Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Try to ollie over something very small, it can help focus your actions. A twig / string / piece of paper or similar - something that'll move a little to indicate you didn't clear it but won't cause you to fall. Once you get the hang of that, you can move up to bigger twigs, crushed soda cans and finally... another skateboard! Ollieing up kerbs is good practice when you reach a certain stage too.

If that's not working, you can even just find / scratch a line on the ground and try to jump it. Don't even worry about getting all 4 wheels up at first, just get used to quickly tapping your tail on the floor as you approach and go from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Also: stop thinking that its easier while you're not moving. Once you get used to it, moving ollies are a hell of a lot easier to pop and catch. It can be scary at first and you might feel like you're gonna fall or send yourself flying, but you'll not be going fast enough that you can't just walk it out. Fear not, ollies are easy!
At least, thats how I feel, and the only things I ollie are at least 37" and heavy (I admittedly do not ollie often, as I'm usually not even on a board with a kicktail)

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Thought you were intermittently ollieing over 37" high objects for a moment there. Was impressed.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Batu posted:

I was hoping for some advice with ollies. When I was little I could do an ollie standing still and I've picked that up quickly, but when I try it moving I just fall apart. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Does anyone have advice for moving ollies?

Lots of times people learning ollies seem to have trouble orienting their upper body properly when moving which causes problems. You want to make sure that your shoulders stay parallel to the board and that they and line up over your feet. People will turn their upper body to face forward while moving and that gets you all out alignment and causes the board to shoot out to the side when you pop the ollie.

If you can be more specific about what happens when you try you will probably get more specific advise. The beauty of skateboarding is that it's all physics so there are reasons for what's happening, it's just a matter of finding the issue and then making your body do the right thing.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Tenterhooks posted:

Try to ollie over something very small, it can help focus your actions. A twig / string / piece of paper or similar - something that'll move a little to indicate you didn't clear it but won't cause you to fall. Once you get the hang of that, you can move up to bigger twigs, crushed soda cans and finally... another skateboard! Ollieing up kerbs is good practice when you reach a certain stage too.

If that's not working, you can even just find / scratch a line on the ground and try to jump it. Don't even worry about getting all 4 wheels up at first, just get used to quickly tapping your tail on the floor as you approach and go from there.

This is really good advice. I learned by trying to clear a broom on the ground. The handle was enough of an obstacle to give me something to clear, but, if/when I hit it, it wouldn't send me flying.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
When you kick the tail, jump into the air. Shortly thereafter, the board will travel upwards with you and then you'll land it.

Subsequent to this, you will be knee-deep in pussy.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

In terms of landing, lean forwards as soon as you realize you haven't landed it and roll onto your upper shoulder. Commando rolls are a great thing to learn. Also, when you notice you landed and didn't eat dirt, feel really dope about yourself.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate

XIII posted:

This is really good advice. I learned by trying to clear a broom on the ground. The handle was enough of an obstacle to give me something to clear, but, if/when I hit it, it wouldn't send me flying.

Same here, except I think I used a hose. The first day I got up a curb was loving magic.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

donJonSwan posted:

Same here, except I think I used a hose. The first day I got up a curb was loving magic.

I was lucky enough to have a really small curb (maybe 3" tall) outside my house that I could practice jumping up after I could clear a broom handle.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
This is going to be interesting... :getin:
http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20121018/new-york-city/court-puts-brakes-on-massive-broadway-bomb-skateboard-race

Horizontal Tree fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Oct 19, 2012

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Baker Skateboards premiered their new video, Bake and Destroy, last Saturday and ended up having swat called in because of the crowd.

Pics from the night:
http://bakerskateboards.com/2012/10/bake-and-destroy-premier-hollywood/

Money Walrus
Sep 2, 2007

I think I'm still gonna show up anyway.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Nevermind some random community paper, the NYTimes gave the bomb a huge public invite out to everyone today!

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/19/nyregion/judge-halts-annual-race-of-skateboarders.html?_r=0

You have no excuse to not go at this point! What are they going to do, bring out swat and kettle the city on a saturday afternoon?

McFoxigator
Jun 13, 2011

Life is full of twicky decisions...
I think I might head down too. On the facebook they said they're officially unofficially going to do the event as a flashmob where everyone just shows up within five or ten minutes of each other and starts the run. They can't catch everybody. :smug:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
So this is tangentially related to skating (at best), but here is something:

I bought my first house in June. It's in West Seattle. Yesterday I was talking to my neighbor (for the first time ever) and she told me that the previous owner was a stunningly gorgeous entrepreneur named Jill Hansen.

I googled her name and found out that she previously owned The Skate Barn in Renton.

I searched Google Images for "Jill Hansen skate barn" and the first result looked familiar.

"Huh... that looks like my back porch?"

Then I clicked through to the site that was hosting the photo and found this skate tour blog entry which had more photos of a bunch of skaters hanging out in my house.

Summary: There are photos of my house hosted on the Internet on a domain called "fecalface.com".

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

This thread inspired me to skate again, after 10 years. I was really into it from around 11 until I was 15 years old, and then I just sort of stopped doing it. I still have the same skateboard I had then, which is somewhat beat-up, but still very usable. It's a 7.5" or so Think deck, with Titan ti-lite trucks. My bearings are bones reds, that are pretty gunked up now (none of my wheels spin for more than 3 seconds), and my wheels are some worn out spitfires that are around 40mm (must have been around 50mm originally...the streets here are rough, and i did abuse my wheels a lot back then, and would always get giant flat spots from powersliding). I remember that Think deck being my favorite ever in terms of width/weight/pop, and it's pretty cool I get to use the same skateboard I was using back in the height of my skating days. It's surprising how familiar it feels.

Anyways, I skated for the first time again yesterday, and only rode around a little and popped maybe 20 ollies. I was a lot better than I expected to be, but I ran out of energy pretty fast, and gently caress my legs are sore today. I didn't realize how out of shape I am now. I'm gonna go out again today and practice more ollies and riding around and powersliding and poo poo. I just wanna ride and do some simple tricks. Back before I stopped skating i was pretty content just bombing hills, doing ollies, pop shove-its, heelflips, varial flips, and some simple grinds and slides...i was always deathly afraid of handrails though, on account of my balls. There's since been a new skatepark built in my city, and it's apparently a pretty nice one (concrete bowls and ledges and such), so I'll go check that out soon. So thank you thread for reminding me of how much I love skating, and here's to hoping I don't eat poo poo too bad today (I know it'll be a pebble that does it. It's always a pebble).

Also, way back then, I lived only two blocks away from Mark Gonzales, and would often see him bombing hills near my house :smug:

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Finally got over my fear of dropping in. What a feeling! Now I just have to work on my fear of stomping flip tricks and grinding ledges and I'll have perfect balance with my hobby!

Riding bowl loving owns, it's like pumping down a never ending hill you never have to walk back up.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

^ congrats! I recently relearned how to drop in, after being too nervous to try it for about a month. I just braced for impact (my dropping in motto has been "eat poo poo once, have it down") and went for it. Surprisingly, I made it, first try.

Sadly, I haven't skated since messing up my elbow. It still hurts to move certain ways or apply pressure to. Probably going to have to bite the bullet and have it looked at. I haven't wanted to risk making it worse, but I'm itching to skate again

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
^^^ I've always wanted to try skating bowls, but I know for a fact I'd be terrified of learning to drop in, and I don't feel like its something I could get into without someone to help me get started. Maybe one day I'll have rad bowl-skating friends to teach me.

