Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

Stairs posted:

As for induction, having done it induced and not-induced I personally didn't notice that big a difference other than induced labor coming faster and more regular. I've never really understood the dislike for inducing, you have to push the sprout out either way, so what's wrong with speeding it up a bit? As a mother of 4 I've decided natural is good, but not waking up at 3 am to drive to the hospital for a false start is better.

If you chart contraction intensity versus time, un-induced labor will look roughly sinusoidal and pitocin-induced labor roughly like a square wave. Some people don't like the feeling of instantaneously going from no contraction to HOLY poo poo CONTRAAAACTION.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

Not a fan of induction myself; I had the prostaglandin gel at 41w, which I didn't react well to for some reason (went from no labour to "oh my god I might die why aren't I getting any breaks between contractions?!"). The doctor broke my water to "speed things up" and I ended up with an epidural because I couldn't stay conscious (seizure condition) through back to back contractions that weren't actually doing a whole lot, followed by pitocin and finally an emergency C section when everything stalled, baby's heart rate went up and my temperature shot up too.

The experience was horrifying enough that for the first few weeks after birth I maintained I would be having elective C sections for any future children. Now, I'm more in favour of trying to avoid induction if at all possible and hopefully things will go smoother without the prostaglandin/pitocin.

That said, I had no choice about the induction, as baby wasn't moving much and my amniotic fluid level had dropped enough that they were worried. If you have any choice about it, avoid induction!

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
Inductions can fail if the body isn't ready to give birth. This leads to more interventions than the mother may want up to and including a c-section which increases the risk to mother and child a great deal beyond standard vaginal birth. That is why many people oppose them for non-medical reasons. I got induced at 8am and was in the OR at 6:30pm because despite maxing out the pitocin and 10 hours of contractions, I did not progress at all. Maybe a centimeter more dilated, but that was it. My BP was at an unmanageable level at that point and that's why I ended up with the c-section.

rangergirl
Jun 3, 2004
A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer
Toby had his first set of vaccines today. The shots went well, he only cried for a minute and seemed fine but since I got him home this afternoon he has done nothing but scream. He doesn't have a fever, I've given him some Tylenol but he just keeps crying. I'm a bit worried, he won't eat because he's so upset. Any tricks I should try, anything that worked for you guys?

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

rangergirl posted:

Toby had his first set of vaccines today. The shots went well, he only cried for a minute and seemed fine but since I got him home this afternoon he has done nothing but scream. He doesn't have a fever, I've given him some Tylenol but he just keeps crying. I'm a bit worried, he won't eat because he's so upset. Any tricks I should try, anything that worked for you guys?

This is how my first son reacted to his first vaccinations. He cried all day and so did I. It was better the next day. :(

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Panne posted:

I've heard women say induced labor can be more intense and painful too

My mother had 4 kids; I came first with a saddle block (a local anaesthetic injected in your vaginal area), then she had the next two all natural, and then for the 4th she got induced with Pitocin. She maintains that that one was the one that really hurt.

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

I was induced at 41w2d with the gel, they monitored me for three hours, and sent me home at midnight with a 'nothing is really happening, you'll probably have to come back in tomorrow and have more put on. Got home at 1am, fell asleep, woke up an hour and a half later to contractions coming every 2 minutes. Went back to the hospital, they gave me an NST and decided that Briar's heart rate was way too low (100bpm) and they rushed me to surgery for an emergency C-Section.

It sucks because the original plan was all natural, no drugs, and we pretty much had to throw it out the window. It was also a bit of a relief because she ended up being almost 10lbs, and it probably would have sucked to try to push that out, or fail to push that it after hours of labour only to have an emergency c-section anyways. :/

rangergirl
Jun 3, 2004
A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer

raaaan posted:

I was induced at 41w2d with the gel, they monitored me for three hours, and sent me home at midnight with a 'nothing is really happening, you'll probably have to come back in tomorrow and have more put on. Got home at 1am, fell asleep, woke up an hour and a half later to contractions coming every 2 minutes. Went back to the hospital, they gave me an NST and decided that Briar's heart rate was way too low (100bpm) and they rushed me to surgery for an emergency C-Section.

