Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Xachariah posted:

The second question is answered in the third book I can give a short non-spoilery synopsis if you want. Don't look at the spoilers if you don't want to know.

When the person got to the Well of Ascension, they were given god-like powers, so they attempted to fix the mist problem in a terribly crude way. They tried to burn it off the planet by moving the planet closer to the sun. That caused excessive heat, so they then had to make the ashmounts spew ash to darken the skies. This killed the plants and people, so their physiologies were altered so they could survive the ash.

Thanks I guess this will be more clear when I actually read it.

Also, rebellious? Really? Is that because he owns a potential forbidden book? I haven't gotten maybe far enough to see him actually rebel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ulio posted:

Thanks I guess this will be more clear when I actually read it.
The second question's also sort of answered in the first book, or at least the reason why he's lived for a thousand years.

Stalker
Feb 2, 2003
Just started Elantris because I read some great things about it here. I have to admit I love Brandon Sanderson's writing.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

You've read great things here about Elantris? I thought the consensus was that Elantris was mediocre at best. I feel it has one, sometimes two interesting point of view characters, and one that was so mind-numbingly boring that she almost tanks the entire book.

I feel it's Sanderson's worst book, but I don't regret reading it, and wouldn't mind a re-read, but definitely wouldn't say great things about it. It's just so mediocre until the ending (everyone knows Sanderson writes great endings.)

Whatever you do, though, do NOT listen to the audiobook. That helped to make a boring book into a terrible one, and I only stuck with it because I was on a long trip and out of audiobooks to listen to (ironically, it started getting good by the time I got home and could read the actual book.)

This Post Sucks
Dec 27, 2004

It Gave Me Splinters!

OneTwentySix posted:

You've read great things here about Elantris? I thought the consensus was that Elantris was mediocre at best. I feel it has one, sometimes two interesting point of view characters, and one that was so mind-numbingly boring that she almost tanks the entire book.

I feel it's Sanderson's worst book, but I don't regret reading it, and wouldn't mind a re-read, but definitely wouldn't say great things about it. It's just so mediocre until the ending (everyone knows Sanderson writes great endings.)

Whatever you do, though, do NOT listen to the audiobook. That helped to make a boring book into a terrible one, and I only stuck with it because I was on a long trip and out of audiobooks to listen to (ironically, it started getting good by the time I got home and could read the actual book.)

You know, after this thread, I was kind of wary to read Elantris, but I actually found it very enjoyable. I didn't have any issues with any of the characters being boring and I thought the flow was pretty good.

However, I will totally agree with you on the Audio books. I listened to Warbringer, and that's my least favorite book because of the narrator.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Just read the Emperor's Soul. Definitely enjoyed it and the magic system. The inspiration for the system amused me.

I'm rather enjoying these very short but sweet stories Brandon is putting out. Short enough for a very quick read but long enough for him to fit a good story and even a mini-avalanche.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Argas posted:

Just read the Emperor's Soul. Definitely enjoyed it and the magic system. The inspiration for the system amused me.

"So I was visiting a museum and then HOLY CRAP HISTORYMANCY!"

Between this and coming up with a Supervillain Universe after a case of road rage, I have come to the conclusion that Brandon has the most awesome "mundane" life ever. Every little thing becomes a complete, fleshed-out fantasy universe.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

OneTwentySix posted:

I don't even think I'd say mediocre, just very obviously someone's first published book.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

404GoonNotFound posted:

"So I was visiting a museum and then HOLY CRAP HISTORYMANCY!"

Between this and coming up with a Supervillain Universe after a case of road rage, I have come to the conclusion that Brandon has the most awesome "mundane" life ever. Every little thing becomes a complete, fleshed-out fantasy universe.

It helps that he's got a very strong drive to flesh things out beyond their inspiration due to his career.

Going from stuff like this to historymancy is amazing.

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.
Man, I have so much to read and so precious little time. I was going to start my Wheel of Time reread (and hopefully finish before A Memory of Light comes out) after I completed Codex Alera. Now I need to add Legion and Emperor's Soul to the list.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

So just finished The Final Empire, didn't understand When Vin kills the Lord Ruler, afterwards she says she felt something then, am I suppose to know what this about or is later explained.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Everything is explained later, even/especially how Vin was able to get that power boost at the end there.