I popped an ollie on my Comet Ethos 37 and was complimented on how high and clean it was. I never ollie and am lovely at them but apparantly this one looked hella pro. Get lucky while popping ollies in front of folks erryday (in front of a skate shop, no less)

Did anyone get into NYC for the Bomb? It turned out to be a great day for me, even though my brother and I made it in late. We cruised down Broadway, went to the Longboard Loft so I could get a helmet and check out the new Rayne Avenger that I want, skated by the freedom tower, then hopped a subway up to central park and skated around that for a while before meeting some friends of my brothers and Queens and hitting a bar. Overall a great day skating with my brother.. what better way to spend time together besides a day skating and my first time out at a bar?

The new Avenger is so freakin' light, and the construction is amazing. The deck thins out from the center to the rails, and it keeps it super light, stiff, and adds wheel clearance. Really sweet board, and a nice change from the old (09) Avenger that I used to have and is still probably the favourite of every deck I've owned.
Look at this concave:

I'm just debating how I'd wanna set it up... I think 50* Calibers might be more fun than 44*, and of course clear Vicious grip and my now-tiny OG red Venom Sidewinders? I need to decide if I'm going to order one this weekend, or wait until after I build my new computer. Its a tough choice, but I think I want to get it before it gets ball-freezing cold.
Blue 50* Calibers on it?

Horizontal Tree fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Oct 23, 2012

Money Walrus
Sep 2, 2007
Yea, I went out and skated the Bomb on Saturday, had a blast. Managed to get with a pretty big group massed up around Columbia and go wild on the whole route. Was a serious crazy run. Spent the rest of the day skating around, smoking weed and napping in various parks in the city. Can't go wrong.

As far as bowl skating goes, there's a killer two-in-one bowl in Sunset Park that I've been going to really whenever I have a day off, it's only a few stops down on the R from Park Slope and is really only populated on weekends by BMX kids running the street course. No one messes with the bowl. I get to jam on it all day - just got myself a new pair of Ace trucks to replace old ones I shredded. I'm happy.

Really considering getting a repro Hosoi Hammerhead for skating bowls. My Santa Monica Airlines deck is great, but I want something wide.

That Rayne looks killer, that's a really nice shape. Looks like that thing's gonna treat you well. What are you gonna be using it for? I've never ridden Caliber trucks, but my favorite cast trucks have got to be Paris, Bennett, and Tracker. However, I've been getting into precision trucks lately - Ronin and Radikal are amazing, and for slalom / LDP Virage and and Airflow are incredible too. I like Surf Rodz' new lineup, but I don't own a pair, just ridden them a bunch. They are like Bennetts, but without the dive at the end of the turn.

Also I'm loving riptide bushings right now, I haven't found anything else comparable.

Just though about it and I'm into way too many disciplines of skating. Pushing, pumping, slalom, bowl riding, vert, street / tech, downhill....

Only thing I'm not into is sliding. For some reason I want nothing to do with sliding.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Calibers are a pretty great feeling cast truck, imo. They're not at all sloppy, and are pretty versatile. Rakeless hangers are something some people love, and some hate.
I really want to give Ronins a shot, and I'm definitely picking up the cast version when they come out in a month or two:

I've owned Surf Rodz Indeesz/TKPs, and an Airflow for slalom before, and both are freakin' great trucks. Just sold the SZs to my friend on an Agent Orange with Otang In Heats, and thats funding the Avenger purchase. I'll also still get to ride them and borrow them if I ask, so its a sweet deal to me.
I wanna try out some RipTide bushings and get some new pivot cups for my Calibers, they make everything feel a ton better from what I've heard, so I'll give it a shot. I haven't bought bushings in like 2 years and over the summer I won 8 sets of Blood Orange (Caliber) bushings on Facebook and still haven't even opened a single package of them.

I'm gonna be using the Avenger for all around downhill, sliding, carving, general fun-having. Coming off of such a long break from skating means that my Ethos (24" wb) is not the most stable thing for me, but its also not as carvy and rebound-y as I'd like, thus the Avenger with 50* trucks. Diving right back into skating after a huge time off-board and I'm loving it, regardless of my feet hurting like hell

I actually also need to pick up some Tracker RTX/S for slalom sometime too. I have a deck and wheels, I just don't have slalom trucks anymore. Man, having a job is making me just as poor as when I was unemployed. Its just that now I have more :krad: poo poo

Horizontal Tree fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Oct 23, 2012

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Horizontal Tree posted:

^^^ I've always wanted to try skating bowls, but I know for a fact I'd be terrified of learning to drop in, and I don't feel like its something I could get into without someone to help me get started. Maybe one day I'll have rad bowl-skating friends to teach me.

Like I said, I feel like you just kinda have to eat poo poo once. That first time, it's more about overcoming the fear and proving to yourself that, worst case scenario, you won't shatter into a million pieces. You'll either lean too far forward, and crash, or too far backward, and crash. From there, you'll know how to adjust. I was surprised as gently caress that I made it first try, after having not tried it in 5+ years. Maybe it was old muscle memory. Maybe it was my buddy standing with his board over the coping for 10 min, trying to will himself to do it, before I said, "gently caress it," and walked over and did it instead (he did it immediately after). Just go for it.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Well I've never even skated a park, so maybe someday.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

The trick to getting started with bowls is showing up when no one is there and shamefully sliding to the bottom, board-in-hand. Get comfortable pumping around the transitions and try to stay out of the flat areas as much as possible.

To get decent at dropping in, your best bet is to find a shallow quarter to learn on then just step up the height as you get more confident. Most cement parks are designed to have a few different quarter pipes scattered around just for this sort of thing.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Bucket Joneses posted:

The trick to getting started with bowls is showing up when no one is there and shamefully sliding to the bottom, board-in-hand. Get comfortable pumping around the transitions and try to stay out of the flat areas as much as possible.

That simple advice made it all click for me when I was first learning to ride a bowl. I didn't understand how those dudes kept speed at first until..."stay out of the flat!"

The best advice I got about frontside carving was to aim the board higher than you think you are wanting to go.

Looser trucks help in general. Especially for fake/switch :0

Batu
Nov 10, 2009
Thanks for the advice on ollies; I can now jump up curbs. Only ankle deep in pussy, though.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Bucket Joneses posted:

stay out of the flat areas as much as possible.

I took this advice and levelled up, tonight. Thanks!

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

Batu posted:

Thanks for the advice on ollies; I can now jump up curbs. Only ankle deep in pussy, though.

The ollie chat actually got me to put my little soft wheels back on my giant double kick and now I'm gonna learn to push switch and ollie it. Its awkward to ride DH/slalom/sliding regular, but street decks or anything where I'm using the tail mongoofy. I'm a wonky rider. Learning to push switch will be good all-around and it will mean I don't have to push mongo when I'm actually trying to ollie and crap

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube
For the Scottish goons Stirling got its park finished at the end of the summer.

It's actually a bit nicer than the plans, there's a cradle on one end of the bowl plus an extension. Took me a while to get used to pumping the bowl but it was easy to transfer miniramp tricks straight over once that was down.

It's my local park so I've been skating nothing but bowl for a few months (and have learned to love kneepads) We've got a good crew of regulars too, so apart from the park being underwater for the next few months the skating has been rad.

Highest Cactus
Jul 25, 2007

News: Mysterious illegal cookies seized. "Tastes terrible," says police.

I used to skate back in middle school, but I was never any good. The best i could do was an inconsistent ollie and a pop shovit. I loved doing it though, so over the weekend I bought a new deck to replace my old warped one. Used my old trucks and wheels/bearings because they still spin really well. I got a little creative with my grip this time.

Skating up and down the driveway today was super fun too. I got to the point where I was doing my ollies a bit more often than I used to be able to, and I was jumping over a broomstick without hitting it about half the time. I even pulled off a sweet boneless just screwing around.

Then on my very last "run," the board shot out from under me and I fell like a sack of potatoes. I landed pretty hard on my left elbow. The arm went numb, and I couldn't even hold just the broom i was jumping over for a few minutes. Now I'm laying in bed icing it again a few hours later, and it wont bend more than about 45 degrees from a neutral position :smith:

Wear protective gear, people. I'm super lucky that I didn't full out break it or whang my head on the ground.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdjPUFBZggA

This is whats wrong with the youth of today. Too much time becoming great at skateboarding, not enough time playing call of duty.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Speaking of video games and skating, if you can't skate because there's a monsoon going on outside, you need to pick up True Skate for iOS.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

No that game's controls are miserable don't do it. Paying 15$ to skate in someone else's garage is a better use of your time.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Zigmidge posted:

No that game's controls are miserable don't do it. Paying 15$ to skate in someone else's garage is a better use of your time.

:confused: After playing it for 30 minutes I was able to very easily do flip tricks into and out of grinds on the handrails.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Bucket Joneses posted:

Speaking of video games and skating, if you can't skate because there's a monsoon going on outside, you need to pick up True Skate for iOS.
Whoa, I want a new Skate game that plays like that, that looks fun as hell.

Winston Chill
Aug 24, 2008

Fine and dandy.
So I just saw Pretty Sweet and it is the most rad stuff since Fully Flared, especially Alvarez and Johnson had wicked parts. I don't even hate the soundtrack as much as most people seem to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDg9mUGwOLg

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
I have a huge boner for oversized double kicks even though I am poo poo at riding them. If you read my posts here you may know that I can ollie badly but beyond that am not great at riding boards with kicks (even though all my boards right now have them) and I kinda wanna change this.
I'm looking at getting another double kick to replace my old Earthwing Crewzer since the OG points from this deck make me want to hang it up before its really shredded up, and I want to downsize slightly. Want something for cruising around, sliding, general shredage.
Looking at the Rayne Renegade and Phantom which are 34.5" and 37" long respectively, at 9.5" wide. Both are big, symmetrical (a bonus to me) with big steep kicks and the awesome Rayne construction/feel. The style is definitely slide/freeride inspired but I like that and will be using the deck for that purpose too. Yes, I'm a Rayne fanboy, but I've had nothing but positive experiences with them and its a company I LOVE to support, even if people complain about their pricing.
Either deck with some Indy 149s or 169s and small medium-duro wheels like 60mm Abec 11 No Skoolz in 84a or 88a, maybe. There are so many options.

So really, what should I do to learn to actually use tails and poo poo a bit more?
How do I adapt to the fact that I ride hills regular but use kicktails mongoofy?
I know a few obvious answers like "ride more, push switch" etc but if anyone has other tips I'd appreciate it.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I hate to repeat myself so often in a slow thread but that Shredit Cards series on youtube loving blows my mind every single week. The latest one ends with the guy doing a no comply down a giant stair set and the rest of his tricks were only nominally less impressive.

Are there any other youtube channels or series like this? Like weekly/monthly contests for amateur video?

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Yeah, seriously. YouTube and skateboarding seem like they should go hand in hand, but there really isn't enough competition YouTube accounts out there. I'd love to set one up but my skill and attention span really aren't where they need to be to make one successful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
That show/series really makes me want to do one, especially seeing as people will send in poo poo that crazy for the chance at less than 200 dollars (in gift certificates no less). I even have a lovely degree in video production but...putting videogame score graphics on people's vids while adding up their cash is such a good gimmick I'm having trouble thinking of anything better or even comparable.

Looking over the old vids there they get 20k views in a week, some of them are pushing 50k and the very first vid has over 100k. I have no idea how money making on youtube works but would something like that break like...100 dollars per vid? It seems like when I visit these I usually have to watch a full 30 second and only occasionally get a "skip after 5 seconds"