Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PosSibley
Jan 11, 2008

21rst Century Digital Boy

Meta Ridley posted:

I just watched first episode of Wilfred two days ago. I am almost finished with Season 1 now.

Where the gently caress did this show come from??
It was originally an Australian show made by the man who plays Wilfred in the dog costume. The American version is different, but I enjoy watching Elijah Wood stumble through life. (I don't care if you were being rhetorical)

PosSibley fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubanRefugee
Jul 1, 2003

El Jefe
Reppin' the Row since '26.

Glug_Glug posted:

I personally think season 2 is the worse season. I say at least watch until the season 3 finale, Through the Looking Glass. That episode is amazing, and it's worth seeing the build up to that. Besides you'll also see The Brig which might be my favorite episode of anything ever.

If you're not enjoying still, then by all means stop watching.

I fully agree. Every person that I've gotten to watch Lost on Netflix tells me that they want to stop watching when they get to about episode 4-5 on Season 2. I say power through it, because it definitely gets better.

I *just* started watching Fringe and just finished season 1. Holy poo poo, what a good show.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

CubanRefugee posted:

I fully agree. Every person that I've gotten to watch Lost on Netflix tells me that they want to stop watching when they get to about episode 4-5 on Season 2. I say power through it, because it definitely gets better.

I *just* started watching Fringe and just finished season 1. Holy poo poo, what a good show.

Awesome. If you think Fringe is holy poo poo good after season 1, you should enjoy the rest of the ride.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
Fringe seasons 2 and 3 are some drat fine TV. One day, I'll get my hands on season 4...

I'm up to season 7 in Cheers and it's loving awesome. That show is loving killer. Even after Diane left, it stumbled for a bit introducing Rebecca but is back on form like CRAZY.

Also in season 5 of That 70s Show, and the cracks are starting to show a bit. They're starting to do that Musical Chairs of characters getting into and out of relationships thing and it's kinda weak. I honestly have to say, though, Ashton Kutcher kills it as Kelso. This may be because I'm always a fan of the dumb character on most shows (Troy Barnes, Andy Dwyer, Woody and Coach...) but as little as I like the actor, Kelso cracks me up.

Stalled out about halfway through season 4 of Newsradio. I really love that show but I think I'm subconsciously trying to keep myself from reaching the beginning of season 5 because I'll miss Phil Hartman terribly. Seasons 2 and 3 were some sort of sublime sitcom heaven, though.

Unfortunately, I haven't been doing much drama-watching. My watches of Breaking Bad and The Wire have been on hold for a while. I should have some free time in the next week, though, so back to Albuquerque or Baltimore I'll go...

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I finished White Collar on Netflix a little while ago. I'm glad I stuck it out, the show really takes a turn for the better once they kill off Kate.

I've been catching the occasional episode of Dinosaurs on Netflix, and as much as I liked the show when it aired, I didn't remember just how good it was. Really underrated, they even managed to have an episode about the teenage son experimenting with being an herbivore. It's actually a fairly clever allegory for homosexuality, and they manage to blend in a little about drug use as well. Just further evidence that Muppets make for good shows.

Also been working my way through Eureka, seems darker than I remembered.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!
Just binged through Undeclared in less than a week. While I don't think it was amazing it was still ahead of it's time. Even though it was unintentional- Undeclared feels like a show made in the present but took place 10-15 years ago. Not as good as Freaks and Geeks but still good.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

CaptainHollywood posted:

Just binged through Undeclared in less than a week. While I don't think it was amazing it was still ahead of it's time. Even though it was unintentional- Undeclared feels like a show made in the present but took place 10-15 years ago. Not as good as Freaks and Geeks but still good.

Just finished season 1 of Nikita on a week's leave; turns out I had only watched the first three episodes... It moved on further than I thought (expected Alex to be a recruit for at least two seasons). A break from season two with season three & four of The Mentalist, which is far more mellow than Nikita. Don't know why I forget about all this good TV, when I can't find something good to watch of an evening.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Having nothing else to watch I recently marathoned Once Upon a Time and Scandal.

I was surprised at how good Scandal ended up being. I originally watched the first episode and dropped it because it seemed like one of this run of the mill legal drama's with the lead character always giving people orders to rush around and do important poo poo. I think my favorite type of these shows was The Practice during the mid 2000's. It had some really good characters, monologues, and story arcs. But I never got into Boston Legal and I just haven't felt like watching anything like that since except for The Good Wife, which I do watch. Anyway, long story long, I ended up giving Scandal another try and it actually gets better, not as a legal drama, but because it gets darker and it's as much of a legal drama as I thought it was going to be. And Kerry Washington is very good (and not at all hard to look at). 7.5

Once Upon a Time was a fairly decent. I'd also previously given up on it after the first episode but then I read somewhere that it was pretty serialized and I love serial shows so I gave it another shot and ended up sticking with it. The real stand out of the show is of course Robert Carlyle as Rumpelstiltskin who just makes everyone else look like amateurs. Also the despite the terrible green screen the fantasy parts tend to be more interesting than the real world ones. I think that's mostly because there ends up being more action and adventure in the fantasy part, whereas in the real people tend to stand around talk more, and there's some grating love triangle poo poo as well. Episode quality varies. Some are fairly boring but the really good ones, such as the ones that focus on Rumpelstiltskin's back story are pretty excellent. 7

e: based on Rogue1-and-a-half's reviews I think I'll give Dead Zone a shot.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Oct 7, 2012

shagster104
Jan 3, 2012
Just started October road again. Such an awesome show, if nobody has seen it yet, it will not disappoint!

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

spookygonk posted:

Just finished season 1 of Nikita on a week's leave; turns out I had only watched the first three episodes... It moved on further than I thought (expected Alex to be a recruit for at least two seasons). A break from season two with season three & four of The Mentalist, which is far more mellow than Nikita. Don't know why I forget about all this good TV, when I can't find something good to watch of an evening.

Nikita is great and needs to keep on going on. Spread the word, my friend!

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Philthy posted:

Is this still based off that awesome French film La Femme Nikita?

Only in the loosest sense. A junkie (Maggie Q as a junkie is completely unbelievable - all they do is give her bushy eyebrows) transforms into a reluctant assassin after being wrongly* accused of a crime, then falls in love with her trainer.

It's more of a reboot of the previous TV show, only she has escaped of Division/Section One and spends the series trying to destroy them, and her relationship with Michael (Bob in the movie) is simplified/CW-ified dramatically.

The most recent season finale had multiple references to the old series finale, with a few twists, to the point where it'd be a shame to watch it without knowing how the old series ended.

*In the TV shows she's not a cop killer, just framed.

Greyish Orange
Apr 1, 2010

I just finished season one of the Sopranos, and although I want to keep watching it, I'm not really sure why. I'm struggling to be at all sympathetic towards most of the characters, especially Tony, but I feel like I should stick with it because it's so highly regarded.

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

If you've got white people problems I feel bad for you son
I've got 99 problems but being socially privileged ain't one

Greyish Orange posted:

I just finished season one of the Sopranos, and although I want to keep watching it, I'm not really sure why. I'm struggling to be at all sympathetic towards most of the characters, especially Tony, but I feel like I should stick with it because it's so highly regarded.

Is being sympathetic to the characters necessary for you to enjoy a show? If so, then The Soprano's might not do it for you.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Greyish Orange posted:

Nah, you're reading it right. They're almost all terrible people and that's part of the show.

Embrace that and start laughing at them, not with them. It's a really great show, but at best you'll find yourself rooting for one psycho temporarily against another slightly worse psycho, or taking pleasure in characters making small personal advances (only to be cancelled out by some worse deed later).

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
Currently powering my way through Community. Season one is pretty hard because Jeff and Britta are just hard to watch. I recognize the show seems to be parodying their archetypes from more "normal" shows, but it doesn't make it any easier to watch. Especially the end of season 1. Abed summed it perfectly, "I wanted to start out of the gate with more adventures, like paintball. This is boring." I'm glad it's all but been ignored after the first couple of season 2 episodes.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD
Alright, I'm binging through Lost.
We once watched up to season 3, got annoyed and quit. Now we're up to starting season 5, still annoyed, and I'm pretty sure I should have convinced my wife to start Shield / The Wire instead.
I've done my best to avoid spoilers about Lost's ending, but is this actually going anywhere?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If you're looking for some kind of ultimate ending that answers all the mysteries and ties everything up then you'll be disappointed. They were making up a lot of poo poo as they wrote the show and it just became impossible to wrap it up. I thought it was a fun ride through most of it.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Oct 8, 2012

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD
That's basically where I stand now, yeah. It seems like it's just all over the place. I dislike that every season seems a little worse than the one before, so I hope that changes at least.

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005
Grimm is surprisingly good. Few shows actually do the monster of the week with a building background story formula well. Usually the filler episodes suck so bad it brings down the entire show.

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?
Binging through The Good Wife. Caught one of the episodes awhile back and decided to go out and find it. Just finished s1 and starting s2. Guess it's a little contrived with people managing to apparently find out evidence really fast and blow through a trial (tv logic to make it fit one episode), but it is fun enough to watch defense story construction, quirky judges and lawyers, and politics.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
American Horror Story, I had literally not heard anything about it somehow until two weeks ago, watched the promo on youtube, then proceeded to watch the whole of the first season in one sitting. It's amazing, and I loved the fact that there were some actually unexpected twists. Plus Jessica Lange is amazing when she's evil.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Acht posted:

That's basically where I stand now, yeah. It seems like it's just all over the place. I dislike that every season seems a little worse than the one before, so I hope that changes at least.

