Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I have no experience with that one but I say go for it since its a good brand and it has good reviews

BTW, anyone notice breville's been going nuts lately by coming out with a zillion kitchen appliances?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Mr Kapu posted:

I'm sure there's some literature around here somewhere about making your own chili powder, but I can't find any. Does anyone have any advice about drying/grinding/storing chilies? I have a bunch of red chilies, cayennes, habeneros, god knows what else. I'd like to make a chili powder and maybe a taco seasoning sort of power. I do have a dehydrator and planned on using that but I don't know what to store the powders in when I'm done. I know you're supposed to store herbs in opaque containers to keep them fresh. Is it the same with chili powders?

There is this chili powder recipe on the wiki. It's good. Doesn't answer anything about drying chili peppers and such though.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

5436 posted:

Oh yea, does anyone have a butter cake recipe they have made that comes out super moist with good flavor? The last time I made alton browns butter cake recipe it was crumbly and not very moist (I used a scale and followed all the directions). I really need a nice moist butter cake for the Redskins game. gently caress you Giants.

A boxed cake mix isn't going to be a sin if you want something that comes out consistently excellent each time. Load up on frosting or grate some citrus peel into the mix to give it a different character. There's pudding in that thar mix!

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Okay, so this is my usual brownie recipe:
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter
2 oz unsweet chocolate
3/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract

If I want to make pumpkin brownies, can I literally just add puréed pumpkin and appropriate spices to what I've got? In my past experience these brownies are pretty stable and can handle a lot of tinkering, so my gut tells me yes. My only thought is that I might have to add more flour or they may never thicken up and I'll have something like fudge.

Thoughts?

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

RazorBunny posted:

Okay, so this is my usual brownie recipe:
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter
2 oz unsweet chocolate
3/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract

If I want to make pumpkin brownies, can I literally just add puréed pumpkin and appropriate spices to what I've got? In my past experience these brownies are pretty stable and can handle a lot of tinkering, so my gut tells me yes. My only thought is that I might have to add more flour or they may never thicken up and I'll have something like fudge.

Thoughts?

If your worst case scenario is pumpkin fudge, you should absolutely go for it. That sounds like a real win/win situation.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

NinjaDebugger posted:

If your worst case scenario is pumpkin fudge, you should absolutely go for it. That sounds like a real win/win situation.

I agree! I just worry that it would be too gooey to eat with your hands, and I'm taking it to a party. But if it ends up kind of squishy I won't be too sad :)

This is the first year that I've bought more cooking pumpkins than jack o'lantern pumpkins. The farm where we pick our pumpkins had a bumper crop this year, and there were so many beautiful Rouge Vif d'Etampes in the field that it was hard to stop at what I could carry. Clearly I need to get over to YLLS and pump up so I can buy more tasty gourds.

xcdude24
Dec 23, 2008
Can anyone recommend a jerk chicken recipe?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Well, pumpkin brownies are in the oven, we'll see what happens. I doubled the flour and used two cups of pumpkin, and the batter texture was very similar to the normal recipe. Fingers crossed!

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.
Did you increase the sugar and salt? The flavour may be significantly muted compared to what you're used to with the normal brownies.

Happy Abobo fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Oct 20, 2012

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Happy Abobo posted:

Did you increase the sugar and salt? The flavour may be significantly muted compared to what you're used to with the normal brownies.

Not the sugar, because the type of pumpkin I used is very sweet. I brought the salt up to a full teaspoon and added the usual pumpkin pie spices. Not a lot, so it's only a hint of spice, but I could definitely taste them in the batter.

These brownies are pretty fudgey and rich under normal circumstances, so I'm not too concerned about the flavor being wimpy. I'm more concerned about not being able to taste the pumpkin at all, just the added spices.

They just came out of the oven and they look very smooth compared to the usual, but a toothpick came out clean and it doesn't yield to light pressure, so I think I have brownies and not some kind of thick hot goop. I'll have to let it cool enough to cut it before I can be sure, though.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I have a prime rib roast and a pork tenderloin thawing in the sink right now. I want to cook them tonight. What are the best recipes for these particular meats?

