Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Shalinor posted:

It would help if you could upload youtube video or a gif, to show us that in motion. It... might not be as bad as you think. It might even be good, if you're describing what I think you are. Some flicker in the crayoned coloring would give it character.
Haha, I wish it was flicker in color, but it's just that there isn't enough consistency in the size of the moving parts. What I'm doing is essentially digital cut-out animation. There are static bits with moving parts, and it's just that I can't keep 'em the same size.

I might try building a backlight table so I can get that consistency, but I'll have to see how much that'll run me. I dunno, maybe I can just slow down the wings on the back, they're just supposed to be there to give the illusion that the sprite is "breathing."

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Oct 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
That looks pretty good actually dude. I'm pretty sure it would gel with your backdrops nicely. Have you got any footage of it running in a level like that?

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha
Yeah that's great and I'm pretty sure would work way better against your backgrounds than the current sprite.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
Uh, this is awesome dude. Way better than your other sprites, especially in terms of fitting into the world.

Rubber Slug
Aug 7, 2010

THE BLUE DEMON RIDES AGAIN
A thought occurred to me while watching a GoPro video. Why don't video games utilize 5-point perspective? As it is, standard field of view ranges can be pretty limiting. Widening them causes ugly and "unrealistic" distortion. Five-point perspective would give a more camera-like fisheye effect, like so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LERyU-Y3m0

Obviously that's a pretty extreme example, but it could be easily reduced. So why don't more games implement this?

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Rubber Slug posted:

Obviously that's a pretty extreme example, but it could be easily reduced. So why don't more games implement this?
It's a non-trivial expense to no effect. Even done at low levels, that would give me moton sickness, and I'm not sure who would want to use it.

It would be especially problematic in online games. It would give an advantage to those few that actually wanted to use it, driving away everyone but the core of the core.

EDIT: if I were you, I'd just start making boxes bite other boxes, make one of them be your player dude in a chase cam style, and see what sticks. Also, if you're attached to aRPG combat, that would be a reason to go Unity. UDK takes a lot of hacking, to produce competent aRPG combat. (whereas if you wanted shooting guns, I'd recommend UDK, since it makes that way easier)

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Oct 22, 2012

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Would just like to post about a project I'm starting, as I'd like to gather some feedback and gauge interest in what I'm doing.

I don't want to go on in too much detail, but broadly, I want to make a game about Vampiric Citycraft. As a Vampire you exert influence over a settlement and feed from the populace, basically you farm people. You develop your Vampire character, build his castle home and control a settlement to provide a feeding ground. I'd like to make it about balance, how if you feed heavily you shrink the population, drive people away and create competition in new vampires. With regards to goals, progression would take the form of you arranging to move to the next settlement (you need to meet criteria to do so, think Theme Hospital)

I was going to use Unity, since I'm quite familiar with C#, but there's a part of me that wants try it with UDK first, since I want to be able to use it, think it makes you more employable. For the free-moving portions I was going to use top-down perspective, so shouldn't be too hard in either one. Management stuff is probably much easier with Unity. I'd like for cool action-adventure combat, but that's something that's hard to implement which doesn't actually strengthen the core of the game. Maybe if things work I can work it into a later iteration, but as it is it will be much more basic, just swing the sword, maybe block.

I need to determine the "rules" of Vampirism, how people will be turned, since the obvious of biting someone and they change right away won't really allow for hunting down feral vampires competing for food, you just kill them right away. I think I want to allow you to make vampires on purpose, or avoid it, but not with complete reliability. Perhaps I could prototype this stuff but I think it might be something I need to straighten out before going too far.

Maybe this doesn't seem too coherent, I'd just like to get moving with this and don't know if I should plan heavily on paper first or get stuck in and see what works, throwing ideas at it and seeing what sticks.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I don't have any opinion on the engine (Unity is probably better for ease-of-use, but I have no experience with either for 3D). In terms of the game you should definitely try to get a solid idea of the core design values of your game even if you don't have the minutiae -- how does the city-building aspect work? How does the top-down combat mesh with controlling your own caste of vampires? I am a huge fan of iteration through implementation, but you should definitely sort some of the questions you brought up before getting too much farther.

I've personally finally started working on a game after being hired back in June :toot: I'm using Futile for Unity and spent two hours yesterday alternatively watching Sabrina, playing Brogue, and putting together the ubiquitous camera system that all 2D games uses (follow player, bounded by a rectangle, only moves if the player is near the edge of the rectangle)

We're not even at programmer art, we're at images grabbed from Google based on the first word that came to my mind :v:

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Yup, this is awesome. Good job. It looks fine!

I just spent several hours trying to think of how to get the player to the other side of the spikes.

First idea was
You'd pop it and platforms would appear, but that's too much like Yoshi's island. Was going to make it carry an enemy in distress, like a fish out of water, and when you pop it, they say thanks, and a platform appears, but that's a pain to code. And why are you helping enemies yet throwing them into walls elsewhere?

Then, tried this

It's a forest level, it just seemed wrong, too mechanical. I'll clean it up and maybe save it for a more mechanical level.

Then, tried

It's a ghost-like platform that wakes up and moves somewhere more convenient when you ring the bell, which you can do by throwing something at it with the gravity gun, or punching it if you're close.

I can kind of build on that mechanic, ghost like entities can react to bells, other things lights, electronic things switches, etc, so I think that's what I'll do.

Seems like I spend more time making things I CAN'T use.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Oct 22, 2012

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Seems like I spend more time making things I CAN'T use.
You'll get some surprising usage out of things you wouldn't necessarily expect. Hell, even though it'd take a lot of work, a scripted "help this monster" bit can be really charming, and that's what I take away from games, at least.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!

New playable version- click the picture to play! I added a CRT filter. I think I like the look of it but I'd definitely like some feedback on it. Is it annoying to look at or does it help with the look and feel? Robot sprites are still way temporary. Z is confirm and Shift is cancel. Thanks for taking the time to try this out- I'm excited to be making this much progress!

DeathBySpoon fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Oct 22, 2012

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
So, the deadline for IGF submissions is in 9 days, and we've got what I think is a pretty solid entry, but even so, any way I can conscript a few goons to play through the latest build and give feedback? I'll PM the link if you say yes, or otherwise give me some means to send you the link... :shobon:

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

DeathBySpoon posted:

New playable version- click the picture to play! I added a CRT filter. I think I like the look of it but I'd definitely like some feedback on it. Is it annoying to look at or does it help with the look and feel? Robot sprites are still way temporary. Z is confirm and Shift is cancel. Thanks for taking the time to try this out- I'm excited to be making this much progress!

The effect is subtle and looks nice when you're in combat, but for some reason it seems a lot more prominent outside of combat, and it seems to make things too blurry. I'm not sure if you can change the intensity of the effect, but maybe dial it down when you're out of combat? The effect is also really noticeable in the post-combat screen, but it works really well there.

I actually really like the RoboSkel sprites, by the way. The new ones definitely look temporary, but I could easily see RoboSkel being final art.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

GetWellGamers posted:

So, the deadline for IGF submissions is in 9 days, and we've got what I think is a pretty solid entry, but even so, any way I can conscript a few goons to play through the latest build and give feedback? I'll PM the link if you say yes, or otherwise give me some means to send you the link... :shobon:

Shoot a link my way if you'd like, I have PMs.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

DeathBySpoon posted:

It would be nice if there was some way to check the turn order, so you can plan ahead in battle.

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha

Actually I already said this was awesome but it struck me right now that it'd be even more awesome if you could draw the static main body part another couple of times or so and loop it (like just draw exactly the same thing so that the slight inconsistencies cause it to flicker in a nice way. That'd be great and also help it pop out from the background more which you were worried about)

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

DeathBySpoon posted:

This seems pretty slick, but for stuff that's not fullscreen, don't hide the mouse from people. Since it's in the browser (I realize this is a demo, but this could apply to your release as well), people may want to switch tabs and such, and that's more than a little difficult if you can't see where you're pointing.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

DeathBySpoon posted:

Nah, the snow effect is actually pretty cool, it fits in well.

Edit: Oh, there's a CRT filter. It looks fine, I barely noticed it actually...

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 22, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

So, I've finally decided that I'm going to take my game idea and get it done in Stencyl. Initially, I wanted to start with Unity, but I think I'll work my way up there, seeing as though this is my first game ever. The game involves nothing crazy that requires 3D, though ideally, I'd want a more flexible engine than Flash, maybe for some subtle 3D effects, or just to have the option available. For now, I won't need them.

I guess the most important part would be to actually get SOMETHING done, rather than just watch and try tutorial after tutorial for Unity or Blender, when all I really want is some gameplay. Implementation and tweaking can come later.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

GetWellGamers posted:

I'd give it a go. PM me.

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper

GetWellGamers posted:

I would totally play something. I can also string sentences together in a cogent manner so my feedback might actually be helpful.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

Gordon Cole posted:

I'm not sure if you can change the intensity of the effect, but maybe dial it down when you're out of combat?

I actually really like the RoboSkel sprites, by the way. The new ones definitely look temporary, but I could easily see RoboSkel being final art.

Yeah, I can definitely adjust this. I'll give it a shot and see. Also, it's good to know RoboSkel looks good- I can definitely do other robots at that level of quality, so maybe art won't be as big of a deal as I was expecting. Thanks!

Mercury_Storm posted:

It would be nice if there was some way to check the turn order, so you can plan ahead in battle.

This is definitely planned.

G-Prime posted:

This seems pretty slick, but for stuff that's not fullscreen, don't hide the mouse from people. Since it's in the browser (I realize this is a demo, but this could apply to your release as well), people may want to switch tabs and such, and that's more than a little difficult if you can't see where you're pointing.

I think at some point I'm going to allow the player to make menu choices via the mouse, so this will definitely come too. I didn't think about it being an issue now, though, so new demos will leave the mouse visible at the very least.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, it helps a lot!

Oddx
Sep 9, 2005

GetWellGamers posted:

Is this for the student submissions? Main comp deadline was the 17th. Either way would be happy to give feedback!

DeathBySpoon posted:

I love the CRT effect.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
The CRT filter rules, it makes the game not look like Flash, which is hard to do!

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

seiken posted:

Actually I already said this was awesome but it struck me right now that it'd be even more awesome if you could draw the static main body part another couple of times or so and loop it (like just draw exactly the same thing so that the slight inconsistencies cause it to flicker in a nice way. That'd be great and also help it pop out from the background more which you were worried about)

I couldn't quite put my finger on why it looked "wrong" to me, but this is exactly it. I think it would look better if the whole dragon was redrawn/recoloured for each frame, even if it doesn't actually move. It would give it a more "doodled" look. With just the moving parts being redrawn, it looks like they're somehow disconnected from his body.

It doesn't have to be full-on squigglevision, but like Seiken said, just a little bit of variation in the main body on each frame would help make it look more animated and consistent with the moving parts.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
Figures everyone says yes right after I go to bed.

Oddx posted:

Is this for the student submissions? Main comp deadline was the 17th. Either way would be happy to give feedback!

Yes, it's for the student version. Funny thing, since the team is half students and half alumni, we checked and it's actually okay for us to enter both. We got in main comp on the 17th, and we're gonna update out main judging build on the 31st when we submit our student one, too.

In any case, PMs sent, don't hold back!

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

DeathBySpoon posted:

The CRT filter rocks.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

Ok, updated the overworld filter- now its intensity varies based on your proximity to enemies. Also fixed a bug where the level up message wasn't showing when it should.

http://aarondgordon.com/amt/rpg/RPG.swf

Now I can stop fiddling with fun things like filters and actually make a stat screen / turn order display...

DeathBySpoon fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Oct 22, 2012

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

DeathBySpoon posted:

Ok, updated the overworld filter- now its intensity varies based on your proximity to enemies.

Nice idea, that's a really cool effect. It looks great.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Wow, got a lot done tonight in a relatively short amount of time.

Firstly, added a new gameplay mechanic - now you can adjust the "harmonics" of your shields. The mechanic is pretty simple - if your shield color matches the color of the enemy fire, you take dramatically less damage. But changing your shield harmonics takes Mark22 (the guy who also handles weapons) 15 seconds or so, so in the heat of battle it might not be worth the time!

The shield effect looks really cool in motion (a shimmering spherical grid) but doesn't screencap well, d'oh!!

Secondly, and more importantly, I tied every game action to a timer.

Nothing happens instantaneously in this game - you issue an order to a crewmember, he works for a set amount of time, and then it happens. Certain things take only a few seconds (changing speeds, rotating the ship) while other things can take 20 or so seconds (adjusting laser and shield harmonics). Each crew member has his own timer, so you're not just sitting there - while Mark22 is adjusting the laser harmonics, you can tell Digby to fly around, scan objects with Jerry, etc. In the screenshot above, Digby is almost finished setting a new course for the ship.

I had written code for the timer before, but until tonight I hadn't actually tied to the timer to game events, everything was happening instantly. I'm really happy with how well this piece is coded, all you do is pass an integer (amount of time, in seconds) and an action to the timer and the game handles the rest.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
So I went to a GameJam on the weekend wherein I made a simple text adventure in Python. It's finite-state, and it took me two days of blood and tears, but I only started learning how to program about a month ago so I am quite proud of myself!

http://pastebin.com/1DrpPtcK

Also learnt GIT in the process. GIT is amazing. :aaaaa:

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
gently caress yes, took a few hours of debugging to get clockwise-rotation working correctly but here's my super cool smooth new vision cones in action (I actually tweaked them more after recording this so they're even smoother now)!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWbQ1v5TPaE

edit: Watch until the end for a bonus look at the smooth vision code (super boring stuff!)

Mug fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Oct 23, 2012

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
I guess I'll talk about my thing I made. It's an engine for text-adventures I programmed in Java. The catch is that it draws the informations of the game through XML-files. By assigning values to properties, you could refer to objects and actions.
The idea was to make adventure games more accessible to people with little to none programming skills. I tried contacting some people to try writing an adventure on their own, but nothing came out of it. I'd write a fully-fledged game with it, if I had the time.

As for now, I'm working on concept art for a game called "A Hat In Time". It's on Steam Greenlight, but the project is waaaaay to young to be presentable in any competitive manner. It's really fun coming up with designs and seeing them come alive, though.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
I'm interested in this Hat in Time you have. I saw a video of it, did you just do the art or it's a project you're doing entirely yourself? It looks fairly cool.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Mug posted:

I'm interested in this Hat in Time you have. I saw a video of it, did you just do the art or it's a project you're doing entirely yourself? It looks fairly cool.

I'm just doing the concept art and textures, though I help out in game design as well.
The game is a collaborative between several people, with a guy called Mecha the Slag leading the whole thing.
I probably won't get too involved in the code or 3D-modeling.

Also, here's a site on adventure game design you can include in the OP: http://www.adventuredevelopers.com/

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Polo-Rican posted:

Firstly, added a new gameplay mechanic - now you can adjust the "harmonics" of your shields. The mechanic is pretty simple - if your shield color matches the color of the enemy fire, you take dramatically less damage. But changing your shield harmonics takes Mark22 (the guy who also handles weapons) 15 seconds or so, so in the heat of battle it might not be worth the time!

The shield effect looks really cool in motion (a shimmering spherical grid) but doesn't screencap well, d'oh!!

Cool, I'm using a similar shield mechanic in my game, but with a single scale of Energy<->Matter instead of a three-factor blend. Are you doing anything to make the different spectrums enhance different gameplay aspects, so for instance a certain color of shields would work better with various other configurations? My notion is that energy weapons will focus on disabling systems, but matter weapons will focus on fires, plasma leaks, and ultimately total destruction of the ship. So certain ships will tend to specialize in one type of weapon or another, meaning ships expecting to have trouble with those ships will probably do the same with their shields.

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper
I just wanted to jump in and say that GetWellGamers' game is absolutely great.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Oh, one more useful site I didn't see in the OP: http://cgcookie.com/
You'd think it'd be related to cgtalk, but I couldn't find a connection.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

SlightlyMadman posted:

Cool, I'm using a similar shield mechanic in my game, but with a single scale of Energy<->Matter instead of a three-factor blend. Are you doing anything to make the different spectrums enhance different gameplay aspects, so for instance a certain color of shields would work better with various other configurations? My notion is that energy weapons will focus on disabling systems, but matter weapons will focus on fires, plasma leaks, and ultimately total destruction of the ship. So certain ships will tend to specialize in one type of weapon or another, meaning ships expecting to have trouble with those ships will probably do the same with their shields.

Ah, no, my system is really overly simple - if your shield matches the enemy laser color you take way less damage and that's it. You can also tune your lasers in the exact way — generally only worth it if an enemy's shield matches your laser.

My screenshot is a little misleading, those three bars actually represent the power currently allocated to Weapons, Engines, and Shields, not the rgb value of your shields or something. I need to label them. (edit: urg, I just now realized that the bar that represents shields is blue, but you can tune your shields to be other colors. Hmm.)

Your system sounds great since your game is more tactical — mine will feel more like an adventure game (I don't want to say "lucasarts" since the word comes with such lofty expectations).

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Oct 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
I'm having some physics issues :sigh:

Old physics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1n2iCDN0wM Kinda long, jump 3:20 for the gravity gun, jumping is all over.

New Physics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FttSgFGJSIw

Someone said my jumps need to be more parabolic, and that the gravity gun should work more like a trebuchet.

Torque2d doesn't really support friction slowing down an object over time. I was using damping, but that reduces all physics including gravity, and linear forces applied upward, making the jump fall off really quickly instead of slowing down a bit first.

Anyone else use torque?

What I did to resolve it was put some code in to set the linear x velocity 80% of what it was last loop per 32ms if the player is grounded. Not sure if that's the right way to do it, though. Almost wish I was using XNA and had more control.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Oct 24, 2012