I got some real bad news for you...

Season 6 is not that good. (and I loved Season 5)

EddieDean
Nov 17, 2009
Acht, you'll get character resolution for pretty much every character, in a satisfying way. But you'll get NOTHING from the plot.

If you're watching it for the mysteries, stop now. If you're watching it for the characters, definitely keep going.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD
Well, the first time I just quit watching Lost, was because I felt they annoyingly made up storylines to avoid the mysteries. Maybe back then, this wasn't fair and because I really did enjoy season 1 massively, we went ahead and rewatched everything. Right now, I do see that it's basically become a character show and I'm half-interested to see how they end up.
Two seasons to go, I'll bite through.

Zhaan
Aug 7, 2012

Always like this.

leidend posted:

Only in the loosest sense. A junkie (Maggie Q as a junkie is completely unbelievable - all they do is give her bushy eyebrows) transforms into a reluctant assassin after being wrongly* accused of a crime, then falls in love with her trainer.

It's more of a reboot of the previous TV show, only she has escaped of Division/Section One and spends the series trying to destroy them, and her relationship with Michael (Bob in the movie) is simplified/CW-ified dramatically.

The most recent season finale had multiple references to the old series finale, with a few twists, to the point where it'd be a shame to watch it without knowing how the old series ended.

*In the TV shows she's not a cop killer, just framed.

I just started watching the new Nikita too. I've seen the original movie, but not the original TV series. Is it worth stopping in the middle of season 1 to go back and watch the old show first?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Zhaan posted:

I just started watching the new Nikita too. I've seen the original movie, but not the original TV series. Is it worth stopping in the middle of season 1 to go back and watch the old show first?

Probably not, it hasn't aged that well. All the super cool gadgets of the 90s are comedic now.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Zhaan posted:

Not unless you really want to.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Zhaan posted:

If you happen to stumble across the original you might enjoy an episode or two for comparison, but I wouldn't go further than that unless you really liked what you saw.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Is it weird that my first exposure to the whole Nikita thing was the weird American remake, Point of No Return? I still haven't seen anything else, although I actually would like to watch the original French film because Luc Besson is awesome. It's weird though, because I never really connected that with those cheesy "LA FEMME NIKITA" ads I used to see on the USA network back when I was a kid. I sort of filed that show away along with rubbish like SILK STALKINGS or whatever, back when I was a kid. Is the new reboot really that good?

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

kaworu posted:

Is the new reboot really that good?

It is good, but the original film is better.

Barn Door
Mar 6, 2007

shut the fuck up charles
I've been enjoying the two-season Danish series Borgen tremendously. It really deserves a thread. Surprisingly easy to follow as long as you can stand subtitles (if you're Danish you probably know about it). It takes about 3 episodes to hit it's stride, which is conveniently the amount supplied here in HD:
http://www.linktv.org/borgen/season1

A US remake is in the works, apparently.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Barn Door posted:

A US remake is in the works, apparently.

Hope they do a better job than they did with The Killing.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

kaworu posted:

Is it weird that my first exposure to the whole Nikita thing was the weird American remake, Point of No Return? I still haven't seen anything else, although I actually would like to watch the original French film because Luc Besson is awesome. It's weird though, because I never really connected that with those cheesy "LA FEMME NIKITA" ads I used to see on the USA network back when I was a kid. I sort of filed that show away along with rubbish like SILK STALKINGS or whatever, back when I was a kid. Is the new reboot really that good?

Yes. Now go watch it. :colbert:

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

I'm on episode 5 of Homeland and yes, it's generally as good as both goons and the Emmys say it is.

And I hear I haven't seen poo poo yet.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Chamberk posted:

I'm on episode 5 of Homeland and yes, it's generally as good as both goons and the Emmys say it is.

And I hear I haven't seen poo poo yet.

Son, you haven't seen loving poo poo yet.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Just started Supernatural holy poo poo is this show good, other then the truck

Doctor Candiru
Dec 23, 2004
Umbrella Monkey Sand

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Son, you haven't seen loving poo poo yet.
Yeah, if you like it already, you're going to adore the rest of the series thus far. I didn't love it until the season finale, and season two has been perfect.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
I loved it from the beginning, then by the season finale I said it was up there with The Wire and Deadwood, but then the next season has started and now it's my favorite show on TV right now. If it continues like this without going over the top for a couple more seasons it will be a keeper.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

I saw some folks complaining about the opening credits of Homeland, but the opening credits kinda rule.

edit: and Dr Venture is giving a polygraph test

edit2: oh poo poo episode 6

Chamberk fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Oct 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Chamberk posted:

I saw some folks complaining about the opening credits, but the opening credits kinda rule.

The opening credits of...?