Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

angst emotion posted:

Thread, can you recommend a place for dim sum? I'm assuming somewhere on Buford Highway, but I haven't been out that way for a few years.

Canton House is pretty good in this goon's opinion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

signalnoise posted:

I switch between Canton House and Royal China which is just down the road from Buford. The wait time seems shorter at Royal China.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

angst emotion posted:

Thread, can you recommend a place for dim sum? I'm assuming somewhere on Buford Highway, but I haven't been out that way for a few years.

I've liked Hong Kong Harbour, which is on Cheshire Bridge between Woodland ave and the Heretic (basically next to Taverna Plaka).

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

My 28th birthday is today. A female friend recommend I go to Barcelona Wine Bar, to which I responded, "Can I go alone?" since tonight isn't especially convenient for people. From what I can tell, it would be a bad idea.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 22, 2012

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur

Josh Lyman posted:

My 28th birthday is today. A female friend recommend I go to Barcelona Wine Bar, to which I responded, "Can I go alone?" since tonight isn't especially convenient for people. From what I can tell, it would be a bad idea.

Why are you having your birthday dinner alone?

Go to Manuel's tavern, tonight will be great for alone birthday party action.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

what is this posted:

Why are you having your birthday dinner alone?
Some colleagues invited me to go to the Vortex at 7pm. That will conclude by 8:30pm, so there's still plenty of time for drinks.

quote:

Go to Manuel's tavern, tonight will be great for alone birthday party action.
Is there something special about Monday nights or tonight in particular?

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Josh Lyman posted:

Is there something special about Monday nights or tonight in particular?

Tonight is the presedential debate.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

venutolo posted:

Tonight is the presedential debate.

And who knows who you will see in there.

http://peachtreekeen.tumblr.com/post/33433150505/jesse-jackson-watching-the-vp-debate-at-manuels

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur
I've been going to every debate at Manuel's and it is lots of fun. Smoke a bunch, drink a ton, yell at the screen.

In fact I'm there right now. Good bar seats mean getting there early.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

what is this posted:

I've been going to every debate at Manuel's and it is lots of fun. Smoke a bunch, drink a ton, yell at the screen.

In fact I'm there right now. Good bar seats mean getting there early.
Hmm, I might have to go then.

How is Holeman & Finch for drinks in the late evening? I feel like the crowd might be too old and upscale for me.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Oct 23, 2012

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Esto es un infierno. Estoy en el infierno.

Josh Lyman posted:

How is Holeman & Finch for drinks in the late evening? I feel like the crowd might be too old and upscale for me.

Holeman & Finch is full of yuppies and hipsters. You'll be fine.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

signalnoise posted:

canton house is the bees knees in atlanta for dim sum. I've been to a lot of other acceptable places, but canton has been the best for ~6 years now, in my experience.

hong kong harbor makes me sad, but it's a lot closer to where I live. overcooked dumpling skins falling off shrimp filling, bbq pork buns still frozen on the inside, bad service, etc. I mean it's still food, but if you aren't absolutely starving or in a rush, make the trek to buford.

Josh Lyman posted:

you sound like you're making yourself really sad on your birthday. :(

hope you ended up with a good time, but for the record, holeman+finch isn't old or upscale. unless you consider 30 year olds old, or upscale to be a 35-50$ check pp after drinks and tip. which I guess that's a little upscale, but I'm in my late 20s, not a gazillionaire, and I eat at 1-2 places like that a week.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

mindphlux posted:

not a gazillionaire, and I eat at 1-2 places like that a week.

I think I figured out why you're not a gazillionaire.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I don't have any debt, don't buy expensive clothes, my car is from 1997, don't go to sporting events, I don't spend any money on omg xbawx or movies or whatever, I don't even have cable TV - but spending money on food and wine? (and I guess travel?) It's what makes life worth living! :)

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
If you don't waste nearly all your expendable income on food and drink, you're wasting it.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
I waste a lot of mine at the Brick Store and Takorea. Well, the two dollar tacos on Tuesdays.

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Esto es un infierno. Estoy en el infierno.

mindphlux posted:

I don't have any debt, don't buy expensive clothes, my car is from 1997, don't go to sporting events, I don't spend any money on omg xbawx or movies or whatever, I don't even have cable TV - but spending money on food and wine? (and I guess travel?) It's what makes life worth living! :)

This man knows what's up.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

antisodachrist posted:

I waste a lot of mine at the Brick Store and Takorea. Well, the two dollar tacos on Tuesdays.
Money spent at Brick Store is never wasted. :colbert:

Also, the cocktails at H&F are ridiculous. They're so small but they get you so drunk! (Also: birthday shot)

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

Money spent at Brick Store is never wasted. :colbert:

Also, the cocktails at H&F are ridiculous. They're so small but they get you so drunk! (Also: birthday shot)

True, but living down the street from there has lightened my wallet on more than a few occasions.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I live across the street too, and I just can't do it anymore. I love their cocktails and wine, but if I get either, my bill is like 2x what it otherwise is after ~3-5 cocktails or a bottle of wine. I've taken to drinking tons of cider at a reasonable $5.50 - their food usually makes me want cider for some reason anyways.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

antisodachrist posted:

True, but living down the street from there has lightened my wallet on more than a few occasions.

mindphlux posted:

I live across the street too
If you guys are also regulars at Brick Store, maybe we know each other IRL. :tinfoil:

nicad
Feb 21, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

If you guys are also regulars at Brick Store, maybe we know each other IRL. :tinfoil:

I know mindphlux :o

..or well I used to

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
Is it safe to buy seafood from the Dekalb farmer's market? I went there today instead of the Buford Highway market and holy poo poo did it smell bad. Buford is set up the same way, fish on ice and live stuff swimming around, but they don't have nearly the fishy smell and the seafood is always delicious.

I really wanted the $1.69/lb mussels but I couldn't bring myself to buy any seafood there because it was so stinky. Am I just paranoid? Do any of you guys buy seafood there?

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Their packaged smoked salmon has been good stuff, but it has been ages since we've gotten any other seafood there---I don't see how those smell issues could be anything other than bad timing at the very least as you certainly don't want that when after seafood.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
My personal opinion is that if it is frozen, you're pretty much safe but that doesn't necessarily mean it is good quality stuff.

Nam Dae Mun market near me has some great fresh seafood I've had good results with. Specifically they have nice shrimp, live blue crabs, and live clams and mussels. I have not yet tried the live tilapia or catfish but they certainly look healthy in the tanks. I also have not yet tried any of the fresh fish, mostly because there are so many other people there that I don't feel like waiting in line. Maybe all those people are a good sign?

I've always been told that you should look for clear eyes in whole fish and a smell that is less fishy and more like the ocean. Excessive fishy smell is not good.

Some Atlanta stores as well as restaurants make trips down to the Gulf regularly to get fresh stuff. Ask them where their stuff is from; if they act shady about it that's not good, either.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!

Powdered Toast Man posted:

My personal opinion is that if it is frozen, you're pretty much safe but that doesn't necessarily mean it is good quality stuff.

Nam Dae Mun market near me has some great fresh seafood I've had good results with. Specifically they have nice shrimp, live blue crabs, and live clams and mussels. I have not yet tried the live tilapia or catfish but they certainly look healthy in the tanks. I also have not yet tried any of the fresh fish, mostly because there are so many other people there that I don't feel like waiting in line. Maybe all those people are a good sign?

I've always been told that you should look for clear eyes in whole fish and a smell that is less fishy and more like the ocean. Excessive fishy smell is not good.

Some Atlanta stores as well as restaurants make trips down to the Gulf regularly to get fresh stuff. Ask them where their stuff is from; if they act shady about it that's not good, either.

That's what threw me off so much - the fish all looked pretty fresh, they all had clear eyes and nothing was frozen. I didn't smell any up close, but it all looked legitimate. It's just that the second you walk by the seafood section of the store you're hit with a nauseating bad seafood odor, but if that's from something like the live catfish or anything else that I'm overlooking I want to know because they had some pretty rockin' prices.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I've had some REALLY bad experiences with the dekalb farmer's market seafood actually. So bad that last time I thought about complaining to their customer service department, but :effort: .

about 3 months ago my girl bought some flounder filets from them while I was off doing other shopping. I don't normally buy filets just because of freshness concerns, but.... so they smelled a little fishy when we got home. I was like 'yeah I think those are bad' but katie was like 'no! I just bought them!'. and we kept them on ice and everything in the car ride, so I was like whatever.

my SOP with fish is to rinse it off when I get home, pat dry with paper towels, then place on a fresh paper towel, cover with saran wrap, and store in fridge. it's just what I've learned when working in restaurants with fish not being cooked that same day, so... I did that.

something came up, and we couldn't cook the filets that night - so anyways, we came up to the fridge the next day and were like ...... oh god... what is that smell??? we opened our fridge and it was like serious, serious pukefest rotten fish smell. we threw it away, but literally we had baking soda in the fridge for 2 weeks changing it out daily, and the smell still lingered. literally it wasn't even tolerable until we took every single item out of our fridge and either threw it away, or washed glass bottles with soap and water, scrubbed all the shelves down, and sides of the fridge. it was horrible.