It sucks because the original plan was all natural, no drugs, and we pretty much had to throw it out the window. It was also a bit of a relief because she ended up being almost 10lbs, and it probably would have sucked to try to push that out, or fail to push that it after hours of labour only to have an emergency c-section anyways. :/

It's freaky...one of the clients at work just had a daughter named Briar on the same day, she was an emergency C-section and weighed 10 pounds. You aren't in New Hampshire are you??

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

rangergirl posted:

It's freaky...one of the clients at work just had a daughter named Briar on the same day, she was an emergency C-section and weighed 10 pounds. You aren't in New Hampshire are you??

Nope! Ontario, Canada. That's a neat coincidence though!

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Mnemosyne posted:

My mother had 4 kids; I came first with a saddle block (a local anaesthetic injected in your vaginal area), then she had the next two all natural, and then for the 4th she got induced with Pitocin. She maintains that that one was the one that really hurt.

Heh, my mother in law says the breech birth she had with her oldest was less painful than the induced birth of her middle child.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
I got induced with Connor. He came out fine and I don't think it was particularly worse than if I had gone naturally. The only problems were down to the hospital being crap and refusing to check I was actually in labour/give me any drugs.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Went to the doctors yesterday and pregnancy test again came up positive! :aaa:
I can't believe this is happening already, but super excited about it too.

I don't think I've felt as giddy when he told me "Next time you visit we can see the baby's heartbeat" since I was a kid.

Somehow I'm six weeks along, even though it must have been conceived about 4-5 weeks ago? He just went by the last period I had. How accurate is that? I'm a little confused. I asked him so many other questions and things I didn't really linger on that.

I mentioned to him when he said he was going to prescribe prenatals that I really have a hard time taking giant sized pills. He just said nevermind then, and for me to get flintstones chewables and take two a day? I'm nervous about this being adequate....even though he's a doctor and I'm not. Has anyone else done this?

Dr. Octagon
Aug 12, 2008

Ride or Die Bitch, Esq.

Greycious posted:

I don't think I've felt as giddy when he told me "Next time you visit we can see the baby's heartbeat" since I was a kid.

Somehow I'm six weeks along, even though it must have been conceived about 4-5 weeks ago? He just went by the last period I had. How accurate is that? I'm a little confused. I asked him so many other questions and things I didn't really linger on that.

I mentioned to him when he said he was going to prescribe prenatals that I really have a hard time taking giant sized pills. He just said nevermind then, and for me to get flintstones chewables and take two a day? I'm nervous about this being adequate....even though he's a doctor and I'm not. Has anyone else done this?

Congratulations :3:

Due dates estimated by the date of your last period can be inaccurate, just because women have all sorts of cycle lengths, and can ovulate at different times within that cycle. At your next appointment, you'll probably get an ultrasound where the OB/tech will measure the baby from crown to rump, and give you an estimated due date based on that measurement. This is much more accurate than the due date based on your last period.

As for the prenatals, I know that Target and probably Walmart or similar stores have gummy prenatal vitamins that a lot of women swear by. I'd probably go that route if I had trouble with big pills!

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

Greycious posted:

They use the first day of your last period to determine due date, so there's a two week period in which they consider you pregnant even though you're not really in order to capture all possible conception dates.. The crown-rump measurement gives you a real(ish) due date vs the arbitrary one based on your period. Also, the date you actually conceived can vary based on how long it took the egg to implant, etc :)

Congratulations!

Edit: beaten! I take the target gummy prenatals :)

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
FYI I think the gummy vitamins are missing iron, so if you end up anemic, you'll have to take a second supplement.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Chickalicious posted:

FYI I think the gummy vitamins are missing iron, so if you end up anemic, you'll have to take a second supplement.

This is correct. I looked for a gummy vitamin with iron & could not find one anywhere.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Greycious posted:

Hey, just so you know, sort of like cats, you shouldn't clean out chicken waste while you're pregnant. Get your significant other to do it. :)

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

Chickalicious posted:

Yeah, no iron or calcium. I take tums to supplement the calcium (dr's rec) and took a regular prenatal with iron while I was bleeding but haven't needed it since.

