Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Putting siege boats in Carthage's harbor is gonna be IMBA as poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

:lol: at the Wilhelm scream at the end.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Sinnlos posted:

Holy cow, this looks fantastic. Only concern is that on this scale battles will take far longer to complete.

There seems to be a lot of variance on that video, so the length of an battle isn't issue to me. But I really hope they do away with constant small scale battles and somehow implement a mechanic that allows there to be single large decisive battles like in real life. Right now TW is always "kill stack 1, kill stack 2, kill stack 3, kill stack 4 (combined leftovers of 1,2 and 3) siege, siege, siege, siege win". Battles kind of lose their epicness when you do like 200 of them.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Well from earlier interviews it seemed like the smallest recruitable unit is the "legion", which consists of several units. So I would imagine the smallest possible battles would be taking place with at least a couple units on each side.

edit: By the way, a dude has managed to import topographical data from NASA into the Shogun 2 campaign map editor, so now he has detailed terrain for the entire world to work with. He's also discovered that the zones from Empire still exist in the engine, and can be made in Shogun 2. It's still a long ways off from being ready but it looks extremely promising.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=548643&page=6

tl;dr: Basically dude found a way to create extremely detailed campaign maps of any region in the world within Shogun 2.

Class Warcraft fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Oct 19, 2012

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.
Excellent video, though if you feel like a drinking game, take a shot every time he says "dark(er)", "gritty", or "visceral".

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The single biggest thing in that video is evidence that CA really have worked out how to get units to flow as a mass of individuals rather than as a rectangle.

The implications are obvious if you think about any time in any Total War game your immersion has been killed by a pathfinding bug or by a unit getting stuck on a wall or something.

Crab Battle
Jan 16, 2010

Haha! Yeah!

Alchenar posted:

The single biggest thing in that video is evidence that CA really have worked out how to get units to flow as a mass of individuals rather than as a rectangle.

The implications are obvious if you think about any time in any Total War game your immersion has been killed by a pathfinding bug or by a unit getting stuck on a wall or something.

If they actually fix that one issue, that alone would make siege assaults interesting to play.

Can't wait for this loving game.

Okulo
Oct 17, 2012

A little more than kin,
and less than kind.

SpaceViking posted:

Excellent video, though if you feel like a drinking game, take a shot every time he says "dark(er)", "gritty", or "visceral".

Really, the only word he should've used to describe the way the game feels is "brown". Gods, there is so much brown.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Okulo posted:

Really, the only word he should've used to describe the way the game feels is "brown". Gods, there is so much brown.
I hope all the statues are painted garishly just to see how players would react based on their assumptions on Classical history.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

achillesforever6 posted:

I hope all the statues are painted garishly just to see how players would react based on their assumptions on Classical history.
They'd probably sperg out over minute differences in color schemes from slightly different eras.

Speaking of those statues, is there any reason why none of the paint jobs survived and we only recently discovered that they even exist at all?

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.
Organic paints don't age that well, and some of them were polished by the people who found them as they didn't fit their image of the ancient world.

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide
Is it just me or are the soldiers moving a bit fast? I realize it's pre-alpha, but they're scrambling up ropes and debris like monkeys.

trashcangammy
Jul 31, 2012
loving hell, this looks absolutely incredible. The battle seemed heavily scripted so I'm under no illusions your average siege will rock this much face, but this seems so much more ambitious than the already excellent shogun 2 it defies belief.

I hope the scale doesn't become unmanageable from a player point of view, there seem to be five different battles you need to keep an eye on at once and full 16 unit battles are already a bit too hectic for my liking. Just as important I hope they don't just have the office intern spend an afternoon developing the diplomacy code the way they have on every other TW ever.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I don't really understand the focus on how everything looks at ground level when that's something you only ever see during replays or the last 30 seconds of a battle. It looks super cool and all, but it also seems like it would make more sense in a game like Mount and Blade. Maybe they should just do that instead, it could be awesome. If there's a single thing this world needs it's Mount and Blade with a development budget surpassing "whatever's in between the couch cushions, and maybe the $10 that Mike owes me".

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

trashcangammy posted:

loving hell, this looks absolutely incredible. The battle seemed heavily scripted so I'm under no illusions your average siege will rock this much face, but this seems so much more ambitious than the already excellent shogun 2 it defies belief.

