Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I would've yelped like a bitch had it been me flying that day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
I assumed that the 40 second mark wasn't as drastic a maneuver as it looked because both aircraft would be climbing/diving. Played it again and focussed on the landmarks in the background.

:stare: What kind of G's would those pilots be feeling?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Less than 2.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Godholio did youlike any of the checkertail pictures I emailed you?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Captain Apollo posted:

Godholio did youlike any of the checkertail pictures I emailed you?

Uh yeah, like ALL of them. Nice work man. I haven't gotten to look closely at them all yet. I didn't notice it was in my junk email folder until today. :)

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Question for you guys. A friend of mine, another goon, brought this weird terrain feature to my attention. It's a big arrow on the ground pointing west somewhere in Alcona, MI. Apparently Camp Grayling is 80 miles due west from that... whatever it is. Is this some sort of navigation aid from the WWII era or something?

Big Arrow

Highlighted Big Arrow

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
My first instinct is that it's an Indian mound. They built lots of large structures like that through the midwest.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Well, it's not an arrow. There's another line moving to the west from the "center" point. Either a mound as mentioned or maybe there's irrigation under there and the growth is denser?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Clearer image from the past.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Captain Apollo posted:

Hey - Why do P-51 mustangs whistle?

They don't know the words?

:downsrim:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

CharlesM posted:

Is the bottom part cut across that little road there, or is the road cut over it?

otaku69
May 18, 2003

CharlesM posted:

Weird that looks like everything in that square except that arrow shape was clear cut.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
This is the most Aeronautically Insane thing I've seen today.

(That's a C-5 Galaxy and a Minuteman ICBM)

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

NightGyr posted:

This is the most Aeronautically Insane thing I've seen today.

(That's a C-5 Galaxy and a Minuteman ICBM)

It's in glorious color in youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=It7SQ546xRk

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

That reminded me to check out this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msXtgTVMcuA

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8tqCrMWCQE

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Christ, I'd hate to be the one to have to clean those air filters

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

DC-6s fuckin rule, also I thought them nearly skimming that tree was an optical illusion until the shadow passed over. Holy poo poo.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

Prop planes? For wimps. Let's land 727s on cow turd runways? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sl-bIic774g&t=73s Surely for cowards! Let's load them with fuel tanks before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sl-bIic774g&t=463s

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

Weak sauce. http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2012/10/how-was-this-plane-even-able-to-take-off-in-this-sea-of-mud/

Try that in your Q400.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Just picturing the engineer furiously recalculating CG as they plow towards V2

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Jesus christ :aaaaa:

Bugsmasher
May 3, 2004

Almost as dirty as an Air France jet.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

I did that once in a King Air. We were out at Illinois Creek Mine, which is a bit southwest of Galena if you ever look at a map of Alaska. The runway for the mine was built to handle the C-133 (you read that right) they used to airlift the ENTIRE mine in (one of the reasons they were never profitable). Anyways, it was freaking wide. And at the top of a mountain. That means you could only see about half of the runway, because they other half was on the other side of the mountain.

We were socked in for several days waiting for a plane to make it in and finally had a clearing. Let's just say it went away by the time our plane got in.

We never actually saw the plane until it taxied over to our end of the runway, COVERED in mud. Like, mud-bogging covered. Much thicker mud than that Antonov was going through. We loaded up and off we went.

Once the pilto hit the throttles we immediately went sideways. There was a crosswind and the pilot just left the plane lined up with the crosswind instead of the runways, since it was nothing but mud and the wheels probably wouldn't roll anyway.

It's really weird doing the takeoff roll facing trees.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
If you're looking to kill a few hours, here's a ~5 hour documentary detailing the 777, from concept through delivery.

Ep1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01PjWv7eqAk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZ8kSqOS_H4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOy4RU3GlaA

21st Century Jet - Making the Boeing 777 1-4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjEWESFYp54

FYI It's pronounced "triple seven" by the way, not "seven seven seven" :kratos:

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

You bastard. I have work to do, deadlines to meet!

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Gullous posted:

FYI It's pronounced "triple seven" by the way, not "seven seven seven" :kratos:

That's how Boeing pronounces all of their models; the "seven seven seven", or "seven four seven", etc. Even more goofy is what they call the variants; "seven seven seven dash three hundred ER" - it's like that for all their products.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

MrChips posted:

That's how Boeing pronounces all of their models; the "seven seven seven", or "seven four seven", etc. Even more goofy is what they call the variants; "seven seven seven dash three hundred ER" - it's like that for all their products.

To the public maybe, but working for a company that used to be part of Boeing and knowing a lot of old-timer Boeing people, they call it the triple-seven.

All other Boeing aircraft still being made/were made in their times are the "four-seven," "five-seven," "six-seven," and so on.

The 747-8 is, for some reason, just "dash 8" and nothing else.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

ApathyGifted posted:

To the public maybe, but working for a company that used to be part of Boeing and knowing a lot of old-timer Boeing people, they call it the triple-seven.