My dr gave me a bunch of rx prenatal samples, there was one that wasn't a huge horse pill. Wish I could remember which one, it was a little blue capsule.

SassySally
Dec 11, 2010

Greycious posted:

Same issue here. I took Flinstone's sour gummies (yum) and a folic acid supplement since there's not enough in the gummies. I also ended up being prescribed an iron supplement later on.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
nah.

Lullabee fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 21, 2017

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

I take two Flintstones chewables a day as well (regular sort, not the gummies). I was taking the VitaFusion prenatal gummies but something about the way they smelled was getting to me with my morning sickness and I just couldn't take them anymore.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
Congrats, Greycious!

I knew someone who got kind of offended by the whole measure-from-last-period, 40 weeks calculation; she'd been really into tracking ovulation and conception and stuff and was kind of miffed that her doctors were somehow second-guessing her. It never bugged me, even though those phantom two weeks of "pregnancy" are always a little funny to think about. But anyway, you get used to the whole measuring-weeks business.

Even on prenatals I ended up anemic with both pregnancies, and have to take extra iron. If you've ever tended in that direction you might want to start at least paying attention to dietary iron.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Alterian posted:

Hey, just so you know, sort of like cats, you shouldn't clean out chicken waste while you're pregnant. Get your significant other to do it. :)

Really? They also carry toxoplasmosis? :ohdear:
Thank you so much for catching this for me, I really appreciate it! My SO will probably not be so thrilled.

I will need to look into the reptile stuff then..I'm afraid to tell my doctor though, pretty sure he would just be the "Get rid of them all!" type. Which is not happening.

GoreJess posted:

This is correct. I looked for a gummy vitamin with iron & could not find one anywhere.

Yeah they had like ten different kinds when I was looking at them. I went for the old-school chewable chalky ones. They are kinda gross, but they do have calcium and iron. Hopefully if (when!) I get any morning sickenss I'll still be able to handle the texture and flavors..

Schweig und tanze posted:

They use the first day of your last period to determine due date, so there's a two week period in which they consider you pregnant even though you're not really in order to capture all possible conception dates.. The crown-rump measurement gives you a real(ish) due date vs the arbitrary one based on your period. Also, the date you actually conceived can vary based on how long it took the egg to implant, etc :)

Congratulations!

Edit: beaten! I take the target gummy prenatals :)

Yeah I kind of figured it was based on when ovulation was. I'm sure after a couple ultrasounds they'll know if it'll still be around the date they said.. June 13th. :)

Thanks for all the contgrats everyone! Still in awe it's actually happening!

tse1618
May 27, 2008

Cuddle time!

Greycious posted:

I will need to look into the reptile stuff then..I'm afraid to tell my doctor though, pretty sure he would just be the "Get rid of them all!" type. Which is not happening.

I work at a pet store that sells fish and reptiles, and my midwife told me to avoid handling them if I could but when I do have to to make sure to wash my hands well afterward.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004

Andrias Scheuchzeri posted:

I knew someone who got kind of offended by the whole measure-from-last-period, 40 weeks calculation; she'd been really into tracking ovulation and conception and stuff and was kind of miffed that her doctors were somehow second-guessing her. It never bugged me, even though those phantom two weeks of "pregnancy" are always a little funny to think about. But anyway, you get used to the whole measuring-weeks business.

I was tracking mine but I've got the same due date based on ovulation date and LMP because I've got dead on regular cycles, so there wasn't any room to get offended. Really though, if your first ultrasound ends up being more than a few days off from the LMP they'll adjust it based on the baby's development to that point, so I don't see much reason to stress over it too much. Other than to be prepared that if you have really long cycles (and thus ovulate later than expected) the baby is not going to be as developed as expected based on your last period.

I have to say though, that having seen a lot of women's charts and just how terrible some of them are at interpreting them, I can understand why docs wouldn't be quick to trust when someone thinks she ovulated. Just makes a lot more sense to go off the ultrasound if there's any uncertainty.