I hope the scale doesn't become unmanageable from a player point of view, there seem to be five different battles you need to keep an eye on at once and full 16 unit battles are already a bit too hectic for my liking. Just as important I hope they don't just have the office intern spend an afternoon developing the diplomacy code the way they have on every other TW ever.

I dunno, when they zoomed out to tactical mode there appeared to only be about 12 Roman land units, they're just much bigger than usual.

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Vargs posted:

I don't really understand the focus on how everything looks at ground level when that's something you only ever see during replays or the last 30 seconds of a battle.

Speak for yourself, I always zoomed in to watch the arrows land. :colbert:

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

So.. hopefully, with a 40% bigger budget we see a proper campaign map meta. Ideally, with CK2/Vae Victis-esque features.

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no

Vargs posted:

I don't really understand the focus on how everything looks at ground level when that's something you only ever see during replays or the last 30 seconds of a battle.

I watch as much of the battle as I feel I can zoomed in. In Shogun 2 it's probably gotten to the point that I'm playing substantially worse for it, but actions per minute isn't a big deal in Total War and the spectacle is the biggest reason I play it over other RTS games.

tables
Jul 7, 2011

tables
I really love the work they've put into the models of the buildings.
Hnnnng'd hard at the temples, the port, the buildings in general.

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax

Space Pussy posted:

So.. hopefully, with a 40% bigger budget we see a proper campaign map meta. Ideally, with CK2/Vae Victis-esque features.

This is what I need out of the next Total War game. Every iteration they spend more time making the graphics and animation look pretty as poo poo but the core mechanics have started to suffer a bit, especially the campaign map. I always have to find mods to try and make it deeper because the vanilla campaign map play always feels so shallow after the first run.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm just tired of sieges. Every game is a matter of sieging or defending sieges. There needs to be a way to force more non-siege battles.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
You know that if you continue a siege, the enemy will eventually come out to attack you, right? This way you can force a land battle every time and you will never have to fight a siege again.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Mans posted:

I'm just tired of sieges. Every game is a matter of sieging or defending sieges. There needs to be a way to force more non-siege battles.

I think that the main thing that causes this is the turn based nature of the strategy map. The distance armies can move combined with how close the cities tend to be and the lack of finer strategic movement makes it more difficult to engage in the field. The best way I have found is to park an army in the field and let the ai come to you.

I kind of wish the strategic map was made "real time" with speed sliders so you could actually intercept armies as they move around on the map, but I don't think the Total War series will ever head in that direction.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
Better yet, they should bring back the Shogun/Medieval 1 system.

Carolus
Dec 21, 2009

Sinnlos posted:

Holy cow, this looks fantastic. Only concern is that on this scale battles will take far longer to complete.

I wouldnt mind that.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Carolus posted:

I wouldnt mind that.
Yeah, I personally won't mind fewer but more massive and memorable battles over tiny boring battles mixed in with the good ones like we have now.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Morholt posted:

Better yet, they should bring back the Shogun/Medieval 1 system.

While I have very fond memories of both the original Shogun and Medieval, I think abstracting things too much on the strategy layer is a bad thing. I'm not saying I want grognard levels of detail or anything but choosing where to fight, or being forced to fight on unfavourable ground should be important in a game where the primary focus is big battles. Logistics ties into this somewhat and I think that a simple supply route system for armies would be a good thing too.

I mean, at the moment it's not even really a strategy map. It's an infrastructure map with very limited options for army manouvering.

Friendly Fire fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Oct 21, 2012

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I think going back to the Risk map but having more granular territories would be a good move. Having things like river crossings and mountain passes and other areas of strategic value rather than just economic zones.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

Zettace posted:

Yeah, I personally won't mind fewer but more massive and memorable battles over tiny boring battles mixed in with the good ones like we have now.

Don't get me wrong, I too am excited about the fact that we will be playing on a more realistic and epic scale. In open field battles, I don't think the new scale will increase battle time significantly, but if you need to siege all of Carthage, and one of the control points is on the opposite side of the city from where you entered, that may take some time. My issue is that sometimes I can only play in snippets, and I really hate making save files in the middle of a battle. Sieges on large cities may force me to do that now.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
*turns to 20 men out of a vast armada* FORWAAAAAAARD *continues to sail serenely onward for ten minutes*

Only after the commander gives the overall strategy of kill everyone show no mercy of course. Thank you sir! I'll put it on the next last minute briefing agenda!