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Is there a recommended toaster oven? Like a brand known to be efficient power usage wise.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

tuyop posted:

I have a prime rib roast and a pork tenderloin thawing in the sink right now. I want to cook them tonight. What are the best recipes for these particular meats?

Do you have access to Ranier cherries?

seriously though, as far as the tenderloin goes, just give it a quick sear in an oven-ready skillet, then toss it in a preheated oven until it comes up to 140-145 degrees. Take it out of the skillet, tent it, then make a pan sauce.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Femur posted:

Is there a recommended toaster oven? Like a brand known to be efficient power usage wise.
I don't know power wise, but in terms of usability and features I really dig the Cuisinart toaster oven I've bought several years ago. It toasts evenly and it has conventional and convection oven settings. My only complaint is pretty minor---there's a lip under the door's hinge that likes to collect crumbs and drips and it's kinda a pain to clean. The interior of the oven is easy enough to clean out---it's got a removeable drip/crumb tray and all that.

According to amazon I bought it a little over eight years ago and I've been using it more or less daily since then, so I'm pretty satisfied overall. This one is the TOB-165, which isn't being made anymore and has been replaced by the TOB-195, which I haven't used. I don't know if their less expensive toaster ovens are as good.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Just reporting back in, the brownies came out quite lovely and were a big hit at the party. They had a very fudgey consistency but were solid enough to pick up with your fingers without them going all mushy. I think next time I will spice them more heavily, there wasn't much more than a hint of spice.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

xcdude24 posted:

Can anyone recommend a jerk chicken recipe?

All the numbers here are mutable, so change them to your hearts content. Scotch bonnets are fairly hard to come by in Edinburgh, but if you can get them were you are, replace the 4 regular chillies with a scotch bonnet. Since making this recipe for the first time, I now just throw in these spices as I see fit.

Jerk chicken:

2 spring onions, chopped
4 chillies, minced
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp ground allspice
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 chicken legs

Blend all the ingredients together, and rub onto the chicken.

Leave for at least 20m.
Roast at 180 for 45m.

Oski
Oct 20, 2010

Everyone has their dream...
My sister made chicken stock using the left over bones from a bucket of KFC. Apparently it was really good and the stock was slightly spicy.

I saved the bones from some take away BBQ ribs which I was planning to use with some chicken carcasses and duck bones to make an awesome mixed stock but now I'm worried it'll just taste of BBQ sauce. Worth trying or should I chuck them?

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp

Oski posted:

My sister made chicken stock using the left over bones from a bucket of KFC. Apparently it was really good and the stock was slightly spicy.

I saved the bones from some take away BBQ ribs which I was planning to use with some chicken carcasses and duck bones to make an awesome mixed stock but now I'm worried it'll just taste of BBQ sauce. Worth trying or should I chuck them?

Do it separate, imo. If you're stuck on mixing them make two pots of stock and taste both and decide then.

Anybody have woodland themed appetizer/finger food ideas? It's for a baby shower and I think an aunt is making pinecone doughnut things or something and I got left with the actual food. Thirty or forty people coming.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Oski posted:

Well, giving them a good rinse under the tap should get rid of most BBQ flavour, I imagine.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
I've been thinking lately about making chipotle poppers by adapting a recipe for jalapeno poppers. I'm trying to figure out the best way to go about this. Should I use canned chipotles in adobo, or take some dried chipotles and soak them in hot water for a half hour? Should I even use chipotles, or should I just use jalapenos and put chipotle powder in the filling? I've bitten directly into a canned chipotle before, so I can definitely see why using an actual chipotle as the outer "shell" wouldn't be a good idea.

Speaking of filling, I'm planning on using cream cheese, cheddar, paprika, and maybe some lime juice. Then I'd just use flour, egg, and panko to bread it and bake it.

I did some :google:-fu, and the only interesting recipes I saw either used jalapenos as the outer shell or crescent roll dough (which I'm definitely not doing). I could really use any suggestions you guys have before I start experimenting.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

CloseFriend posted:

I've been thinking lately about making chipotle poppers by adapting a recipe for jalapeno poppers. I'm trying to figure out the best way to go about this. Should I use canned chipotles in adobo, or take some dried chipotles and soak them in hot water for a half hour? Should I even use chipotles, or should I just use jalapenos and put chipotle powder in the filling? I've bitten directly into a canned chipotle before, so I can definitely see why using an actual chipotle as the outer "shell" wouldn't be a good idea.

Speaking of filling, I'm planning on using cream cheese, cheddar, paprika, and maybe some lime juice. Then I'd just use flour, egg, and panko to bread it and bake it.

I did some :google:-fu, and the only interesting recipes I saw either used jalapenos as the outer shell or crescent roll dough (which I'm definitely not doing). I could really use any suggestions you guys have before I start experimenting.

I don't know how you would go about using chipotles as an outer shell for this kind of thing. Chipotles in adobo would be way too moist and wouldn't hold together, and rehydrated dried ones would be... meh. You're better off just using the chipotle powder in the filling I think.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
So I recently got a 90$ multicooker due to the product rec thread.
Manual told me to test the alignment by filling the inner teflon pan to 2/3's full and then cook at high pressure.

It said the pressure cooker would count down from the programmed time when the correct pressure was reached.

I tried it a few times and steam was coming out the sides and it never counted down, so I guess I did something wrong.

However, after this escapade, I noticed there was a kind of... dust left over in the inner pan. I'm concerned because the inner pan has been washed multiple times and was dried after I emptied the water. What's the dust, is it something teflon related? Could I have damaged the machine already?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Probably not teflon, but that just doesn't sound right. Both the dust and the fact that it wouldn't count down.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
I bought a pack of mixed chillies, but I don't know what kinds they are. According to the packet, there may be any mixture of bishop's hat, Scotch bonnet, finger, jalapeño and Hungarian hot wax chillies. I assume that's a Scotch bonnet I have there on the left, and that the three purple/green ones are the same type and that the small green one is a finger chilli... But honestly that's just speculation. Could I get a little bit of help in identifying which are which?

Appl
Feb 4, 2002

where da white womens at?

Bollock Monkey posted:

I bought a pack of mixed chillies, but I don't know what kinds they are. According to the packet, there may be any mixture of bishop's hat, Scotch bonnet, finger, jalapeño and Hungarian hot wax chillies. I assume that's a Scotch bonnet I have there on the left, and that the three purple/green ones are the same type and that the small green one is a finger chilli... But honestly that's just speculation. Could I get a little bit of help in identifying which are which?

I don't know if you'll have all the ingredients for it, but one of the best crockpot recipes involving chorizo and fresh chilies is Irish Pepper stew. It's a light summery dish. But first, lets discuss your peppers. Going from top to bottom, the first one is a banana pepper - it is called that because of the yellowish tint to it and its elongated, banana-looking shape. It also has a flavor that tastes similar to a banana dusted with white pepper with a mild vinegary background flavor, so you'll want to only use about 1/3 of it.

You're green one is your common jalapeno. Before using it, slice it in half and look at the juice and seeds. If the juices are fairly clear and the seeds are a nice shade of white, your jalapeno was domestically grown in the US and will have a milder taste (use the whole pepper). If the seeds are a bit brownish and the juices are cloudy, the pepper was imported from South America and will be a bit more spicy and pungent (use about 3/4s of it).

The red is a Spanish variety known as Rojo perro-verga or just perro verga. You should be careful when handling it because if you rub it too much, the hot juices can seep from the tip of it. This variety is a bit hot, but if you workout, they are great for you since the inside is full of protein. I would use about 1/2 of it.

