Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Rhyno posted:

Jeremy Clarkson fit 3 Royal Marines into a Fiesta.

You ever been in the back of a Fiesta? I'm 5'10 and behind another 6' dude my knees were in the seat. It would be fine for maybe an hour, max.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You ever been in the back of a Fiesta? I'm 5'10 and behind another 6' dude my knees were in the seat. It would be fine for maybe an hour, max.

Sounds like an engineering problem. Did they issue a recall on your knees? Maybe you'd fit better then.

But seriously yes and i didn't find it to be that cramped.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Khorne posted:

Proposed Budget: $8k-$25k

New or Used: Used, probably recent

Body Style: 4 door, midsize. I am open to going smaller or maybe even a bit larger.

How will you be using the car?: I will use it to drive places. Literally. Long, long road trips once or twice per year, short drives daily. It will often be just me in it, but I would like to be able to seat 4 people comfortably with a fifth kind of comfortably.

I plan on owning and maintaining it for a long time.

Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? I don't care. More features is always a plus, but there's nothing I prioritize that couldn't be added in easily after buying it.

What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, MPG. With respect to MPG, it doesn't have to be the absolute best.

I was looking at something like a 2010 Hyundai Sonata. There's nothing too worthwhile in that department available near me, so I should likely look at other similar cars. I'm pretty lost on what to buy.

I'm looking to spend on the lower end of my budget, ideally $15k tops, while still getting something with decent gas mileage and reliability. $25k is the budget though, and if there's something new that really fits my criteria I'd be open to it.

edit: I drive a 1989 BMW 525i with 220k miles on it right now. It has a thousand problems and needs more work than it's worth to me. Especially after it was keyed twice. It's also way too tight of a fit for me. Super awkward at 6'1. Never had that problem in a more recent car, though, because I'm not fat or freakishly proportioned.

My top choice would be a Ford Fusion. Other choices would be a Nissan Altima, Hyundai Sonata, Kia Optima, or Chevy Malibu. Hell, even a Dodge Charger would work. Don't bother with an Accord or Camry, their prices are stupidly inflated because they've got a reputation for being the most reliable, but other cars are just as good.

AznKwaiJai
Apr 12, 2004

AznKwaiJai posted:

Proposed Budget: < $20,000ish.
New or Used: Either.
Body Style: Either 2 or 4 depending on "trunk" space of the hatchback.
How will you be using the car?: This is a commuter car.
What aspects are most important to you? I am looking for a hatchback with good amount of "trunk" space. Or whatever you call that space in a back of a hatchback. If the space can be adjusted by having the rear seats removed is a definite plus. Manual transmission. Power windows and power locks.

My goal is to have a music enthusiast commuter. I am planning to install audio and visual enhancements to the car.

Already looking at

Subaru Impreza
Volkswagen Golf
Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback

sub-consciously adverse to Honda Fit and Toyota Matrix.

Alright updating list.

Subaru Impreza
Volkswagen Golf
Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback
Mazda MAZDA3

Alright now instead of me going to the dealership or calling them. I come here to ask. Are the rear seats of any of these 4 removable? I understand that some of them fold. I am looking for big back space.

My dad was saying that I can void the warranty on the new car if I add speakers and or new audio dash. Is this true?

Parents leaning toward the Golf, but wants an automatic, which leads to 4 door because there isn't a 2 door auto. I myself wouldn't mind a Golf only if it is a TDI two door. TDI is manual only I believe.

Anyone got some pro and con through experience r research? Looking through cars.com and edmunds and various others isn't helping too much.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

No, you can't remove the seats in any of those. No, you can't "void" a warranty by installing an aftermarket headunit or speakers. TDI comes in automatic as well.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I bought a car (2012 Nissan Versa) on Friday that I'm now starting to have second thoughts on. Its not the car itself, but the terms of the deal. Turns out I'm not as good at negotiating contracts as people who negotiate contracts for a living. The big thing that has me irked is there was apparently a $1000 manufacturer rebate no one ever told me about and was stuck in the middle of the contract (and signed over to the dealer as part of the down payment), so at the very least I overpaid by $1000. Yes, I realize I'm an idiot for not thoroughly reading the contract before I signed it.