Not a sperg honest, war game drama just gets really goofy sometimes. I can't wait to get my hands on this, I may need to fire up Medieval 2 for vast elephant hordes in anticipation.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Did anyone elses copy of Shogun 2 begin re-installing itself? Steam is trying to download 18 gigs of it for no reason.

E: Now it changed its mind and only wants to download 164 megs. :psyduck:

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Steam uses the download bar as a progress bar. Basically the game figured out some files were missing so they re-downloaded the files you were missing but to do that the program had to check over which file were okay so it skipped over any file you already had.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Went ahead and bought Rome Total War Gold and Alexander on Steam for the sole purpose of Europa Barbarorum-ing it up, in the hopes of tiding me over until Rome 2.

Interface issues and old battle engine (and controls) aside, this is as fun as I remember it, but the map is dauntingly big. Ah well, more room for my Roman legions to expand!

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
Which of the good Rome mods is the simplest? I just installed total realism only to start a game, find out that I begin with like 15 different holdings all with some weird new goverernment system and immediately closed the game. I just want a mod that makes the AI actually somewhat challenging/fixes some of the nonsensical units like "attack dogs that can beat 2x their number in battle hardened roman legionnairies," gently caress.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive

THE PWNER posted:

Which of the good Rome mods is the simplest? I just installed total realism only to start a game, find out that I begin with like 15 different holdings all with some weird new goverernment system and immediately closed the game. I just want a mod that makes the AI actually somewhat challenging/fixes some of the nonsensical units like "attack dogs that can beat 2x their number in battle hardened roman legionnairies," gently caress.

Dunno about that but steer clear of Roma Surrectum for now. The current build (2.5) is kitchen sinkier than usual and they've got some really bad scripting issues. Europa Barbarbarbar seems really popular, you might give it a shot.

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

physeter posted:

Dunno about that but steer clear of Roma Surrectum for now. The current build (2.5) is kitchen sinkier than usual and they've got some really bad scripting issues. Europa Barbarbarbar seems really popular, you might give it a shot.
EB is really good but it's far from simple.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

THE PWNER posted:

You could just get an AI mod and neuter the stupid units yourself. The stats are just in text files. Whenever I do play vanilla Rome anymore I immediately make all of Egypt's units absolute poo poo so they don't end up taking over the entire south and east portions of the map. Hell, if you want I can edit the file for you if you'd like. I can even give you Marian reforms at the beginning if you want.

I'm a lot like you. I like the idea of RTR and EB and whatever other acronyms we want to throw out there, but I just can't get into actually playing them. I don't want to spend five turns converting some random town just so that I can build auxiliaries or some garbage.

reagan fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Oct 23, 2012

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

EB's government system is pretty straightforward, I find. The "best" government, homeland, is only buildable on lands that were historically held by that faction as part of its central provinces, vut takes 10 turns to build. Government 2 is for the historically held territories of the faction, and governments 3 and 4 are for not-historically-held stuff, the difference being 3 is more "administrative" and 4 is a puppet state. They are built as fast as 1 turn. The higher tiers of government give more advanced administrative buildings and faction units, while lower tiers offer a separate barracks that allow regional units but few administrative buildings. For instance, Rome can recruit Roman legions only in homeland Italy, but if they conquered North Africa they could build a levy barracks with a tier 4 government and recruit elephants.

When conquering a new region you need to first dismantle the existing government, barracks, etc., put in place the provisional government (1 turn of building time), then choose tier 1-4 governments.

:goonsay: as gently caress up there.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

THE PWNER posted:

Give it another try and try to get the hang of it, RTR is one of the best mods for any TW game out there. It can just seem difficult at first, but it's very rewarding once you figure it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

HoveringCheesecake posted:

You could just get an AI mod and neuter the stupid units yourself. The stats are just in text files. Whenever I do play vanilla Rome anymore I immediately make all of Egypt's units absolute poo poo so they don't end up taking over the entire south and east portions of the map. Hell, if you want I can edit the file for you if you'd like. I can even give you Marian reforms at the beginning if you want.

I'm a lot like you. I like the idea of RTR and EB and whatever other acronyms we want to throw out there, but I just can't get into actually playing them. I don't want to spend five turns converting some random town just so that I can build auxiliaries or some garbage.
Yeah I have to change the files for EB to give me more money to play most of the factions. I'm terrible at money management :negative: