Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

richardfun posted:

The opening credits of...?
Probably Homeland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Chamberk posted:

I saw some folks complaining about the opening credits of Homeland, but the opening credits kinda rule.

Yeah, last season's thread was 90% talking about how awesome the show was and 10% talking about how bad the opening was. I always thought it was ok and didn't really understand what everyone had against it.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Kekekela posted:

Yeah, last season's thread was 90% talking about how awesome the show was and 10% talking about how bad the opening was. I always thought it was ok and didn't really understand what everyone had against it.
I thought the use of voiceover quotes from the pilot was kinda tacky at first, but it doesn't really bother me any more. The rest of the intro is pretty good.

e: and since that wasn't really on-topic, I'll mention that I finally got started on Lost. The first season was really good; the actual they're-stranded-on-an-island part was a bit lame, but the character interactions and flashbacks were great.

Then I started season 2 and almost immediately lost interest. The big reveal of what was down the hatch just doesn't appeal to me at all. I was also pretty disappointed that Kate's original crime was, imo, a lot less interesting than the previous ones we'd seen. It still seems good enough to keep watching, but I don't think I'll keep up the same pace as I did for season 1.

e2: bold is not spoiler...

misguided rage fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Oct 21, 2012

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
I saw that Homeland episode "The Weekend" and drat folks

drat.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Would I like "Homeland" if I hated America? :v:

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

pigdog posted:

Would I like "Homeland" if I hated America? :v:

Only if you hate America because of all of its bad television.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Burning through season three of The Mentalist and the amount of known TV actors that are appearing for small parts is noticeable. It's like the show is now more popular so bigger names are appearing in it. Other than that, I've been watching so much US tv now, I'm recognising more actors.

Wasn't sure if I would still enjoy The Mentalist after binging on season one of Nikita, but it is an entertaining show.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM #ad📢

My wife just went through Season 7 of Bones and is in the middle of the Mentalist Season 4. Then Supernatural season 7.

I picked up the new Spartacus season eager to get back into it after blowing through the prequel and season 1. I was hesitant about the new actor since the original passed away but after 1 episode I decided he works just fine.

Also, lots of sex and nudity always beats network tv. :smug:

First episode: penises everywhere :stare:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Just started The Wire season 2. Without spoiling anything, how long do they spend at the ports? Is it like an all-season thing?

Hits a little too close to home for me. :(

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

leidend posted:

Just started The Wire season 2. Without spoiling anything, how long do they spend at the ports? Is it like an all-season thing?

All season. The streets/Avon/Stringer sits a bit on the back burner this season. For most people on first viewing it's the most hated season, but on rewatches becomes the best (or second best to Season 4).

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

leidend posted:

Each season focuses on one "thing". The street/drug trade stuff is always a part of the show, but the main focus of S2 is the ports.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Nov 5, 2012

1JoshI
Nov 2, 2011
I know others have gone back and re-watched it before, but I binged the entire "Freaks & Geeks" series this weekend on Netflix. I had watched the show during its initial run (although I missed a few episodes due to NBC's scheduling) and caught the repeats on Fox Family, but it had been several years since I had seen an episode.

As I remembered, such a great show. I used to think it was a tragedy it got cancelled, but now I think it was almost a blessing, as it never became a joke (see last few seasons of That 70s Show). Obviously Linda Cardellini and the freak guys (Franco/Rogen/Segel) have gone on to bigger things, but a quick check of IMDB shows that almost all of the cast have gone on to at least steady work in acting. What a ridiculously strong ensemble of young actors that was.

My lasting memory from years ago was the scene where Neal was peddling his bike in the dark with the garage door opener until he finally found his dad's love nest. It's still such a sad scene, as Neal can no longer deny that his dad is a cad.

The only thing I didn't like was that the Sam/Cindy dating arc came off as forced and unrealistic (would a cheerleader REALLY date a 14-year old built like an 11-year old, even if he was a nice guy? It sure didn't happen that way for me!), but I read somewhere that Paul Feig & Judd Apatow blew through a lot of the plans for the second season once they realized there wasn't going to be a second season. Also, Seth Rogen's sarcastic "Ken" was just there and an afterthought until the final couple of episodes, which just barely scratched the surface of that character. I wonder how Ken & Tuba Girl would have done. I'm sure Daniel was never going to play D&D again-would he go back to experimenting with punk? How would Lindsay fared under the inevitable wrath of Joe Flaherty?

I'm now starting on "Undeclared", Apatow's show about college freshmen life that came out a year or two after F & G and had a similar short-lived fate. I never saw this show during its run on FOX.

