Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

spoon0042 posted:

I did some searching and poking around* and couldn't find a way to do that exactly. It's possible someone on the Opera forums knows for sure. One thing that did come up was this help page, which says holding ctrl + scrolling does what you want.

* more info than you wanted to know: most of this stuff is configured with plain text files and oddly this doesn't seem to show up anywhere so I can only conclude it's hard coded like that.

Thanks for the info, I'm familiar with the ctrl + scrolling option. But I sit a bit far away from the pc, and the keyboard is not wireless. I use that right click + wheel option with firefox (add-on), but I don't want to switch because of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

mike12345 posted:

I use that right click + wheel option with firefox (add-on), but I don't want to switch because of that.
If it's a keyboard issue only, you could use the slider in the bottom right of the Opera window.

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009
You could try this and map ctrl + and ctrl - to mouse gestures:
http://my.opera.com/shoust/blog/making-mouse-gestures-send-keyboard-shortcuts-in-windows
I haven't tested it myself, though. You could look into hotkey programs that do the same if that doesn't work... actually, that might be a lot easier than forcing Opera to handle it. :v:

There's a zoom option you can apparently select in the mouse setup, but I just can't get it to work at all. :argh: No matter what I bind it to, it just won't activate.

Is there something I'm missing here that could make it work?

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

naptalan posted:

Is there something I'm missing here that could make it work?

Like the commenter does in their example (Zoom in,10), you need to supply a percentage to zoom in by.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

AbstractNapper posted:

If it's a keyboard issue only, you could use the slider in the bottom right of the Opera window.

Yeah, you can even just hover your mouse over it and scroll. That's what I usually do.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Does anyone else have Opera Mobile on Android always first open the same page when opening?

In my case it's http://i.imgur.com/bwJad.gif

I can't tell you how many times I've seen that cat jump out of the module.

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.

Wheany posted:

Does anyone else have Opera Mobile on Android always first open the same page when opening?

YES! I had to uninstall Opera on my phone because it was sooo annoying. No matter what you do it would re-open that page and you would have to exit the browser, reopen the tab and then it would open the correct page. So frustrating.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I don't have that problem but I find it will often reload every loving window for no good reason. Like I have them loaded, then press the home button, send a message or something and come back 30 seconds later and it has to reopen everything. Often it will also just gently caress up and lose all of the tabs.

I should probably just give up and use the android browser but it's still relatively feature poor.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
New build - 1633

I think my fast forward problem fixed itself. Hopefully other stuff too.

edit: spoke too soon. after a while some "show image" gets stuck in the ff button.

Polygynous fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Oct 23, 2012

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

spoon0042 posted:

edit: spoke too soon. after a while some "show image" gets stuck in the ff button.

I'm both happy and sad, on the one hand I'm not crazy and on the other FF is indeed broke'd.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
Have another build (1639)

Some bugfixes, including the Linux crash one supposedly fixed if you were having that problem.

Sonic H
Dec 8, 2004

Me love you long time

Wheany posted:

Sometimes, sometimes not. I get it happening less than it doesn't happen. I haven't worked out why it does because I always exit (as opposed to switch back to main menu). I'm on ICS if that makes a difference.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

I'm looking for some solution to highlighting multiple search terms in a page. All I found was this and it doesn't work for me (Opera/9.80 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; U; IBM EVV/3.0/EAK01AG9/LE; en) Presto/2.10.289 Version/12.02). Use case is, for example, quickly scanning SA forums to find some info. Any ideas?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

omeg posted:

I'm looking for some solution to highlighting multiple search terms in a page. All I found was this and it doesn't work for me (Opera/9.80 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; U; IBM EVV/3.0/EAK01AG9/LE; en) Presto/2.10.289 Version/12.02). Use case is, for example, quickly scanning SA forums to find some info. Any ideas?

Press the forward slash button?

edit: or maybe you mean highlight two or more different search terms instead of just multiple instances of one search term in which case I dunno.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Yeah, different words at the same time.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
New build (1644). Supposedly they're getting close to final. Again I'd love to see their bug tracker. (For instance, flash disappeared again...)

edit: flash works sometimes. I have to go to opera:plugins and hit refresh a few times. wtf.

edit for Oct 31: 1646 is out. Supposedly fixed things. Not any of the half-dozen things I care about. No flash at all again for one.

Polygynous fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Oct 31, 2012

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Well about time, since I think their last release was in June?

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.
Has anyone been having any stability issues, especially on Facebook? Opera crashes all the time when I view Facebook albums.

Sonic H
Dec 8, 2004

Me love you long time

Startacus posted:

Has anyone been having any stability issues, especially on Facebook? Opera crashes all the time when I view Facebook albums.

Nope, mine's ok. A bit sluggish, but I put that down to Facebook being poo poo.

I still have issues with Flash not working on certain websites under Opera despite multiple updates/reinstalls.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Startacus posted:

Sometimes (maybe ten or fifteen percent of the time?) Opera will just drop dead and vanish when I go to http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

prefect posted:

Sometimes (maybe ten or fifteen percent of the time?) Opera will just drop dead and vanish when I go to http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com
What version are you using? I've had that specific site open in a tab for weeks now and never had a problem with 12.02-1578.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

RoadCrewWorker posted:

What version are you using? I've had that specific site open in a tab for weeks now and never had a problem with 12.02-1578.

Version
Build
Platform
Win32
System
Windows 7

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

prefect posted:

I've had Yahoo news related pages murder Opera on occasion. When I open Opera again I have to hunt down and Ctrl+W the Yahoo page before it loads or it will kill it again. Probably something javascript related but who knows.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2012/11/01/opera-12-10-rc1

RC1 is out. Was anything fixed? Who knows?

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
At least unlike the last build it supposedly doesn't crash anymore if you happen to type "^^" someplace. :)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Ape Agitator posted:

I've had Yahoo news related pages murder Opera on occasion. When I open Opera again I have to hunt down and Ctrl+W the Yahoo page before it loads or it will kill it again. Probably something javascript related but who knows.

Yeah, I'm sure it's something like Javascript involved. Or maybe something ad-related, or involving the counting of "how many articles have you read this month" that the NY Times does. It's not a huge problem. (I would much rather they fix the thing where the loading bar moves up the page as the page moves, and doesn't get redrawn.)

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Personally I think it's ridiculous to call anything release candidate that has even occasional issues with sites that are as popular as Yahoo or NY Times.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
And RC2 is out already.

Says it fixes one of my major problems (DSK-376406 High CPU usage when Downloads list not empty) so maybe I won't have to resort to ridiculous hacks to make Opera usable. :v:

edit: also it's available as a "next" build if you either don't want it overwriting your stable settings or want to keep using your settings from earlier next builds.

edit: and RC3 now as well.

Polygynous fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Nov 2, 2012

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
RC3 feels pretty good to me so far, I have to say. It feels snappier than recent ones I've tried, and the only site I've had problems on is Google+, where clicking profile links just doesn't work most of the time and clicking photos generally takes about 10 seconds.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
Apparently if you try to download Opera 12.10 using Opera [12.02 in my case] it will try to force you to download the mobile browser.

That's pretty embarrassing.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Looks like RC4 got the nod. I have to say it's a lot more ready than a release has been in a while.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
It never ceases to surprise me how they manage to botch each and every release at apparently the last moment by introducing annoying bug(s).

This time it's not being able to see text selection on GMail, near unusable HTML5 youtube video, disappearing folders in rapidshare... That is, on top of a bunch of other bugs that Opera drags for months or years now and have been reported time and again.

I guess they consider it acceptable to have a series of long-time reported bugs that mess up the users' browsing experience and force them to switch (even temporarily) to another browser.

And a few builds ago, I actually had a good feeling for 12.10.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I keep having trouble staying logged in on the forums with Opera android. Roughly half of the time I log in and it just doesn't accept the cookie or something. Anyone else having this issue?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Also I have the same IMAP email accounts open in Opera on two different desktops and one of them is missing a few emails that are in my inbox on the other client.

What the hell is wrong with this browser? Is it the threaded view loving things up or something?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Just installed Opera and loving it but something is annoying the poo poo out of me.

It seems opera does not remember the zoom settings on the websites you bookmark or visit. The text is way too small by default on my monitor so I have to zoom in a couple times. On chrome and firefox I just had to do this once for a webpage and then the browser remembers the setting each time I visit. In Opera it keeps resetting to the default zoom level when I relaunch the site. Any idea how to fix this or is this how it is in Opera?

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

keyframe posted:

Just installed Opera and loving it but something is annoying the poo poo out of me.

It seems opera does not remember the zoom settings on the websites you bookmark or visit. The text is way too small by default on my monitor so I have to zoom in a couple times. On chrome and firefox I just had to do this once for a webpage and then the browser remembers the setting each time I visit. In Opera it keeps resetting to the default zoom level when I relaunch the site. Any idea how to fix this or is this how it is in Opera?

I don't think Opera has a setting to remember zoom levels like that.

But on the other hand, what Opera does handle nicely and politely is _lots of loving tabs_ so many Opera users over time just end up having tons of windows open indefinitely and use either the list of tabs/'windows' in the sidebar, or tab groups up top to manage what they're doing. If you never close a tab you've zoomed in on, it won't forget the zoom level :v:

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
The fact that Firefox automatically remembers zoom levels for sites is a pretty nice feature, yeah. You can do it with saved sessions in Opera, which is obviously more complicated.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

keyframe posted:

As an alternative, you might want to try

Tools -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Fonts -> Minimum font size

This can occasionally mess up layouts on some websites, and if there's text that's actually supposed to be really tiny then it will come up as normal sized, but it does help make everything much more readable.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
Minimum font size is a really nice feature.

They've also released version 12.11 (snapshot?). Tired of 12.10 already?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I'm running Opera 12.10 in MDI mode (ever since like Opera 3), but this latest upgrade's done something weird when opening images in a new tab. I'm in Windows 8 Pro.
I usually have a zoom of between 150% and 180% because I'm further away from my monitors than standard text is appropriate for, and when I open images in a new tab, it's zooming the centering borders as well as the image itself.
Say I open up a 100x100 pixel image at 100%. It appears in the middle of a tab that's around 1000x800. If I zoom, the image gets shoved to the bottom-right corner rather than staying centered in the tab. Even if the zoomed image is still smaller than the tab's dimensions, I'll get scroll bars.
I haven't been able to find a setting to fix this, and the Opera forums appear to be silent on it. Anyone else have/solve this?