All other Boeing aircraft still being made/were made in their times are the "four-seven," "five-seven," "six-seven," and so on.

Yeah, I've never heard anyone at Boeing call the 777 anything but the triple seven.

The 747-8 is the "dash eight" because it has a unique dash number. The same thing happened with the 367-80 - it was, is, and forever will be the "dash eighty," and nobody even remembers the 367 part.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ApathyGifted posted:

Everyone I've ever come across calls it triple-seven. Generally, other products are referred to as seven thirty seven, or seven three. I've never, ever heard someone in the industry call a Boeing product a seven three seven, except perhaps over the radio, for clarity. The triple seven is the exception to this rule.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

777 is either triple seven, or triple, or just "trip" for brevity's sake.
Other boeings are either seven-four or forty-seven, etc.
767 is "piece of poo poo" or "I can't wait till they park these heaps in the desert".

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Oct 27, 2012

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
Hay guys, what's going on in this thread?

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

Linedance posted:

777 is either triple seven, or triple, or just "trip" for brevity's sake.
Other boeings are either seven-four or forty-seven, etc.
767 is "piece of poo poo" or "I can't wait till they park these heaps in the desert".

I thought it was always the first two number of the type, then the model number.

So a 777-300ER would be a 773ER

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Linedance posted:

Why?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Here's a BRILLIANT video animation THING, showing the Apollo 11 landing.

Man, I remember sitting on the NASA website on dialup when I was 16-17, reading transcripts and listening to a little realplayer file, trying to hear as much of the real, actual process instead of just the same tiny snippets that was in every documentary. This isn't the full mission of course, but it's the entire powered descent and landing of Apollo 11 with mission control on the right side and capcom on the left, video in the middle. Incredible!

http://www.firstmenonthemoon.com/

I could watch the entire mission like this, from launch to splashdown. Entire space program actually.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Ola posted:

Here's a BRILLIANT video animation THING, showing the Apollo 11 landing.

Man, I remember sitting on the NASA website on dialup when I was 16-17, reading transcripts and listening to a little realplayer file, trying to hear as much of the real, actual process instead of just the same tiny snippets that was in every documentary. This isn't the full mission of course, but it's the entire powered descent and landing of Apollo 11 with mission control on the right side and capcom on the left, video in the middle. Incredible!

http://www.firstmenonthemoon.com/

I could watch the entire mission like this, from launch to splashdown. Entire space program actually.
That is fantastic, thanks for linking it!

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

I don't like that dude... I don't like THAT DUDE!
Well, I'm alive.... I have an effort post about Air Koryo coming that will blow your minds. The things that airline does are things no one should ever do.

In the interim have some photos of ZKPY

FNJ... terminal and tower by Powercube, on Flickr

The Ramp at FNJ by Powercube, on Flickr

P.S. There is nothing worse than doing a go-around in a Tu-134 that you know has fatigue issues.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

they're old and tired, and more than a few of them have had multiple not-so-careful owners. They were also built by Boeing before they had any sort of cohesive design philosophy* so everything is a hodgepodge and nothing makes any sense. They're workhorses, I'll give them that, but at this point they're broken old nags that need to be put out to pasture. And when they break they loving break good. Nothing will ruin your day quite like an AOG on a 767.

*I put this down more to the very long production run and the changes in technology and design concepts during that run than any shortcomings in Boeing's engineering.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Powercube posted:

Well, I'm alive.... I have an effort post about Air Koryo coming that will blow your minds. The things that airline does are things no one should ever do.

Looking forward to it
:f5:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Linedance posted:

they're old and tired, and more than a few of them have had multiple not-so-careful owners. They were also built by Boeing before they had any sort of cohesive design philosophy* so everything is a hodgepodge and nothing makes any sense. They're workhorses, I'll give them that, but at this point they're broken old nags that need to be put out to pasture. And when they break they loving break good. Nothing will ruin your day quite like an AOG on a 767.

*I put this down more to the very long production run and the changes in technology and design concepts during that run than any shortcomings in Boeing's engineering.

Preaching to the choir here I know, but i'll expand on this a bit. The worst part of a second-hand fleet is that there are enough differences between individual aircraft that it seems like nothing is the same. Each airline specs their aircraft slightly different to one another (or really different to one another, if you're dealing with ex-TWA aircraft), so you'll find yourself in a situation where an LRU in one aircraft doesn't work in another aircraft, or a certain system has a special maintenance procedure that could be unique to that one particular aircraft, which creates nothing but hassle, even if you know about it beforehand.

This is one reason why Boeing has gone to great lengths to make everything on the 787 work on a common architecture, regardless of supplier or options. As an example, swapping engine makes in the 787 is a job that could be done in a night's work, as both makes use a common pylon and a common "language" to communicate with the aircraft. In previous models, it is basically impossible to swap engine makes, as it would have required thousands of man-hours of engineering work, plus all the regulatory headache to go along with changes that dramatic.