hated 9, and was lukewarm about 7).

edit: spells

Ross fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 22, 2012

Bobby Cox
Nov 3, 2006

College Slice

Vil posted:

It's a plot device to get Adel back down from space and show off a bunch of really cool looking visuals, and it's not the first thing in FF8 to fall into a writing plot hole once it's served its purpose.

That said, Lunar Cries do come in varying degrees of severity. The one in Centra hosed up the continent itself and completely destroyed that civilization, while the one in Trabia made so few waves that there's all of one NPC conversation and a few subtle hints that it even happened at all.

When we see Esthar overrun and their army having a hard time, this is right after it happens, so of course things are going to look pretty hosed up there. It could well be that it's just a matter of surprise and initial monster numbers and the cleanup's not actually that hard once their army grits their teeth and slogs through it.

Ah, I didn't know they could vary in severity. I also didn't know there was one in Trabia, man did they hide that. Thanks!

Ross posted:

I'm just about done with FF13 (pretty sure I'm at the the last couple fights) and it's easily my favorite FF in a long, long time. I should quality that with my general taste in FF games, which seems to be a little atypical (I loved 8, hated 9, and was lukewarm about 7).

Also thanks to you, I was going to ask about 13 next and I feel the same way toward 7, 8 and 9 (though I'd say I'm lukewarm to 9 as well).

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Mega64 posted:

When it comes to their recent 2D releases, SE somehow manages to make things even uglier in most instances. Hell, look at Dimensions. At least the PSP version has a distinct look, even if it's a bit unsettling. But then I've never played the PSP version, so maybe the graphics work better on an actual handheld.

I played Dimensions on an Ipad and I thought it looked fine. For some reason, the early screenshots made it look much shittier than it actually does in action. v:shobon:v

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

fount of knowledge posted:

I played Dimensions on an Ipad and I thought it looked fine. For some reason, the early screenshots made it look much shittier than it actually does in action. v:shobon:v

The graphics in Dimensions definitely benefit from a very high DPI display. That doesn't help FFIV Complete, though.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

fount of knowledge posted:

Dimensions would look better I think if there was an option to use low-rez text or something. The dialogue and menu boxes look really jarring to me alongside the otherwise TurboGrafx 16-ish graphics.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Goddamn, Adrammelech is using Night Sword and hitting me for 999. :argh:

I guess I'll grind up to 500 hp, and use a Half: Dark accesory. :downs:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Azran posted:

Goddamn, Adrammelech is using Night Sword and hitting me for 999. :argh:

I guess I'll grind up to 500 hp, and use a Half: Dark accesory. :downs:

You sure it's Dark Element? If it's the same one Gaf uses, it's probably the "absorb" element, and I don't think there's a way to cut that. Sounds like that fight is telling you to break his PA.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Dimensions would look cooler if they'd get around to releasing it on the Android store so I could play it on my rad Galaxy Nexus screen and not on the tiny junky ipod 4 screen :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

This is your punishment for buying an iPhone.