Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

King Hotpants posted:

Skip the Epson TW5900; while I'm not up on Epson's European model numbers that looks an awfully lot like the 3010, which is just kind of okay. If you decide you do want 3D, the best choice there is the Optoma HD33.

I believe the TW3200 is the 8350 here, which is a loving fantastic projector that also doesn't cost very much. If I were you, that's what I'd go with.

Thanks, I had no idea Epson used different model numbers for some reason. But you seem to be correct that TW3200 = 8350 and TW5900 = 3010.

Do you have any idea how they (and the Optomas) are in terms of input lag and response time, in case games end up being a frequent application? If they're more or less equal, I'll go with the TW3200 as you suggest, it's just a little down on brightness compared to the HD23 but I assume this wouldn't be a big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
King Hotpants im looking to upgrade my 8100

Right now i have a white elite screens, im going to use wilsonart fashion grey screen for the new setup.

What i want out of a new projector is:
1) better black levels
2) less motion blur

The 8100 is bright as gently caress, so i dont see lumens being a problem (i run it on eco lamp mode)

14 feet away on a 103" screen or so.

I absolutely hate DLP rainbow effects, i cant stand them and neither can my friends, but i dont want lcd induced motion blur either.

Only options seem to be JVC? High end mitsubishi?

I need lens shift of course. 3d isnt important, if it has it, great, if it doesnt, dont mind.
I want to spend around $3000

gently caress the mitsu hc9000d is $2940 at projectors people drat that is nuts.

coolskillrex remix fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Aug 13, 2012

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

mobby_6kl posted:

Thanks, I had no idea Epson used different model numbers for some reason. But you seem to be correct that TW3200 = 8350 and TW5900 = 3010.

Do you have any idea how they (and the Optomas) are in terms of input lag and response time, in case games end up being a frequent application? If they're more or less equal, I'll go with the TW3200 as you suggest, it's just a little down on brightness compared to the HD23 but I assume this wouldn't be a big deal.

I don't have numbers on the Optoma stuff but the Epson 8350 is fast as gently caress with input lag. It's been tested at like 15ms, which is as good as it gets (the Epson 3010 is up around 105ms, for comparison).

coolskillrex remix posted:

King Hotpants im looking to upgrade my 8100

Right now i have a white elite screens, im going to use wilsonart fashion grey screen for the new setup.

What i want out of a new projector is:
1) better black levels
2) less motion blur

The 8100 is bright as gently caress, so i dont see lumens being a problem (i run it on eco lamp mode)

14 feet away on a 103" screen or so.

I absolutely hate DLP rainbow effects, i cant stand them and neither can my friends, but i dont want lcd induced motion blur either.

Only options seem to be JVC? High end mitsubishi?

I need lens shift of course. 3d isnt important, if it has it, great, if it doesnt, dont mind.
I want to spend around $3000

gently caress the mitsu hc9000d is $2940 at projectors people drat that is nuts.

If you did not need lens shift I would push the Optoma HD33 on you. You hate rainbow effects but it has a 6x speed wheel so you won't see any drat rainbows.

Other than that, the Epson 5010 has way, way better blacks than the 8100 did. It's also less than $3000. It also uses newer panels than the 8100 so the motion blur should be down. Processing for 3D means that input lag is like 90ms, which sucks if you want to play games and care about that sort of thing.

If you do care about games look at the Panasonic AE7000, which is more or less on a level with the Epson 5010 but has less input lag. Black level isn't as good, but the difference is hair-splittingly small.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

King Hotpants posted:

I don't have numbers on the Optoma stuff but the Epson 8350 is fast as gently caress with input lag. It's been tested at like 15ms, which is as good as it gets (the Epson 3010 is up around 105ms, for comparison).

If you did not need lens shift I would push the Optoma HD33 on you. You hate rainbow effects but it has a 6x speed wheel so you won't see any drat rainbows.

Other than that, the Epson 5010 has way, way better blacks than the 8100 did. It's also less than $3000. It also uses newer panels than the 8100 so the motion blur should be down. Processing for 3D means that input lag is like 90ms, which sucks if you want to play games and care about that sort of thing.

If you do care about games look at the Panasonic AE7000, which is more or less on a level with the Epson 5010 but has less input lag. Black level isn't as good, but the difference is hair-splittingly small.

I will want to play my 360 on it, but its mostly for movies

Id have to see a 6x speed, i had a 4x speed hd65. I saw RBE several times every minute depending on the amount of highlights in a scene. Even if it got cut down to once a minute i still wouldnt want a DLP unfortunately, that sort of stuff drives me up the wall.

Are you saying the epson 5010 has input lag on 2d as well? My epson 8100 is perfectly fine for call of duty.

No opinion on HC9000D or any JVC models? JVC looks like a bad time to buy because new models are coming out soon. id love to get a jvc with nice black levels for like $1.5k even if it only had 2d.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

coolskillrex remix posted:

Are you saying the epson 5010 has input lag on 2d as well? My epson 8100 is perfectly fine for call of duty.

Yeah it does. Something about the processing engine means there's no fast way to get a signal through the thing. Even in 2D you're looking at 90ms input lag. If you are serious about your vidyagames that might bother you, but I don't know.

quote:

No opinion on HC9000D or any JVC models? JVC looks like a bad time to buy because new models are coming out soon. id love to get a jvc with nice black levels for like $1.5k even if it only had 2d.

The HC9000D is a nice projector but it's also a whole generation older than everyone else's current stuff. I also haven't been able to see it next to the Epson 5010 or Panasonic AE7000 or anything else that came out this year, so I have no fuckin idea how they compare. I do know that the 3D doesn't compare favorably to Epson or Panasonic's models, if that interests you at all.

As for the JVC stuff, their old models were incredible and really blew everyone else out of the water at the time. Lately they've been good but a little overpriced. Again, I haven't actually seen their new stuff so my opinion isn't worth any more than yours.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Amazon

Optoma HD20 1080p DLP Home Theater Projector (Grey) for $659.07
Optoma HD66 720p DLP Home Theater Projector (White) for $441.27

Nevermind price went up as I was posting this.

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004

Spazzle posted:

Does anyone have any experience or opinions on 300-500 lumen LED projectors?

Yes- don't buy one right now, because the 1080p LED projectors are coming out this autumn.
(I own a qumi and an hx300g)

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

cultureulterior posted:

Yes- don't buy one right now, because the 1080p LED projectors are coming out this autumn.
(I own a qumi and an hx300g)

If you want one, buy one now, because the 1080p LED projectors that might (again, I'll believe it when I see it) arrive this autumn are going to be kind of lovely, like almost every other first-generation product. The little ones are cheap and ought to tide you over until actual good 1080p LED products start showing up in a few years.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
So I'm looking at switching to a projector. I've done a fair amount of research, but my main concern is that I'm probably not going to mount this thing in my current apartment, so it either needs to have a short-ish throw and some sort of keystone adjustment.

My priorities are as follows:

-1080p w/ HDMI (ideally with 24p, 60/120Hz modes)
-works well w/ PC (primary video source is HTPC, having HDMI should cover this)
-Keystone adjustment
-Zoom or short-throw capabilities
-Decent lumens (some ambient light in my apartment)
-Low noise (not super-important, just can't be a jet engine)

I'm not worried about 3D or built in sound. I am not against getting something 3D or 3D Ready, but it is not a priority.

Now based on this criteria, mixed with a <$1400 budget, I am looking to maximize picture quality.

Here are my top two choices so far:

Panasonic PT-AR100U
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-PT-...ANASONIC+AR100U

or

Mitsubishi HC4000
http://www.amazon.com/Mitsubishi-HC...isibushi+HC4000

Are these my best choices? Are there any other contenders at my price point? What if I added a couple hundred to my budget? Any help is appreciated!

e: And I cant wrap my head around which is better, DLP or 3xLCD.

e2: primary uses: HTPC, Digital TV, Gaming

Bea Nanner fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 22, 2012

Patch
Jan 13, 2008

Bea Nanner posted:

Are these my best choices? Are there any other contenders at my price point? What if I added a couple hundred to my budget? Any help is appreciated!

I don't know about the ones you listed, but check out the Epson 8350 also. It's got quite a bit of zoom and lens shift, which doesn't affect the image quality like keystone adjustment does. I didn't want to mount mine either, so I have it sitting on a table next to my seating position (which is centered on the screen). There's a limit to the shift and in my case it was just enough. I think the Epson site has calculators so you can see if it will work for your placement.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
Hmm. The Optoma HD33 is looking pretty tempting as well. Can't.. Decide...

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
Maybe IYG will have an answer!

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
New thread location - wooooo!

Best deal for a low-end home theater projector? 720p is fine, don't give a poo poo about 3D, would be used for movies / tv / casual gaming. Are the older optomas still the best bang for your buck? HD66? (around $540 on amazon at the moment)

Unsure of most of the details, but would probably ceiling mount though the ceiling in the basement is pretty low (around 7')

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Bea Nanner posted:

-1080p w/ HDMI (ideally with 24p, 60/120Hz modes)
-works well w/ PC (primary video source is HTPC, having HDMI should cover this)
-Keystone adjustment
-Zoom or short-throw capabilities
-Decent lumens (some ambient light in my apartment)
-Low noise (not super-important, just can't be a jet engine)

I'm not worried about 3D or built in sound. I am not against getting something 3D or 3D Ready, but it is not a priority.

1. You don't want keystone, you want lens shift.
2. You want the Panasonic AR100.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

King Hotpants posted:

1. You don't want keystone, you want lens shift.
2. You want the Panasonic AR100.

Thanks. I was looking forward to your folky wisdom. That was my preference, too. Seems like I missed some rebate to get it for $999, though

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Hey KH, my Epson EH-TW3200 arrived last Friday! While I don't have anything to compare it to beside regular business projectors, my early impressions are:
  • Holy poo poo it's huge!
  • Lens shift is extremely useful for positioning the image just right
  • It's quiet in regular mode and almost silent in ECO, while the brightness difference is minimal
  • It's also bright enough to be usable during the day, though with the blacks being light gray it's not much fun
  • There's no input lag as far as I can tell with the naked eye
  • If there's a bright area in the image, such as a window in an dark-ish room, it washes out the whole image. Is this something that can be minimized by using a proper screen (as opposed to a white wall), or painting everything else black?

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.
I'm looking for an ultra short throw projector and I have no idea who has the best device right now. Can I get a recommendation, please?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

What's the best projector to get for around $400? I'll be mostly using this to play PS3 games and watch the occasional movie.

I'd prefer 720p if possible.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Sep 29, 2012

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So Im ready to go pick up an Optoma HD33. I'm a little confused about lens shift, keystone correction and whether I need either. I'm using a 106" screen, and I will be mounting the projector at the ceiling at the far end of it's throw distance (a little over 13')

Will I be forced to use keystone correction ? Will the hd33's lack of lens shift cause some sort of problem for me ?

I havent chosen a projector mount yet, because I don't know what sort of issues I will run into aiming the thing.

Qaz Kwaz
Jul 24, 2003
What's your email? I've got some shitty posts that you NEED to read.
I think with the HD33 you need to mount either 7" above or 7" below the screen, otherwise you need lovely keystone correction. Plan accordingly.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Qaz Kwaz posted:

I think with the HD33 you need to mount either 7" above or 7" below the screen, otherwise you need lovely keystone correction. Plan accordingly.

Ohhh so If I can get it at that height I don't need any correction at all ? I figured anything other than direct center would need correction.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
To figure out the offset for the HD33, you need the height of your image (on a 106" image that's 52") and then take 7% of that. That's about 4". You still need to be horizontally centered and the projector needs to be perfectly level.

Here's what I would do, if I were you - Mount the projector first, then mount the screen. That way you can see where the screen needs to go and decide if that's what you want. If not, you can always add an extension tube to your ceiling mount or switch to a table placement.

Qaz Kwaz
Jul 24, 2003
Best Buy near me has the JVC X3 for $1600 refurb with a brand new bulb. My original plan was to get the HD33 for $1350 shipped. Should I bite?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

KillHour posted:

What's the best projector to get for around $400? I'll be mostly using this to play PS3 games and watch the occasional movie.

I'd prefer 720p if possible.

http://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-PJD...words=projector

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
Is 12-14 feet enough to throw a 92" image from an Epson 8350? If not, what would be acceptable?

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

1997 posted:

Is 12-14 feet enough to throw a 92" image from an Epson 8350? If not, what would be acceptable?

Yes. Also:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson-PowerLite_Home_Cinema_8350-projection-calculator-pro.htm

Learn to love it.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Hot drat! Thanks for the quick, positive answer I was looking for and the link.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
Do you guys want me to start an actual projector thread with an informative OP and all that? We've been using this one for years.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I have my Optima HD33 installed. Picture is every bit as good as my calibrated LED TV. Stills seem to have slightly blurry text but anything in motion is crisp.

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002

King Hotpants posted:

Do you guys want me to start an actual projector thread with an informative OP and all that? We've been using this one for years.

Very, very much.

I'm really thinking about buying an i1 Pro and running the "Color Calibration for Dummies" and I'm eager to hear if I'm totally going down the wrong direction.

dox
Mar 4, 2006

King Hotpants posted:

I'd really like this. I'm in the midst of planning a home theater setup and would love some knowledgeable advice.

Qaz Kwaz
Jul 24, 2003

King Hotpants posted:

Please do. I'm almost in the midst of a projector decision and would find this very helpful.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Qaz Kwaz posted:

Please do. I'm almost in the midst of a projector decision and would find this very helpful.

I found this link helpful. Its not scientific, but will point you in the right direction.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1391476/coderguys-top-projector-picks

cpwhite
Oct 17, 2012
KH and knowledgeable insiders.

My search for a short through decent output but lowish price search has inevitably led me to the BENQ W710ST. Does anyone have experience with this or similar units? The reviews I have read to date are all positive.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

cpwhite posted:

KH and knowledgeable insiders.

My search for a short through decent output but lowish price search has inevitably led me to the BENQ W710ST. Does anyone have experience with this or similar units? The reviews I have read to date are all positive.

What do you want to use it for? BenQ's presentation projectors tend to be really bad for movies because:
1. All the brightness comes from BrilliantColor, and
2. You need to turn BrilliantColor off to get the color to look acceptable.

So you end up with about 1/3 of the advertised lumens for movies and the color still isn't great.

Then again, if you don't care about movies, knock yourself out. I'm not really up on short-throw machines.

cpwhite
Oct 17, 2012
Thanks KH. That's disappointing news but better to hear it now than before I shell out $700. is there a particular brand that you are fond of for movies/tv/xbox? I am leaning to some sort of short through as the wall I envision projecting this against is maybe 12 feet from the back wall hence with a sofa etc to sit on I don’t think i would have more than say 4-5 ft to play with.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

cpwhite posted:

Thanks KH. That's disappointing news but better to hear it now than before I shell out $700. is there a particular brand that you are fond of for movies/tv/xbox? I am leaning to some sort of short through as the wall I envision projecting this against is maybe 12 feet from the back wall hence with a sofa etc to sit on I don’t think i would have more than say 4-5 ft to play with.

Thats going to limit your choices of some really good projectors. Is there a way you can get around that ? The Epson 3850(3845 in Canada) and the Optoma HD20 can be had in your budget, are great for games due to low lag and get great reviews for image quality.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

jonathan posted:

Thats going to limit your choices of some really good projectors. Is there a way you can get around that ? The Epson 3850(3845 in Canada) and the Optoma HD20 can be had in your budget, are great for games due to low lag and get great reviews for image quality.

8350 and 8345

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!

King Hotpants posted:

Absolutely yes, I came here looking for a projector thread. I will be getting my first one sometime soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
PT-AE7000 is $2050 at projector people...

AE8000 is $2900 everywhere. Got an 8100, should i take the leap??

• Locked thread