Also, after finishing it, I highly recommend a reread using the annotations from Brandon's site. Think of them as a sort of liner notes/director's commentary, but although technically all major spoilers are clearly marked, there's a chance you might spoil yourself anyway.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
My little brother had one of the Magic cards that Sanderson offered trades for on his website, so he's going to be getting two signed hardbacks. I am jealous.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

404GoonNotFound posted:

Everything is explained later, even/especially how Vin was able to get that power boost at the end there.

Also, after finishing it, I highly recommend a reread using the annotations from Brandon's site. Think of them as a sort of liner notes/director's commentary, but although technically all major spoilers are clearly marked, there's a chance you might spoil yourself anyway.

Alright cool going to check that out, it did mention the site in the book somewhere.

Also The Hero of Ages(I don't think they say his name in this book) says the prophet Kwaan decided he wasn't the hero after previously saying he was, is that part explained?

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Ulio posted:

Alright cool going to check that out, it did mention the site in the book somewhere.

Also The Hero of Ages(I don't think they say his name in this book) says the prophet Kwaan decided he wasn't the hero after previously saying he was, is that part explained?

We're not kidding when we say pretty much everything gets explained in the end.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Alright I thought Lord Ruler being dead his story would be unexplained, its going to be interesting how all that will be explained.

Also I read here that Sanderson writes great endings, this being my first book of his, this was pretty much spot on. Couldn't stop reading when "poo poo hit the fan".

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Troll Bridgington posted:

Man, I have so much to read and so precious little time. I was going to start my Wheel of Time reread (and hopefully finish before A Memory of Light comes out) after I completed Codex Alera. Now I need to add Legion and Emperor's Soul to the list.

Luckily, both those are quick reads. Took me about two hours for each one, and I'm not a particularly fast reader.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Ulio posted:

Also I read here that Sanderson writes great endings, this being my first book of his, this was pretty much spot on. Couldn't stop reading when "poo poo hit the fan".

Yep. It's known as the Sanderson Avalanche.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Ulio posted:

Alright I thought Lord Ruler being dead his story would be unexplained, its going to be interesting how all that will be explained.

The second book can be a little slow, it's a lot of "setup" type stuff, but stick with it, the third book is well worth any lulls.

And the Lord Ruler is definitely dead, but you still get more of his story as time goes on.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Ulio posted:

Brandon Sanderson writes his books backwards. He thinks up what would be a fantastic ending to a story, and then works backwards to set up all rest of the story to get you there. So rest assured that almost everything will be explained.

Subvisual Haze fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Oct 21, 2012

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

keiran_helcyan posted:

Brandon Sanderson writes his books backwards. He thinks up what would be a fantastic ending to a story, and then works backwards to set up all rest of the story to get you there. So rest assured that almost everything will be explained.

I love that he writes almost exactly like a DM. Figure out the campaign style, decide on a villain/boss fight setpiece, and then build backwards from there.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

404GoonNotFound posted:

I love that he writes almost exactly like a DM. Figure out the campaign style, decide on a villain/boss fight setpiece, and then build backwards from there.

I never thought of it that way, but it makes so much sense.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

bowmore posted:

Is there an ebook?

Sanderson posted:

As with LEGION, I will personally send a copy of the ebook to anyone who buys the print version. (We hope to have the ebook ready soon; we're working on it. It's not out quite yet.)

So no, but he will be giving it out if you buy the regular book.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.
Has Sanderson said anything about doing annotations for the Stormlight series? I would would love to read the ones for Way of Kings but there is nothing on his website :(

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Wrestler The Big Show was just name dropping Brandon Sanderson and how much he loves his books on Opie and Anthony. Also Brent Weeks but hey they can't all be winners.

He said that Brandon sent him a full set of Wheel of Time autographed and all his own books Autographed.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

Victorkm posted:

Wrestler The Big Show was just name dropping Brandon Sanderson and how much he loves his books on Opie and Anthony. Also Brent Weeks but hey they can't all be winners.