I've also bought two other things from the filet side that have been horrible - this was just the worst. bought some skate wing once that smelled ok, but once I cooked (and ate) it I got a giant mouthful of ammonia and basically have been a little afraid of skate ever since - completely irrationally.

anyways, so - no. if you have any doubts about the fish from the dekalb farmers market, take them seriously. I won't buy anything from there in the future without smelling it myself.

do me a favor and complain to them next time you're in. now that I've written all this out, I think I will too. It's such a great market in almost every other respect, I hate for that to be a blight on my experience there.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
I did go there once like 3 years ago, and I remember that the first thing I smelled upon entering was terrible fish. I also remember that a friend of mine declined to go, based on the fact that it always smelled like terrible fish. I'm glad I didn't get any of the fish.

On the other hand, they actually had sichuan peppercorns and a bunch of reasonably priced produce and I couldn't afford any of the meat but it all looked spectacular. Also they had tons of cheap cheese which we bought the hell out of and I can't wait to dive into it. It was super great for everything besides protein, but I did see that they had a shitload of Patak sausages, grass fed beef and like buffalo so if I actually made a living wage I'm sure I'd love the meat selection.

Frankly, what is most terrifying to me out of all of this is that the seafood on buford highway is better than the seafood in decatur.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
it's weird, and a huge shame. everything else in that market is amazing.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
buy all of your produce at murderkroger, take the survey on your receipt, say that i was super sexy and helpful.

then probably kill yourself because you have to shop at murderkroger

edit: the best part of the dekalb farmers market was the $15 bottle of wine they had marked down to $3.99

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I've heard good things about Local Three's brunch back when it was a buffet - anybody know if it's still any good now that it's changed to a la carte?

nadav
Sep 6, 2005
My last name is actually something very jewish. Like Leibovitz, only longer. And more jewish.
Any recommendations for a "nice" (romantic) place for like $50 per person? Anywhere in town or north side. I know there's a lot that fits the criteria. Thinking about Canoe.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

nadav posted:

Any recommendations for a "nice" (romantic) place for like $50 per person? Anywhere in town or north side. I know there's a lot that fits the criteria. Thinking about Canoe.

Canoe is a very nice choice, but you might be brushing against the $50/person limitation. Check out H. Harper Station (although I have really no sense of romance, so I can't tell you how romantic it is).

Edit: I'm going to change my answer to Top Flr as well. Never been there, but I've heard nice things from friends.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Oct 30, 2012

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I was able to get out of 4th and Swift for about 50 bucks, getting a midrange entree and a nice salad.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I think Top Flr is nice and cheap.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

venutolo posted:

I think Top Flr is nice and cheap.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Taqueria Del Sol is doing a dinner to benefit the Southern Foodways Alliance on 11/11, with guest chefs Amy Tornquist and Bill Smith from Durham/Chapel Hill, NC. I'm not the biggest fan of Smith's place, but I can confidently tell you that Amy Tornquist is a drat good chef and her restaurant, Watts Grocery, is easily top 5 in the Triangle.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Grapevine has it that Deckard's American Tavern on Ponce closed.

Eulogy: The food was pretty good for the price, I guess, and their beer list was above average. We'll have to find another place for lunchtime work functions.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

Grapevine has it that Deckard's American Tavern on Ponce closed.

Eulogy: The food was pretty good for the price, I guess, and their beer list was above average. We'll have to find another place for lunchtime work functions.
They stole my favorite server from Taco Mac highlands. I wonder where she's at now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
What's the consensus on Local Three?

Also, I really enjoy the Dekalb Farmer's Market, however I just cannot get my girlfriend to go there with me because the last time we went she was completely flustered by how crowded it was with complete assholes.