That orange one may look like a pepper but it really isn't. The French call it du faux poivron. It is actually from the carrot family and is just an example of nature impersonating another object to protect itself. It has very little taste and no heat, but you probably wouldn't eat it because it look hot (use the whole "pepper"). You can tell the difference from a domestic Orange Pepper because it's dirtier than a normal pepper (grows underground), the stem curves the opposite direction than the curve on the pepper, and you see that hair coming off the tip? Thats the end of the root.

Now that you know a little about peppers, lets make some Irish Pepper Stew. First you want to saute off about 1/2 diced onion until it starts getting a bit of color. Add your 4 oz chorizo, and cook it until it is crisp. Strain the excess grease and add in 3 cloves of garlic and your diced peppers (1/3 banana, 3/4 Jalapeno, 1/2 Perro verga, and a whole du faux poivron). I like to count the peppers off as I add each seperate one to the crockpot - it makes cooking fun:). Cook until peppers are soft and deglaze with a 1/2 cup white wine. Reduce by 1/2. Now here comes the Irish part---------> Add 3 cups of Baileys Irish Cream and bring to a simmer (this will remove the harshness of the alcohol). Add 2 diced potatoes. Season with salt, thyme, a 3 bay leaves. You don't need cracked pepper because the diced pepper will take care of that flavor. If you want a zestier stew add the juice of 3 lemons to it, if you want a lighter stew, add 1/2 cup of tonic water to it. This helps aerate the stew and give it a unique texture. Finally close your crockpot and let simmer for 4 hours or until it thickens up slightly. Check your final seasoning and enjoy. :hfive:

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Do y'all have any recommendations for a good fall/winter sandwich? In the summer, my ideal lunch sandwich was:

Provolone
Turkey
roma tomato
Avocado

Then toasted on the skillet with some olive oil and basil. Now, however, some of those ingredients (specifically the tomatos and the avocados) are out of season and the quality of the ingredients at the local market are pretty terrible.

So, what kind of sandwiches do y'all make during the colder months? I'm sure there are a bunch of ingredients I wouldn't have even considered putting on a sandwich. If it helps to know where I am for ingredient availability, I'm in central North Carolina. Note: I'm not a fan of mayo.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
I found a recipe once for a killer chili chicken verde - it involved tons of tomatillos, serrano peppers, and I remember it had you boil the tomatillos to remove the skins, and I think it all went through the food processor after.

I'm not sure but it may have also had white beans in it, and we ate it over rice.

Anyone have a good similar recipe? I tried to find the original online, but there are so many recipes that I'll not sure I can ever track it down again. And lots of the recipes online are sure to suck. :(

The original recipe also started with "buy a rotisserie chicken" so I'm sure we can improve on that. I do have a pile of cooked chicken meat from making broth though, so if it can use cooked chicken that would be helpful.

EVG fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 22, 2012

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

giogadi posted:

So, what kind of sandwiches do y'all make during the colder months?

Put a thick slice of sourdough bread in bottom of bowl. Pour stew on top. Serve. :razz:

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Yonic Symbolism posted:

So I recently got a 90$ multicooker due to the product rec thread.
Manual told me to test the alignment by filling the inner teflon pan to 2/3's full and then cook at high pressure.

It said the pressure cooker would count down from the programmed time when the correct pressure was reached.

I tried it a few times and steam was coming out the sides and it never counted down, so I guess I did something wrong.

However, after this escapade, I noticed there was a kind of... dust left over in the inner pan. I'm concerned because the inner pan has been washed multiple times and was dried after I emptied the water. What's the dust, is it something teflon related? Could I have damaged the machine already?

If steam was coming out of the sides then yeah, something is wrong. First, check the gasket. Make sure it is properly aligned on the inner rim. Then set it up again and make sure its locked in place and that the steam release valve is clicked into the closed/pressure setting. How dusty was the dust? Is it possible its just mineral residue from the water?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

giogadi posted:

So, what kind of sandwiches do y'all make during the colder months? I'm sure there are a bunch of ingredients I wouldn't have even considered putting on a sandwich. If it helps to know where I am for ingredient availability, I'm in central North Carolina. Note: I'm not a fan of mayo.