Now, I know there's no such thing as a cooling off period on a new car (at least in California) but I may have an out anyways. Currently I'm technically unemployed, going to college full time on the GI Bill. Since we did the paperwork late Friday night they told me to bring in my award letter to establish proof of income over the weekend. I'm also supposed to turn in the pink slip on my trade in (a paid for 2002 Mazda that was on its last legs). Can I 'get out' of the deal by neglecting to turn in the paperwork and hoping the financing falls through (I financed through Nissan) and then just give back the car for my down payment/still running trade in back? If so, will this affect my credit score? Would there be anything stopping me from walking down to another dealership and starting over?

It feels a little underhanded to even be thinking about this, but in the cold light of morning the contract I wound up signing feels even more underhanded. Its not for more than I can afford to pay, if I do get stuck with it, it just feels like I should have done better.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Proposed Budget: 35,000 max. I would like to have to pay around $250 bi-weekly
New or Used: New
Body Style: 4 door Mid-size or Full Size Sedan
How will you be using the car?: I will be using the car mostly to get to and from work. I like to have blue-tooth enabled so that I can sync my phone up and play my music.
What aspects are most important to you? MPG is the most important thing to me. The better the mileage the happier I'd be.
I live in Alberta, Canada.

I would personally really like a Nissan Leaf since I'm a dirty hippie at heart but this being oil country they have been slow to adopt or give any sort of tax credit.

If there is any other info I can give I'll be happy to supply.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Passat TDI. Has the bluetooth and great MPG.

AznKwaiJai
Apr 12, 2004

Bovril Delight posted:

No, you can't remove the seats in any of those. No, you can't "void" a warranty by installing an aftermarket headunit or speakers. TDI comes in automatic as well.

That's good to know. I may also circle saw some additional holes for speakers. That shouldn't void the car warranty right? As long as it does't mess with the integrity of the vehicle?

I really want the Golf TDI, but the extra 6k from a base Golf is dramatic. Not sure I can swing that.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

AznKwaiJai posted:

That's good to know. I may also circle saw some additional holes for speakers. That shouldn't void the car warranty right? As long as it does't mess with the integrity of the vehicle?

I really want the Golf TDI, but the extra 6k from a base Golf is dramatic. Not sure I can swing that.

The law is that the warranty is never voided (unless you total the car) by aftermarket parts.
However, if they can show your part/work did the damage, they don't have to cover it.
For example, if your stereo installer messes up the install and causes a short, not a warranty issue. If the holes you cut start to rust, that area probably not covered by rust warranties.
On the other hand, if your piston explodes, you are probably fine.

Do be warned that VWs have had weird issues with stereos though. For example, if you replace the stereo on certain year B5 passats, it will lead to your OBD2 port becoming inoperable and may damage equipment hooked up to it.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Fit, Sonic and Fiesta is what I would consider in this segment. The Focus hatch is 19,6 and you should be able to roll in under that, though Ford doesn't discount as heavily as they once did.

Where would be the best place to look for 2012 models, say, next summer? If I could find a 2012 Focus Hatch I bet it would be somewhat cheaper than a 2013.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Apollodorus posted:

Where would be the best place to look for 2012 models, say, next summer? If I could find a 2012 Focus Hatch I bet it would be somewhat cheaper than a 2013.

Right now is the model year changeover to 2013. In fact, lots of nameplates have already switched to '13 already this year. Next summer, you'll be looking at closeout 2013s.

The best place is to go to a dealership.

CrackerJackal
Oct 21, 2012
Proposed Budget: Around $20,000. (Less is obviously acceptable.)
New or Used: New. I've had too many cars that were abused terribly by [a] previous owner[s].
Body Style: Four door is preferred but not needed, just thinking about insurance rates and how they call literally anything with two doors a sports car. Compact or midsize sedan or hatchback.
How will you be using the car?: Point A to point B, but I'd like to do a good bit of traveling with it as well.
What aspects are most important to you? Sporty style is a must, I'd like it to look 'mean' if you get what I'm saying. Needs to have at least 30 combined MPG, higher isn't really needed unless it's an automatic. I'd like something with a good lifetime to it, I'll likely be driving it until repair costs get out of hand in it's old age.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

There's not much out there new for $20k that looks "mean." Pretty much the only ones are the Dodge Dart and Mitsubishi Lancer. I guess maybe the Cruze does too a little, but low-end cars and mean looks usually don't mix.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
What about a Civic? You can get a 4-door Civic LX for $18k plus options and they look pretty cool. Mean, even.

I'd definitely get one myself if they offered the hatch in the US, but they don't seem to.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Apollodorus posted:

What about a Civic? You can get a 4-door Civic LX for $18k plus options and they look pretty cool. Mean, even.

I'd definitely get one myself if they offered the hatch in the US, but they don't seem to.

Yes, tell us all about how cool and mean the 2012 Civic looks.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
I think it looks cool, dammit. But then again I did grow up with one parent driving a '95 Plymouth Voyager and the other driving a Toyota Tercel.

Seriously though, for $20k, which is what I am projecting my budget will be too, I wouldn't worry about meanness.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Dodge Dart is probably the best bet for "mean" looks under 20k.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Bovril Delight posted:

Dodge Dart is probably the best bet for "mean" looks under 20k.

I don't think it does 30 combined, though.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

It's right at 30. 25/36/30 for the 2.0.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The advertising for the Dart claims "up to 41 highway MPG". I assume it's the 2L that does that, and not the 1.4L turbo you can get in the SXT or higher model, but I'm not sure.

CrackerJackal
Oct 21, 2012
Googled Dart, looks suave. Price range, check. MPG? Four-cylindar cars ftw. Gets 41 highway and 28 city with the 1.4L, which is pretty good. Comes in a six speed manual, so I'll be able to bump up the already impressive numbers.

I had been thinking about maybe a Chevy Sonic, but the latest Dart just seems to blow it out of the water for not that much of a price difference between the higher submodels.

Ran through the options on Dodge's site, with the SXT you can get the 1.4L and that brings it to a pretty round $20k, plus about $500 more for a good package of smaller features.

Thanks everyone.

CrackerJackal fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Oct 22, 2012

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CrackerJackal posted:

Googled Dart, looks suave. Price range, check. MPG? Four-cylindar cars ftw. Gets 41 highway and 28 city with the 1.4L, which is pretty good. Comes in a six speed manual, so I'll be able to bump up the already impressive numbers.

I had been thinking about maybe a Chevy Sonic, but the latest Dart just seems to blow it out of the water for not that much of a price difference between the higher submodels.

Ran through the options on Dodge's site, with the SXT you can get the 1.4L and that brings it to a pretty round $20k, plus about $500 more for a good package of smaller features.

Thanks everyone.

Buy it tomorrow! I think you'll be the first one in AI to have one.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Rhyno posted:

This isn't AI pal. :colbert:

If you haven't found it already here's Allpar's mini-site on the Dart. Personally I'm really psyched for the SRT-4 version. So far all of "new" Chrysler's products have been home runs and surely they won't screw up the most storied nameplate in American sports car history?

EDIT: The Giulietta actually came with hand crank windows only for the back seats, just like the original Neon. They should have kept that as a nod to heritage.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Throatwarbler posted:

This isn't AI pal. :colbert:

If you haven't found it already here's Allpar's mini-site on the Dart. Personally I'm really psyched for the SRT-4 version. So far all of "new" Chrysler's products have been home runs and surely they won't screw up the most storied nameplate in American sports car history?

My major concern would be buying the first year of what is basically an Alfa.

CrackerJackal
Oct 21, 2012

Rhyno posted:

If only. I've only been trying to decide on what car I'll buy once I'm situated in the Air Force. It's nice to have a material goal to go along with all your regular self-improvement ones, I've driven a variety of 'beaters' my whole life.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Proposed Budget: 35,000 max. I would like to have to pay around $250 bi-weekly
New or Used: New
Body Style: 4 door Mid-size or Full Size Sedan
How will you be using the car?: I will be using the car mostly to get to and from work. I like to have blue-tooth enabled so that I can sync my phone up and play my music.
What aspects are most important to you? MPG is the most important thing to me. The better the mileage the happier I'd be.
I live in Alberta, Canada.

I would personally really like a Nissan Leaf since I'm a dirty hippie at heart but this being oil country they have been slow to adopt or give any sort of tax credit.

If there is any other info I can give I'll be happy to supply.

If you're not keen on the Passat TDI, I would consider the Ford Fusion or Hyundai Sonata, both have a range of models including Hybrids. I don't think the payoff is there when it comes to price difference vs. fuel savings on the hybrid models. Both have nice BT systems. Also consider a Prius, not quite a midsized sedan, but some of the upper trim models have some cool tech features.

In the full sized sedan market there's not a whole lot out there with great MPG. The new 2013 Taurus is getting a 4 cyl Ecoboost engine that should get up to 32MPG highway, which is pretty amazing for a full sized sedan, but I would imagine in city MPG won't be that hot due to that engine having to move over 4,000 pounds of car around. The new Charger is supposed to get 31MPG highway as well under perfect conditions.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

nm posted:

My major concern would be buying the first year of what is basically an Alfa.

