Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

emocrat posted:

I have a theater setup that is very similar in size to yours. I don't have my measurements handy but its within a few inches of yours both in height and width.

I opted for a 92 diagonal 16x9 screen and very happy with it. While that is small by projector standards, its all about how it fits in the room and if the room is small also and it fills the space it will look great. I probably would have gone for something more like 110-120 diagonal if I could, however soffits on the sides presented a limiting factor.

While getting the extra width of the 135 would be great, I think in your setup you will run into problems with sight lines to the bottom of the screen. If your room is 85 high, and the screen is 78 even if you have it flush to the ceiling (which would look terrible I think) the bottom is 7 inches off the ground and even the front row will be a bit strange.

A 120 diagonal would be a decent compromise I think, with a height of around 60 inches. You could bias it high but still have a 18 inches or so off the ground as well as fit speakers around it without having to build a false wall or use acoustically transparent material. At 10 feet 120 is a pretty drat big screen.

Thanks. Out of the blue I checked what Costco has. The 106" fixed screen is $299. That's cheap enough that the DIY route isn't worth it for me as my time not working is more valuable. I would like to mount the center channel behind it, but then I would have to mount the fixed screen away from the wall. That seems like a pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
A good friend of mine has a 106 fixed frame, with couch seating about 12-14 feet from the screen and frankly, its still huge.

One thing I did when I was building mine that I would strongly recommend is to get some blue painters tape and mask out the screen on the wall. Then measure out the seating distance and put a chair there. It will give you a really solid idea of what your end result will be. Do it for a couple of sizes and pay attention to where the boundaries of the screen fall into your vision. As awesome as imax is, you don't really want that effect for every movie or tv show you watch. Or at least I don't. Being able to take in the entire picture without turning my head is generally a good thing.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

mobby_6kl posted:

That's an Epson EH TW3200 with a $100 5.1 set of computer speakers hooked up to either an old ThinkPad or my desktop which I drag over when I want to play something. The picture is about 120" which is plenty at this viewing distance. However the second photo reveals a serious issue with that setup: bright parts of the scene light up the nearby wall, which in turn reflects everywhere and fucks up the contrast. There's a door frame immediately to the right so the only option is reducing the size or painting everything black :black101:

Now, as you can see, the projector is standing on its own box with two others under that one, which is hardly the ideal long-term solution. Any ideas how that might be set up? It's rather unlikely that I'd be allowed to set up a ceiling mounting so I'm thinking of getting some kind of AV cart perhaps, where I could also put the (currently nonexistent) receiver and laptop/HTPC and move it around as necessary.

A real screen would help. It won't reflect light all willy-nilly like that. At the minimum, some screen-paint:

https://www.paintonscreen.com

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

emocrat posted:

A good friend of mine has a 106 fixed frame, with couch seating about 12-14 feet from the screen and frankly, its still huge.

One thing I did when I was building mine that I would strongly recommend is to get some blue painters tape and mask out the screen on the wall. Then measure out the seating distance and put a chair there. It will give you a really solid idea of what your end result will be. Do it for a couple of sizes and pay attention to where the boundaries of the screen fall into your vision. As awesome as imax is, you don't really want that effect for every movie or tv show you watch. Or at least I don't. Being able to take in the entire picture without turning my head is generally a good thing.

That's a good suggestion, the tape thing. As for the screen size, I want the big imax experience for sure. I'll only be watching blockbuster type movies on it. My living room has a good 55" led TV and comfy sectional couches for dramas and whatever movies and TV watching.

A question: I'm having trouble deciding between the Epson 8350, LCD non 3d projector, or the Optoma hd33, which is 3d and DLP.

In a dark room can the lcd give off good blacks ? Also, I had a demo of some TV with passive 3d glasses. It looked like poo poo, with interlacing and jaggies. Do projectors with passive glasses have the same effect ? Is there a passive 3d projector that has a sharp 1080p image at a reasonable price ?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

jonathan posted:

So I need to make a decision: the "stage" measures 135" x 85". Obviously I can't run the screen right to the bottom.

If I DIY the projector screen, I can go 7'1" wide by 48" high which gives me a 94" diagonal 16:9 screen. I have to leave room on the sides for the speakers.

The other option would be to build a stage, and buy an acoustically transparent screen, and go the full 135" wide, or perhaps slightly less so that I can have a frame. This would require putting the front 3 speakers behind the screen. Viewing distance will be roughly 10 feet away for the front row. I will be putting the rear row on a riser, but its hard to calculate how high the riser needs to be to give the rear row a proper view.

The store bought solution could give me a screen size of around 135"x78" at the large end. Is this too big of a screen ?

I don't know if you've bought all your crap yet, but I got my screen from this dude. They're based out of Surrey, too, so they even voided the shipping fee and it arrived on my doorstep the next day in Vancouver.

ante fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Oct 7, 2012

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ante posted:

I don't know if you've bought all your crap yet, but I got my screen from this dude. They're based out of Surrey, too, so they even voided the shipping fee and it arrived on my doorstep the next day in Vancouver.

Thanks for the link. I ordered all my stuff through mono price except for the screen which was Costco. The projector I'm waiting on until next pay cheque because I bought leather theatre couches that recline.

Still haven't decided on subwoofers yet. Either doing dual rythmik fv12's or a single tapped horn subwoofer as the rear seat riser.

The Big L
May 8, 2008
I present to you my mismatched color DIY A/V Setup!

TV: Panasonic VIERA TC-P50U50 50-Inch Plasma
Floor Speakers: Klipch KG4
Center Speaker: Klipsch KG2.2V
Receiver: Marantz NR1403 Slim Line
Gaming/Media: PS3 and Xbox 360

The TV stand is comprised of two IKEA Lack's modded together. And the speaker stands are cinder blocks glued together with liquid nails and spray painted black. I live in an apartment, so I opted against getting a sub-woofer for now since I am not an inconsiderate jerk-off.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Big L posted:

I present to you my mismatched color DIY A/V Setup!

TV: Panasonic VIERA TC-P50U50 50-Inch Plasma
Floor Speakers: Klipch KG4
Center Speaker: Klipsch KG2.2V
Receiver: Marantz NR1403 Slim Line
Gaming/Media: PS3 and Xbox 360

The TV stand is comprised of two IKEA Lack's modded together. And the speaker stands are cinder blocks glued together with liquid nails and spray painted black. I live in an apartment, so I opted against getting a sub-woofer for now since I am not an inconsiderate jerk-off.

Those speakers throw out more sub bass than your average retail store bought subwoofer anyways. Have you run any calibration on it yet ? What are your impressions ?

The Big L
May 8, 2008

jonathan posted:

Those speakers throw out more sub bass than your average retail store bought subwoofer anyways. Have you run any calibration on it yet ? What are your impressions ?

That they most certainly do! Once I raised them up and put them closer to the corners, I've been able to get some amazingly clear and thumpy bass out of these things. And getting them to ear level has definitely made the highs stand out more as well. And thank God for finally getting a center speaker! Now I can actually hear movie dialog without having to constantly change the volume to avoid ear-splitting explosions and loud background sound. Having 5.1 surround would be nice, but my current place is just too small to accommodate any rear speakers.

My overall impression is that these are awesome all-around speakers with VERY distinct highs. I definitely see why some people wouldn't really like that, or would prefer a "warmer" or "softer" sound from their speakers. But after years of slowly upgrading to better and nicer headphones and IEM's, I've come to appreciate the details in the high frequency and am no longer stuck equating "good" sound to bowel-shaking bass only. I've so far only done a single Audyssey MultEQ calibration from one location, but intend on going through the entire multi-location test to really get the most out of it.

They're a really versatile set of speakers, and would highly recommend them considering how often they can be found online for a good price.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

crappy pictures, i know.

112" Diagonal 2.35:1 stewart screen
Integra DHC 80.2 surround processor
PS3
Acer HTPC
Runco Q-750d with Anamorphic Lens
Pioneer Elite DVL-91 LD player

5.1 speaker setup
Genelec HT208 Left/Right
Genelec 8030a center, surrounds
Velodyne HGS 12 sub

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I too have just finished (well, mostly finished) my Dedicated theatre. I cant figure out how to generate bbcode from an album on imgur, so I will just post the link.

http://imgur.com/a/WxsVX

Equipment is:

Mustang 106" retractable screen 1.0 gain
Optoma HD33 1080p 3D projector
Onkyo TX NR 818 11.2 receiver
Klipsch Reference RF3/RC3/RS3 speakers
Sony 3d Bluray player
Boxee Box for streaming
Xbox 360 for gaming
Canadian Tire $21 modular rack for equipment

Room is 11' wide by 16' deep with the back opening to the bar/entertaining room.

To do:
Reclining leather couch on the way from sears, backordered
Rear seating row Riser
install door for equipment room (on left)
Logitech ir emitter for devices
Center channel stand
6 pairs of active 3d glasses oh gently caress jesus better tell the ol' lady to take on more shifts at work
Subwoofers: Can't decide on dual Rythmik FV12's or a single Rythmik FV15hp.
Popcorn machine

Ol' Lady says we should black out the drop ceiling tiles. Wife acceptance factor doesn't apply in this house. She also says we should do dual Tuba HT subs stacked in the corner.

The Big L
May 8, 2008

jonathan posted:

Ol' Lady says we should black out the drop ceiling tiles. Wife acceptance factor doesn't apply in this house. She also says we should do dual Tuba HT subs stacked in the corner.

I don't know what's more amazing - Your bad-rear end home theater or the fact that you've found a spouse that not only supports but fully encourages extravagant A/V setups. Either way you're a very fortunate individual to have hit both of those jackpots.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Big L posted:

I don't know what's more amazing - Your bad-rear end home theater or the fact that you've found a spouse that not only supports but fully encourages extravagant A/V setups. Either way you're a very fortunate individual to have hit both of those jackpots.

It helps to have a large finished basement. If I was piling all of this poo poo into a living room she wouldn't be very happy. A dedicated room really allows you to place function over form though. Also, getting her involved in the design and fabrication of things helps. If she wasn't cutting fabric and stapling and picking out furniture I am sure she wouldn't be able to care less.

Another cool thing, I showed her some demo's on youtube of before and after acoustic room treatments and what it does to echos. She got angry at the pricing for panels and declared that she's going to build panels herself. We will probably be doing 4" thick 24" wide square panels. The thin stuff makes a difference but anything less than 4" thick and you're just removing hi frequency without touching low frequency.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

jonathan posted:

I too have just finished (well, mostly finished) my Dedicated theatre. I cant figure out how to generate bbcode from an album on imgur, so I will just post the link.

http://imgur.com/a/WxsVX

Freaking awesome. You should black out as much as you can.

Surprised to hear the encouragement to this hobby!

My significant other gets annoyed with my obsession with speaker placement and Audyssey runs. :D

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

jonathan posted:

She also says we should do dual Tuba HT subs stacked in the corner.

As someone who owns a Table Tuba, gently caress yes you should. I hope your neighbours are deaf or at least have decent home insurance because THTs are beastly. What width you going for?

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Nearly finished with my theater. Basically just need to finish up the baseboard.

Panasonic 65" Plasma TC-P65GT50
Integra DTM 40.4 receiver
Paradigm Millenia 200 fronts
Paradigm Millenia 20 center
Paradigm in wall surrounds (forget what model)
Paradigm PS1200 sub
Custom XBMC pc
Directv HD DVR
PS3
Xbox 360
Fusion Escape theater seats (http://www.rtheaters.com/FusionCollection/FC-Escape-1019.html)

Behind the wall is a closet to easily access everything. Smartest thing I did.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

wandler20 posted:

Nearly finished with my theater. Basically just need to finish up the baseboard.

Fuuuuuck that's a sweet looking room.

jonathan posted:

Ol' Lady says we should black out the drop ceiling tiles.

I think that would look nice. Maybe paint the projector cover a satin black or something as well? You probably don't notice it while watching stuff but since you mentioned blacking out the ceiling that's all I can see, haha. Looks good, though!

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

dreesemonkey posted:

Fuuuuuck that's a sweet looking room.

I think that would look nice. Maybe paint the projector cover a satin black or something as well? You probably don't notice it while watching stuff but since you mentioned blacking out the ceiling that's all I can see, haha. Looks good, though!

The one above mine looks great. Those corner trims and the lighting. Mine is kind of all business. I don't have the craftsmanship to make moldings and trim pieces like that.

rizzo1001
Jan 3, 2001
Finally posting my first ever setup! (Got this around August) Thx to jonathan & co in the home audio thread.

-55" ST50
-Polk Monitor 70 Series II's with matching CS20 center
-Onkyo 509
-RCN Tivo
-Xbox360
-Asus N66U

Here's a few more shots:

plasma bling
http://i.imgur.com/U87TO.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/DOzuG.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/2qnpl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/uPb7K.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/nCDP3.jpg

The stand was the hardest component to pick out as I wanted to mount it but not on the wall. Walmart was the answer! :patriot:

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Finally done and happy with my setup, wasn't nearly as expensive as I thought it would be.

Onkyo TX-NR414
Aperion Intimus 4T and 4C front/center.
Polk PSW10
Some other Polks that were part of my HTIB are mounted up as surrounds, don't recall the model.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

the nicker posted:

Finally done and happy with my setup, wasn't nearly as expensive as I thought it would be.

Onkyo TX-NR414
Polk PSW10
Some other Polks that were part of my HTIB are mounted up as surrounds, don't recall the model.

Nice living room!

I guess you don't need to watch TV during the day anyway, right? =)

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I guess you don't need to watch TV during the day anyway, right? =)

Hah yeah, when I first moved in, TV during the day was impossible. I was so angry at the builder's decision to make the the TV wall the one covered in windows (it's all pre-wired for this setup).

They're heavily tinted now though, and it's not an issue at all. It's not nearly as bright as you'd think.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

wandler20 posted:

Panasonic 65" Plasma TC-P65GT50
Integra DTM 40.4 receiver
Paradigm Millenia 200 fronts
Paradigm Millenia 20 center
Paradigm in wall surrounds (forget what model)
Paradigm PS1200 sub
Custom XBMC pc
Directv HD DVR
PS3
Xbox 360
Fusion Escape theater seats (http://www.rtheaters.com/FusionCollection/FC-Escape-1019.html)

Behind the wall is a closet to easily access everything. Smartest thing I did.

Dang. I really wish I had an extra room to dedicate some awesome work like this. Really pro. Mine looks like a kids project.

Cross-posting from the projector thread as I didn't know there was an AV setup thread:
The curtains can cover the width of the screen and walls.
I still need to make curtains to cover the tracks as visible tracks look like poo poo.

Curtains drawn. Under the screen is a giant speaker grill that I framed out of 2x2 wood.

Projector and equipment in the back. Mitsu HC9000 Projector. Onkyo TR750 or whatever.

Home made shelf for the projector

I'm also in the middle of a masking system. I don't have a 2.35 screen so I'm masking my 16:9 for 2.35 content. Lenses are expensive for 2.35 screens so I stuck with the 16x9.

It is all hemmed up, I still need to sew it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMQXfRSZmXo

I ordered a new couch, something more appropriate for this setup.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 26, 2013

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I'm also in the middle of a masking system. I don't have a 2.35 screen so I'm masking my 16:9 for 2.35 content. Lenses are expensive for 2.35 screens so I stuck with the 16x9.

Does the projector let you store different presets for 16x9 vs 2.35? 100% of the masking systems I have ever seen have a top and bottom mask that move in and out.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

the nicker posted:

Onkyo TX-NR414
Polk PSW10

nice, this looks great! I need a nice media console like that. I just picked up a set of Intimus 5T's off craigslist in Cherry for $300. I don't have room for my 5B's to go behind my couch so I've gotta figure out how to put them to use for now but maybe down the road I'll have the space. I'm looking for a 5C to match it since my 4C can't really cut it with the new 5T's in place.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Legdiian posted:

Does the projector let you store different presets for 16x9 vs 2.35? 100% of the masking systems I have ever seen have a top and bottom mask that move in and out.

No presets as far as I'm aware, but I should actually look to see, I just shift the image down with the remote.

BusinessWallet
Sep 13, 2005
Today has been the most perfect day I have ever seen

the nicker posted:

Onkyo TX-NR414
Polk PSW10

What is that coffee table?

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

BusinessWallet posted:

What is that coffee table?

That's from a local designer. It's actually made from 100+ year old utility 'poles', one end is still has the holes where the insulators were attached.

http://petrifieddesign.tumblr.com/

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Snapped some photos of the nearly completed theater room.

Forgot to turn on the bar lights for this photo

Still need to install a door to the left of the front stage.

Building two LLT Sonosubs with 18" drivers as well. Just waiting on delivery of the drivers. Winisd estimates 104db at 10hz open space for each enclosure at 1meter with 600watts. In my room, should be flat to 10hz with EQ both subs combined, at reference level.

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010
Good looking picture and sounds like you'll have a nice sound system. The one thing that did catch my eye was the light color cabinet to the right of the screen. Seems like it might be a little distracting.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
I'm very confused at the suspended ceiling and the 2nd floor above it, unless the 2nd floor doesn't go into that area?

Also 18" drivers at 10hz? I really wish I could get away with that with the warden. When she's home I usually have to turn off my 10" Dynasty when I start turning up the volume.

edit: you talking something like this? :stare:

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 20, 2013

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

AzCoug posted:

Good looking picture and sounds like you'll have a nice sound system. The one thing that did catch my eye was the light color cabinet to the right of the screen. Seems like it might be a little distracting.

In that cabinet is the breaker box for the house. I'm eventually going to tear that whole thing out and use something cleaner looking. Moving the breaker box isn't really an option though. The walls in that room are too bright and shiny as well. Probably going to paint it a dark red. The ceiling needs to be dark as well, but I don't have time to paint the room at the moment.

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I'm very confused at the suspended ceiling and the 2nd floor above it, unless the 2nd floor doesn't go into that area?

Also 18" drivers at 10hz? I really wish I could get away with that with the warden. When she's home I usually have to turn off my 10" Dynasty when I start turning up the volume.

edit: you talking something like this? :stare:

Confused how ? It's a T-bar ceiling. The kitchen is above it. This is a bungalow style house. Ground level main floor and then a basement. If people stomp about upstairs, it shakes the projector slightly. Noise is carried upstairs as well, but really only directly above.

The enclosure you posted is exactly what I am building, except skinnier, and shorter, and two of them. Also they will be sanded and finished, probably semi-gloss black.

walumachoncha
Jul 22, 2004
fraeulin doesn't like linux/GNOME :(
I hope you wear depends when listening to hip hop. That is an insane amount of air being moved.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

walumachoncha posted:

I hope you wear depends when listening to hip hop. That is an insane amount of air being moved.

Originally I was going to go with 2 tapped horns, but I'm not confident in my interpretation of the measurements for the enclosures. They're complex as far as an enclosure goes. 8 sheets of plywood gets expensive versus an $80 12' section of Sonotube.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1451519/lilmikes-lilwrecker

HipHop doesn't really have much low frequency content. Most of the bass is in the 50hz to 200hz region. Some dubstep and the like dips down a bit further. Movies have content very low though. Down to 5hz for some movies. Max loudness isn't my goal. Accurate and clean sound reproduction is. Large drivers controlled by lots of watts with a high damping factor is what gives you that clean accurate sound.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Mar 22, 2013

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Ah, Ok. I've never seen suspension ceiling in a house, but we don't have basements where I live either.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Ah, Ok. I've never seen suspension ceiling in a house, but we don't have basements where I live either.

For whatever reason, it's really really common with home theaters. It certainly made wiring easy for me.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Aeka 2.0 posted:

It's quite common in Canada, as the ceiling of a basement is where you're going to have most of your plumbing, electrical, central-vac, HVAC, and Ductwork running. Makes things much easier to access without having to get out the drywall saw or leaving your finished basement without a ceiling.

Synathaesia
Jul 4, 2009

it's been a hard day's night
and I'd been workin' like a dog

Stereo System:

B&K Reference 50
Rotel RLC-900
Pioneer DV-47Ai
NEC AUT-8000E
DIY L20D Class D Monoblocks
Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature Monitors

Desktop Headphone System:

Stello U2 USB->I2S Converter
Stello DA100 Signature DAC
Darkvoice 336SE Amp
Sennheiser HD650

The headphone system has changed a bit since those pictures. I now own the DT880 and HD600 instead of the HD650, and I've sold the 336SE, only to buy another 336SE to modify myself.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Synathaesia posted:

Stereo System:

B&K Reference 50
Rotel RLC-900
Pioneer DV-47Ai
NEC AUT-8000E
DIY L20D Class D Monoblocks
Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature Monitors

Desktop Headphone System:

Stello U2 USB->I2S Converter
Stello DA100 Signature DAC
Darkvoice 336SE Amp
Sennheiser HD650

The headphone system has changed a bit since those pictures. I now own the DT880 and HD600 instead of the HD650, and I've sold the 336SE, only to buy another 336SE to modify myself.

I have a set of 650s, do you recommend the 336SE to start out with? I've been looking for a good beginning tube amp for them but there are seemingly thousands of options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Does anyone have any experience with Standout Designs?

http://www.standoutdesigns.com/

I've been looking for a quality home entertainment center for awhile, and stumbled across these dudes today. They are incredibly expensive, but have a bunch of stuff I like. Optional fans for the back, glass shelves, etc.