What the post two above me said. That or panini served aside a nice pureed soup like a cauliflower or tomato soup.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

giogadi posted:

Do y'all have any recommendations for a good fall/winter sandwich? In the summer, my ideal lunch sandwich was:

Provolone
Turkey
roma tomato
Avocado

Then toasted on the skillet with some olive oil and basil. Now, however, some of those ingredients (specifically the tomatos and the avocados) are out of season and the quality of the ingredients at the local market are pretty terrible.

Pressed salted tongue and sharp yellow mustard and/or horseradish. Some kind of grey or dark bread is best. Onions optional, some people have to take care of their professional...ambiance.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Psychobabble posted:

If steam was coming out of the sides then yeah, something is wrong. First, check the gasket. Make sure it is properly aligned on the inner rim. Then set it up again and make sure its locked in place and that the steam release valve is clicked into the closed/pressure setting. How dusty was the dust? Is it possible its just mineral residue from the water?

It's pretty darn dusty.
I've boiled water A LOT - I make pasta and tea because the only recipe I can manage is "boil water and then dump it in something or dump something in it" and even gently caress that up sometimes.
But it's never left any dust.

Random googling I get the impression I might have done something to overheat the pot, and even if I get the gasket aligned the articles about teflon didn't seem that encouraging even if that didn't happen. I'll probably send this back (which will be a pain) and try to find one that does NOT have teflon in it.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
In re winter sandwiches:

gently caress soup. Butter some bread. Slather on a scoop or two of mashed potatoes, pour gravy over. Top with some protein.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Is a soup in a bread bowl a sandwich?

What about a pot pie?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

GrAviTy84 posted:

Is a soup in a bread bowl a sandwich?

What about a pot pie?

A sandwich needs to be at least a little-bit pick-uppable. Messy is okay. Soup fails this qualification, since you can't pick up a soup-filled sandwich.

A sandwich needs to have removable bread pieces. If you baked the crust in two pieces, then smeared some cooked pie filling into two halves and smashed it together, that would be a sandwich. Else, no.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Appl posted:

You're green one is your common jalapeno. Before using it, slice it in half and look at the juice and seeds. If the juices are fairly clear and the seeds are a nice shade of white, your jalapeno was domestically grown in the US and will have a milder taste (use the whole pepper). If the seeds are a bit brownish and the juices are cloudy, the pepper was imported from South America and will be a bit more spicy and pungent (use about 3/4s of it).

quote:

That orange one may look like a pepper but it really isn't. The French call it du faux poivron. It is actually from the carrot family and is just an example of nature impersonating another object to protect itself. It has very little taste and no heat, but you probably wouldn't eat it because it look hot (use the whole "pepper"). You can tell the difference from a domestic Orange Pepper because it's dirtier than a normal pepper (grows underground), the stem curves the opposite direction than the curve on the pepper, and you see that hair coming off the tip? Thats the end of the root.

I'm in the UK, does this affect anything? And orange one? None of them are orange...

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

mediaphage posted:

A sandwich needs to be at least a little-bit pick-uppable. Messy is okay. Soup fails this qualification, since you can't pick up a soup-filled sandwich.

An open faced sandwich fails this, too.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

GrAviTy84 posted:

That is at least classified as an 'open-faced' sandwich. And most use two pieces of bread. You could just flip it over and pick it up. Some would fall out but certainly not to the same extent as an actual soup.

Now, you could do what my sister and I did as a kid with chili or vegetable soup - which was to crunch enough crackers up in the dish until it became a paste, and then pile it all between bread.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
One can fold an open-faced sandwich in half, giving it two sides of bread -much like your popular hot dog sandwiches and taco sandwiches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

GrAviTy84 posted:

What? How is an open faced sandwich not pick uppable?