Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Bob NewSCART posted:

This works the other way around too, you know that right? You can't just slap some mud flaps on a car and call it a day

Depends on the car, really.

Note: This post is a terrible effort, the car pictured is not terrible in any way.

Anarchist Mae fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Oct 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Memento1979 posted:

Holden Torana Hatch Hutch. This was sold by the factory, to take advantage of the inexplicable Australian fascination with camping.

Camping rocks :argh:

Of course, camping is a lot more fun if you get to do it in something like this:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
My God. That is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. :stare:

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

...and the angel did say, "go forth, and lay waste to all who oppose you"
So much for lusting after a pop-up trailer!

thecobra
Aug 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
It has to be cheap to build because of all the child support you will incur from its use.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Bob NewSCART posted:

This works the other way around too, you know that right? You can't just slap some mud flaps on a car and call it a day

I'm glad someone said this. The WRC cars cost 500K just to get on it's wheels - but then there's the millions in cost in testing and adjusting so each car costs considerably more than it's raw assembly cost. The Juke-R is undeniably far FAR too costly for what it is, but factor in assembly cost and then testing and working out issues ..... I doubt the builders are making much at all, probably even making a loss.

I suppose for the rarity and absolute batshit insane that it is, makes it worth paying the price.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Gorilla Salad posted:

Of course, camping is a lot more fun if you get to do it in something like this:

Oh my god I want this so much it hurts

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

Code Jockey posted:

The plans are still available...

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I too just wanted to declare my love for that van... :swoon:

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Same here. Those wheels are killer.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

grover posted:

And, there have been some attempts at other alternatives...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BNMvBnm14o

I wonder if I could do this with my Honda Fit! :getin:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Gorilla Salad posted:

]

This looks like something I'd be toodling around a post apocalyptic landscape in, going from one dystopian city to another, destroying evil computers and having wacky adventures while wearing polyester jumpsuits. :allears:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I got really confused for a second because a lot of the things from the last two pages simply don't belong in this thread.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Three-Phase posted:

Well that appears to be an early Toyota Corolla so I'm sure a modern Fit would handle that trailer far better.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Three-Phase posted:

I love the logic here.

"So new rollover standards say that a car should be able to withstand 1.5 times its weight on its roof? Good, we'll shoot for just a skoch under that."

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?

Leroy Diplowski posted:

The 85 accord was a great car, and a fantastic looker :colbert:

http://tlaphotography.net/2012/05/15/classy-85-accord/
My older brother's first car was a 1985 se-i with that identical interior and exterior, but with a sunroof, manual transmission, and hail damage. My first car also was an '85, but with the 3-barrel carburetor and automatic transmission. The fuel system itself began corroding, causing it to eventually run on 3 cylinders. Then the brake master cylinder blew, which would then suck all of the air out of the engine, killing it when the brakes were applied. That was "fixed" with a vise grip on the brake hose. I sort of miss it all these years later.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...

Not a single "wrong thread" comment? I so want one of these right the hell now.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Fermunky posted:

Not a single "wrong thread" comment? I so want one of these right the hell now.

kastein posted:

I got really confused for a second because a lot of the things from the last two pages simply don't belong in this thread.

Astroman posted:

This looks like something I'd be toodling around a post apocalyptic landscape in, going from one dystopian city to another, destroying evil computers and having wacky adventures while wearing polyester jumpsuits. :allears:

88h88 posted:

I too just wanted to declare my love for that van... :swoon:

Code Jockey posted:

Maker Of Shoes posted:

My God. That is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. :stare:

I think it's been covered.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

My older brother's first car was a 1985 se-i with that identical interior and exterior, but with a sunroof, manual transmission, and hail damage. My first car also was an '85, but with the 3-barrel carburetor and automatic transmission. The fuel system itself began corroding, causing it to eventually run on 3 cylinders. Then the brake master cylinder blew, which would then suck all of the air out of the engine, killing it when the brakes were applied. That was "fixed" with a vise grip on the brake hose. I sort of miss it all these years later.

That sounds like the brake booster vacuum hose - had that happen on my truck, pushrod seals went bad and it would create a massive vacuum leak when touched, so the engine would get way too much air and almost stall. It was a good excuse to upgrade the booster and master cylinder.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004
This could be the wrong thread, but what is up with people driving with one hand and holding their smartphones raised in the other? They aren't really doing anything with the smartphone, but it still occupies a hand for some reason.

Could it be that they are holding it at the ready, in case their stepsister likes something on facebook? Or is it a status symbol, to show other drivers that their smart phone is newer and more expensive than theirs? Or is it a way of intimidating other drivers, by letting them know that they already don't give a gently caress, and that they'd better get the hell out of the way? Or is it more like a comfort blanket, where grasping the edge of it brings them back to the days when all they had to do was suckle mum's tit and everything would be okay?

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

Giblet Plus! posted:

This could be the wrong thread, but what is up with people driving with one hand and holding their smartphones raised in the other? They aren't really doing anything with the smartphone, but it still occupies a hand for some reason.

Could it be that they are holding it at the ready, in case their stepsister likes something on facebook? Or is it a status symbol, to show other drivers that their smart phone is newer and more expensive than theirs? Or is it a way of intimidating other drivers, by letting them know that they already don't give a gently caress, and that they'd better get the hell out of the way? Or is it more like a comfort blanket, where grasping the edge of it brings them back to the days when all they had to do was suckle mum's tit and everything would be okay?

Maybe they are talking on speakerphone? :iiam:

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

FuzzKill posted:

Maybe they are talking on speakerphone? :iiam:

I always assumed it was this, for people too lazy to use handsfree but trying to avoid a cellphone citation? Before I realized cops don't give a poo poo about the cell phone law I would use the speakerphone and lower it if a cop was nearby. This was before the advent of good bluetooth headsets/car integration though.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Studies have shown that having a phone conversation in a car is dangerously distracting, regardless of the technology/hands involved, so you shouldn't be doing it anyway.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004
It pisses me off, because of the countless near misses I have observed.

I have found 1 way to gently caress with them. When you are behind them slowly moving forward, position your car so you can see their eyes in their mirror. Then, every time you see their eyes dip to look at their phone, honk your horn. They instinctively look up for the horn sound, so if you do it long enough, they will eventually get tired of being distracted from their phone and look up at the road.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Astroman posted:

Perhaps with highly trained crew of Young People (and a talking chimpanzee)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63_lcQUdxxE

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

EightBit posted:

Studies have shown that having a phone conversation in a car is dangerously distracting, regardless of the technology/hands involved, so you shouldn't be doing it anyway.
How is it any more dangerous or distracting than having a conversation with someone in the car? Dialing and texting I can see, but how is talking to a disembodied voice over your car speakers any more distracting than a passenger?

Not questioning you. Questioning the result of the study.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

GutBomb posted:

How is it any more dangerous or distracting than having a conversation with someone in the car? Dialing and texting I can see, but how is talking to a disembodied voice over your car speakers any more distracting than a passenger?

Not questioning you. Questioning the result of the study.

Apparently your brain has a lot of trouble with a conversation when you can't see the second person. Your mind basically has to imagine the other person, which takes a lot more brainpower than you think.

Also, passengers normally shut up when things get messy (and may be the one yelling at you to stop).

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I usually politely ask my passengers to shut the gently caress up and let me drive (like you could really hold a conversation with the doors off).

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Giblet Plus! posted:

It pisses me off, because of the countless near misses I have observed.

I have found 1 way to gently caress with them. When you are behind them slowly moving forward, position your car so you can see their eyes in their mirror. Then, every time you see their eyes dip to look at their phone, honk your horn. They instinctively look up for the horn sound, so if you do it long enough, they will eventually get tired of being distracted from their phone and look up at the road.

So you're tailgating with all your attention on their mirrors?

:goodjob:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

The car I remember most from growing up was the Japanese import 1987 Accord Si my parents had for years. Had the same DOHC B20a as Preludes of the time, Grey, yellow fog lamps, 14" BBS alloys and a subtle spoiler which together looked great.

Unfortunately the waterpump eventually seized (being a 90s Japanese import the odometer was wound back) which led to a broken cambelt and a bunch of bent valves. My parents did have it fixed but it was never quite the same again unfortunately.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
It took me a second, but seriously. :stare:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
With an exhaust tip like that I imagine the exhaust just kind of steams out at a lackluster pace. :geno:

Maybe it occasionally makes a blap sound and a bunch of soot falls out and sort of scatters on the tire.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 23, 2012

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

Will it fit out the door?

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome posted:

I was just about to say the same thing. Maybe they'll have to deflate the tires.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Personally I hope it won't.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome posted:

Flashbacks to Idiocracy's Rehabilitation scene (which is somehow not on youtube).

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I hope a stiff breeze knocks that fucker over.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

More like TinyWienersLLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking that :haw:

At least it doesn't have duallies on the front. But still, it's definitely a show truck / compensationmobile and utterly useless.

e: I really wonder what's going on with the insulation on that wall, too. Holy poo poo.