1JoshI fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Oct 23, 2012

sweet_jones
Jan 1, 2007

I've just finished season 2 of Prison Break. I like the characters and really enjoyed probably the first 3/4 of the second season, but the absurdity of the last ten minutes of the S2 finale lost a lot of my interest. Is it worth continuing?

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

jfballin posted:

I've just finished season 2 of Prison Break. I like the characters and really enjoyed probably the first 3/4 of the second season, but the absurdity of the last ten minutes of the S2 finale lost a lot of my interest. Is it worth continuing?

The first half of season 4 is pretty good, but season 3 and the back half of season 4 vary between bad and loving abysmal.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Flatscan posted:

The first half of season 4 is pretty good, but season 3 and the back half of season 4 vary between bad and loving abysmal.

Couldn't sum it up any better. I actually love how the opening of Season 4 renders season 3 completely moot. Those first few episodes of Season 4 are legitimately fun- like a weekly Ocean's 11 from what I remember. Then... Abysmal. loving Scylla. That should be in textbooks for future generations when looking up the definition of MacGuffin.

quote:

I'm now starting on "Undeclared", Apatow's show about college freshmen life that came out a year or two after F & G and had a similar short-lived fate. I never saw this show during its run on FOX.

It's good. Not as good as Freaks and Geeks though. Even though it was "unintended", the show really plays to it's era much like Freaks did. I think it was ahead of it's time overall, not hilarious, but a good mix of drama/comedy. It also doesn't end as satisfying as Freaks did, but it ends well enough.

CaptainHollywood fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 23, 2012

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?
After having seen season 2's finale, I'll just repeat it for anyone who hasn't heard me say it before.

WATCH ALPHAS!

EddieDean
Nov 17, 2009

richardfun posted:

After having seen season 2's finale, I'll just repeat it for anyone who hasn't heard me say it before.

WATCH ALPHAS!

Is alphas any better than Heroes? In what ways is it different?

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

I've been really hanging out to watch a good show recently and have tried a half dozen or more shows to watch but nothing has really taken my fancy at all. I did like the look of Boss and I will go back to it but it wasn't really scratching my itch. After going through huge lists of shows I finally decided to give The Shield a go again. The last time I tried was not too long after finishing The Wire and it just couldn't compete...out of desperation I went back...

Very glad I did. It's a great show. I really should have watched the end of the first episode last time around because that would have totally pulled me in. What an amazing scene. Very impressed by the acting too- Michael Chiklis does a great job playing Vic but I've been probably the most impressed by Michael Jace who plays Julien. The scene in the bathroom when he breaks down in front of Vic was really well done

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
Just finished Vampire Diaries Season 1. I didn't think I'd like this shoow, but hell, it grows on you and has really good acting/dialogue. Fuckin' CW58, man.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

EddieDean posted:

Is alphas any better than Heroes? In what ways is it different?

Alphas is more of a character study about how having powers affects the people who have them. For example, Super senses seem awesome when you can look at a crime scene, and tell the difference between various blood types simply by looking at them. It sucks when you try to get romantic, and you can only see your potential lover as a big sack of germs.

The powers are well-defined, and have definite downsides. So there isn't any sort of "Wishing for more powers," type bullshit that made Heroes the Peter and Skyler show.

Alphas is a well written show, by writers who know how to write a decent superhero story on a budget. Instead of Loeb, who was considered a hack writer by the comic community long before he took over on Heroes.

Also, when the characters throw down, you get to see it. There's no Suresh with his powers of holding the doors shut in order to keep you from seeing that super awesome fight right outside the door.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Nov 13, 2012

EddieDean
Nov 17, 2009

thrakkorzog posted:

Alphas is more of a character study about how having powers affects the people who have them. For example, Super senses seem awesome when you can look at a crime scene, and tell the difference between various blood types simply by looking at them. It sucks when you try to get romantic, and you can only see your potential lover as a big sack of germs.

The powers are well-defined, and have definite downsides. So there isn't any sort of "Wishing for more powers," type bullshit that made Heroes the Peter and Skyler show.

Alphas is a well written show, by writers who know how to write a decent superhero story on a budget. Instead of Loeb, who was considered a hack writer by the comic community long before he took over on Heroes.

Also, when the characters throw down, you get to see it. There's no Suresh with his powers of holding the doors shut in order to keep you from seeing that super awesome fight right outside the door.

That doesn't sounds bad at all. How many episodes does it take to get into its groove, or does it hit the ground running?

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

EddieDean posted:

That doesn't sounds bad at all. How many episodes does it take to get into its groove, or does it hit the ground running?

Episode 3. This is when poo poo starts getting real and you know this show pulls no punches.

Cawdor
Oct 5, 2004
I just binged through all of Childrens Hospital.

Its a great spoof of Hospital dramas. Its funny on its own, but if you have some recreational weed to go with it, its even better!

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Finished up Arrested Development and the hype is justified. Can't wait for season 4 although I don't want to order Netflix if I don't have to.

Currently going though The IT Crowd then trying to decide between Better Off Ted or It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
Just finished The Wire and all I have to say is wow, that was the best good to come out in years. The one thing that disappointed me was that when the little kid shot Omar three episodes before end of the series, I was a little disappointed. I was hoping that he would at least make it to the end of the series and show that he was really a good guy, who was trying to save the city and not the bad guy that everyone thought he was. Over all it was a solid series. Good writing, good characters, and great story lines. It's going to be hard to to that series, although I hear that GoT is close.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

screenwritersblues posted:

Just finished The Wire and all I have to say is wow, that was the best good to come out in years. The one thing that disappointed me was that when the little kid shot Omar three episodes before end of the series, I was a little disappointed. I was hoping that he would at least make it to the end of the series and show that he was really a good guy, who was trying to save the city and not the bad guy that everyone thought he was. Over all it was a solid series. Good writing, good characters, and great story lines. It's going to be hard to to that series, although I hear that GoT is close.

Talking about good and bad guys in a show like The Wire is not right. Everyone's a shade of grey, like real life.

Well, maybe not Snoop. Yeesh

Game of Thrones is good but won't compare. Mad Men is probably the closest current show as far as intelligent writing goes, but still inferior.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

screenwritersblues posted:

The only show that comes close to The Wire for me is Breaking Bad.

Also, make sure to watch Generation Kill. Also by David Simon, 6 or 7 part series about the second Iraq war.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

richardfun posted:

The only show that comes close to The Wire for me is Breaking Bad.

I almost feel like Breaking Bad was ruined by me marathoning The Wire. It seems so silly in comparison, and they were obviously inspired by the show.

Gale worked for the Baltimore Sun before he moved to Albuquerque. :)

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The only real cure for The Wire is more David Simon material. Generation Kill, The Corner, and the soon-ending Treme.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I remember The Corner... that was a great mini series. Should've known it was the same people.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

I've watched Generation Kill three or four times already. The amount of comedy in it is the most surprising bit, and perhaps even the best part of the show overall.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I went through Season 1 of Justified fairly quick. Not amazing, but really good. Raylan is the closest thing I've seen to a Jack Bauer in a long time.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

CaptainHollywood posted:

I went through Season 1 of Justified fairly quick. Not amazing, but really good. Raylan is the closest thing I've seen to a Jack Bauer in a long time.

Persevere with it. The second season, especially towards the end, is amazing. Third season is very good too.

Half way through season 3 of The Shield now and enjoying it just as much as I was from the start. Speaking of Justified Raylon's ex wife has just turned up as Vic's love interest

Also the only thing that comes close to The Wire at all for me is Deadwood.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Ewar Woowar posted:

Persevere with it. The second season, especially towards the end, is amazing. Third season is very good too.

Half way through season 3 of The Shield now and enjoying it just as much as I was from the start. Speaking of Justified Raylon's ex wife has just turned up as Vic's love interest
The Shield only continues to get better. I can't think of another show that finished stronger - both the final season and the finale are fantastic.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Going through season 4 (and then half season 5 to end) of Chuck now. Forgot how much fun this series was.

Happyfacecrazy
Jul 30, 2010

Soft Kitty...
Warm Kitty...
Little Ball of Fur.
Happy Kitty...
Sleepy Kitty...
Purr, Purr, Purrr.
Spent the last week watching Supernatural season 1, I am now officially hooked! I'm too afraid to look in the Supernatural thread in case I spoil it for myself. I have no self control when it comes to spoilers!

Downloaded the first seasons of American Horror Story and True Blood so while I'm off for the weekend I'll probably engross myself into those two shows.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Watched the first nine episodes of Homeland in one 12 hour night shift. That's more about how slow the night shift is than how much I like the show though.

It's very interesting as long as it stays away from being about Carrie's personal life, but I'm not dying to see what happens next like I was with my last two marathons (The Wire and Game of Thrones).

And like many 30-somethings I have trouble disassociating Danes from her My So-Called Life emo character.

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe
:bsg: again.

:qq:
what is wrong with me?

Also, Stargate. The lot of them. We need a Stargate smilie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Binged through It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia with someone who hadn't seen any of it. They enjoyed the first few episodes enough that we ended up plowing through all of it in about 2 weeks. It's really still a great show

Before that we did Community. Can't wait for the new season.

We're thinking of starting up Mad Men next