He said that Brandon sent him a full set of Wheel of Time autographed and all his own books Autographed.

Even Brandon said he likes Brent Weeks, he mentions that if he had to pick someone to finish his Stormlight Archive series it would be Weeks.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Strumpy posted:

Has Sanderson said anything about doing annotations for the Stormlight series? I would would love to read the ones for Way of Kings but there is nothing on his website :(

At a guess for Stormlight annotations right now he's trying to avoid having to fill too many posts with "this is cool and will do something later".

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Clinton1011 posted:

Even Brandon said he likes Brent Weeks, he mentions that if he had to pick someone to finish his Stormlight Archive series it would be Weeks.

Whaaaaaaaaat?

:gonk:

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Who's Brent Weeks and what's wrong with him?

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Cicero posted:

He wrote the Night Angel Trilogy and the Lightbringer series (work in progress).

Some people accuse his debut series The Night Angel Trilogy of being derivative fantasy as is has elements reminiscent of The Wheel of Time, such as a society of female magic users and wedding bonding. Other people just enjoy the story without caring too much about who copied who.

The Lightbringer series is great too, has a Sanderson-esque magic system utilising colours. The main protagonist is a fatty too which is unconventional. I haven't heard anyone saying anything bad (or good) about it.

I think some people are just prejudiced because they didn't like his debut novels. I think he's a fine writer and his stories are fun to read. In my opinion he goes from strength to strength much like Sanderson.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
He also had child rape in his first book.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Clinton1011 posted:

Well was it glorified, kind of GRRM style, or was it just something that happened/scorned? There are things that happen in real life (and happened more in the time period that fantasy books are typically set) that are unpleasant and often brought up in literature, it doesn't mean the book is bad.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Clinton1011 posted:

Considering Straff's hobbies, this is an odd thing to complain about in this thread.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Silver2195 posted:

Considering Straff's hobbies, this is an odd thing to complain about in this thread.

At the risk of going all reddit here, iirc Straff likes them young but certainly post-pubescent.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

api call girl posted:

At the risk of going all reddit here, iirc Straff likes them young but certainly post-pubescent.

Fair enough.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Cicero posted:

His Night Angel trilogy are adolescent power fantasy. Take the Sword of Truth novels, remove objectivism, add teenage angst, and you get the Night Angel trilogy.

Kid grows up ROUGH with CRUEL GANG LEADER out to GET HIM. Kid meets BADASS ASSASSIN and enters NINJA ASSASSIN TRAINING! He continuously white knights for virginal HOT CHICK with a SAD FLAW. Love is in the air but, OH GOD, a bitchy, but TOTALLY HOT NINJA ASSASSIN CHICK complicates things! Also there is SEX and SODOMY so you know this is totally grown up. gently caress!

I'm not gonna lie--if you can get past that, the books aren't bad. There's some awesome action sequences and--when he's not ripping off other books--there are some good ideas, too. I mildly enjoyed them the first time through.

But I have no urge to read them again. And I would cry if he took over stormlight.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

ConfusedUs posted:

His Night Angel trilogy are adolescent power fantasy. Take the Sword of Truth novels, remove objectivism, add teenage angst, and you get the Night Angel trilogy.

The Lightbringer stuff is better than the Night Angel trilogy. And frankly, swapping objectivism out for teenage angst is an improvement.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I really wasn't looking for it, but in Chapter 34 of KoD, Furyk walks in on a grouping of Seanchan leaders and kind of runs through how they're all physically pretty distinct in coloring. So apparently Seanchan is rather gigantic and unified across quite a variety of people.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Is The Emperor's Soul worth buying? Just took a work break and checked out his site and Sanderson said he thinks it might be his best writing yet which has me intrigued.

Basically, do I get it now or later?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.

Democratic Pirate posted:

Is The Emperor's Soul worth buying? Just took a work break and checked out his site and Sanderson said he thinks it might be his best writing yet which has me intrigued.

Basically, do I get it now or later?

You can read the prologue for free at Tor.com right now. Based on that much, I'm pretty excited to dig into the rest.