Greycious posted:

Really? They also carry toxoplasmosis? :ohdear:
Thank you so much for catching this for me, I really appreciate it! My SO will probably not be so thrilled.

I think the concern is more salmonella and some other nasties they can carry (especially stuff you could inhale while cleaning up after them) than toxoplasmosis. I still collect eggs and refill the feeder and waterer for our chickens but I'm careful to wash my hands and I let my husband or roommates clean out the coop. Same for our snakes. I'll hold them while my husband cleans the cage, or help with feeding, but I wash my hands well after and let my husband handle the actual cleaning out of the cages. My doc was fine with that, and she deals with a lot of vet students so I'd expect her to be more up on that sort of thing than usual.

quote:

Yeah they had like ten different kinds when I was looking at them. I went for the old-school chewable chalky ones. They are kinda gross, but they do have calcium and iron. Hopefully if (when!) I get any morning sickenss I'll still be able to handle the texture and flavors..

I've got pretty lovely morning sickness and I can handle the old-school chalky chewables better than the gummy ones I was taking before. Go figure.

Congrats on the pregnancy! I hope you get lucky and are one of the ones without morning sickness!

Ceridwen fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 20, 2012

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

The prenatals I use are the same size as regular vitamins, you are just suppose to take 3 a day. The only time I ever vomited during my whole pregnancy was swallowing one wrong and gagging on it as it got stuck in my throat.

randomfuss
Dec 30, 2006
I can't swallow the horse pills. So I just went to the pharmacy with a list of what I ate the previous week and I was given iron+calcium+magnesium on my first pregnancy. With my second, I already had a prescription for magnesium so I got sent home with the advice "eat cheese at 4PM". And I was taking folic acid, of course. So well, it depends on what you eat. I usually had smoked fish for breakfast so I guess DHA was not an issue.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

randomfuss posted:

I can't swallow the horse pills. So I just went to the pharmacy with a list of what I ate the previous week and I was given iron+calcium+magnesium on my first pregnancy. With my second, I already had a prescription for magnesium so I got sent home with the advice "eat cheese at 4PM". And I was taking folic acid, of course. So well, it depends on what you eat. I usually had smoked fish for breakfast so I guess DHA was not an issue.

Yeah, most people don't really need all possible vitamins. I've never taken iron for either of my pregnancies since my iron levels are fine without it. Folic acid is the most important one and should always be taken though.

An Cat Dubh
Jun 17, 2005
Save the drama for your llama
For the last few days both my calf muscles have been a bit sore when I walk or flex my toes upward. I noticed the soreness after waking up from a particularly bad night sleeping where I was tossing and turning all night. I know the major concern with calf pain is blood clots, but I don't notice any swelling, redness, or any other warning signs, and the soreness is in both legs. I am a bit concerned though because it's been a few days and the soreness is still lingering. I'm 17 weeks pregnant.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
Is the pain only when turning your toes up? Calf and leg pain is typical in pregnancy, but usually flexing your toes up helps a bit. I've heard people say adding extra potassium to your diet can help too.

An Cat Dubh
Jun 17, 2005
Save the drama for your llama
It only hurts when I stretch the muscle, so when I flex my toes upward or walk and extend the calf. Kind of like the opposite of having a calf cramp and flexing your toes upward to relieve it. I will try adding more potassium to my diet though. Thanks for the suggestion.

Seizure Sloth
Dec 28, 2006

The electroshock seizure of the sloth consists of weak extension followed by tonic flexion and terminal clonus.

Greycious posted:

I was induced at 40w3d and it turned out that my daughter was actually around 37/38weeks of age, but it was never suspected that we were incorrect during the pregnancy at any time. Even when they started measuring my uterus and it appeared as if my daughter stopped growing, which in turn caused me to need another ultrasound the check the fetus due to her size. Luckily, she turned out fine and we did not have any problems due to inducing. Next time however, I'm just going to let nature take it's course and wait until the baby is ready to come out on her/his own.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004

Seizure Sloth posted:

I was induced at 40w3d and it turned out that my daughter was actually around 37/38weeks of age, but it was never suspected that we were incorrect during the pregnancy at any time. Even when they started measuring my uterus and it appeared as if my daughter stopped growing, which in turn caused me to need another ultrasound the check the fetus due to her size. Luckily, she turned out fine and we did not have any problems due to inducing. Next time however, I'm just going to let nature take it's course and wait until the baby is ready to come out on her/his own.

Any particular reason you wouldn't just opt for an early ultrasound? There is no way an age discrepancy that large would have been missed on a first trimester ultrasound and it would allow you to know how far post-dates you are. The idea of letting the baby just wait until it's ready to come is nice and all, until you're one of the moms whose baby dies before birth (which yes, is a very real risk when you start to go over 41 weeks). There are very real reasons that doctors worry about letting you go late.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Ceridwen posted:

Any particular reason you wouldn't just opt for an early ultrasound? There is no way an age discrepancy that large would have been missed on a first trimester ultrasound and it would allow you to know how far post-dates you are. The idea of letting the baby just wait until it's ready to come is nice and all, until you're one of the moms whose baby dies before birth (which yes, is a very real risk when you start to go over 41 weeks). There are very real reasons that doctors worry about letting you go late.

There are a lot of ways to check at the end to see if the baby is in distress. I was comfortable waiting 10 days overdue the first time, 4 days the second time, and 16 days the last time. We did nonstress tests and had no complications.

randomfuss
Dec 30, 2006

Ceridwen posted:

There is no way an age discrepancy that large would have been missed on a first trimester ultrasound

Yes there is. I had several early ultrasounds and a discrepancy of a couple of weeks (baby came out "early"). The way they calculate the due date is based on statistics, so there is a variance and also rare events. I tried to ask my doc about the details but she ain't no statistician.

Lucha Luch
Feb 25, 2007

Mr. Squeakers coming off the top rope!
Quick question:
I had pretty mild morning sickness in the first trimester, not really going so far as to actually get sick, but was pretty nauseous for a long go of things. It got much better around 12 weeks and hasn't been an issue at all, but I'm still sensitive to smells when I'm not completely congested. My husband just opened the door to the kitchen where his brother with questionable hygiene just made a cup of coffee, and I smelled it in a waft from the sitting room across the hall, and then proceeded to lose my dinner. I don't feel SICK, exactly, but the smell was just so strong that it made me gag. Is this something that I should be concerned about or will it eventually go away?

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Dandy Shrew posted:

Quick question:
I had pretty mild morning sickness in the first trimester, not really going so far as to actually get sick, but was pretty nauseous for a long go of things. It got much better around 12 weeks and hasn't been an issue at all, but I'm still sensitive to smells when I'm not completely congested. My husband just opened the door to the kitchen where his brother with questionable hygiene just made a cup of coffee, and I smelled it in a waft from the sitting room across the hall, and then proceeded to lose my dinner. I don't feel SICK, exactly, but the smell was just so strong that it made me gag. Is this something that I should be concerned about or will it eventually go away?

It should go away definitely by the time you have the baby. ;) I wouldn't be concerned.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

dreamcatcherkwe posted:

It should go away definitely by the time you have the baby. ;) I wouldn't be concerned.

I had very acute sense of smell for a while post partum too :( Or maybe I just had very strong BO :smith: I distinctly remember feeling like I reeked of sweat ALL THE TIME, ugh.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Panne posted:

I had very acute sense of smell for a while post partum too :( Or maybe I just had very strong BO :smith: I distinctly remember feeling like I reeked of sweat ALL THE TIME, ugh.

But did it make you vomit? All of my nausea went away after I gave birth. I do remember still smelling things quite strongly afterwards for awhile though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

dreamcatcherkwe posted:

But did it make you vomit? All of my nausea went away after I gave birth. I do remember still smelling things quite strongly afterwards for awhile though.

Oh, no it didn't. I've been very lucky to have little morning sickness, even the grossest of nasty smells during the first trimester haven't made me puke :toot: