Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Throatwarbler posted:

Good news for those who want a Wrangler but hate reliability and not-being-on-fire,

JLR is bringing back the Defender as an entry level vehicle below the Evoque!

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.d...autonews-weekly

Bringing back? It's still on sale in the real world!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Throatwarbler posted:

Good news for those who want a Wrangler but hate reliability and not-being-on-fire,

JLR is bringing back the Defender as an entry level vehicle below the Evoque!

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.d...autonews-weekly

That's pretty cool. Let's hope it comes in not-too-expensive, but that's a tall order for Land Rover in NA.

We won't be getting the diesel or the stickshift, will we?

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

A production model 4C has been spotted. Hopefully the car makes it here next year and not the year after. When you consider the depressed state of Europe's car market, maybe Sergio is going to announce a greater emphasis on NA product, which could include an accelerated schedule for Alfa Romeo's reintroduction.
http://www.autoedizione.com/major-scoop-alfa-romeo-4c-production-version-finally-spotted/

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

The new Opel Cascada is going to make for a pretty nice looking Buick. I actually really like the way this looks.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

It's still a little bath tubby IMO, but that's just kind of how most 4-seat convertibles tend to look. It's still a huge step in the right direction.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Tekne posted:

A production model 4C has been spotted. Hopefully the car makes it here next year and not the year after. When you consider the depressed state of Europe's car market, maybe Sergio is going to announce a greater emphasis on NA product, which could include an accelerated schedule for Alfa Romeo's reintroduction.
http://www.autoedizione.com/major-scoop-alfa-romeo-4c-production-version-finally-spotted/
Hot drat I hope that car doesn't suck. Because a used one is going to be my present to myself when I finish grad school.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

SouthLAnd posted:

The new Opel Cascada is going to make for a pretty nice looking Buick. I actually really like the way this looks.

I don't know, I'm not that big a fan of the Eclipse Spyder.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Just finished a survey for my new car purchase and found this article...hmmmm not sure what this is saying as I almost never see Civic Hybrids, C30's and Leaf's and thought most Mustang Cab's were rentals.....I guess this really just shows "desirability" as opposed to sales.

-----------------------------------
http://www.strategicvision.com/press_release.php?pr=42

The following are from the study's most recent results, showing the Top 5 most popular models by political party choice:

Democrats
1. Honda Civic Hybrid*
2. Volvo C30
3. Nissan Leaf*
4. Acura TSX Wagon*
5. Ford Fiesta Sedan

Republicans
1. Ford Mustang Convertible*
2. Audi A8*
3. Mercedes GL
4. Ford Expedition
5. Ford F-150*

the Honda Civic Hybrid, Acura TSX Wagon, Nissan Leaf, Audi A8, Ford F-150 and Ford Mustang Convertible were also all ranked number one (*Total Value Index™ segment leader) in their respective segments

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 18, 2012

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Keyser S0ze posted:

Just finished a survey for my new car purchase and found this article...hmmmm not sure what this is saying as I almost never see Civic Hybrids, C30's and Leaf's and thought most Mustang Cab's were rentals.....I guess this really just shows "desirability" as opposed to sales.

The following are from the study's most recent results, showing the Top 5 most popular models by political party choice:

Democrats
1. Honda Civic Hybrid*
2. Volvo C30
3. Nissan Leaf*
4. Acura TSX Wagon*
5. Ford Fiesta Sedan

Republicans
2. Audi A8*
3. Mercedes GL
4. Ford Expedition
5. Ford F-150*

the Honda Civic Hybrid, Acura TSX Wagon, Nissan Leaf, Audi A8, Ford F-150 and Ford Mustang Convertible were also all ranked number one (*Total Value Index™ segment leader) in their respective segments

Hahahah, wow:
"Large SUV, Republicans, 76% vs. 5%"

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I am somewhat unsurprised Republicans have the lead in luxury SUVs (53:22), Sebring convertibles (69:18) and full-size pickup trucks (51:24).

Minivan is a bit of a surprise (40:24).

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Minivan is a bit of a surprise (40:24).
Opposition to birth control and abortions tends to have a logical conlusion.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Sebring convertibles (69:18)

The Republican favourite Mustang cab also starts at $26k, same price as the 200 Cab actually. That's probably what it is.

The Miatas and VW Eoses are all in the 18%. :gay:

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

InitialDave posted:

Opposition to birth control and abortions tends to have a logical conlusion.

Yes, this is truly representative of all republicans, much as bad teeth all of Euro..nevermind.

I'm sick of GBS leaking into my AI. How about them new cars?

BMW is sending more of their cars to the US, Asia, because of the lovely European economy..

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Viggen posted:

Yes, this is truly representative of all republicans, much as bad teeth all of Euro..nevermind.

Someone who relies on Saabs to get to work should probably have more of a sense of humour.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

InitialDave posted:

Someone who relies on Saabs to get to work should probably have more of a sense of humour.

Self Employed Sole Proprietor. They're all for play. :smug:

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

grover posted:

Hahahah, wow:
"Large SUV, Republicans, 76% vs. 5%"

I was part of the 5% from 2003-2006 when I had a Chevy Tahoe and BMW 330. I actually miss that big thing.

letgomyAgo
Aug 6, 2012

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

The second part isn't legal is it? I thought they made some law a few years back so that dealers couldn't require you to get routine service done at their shops to keep your warranty intact.

Not sure about America, but in Canada we have Right to Repair. More or less says independant repair shops will have access to software to diagnose and repair cars. In practice, dealers still don't release their specialty tools or diagnostics for purchase.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Keyser S0ze posted:

Democrats
1. Honda Civic Hybrid*
2. Volvo C30
3. Nissan Leaf*
4. Acura TSX Wagon*
5. Ford Fiesta Sedan

Republicans
2. Audi A8*
3. Mercedes GL
4. Ford Expedition
5. Ford F-150*

What this tells me, with maybe the f150 as the exception, is that the vast majority of Americans are neither Democrats nor Republicans.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
So this thread is sort of the hub for Focus ST news, a Ford head honcho was on Autoline After Hours talking about it. One thing he mentioned is that the rear sway bar mounting is very far outboard). Is this just a matter of giving the sway bar maximum leverage for precise control or what?

War Bunny
Jul 7, 2009

I don't silflay at this time, sir.

Viggen posted:

:glomp:

Thank you.

Any news on the 2014 WRX since the mule was photographed hot weather testing? I''m about to order a 13 and I really want to know if I should wait or not.

War Bunny fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Oct 20, 2012

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Throatwarbler posted:

So this thread is sort of the hub for Focus ST news, a Ford head honcho was on Autoline After Hours talking about it. One thing he mentioned is that the rear sway bar mounting is very far outboard). Is this just a matter of giving the sway bar maximum leverage for precise control or what?

Weird, but seems to be the best location that doesn't present issues with ground clearance (if you put it under/in the front edge of the lower arm) or strength (that tiny stamped link or somewhere on the 'control blade').

This C170 SVT rear suspension shot shows my first alternate proposed location, and it does eat into ground clearance a little bit:
http://i.imgur.com/4GjWH.jpg

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

letgomyAgo posted:

Not sure about America, but in Canada we have Right to Repair. More or less says independant repair shops will have access to software to diagnose and repair cars. In practice, dealers still don't release their specialty tools or diagnostics for purchase.

Not the case in the UK - and do they ever redefine stealership here. $500 for an oil change? why not, because warranty!

Nathan Explosion
Aug 14, 2006
A whole new rainbow of pain!

Cream_Filling posted:

Other than that, the only other car Suzuki even sells here is the Kizashi, which is supposedly pretty decent, but nobody has ever bought one to find out.

I can confirm that the Kizashi is pretty good. It's built pretty well, reasonably quick and the interior is drat nice. I didn't get a chance to let it stretch its legs out because the lady who owned it was in the car when I drove it but overall it stuck to the road well.

The only thing I have to compare it to is a new Chevy Cruze which is about the same size and a tick more expensive. The Kizashi definitely has more balls than the Cruze. And awd vs. fwd, different strokes and all that. I had more fun in the Cruze, partly because it had a mantran but mostly because I got to poke it a little. Turbos are fun.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
So has anyone here actually driven the Chevy Spark? My dad was getting a recall done on his Z06 and test drove a Spark to pass the time and thought it was the best thing ever. Initial sales are impressive for what it's worth, 6300 in the first three months. I've read some reviews but nothing really seems to get to the point.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

NOTinuyasha posted:

So has anyone here actually driven the Chevy Spark? My dad was getting a recall done on his Z06 and test drove a Spark to pass the time and thought it was the best thing ever. Initial sales are impressive for what it's worth, 6300 in the first three months. I've read some reviews but nothing really seems to get to the point.

The Spark looks absolutely incredible for a commuter in-city car. I think that having one of those and one larger car for road trips / highway commutes could be perfect for a couple.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
When I was buying my Sonic, I saw four pretty tall sales guys all easily pile into a Spark and go on a drive. The amount of passenger space they eeked out in that car is amazing. Of course, it's at the cost of almost all the cargo room. At least my Sonic has a decent amount of room behind the rear seats. The Spark has barely enough room for some groceries.

However, after sitting in one myself I've got to say that if you want a really, really small car for around the suburb/city driving, it's the one to get. It's fulfills everything a Smart car is attempting to do and doesn't feel like a death trap. It's also got more room than a Scion iQ and a Fiat 500.

Just don't expect it to perform as well on long highway trips.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

NOTinuyasha posted:

I'm kind of in a toss up between the Spark and whatever they call the Panda when it shows up in Canada in a few months. The only downside for the Spark is that it can't break the 40mpg mark.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Thwomp posted:

When I was buying my Sonic, I saw four pretty tall sales guys all easily pile into a Spark and go on a drive. The amount of passenger space they eeked out in that car is amazing. Of course, it's at the cost of almost all the cargo room. At least my Sonic has a decent amount of room behind the rear seats. The Spark has barely enough room for some groceries.

However, after sitting in one myself I've got to say that if you want a really, really small car for around the suburb/city driving, it's the one to get. It's fulfills everything a Smart car is attempting to do and doesn't feel like a death trap. It's also got more room than a Scion iQ and a Fiat 500.

Just don't expect it to perform as well on long highway trips.

How flat do the rear seats fold? I'd keep it in 2 seat mode until I needed more seats, I need cargo space more than extra seats but something that size would be fine.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Cakefool posted:

How flat do the rear seats fold? I'd keep it in 2 seat mode until I needed more seats, I need cargo space more than extra seats but something that size would be fine.

It looks like they fold "flat" as in the space behind the seat is a cover/lid that you can slip down for more depth behind the seats or even with the seats folded to get a flat space.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
The new teaser preview for the 2014 Corvette is up: http://youtu.be/lZ0JGkjtZXQ

Not a lot to say about it right now other than it looks like it'll have some massive vents somewhere (probably on the hood).

Schindler's Fist
Jul 22, 2004
Weasels! Get 'em off me! Aaaa!

This looks like Tesla's 'us vs. the car industry' mindset at work. No dealers, run like a tech startup, looking to disrupt the industry - they probably think that anyone that's not a Tesla employee will damage or sabotage any Tesla they get hold of. If it's anyone with GM, UAW, or car dealer ties, they might be right.

Roadster drivers have looked outside to see an unasked Tesla guy working on their car because it phoned home by itself. $600/yr isn't a problem if they'll continue with such remarkable service.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Devyl posted:

The new teaser preview for the 2014 Corvette is up: http://youtu.be/lZ0JGkjtZXQ

Not a lot to say about it right now other than it looks like it'll have some massive vents somewhere (probably on the hood).

Also it's going to be mid-engined, have a twin-turbo V6 and be AWD. Just like every Corvette for the last 30 years was going to be :allears:

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

KozmoNaut posted:

Also it's going to be mid-engined, have a twin-turbo V6 and be AWD. Just like every Corvette for the last 30 years was going to be :allears:

One could only wish. That's what the Nissan GT-R is for. Hate to burst your non-existant bubble, but its' engine stays up front with an LTx variant V8 pushing power to just the back wheels. Although it does have a side vent that's similar to the current GT-R.

Devyl fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Oct 23, 2012

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Schindler's Fist posted:

This looks like Tesla's 'us vs. the car industry' mindset at work. No dealers, run like a tech startup, looking to disrupt the industry - they probably think that anyone that's not a Tesla employee will damage or sabotage any Tesla they get hold of. If it's anyone with GM, UAW, or car dealer ties, they might be right.

Roadster drivers have looked outside to see an unasked Tesla guy working on their car because it phoned home by itself. $600/yr isn't a problem if they'll continue with such remarkable service.
No, it's still stupidly expensive. For the level of service they're providing, it should have either been offered for free or let you go to an indie. They're charging it because they know they can get away with it because Mercedes, Porsche and BMW all do pretty much the same thing, they just don't threaten voiding your warranty if you go somewhere else.

I think there's something they're not talking about, like it'll explode of the battery cooling system isn't given a special tear-down cleaning, or you have to cut the car in half to get to certain maintenance components, or something along those lines.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
$600/yr servicing for a high-performance car doesn't seem that unreasonable to me.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.

2ndclasscitizen posted:

$600/yr servicing for a high-performance car doesn't seem that unreasonable to me.

Except it's illegal for a car manufacturer to void your warranty just because you let anyone else service the car. Let's keep in mind that this wouldn't be the first time Tesla has stepped onto shaky legal ground.

Personally, Tesla strikes me as kinda of a shady company that plays fast and loose with the legalities of the automotive world. All we need now is for Elon Musk to get caught pushing coke to fund his Tesla dealings.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

One of the guys I work with was looking at a Tesla roadster 2 or 3 years ago. He ended up not getting it becuase the Tesla rep said that all major servicing had to be done in the US. That means that the car had to be shipped from Canada down to a Tesla service centre in the US at the owner's expense.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 23, 2012

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

The King of Swag posted:

Except it's illegal for a car manufacturer to void your warranty just because you let anyone else service the car. Let's keep in mind that this wouldn't be the first time Tesla has stepped onto shaky legal ground.

Personally, Tesla strikes me as kinda of a shady company that plays fast and loose with the legalities of the automotive world. All we need now is for Elon Musk to get caught pushing coke to fund his Tesla dealings.

This would fall into anti-trust legislation, correct? The Magnusson-Moss Warranty act would have some sort of say with it, but I'm not sure exactly what.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson%E2%80%93Moss_Warranty_Act

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Devyl posted:

One could only wish. That's what the Nissan GT-R is for. Hate to burst your non-existant bubble, but its' engine stays up front with an LTx variant V8 pushing power to just the back wheels. Although it does have a side vent that's similar to the current GT-R.

*whoosh*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Schindler's Fist posted:

If I was the kind of paranoid nut who worried about unions trying to break my car, I would freak out about unasked for people sneaking around to secretly work on my car because of a hidden signal sent by built-in telemetry transmitters.