The Giulietta has been out in Europe for quite a while.

renzor
Jul 28, 2004

...I still get the ham, right? Good.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

How many miles do you drive a year and what's your actual fuel usage with the Mk. 5?

I was driving about 25 a year for the first 3 years and went up to just over 40k last year. I was filling up once every 5-7 days, getting around 400 when I stuck to the city and 550-600 when the majority of it was highway driving.

Now that I'm back in school I imagine I'll put MAYBE 10k a year on my car, with 7 of that coming during the summer for weekend getaways. My method of thinking is why sit on a 15k car for the next several years that will not get used when I can get a much cheaper car and put that extra money elsewhere where it won't depreciate. I realize an older, cheaper car will also depreciate but obviously not by the same amount.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Proposed Budget: 15k max
New or Used: used
Body Style: 4-door sedan or hatch
How will you be using the car? commuting - about 70-75 miles round trip 3-4 days a week, plus weekend trips.
What aspects are most important to you? MPG is primary. I'm getting around 22 in my current car (2001 Nissan Frontier 4cyl). I'd like to pass the truck on to my wife for her much shorter commute. A secondary concern is power. I know this doesn't usually cooporate with MPG but, for my own peace of mind, I'd like to at least be able to get out of my own way (my truck cannot). My commute also includes some pretty steep grades (I commute the Sunol grade for anyone familiar with the SF Bay Area)
I live in San Jose, CA

I'm looking at some used 2010-2011 Mazdas, mostly Mazda3 (but a Mazda2 did catch my eye for $13k which probably has some wiggle room... but I don't know what kind of power it has). Also saw a 2011 Lancer sportback for 15k. I'm really open to anything, though. Been looking at VWs, Hondas, Toyotas. Any recomendations?

Tuxedo Gin fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Oct 23, 2012

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Mazda2 is a shitload of fun to toss around, but powerful it is not; it's one of the least powerful vehicles you can buy new today in the US and will feel about as slow at highway speeds as your Frontier. Also, largely because Mazda hasn't applied their Skyactiv wizardry to it, it manages to still get less fuel mileage than the Skyactiv Mazda3.

If you're already keen on Mazdas, your requirements pretty much scream Skyactiv 3, if you can manage to make the money work. I don't think you can get one for $15k yet, though; so you'll be choosing between the slow Mazda2, the slightly less slow / slightly more thirsty 2.0L Mazda3, and the slightly less slow still / slightly more thirsty still 2.5L Mazda3.

You could always go Mazdaspeed3 but you'd only be picking up about 3MPG, and that's if you can keep your foot out of it :v:

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Oct 23, 2012

ifuckedjesus
Sep 5, 2002
filez filez filez filez filez filez filez filez filez

Endor posted:

Golf GTI. At this point in your life, I'd say you probably want to choose reliability over excessive speed.

I test drove a GTI a few years ago & it was tons of fun. I've never heard (from anyone) that they are reliable, but they do seem to hold their resale value well. Someone tell me I'm wrong?

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

This seems like a better thread for this question than AI. I am very close to pulling the trigger on a new car, and want to trade in my current 2005 Nissan Altima as part of the deal. For various reasons I would prefer not to sell the car privately.

The car is well-maintained and perfectly mechanically sound. I live in South Texas where roads are terrible, and as such I have lots of cosmetic imperfections on the car (repaired windshield cracks, damaged fog lamps, etc.) that never made sense to replace while driving the car because it would just get cracked again in a few days or weeks.

Is it worth getting this work done and replaced just before trading the car in, or will it end up net costing me more money than just trading in the car in its current condition and taking the hit from the lower trade-in value I would get?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
you could always get a trade in quote, and then a repair quote and see which is better.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Even better: when you get your as-is trade in quote, ask for a quote if the cosmetic damages were nonexistent.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Chiming in on the same note: usually dealers can fix cosmetic poo poo like that in-house for a lot cheaper than you can, so it may not have the weight you think it does on your trade-in value.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Cosmetic condition will affect the price you'll be able to negotiate in a private party sale a hell of a lot more than a trade-in. If you're sure you want to trade it in, don't fix anything.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
Proposed Budget: <19,000

New or Used: used, 2008+

Body Style: suv, wagon, or large sedan

How will you be using the car?: I have a long commute 50 miles each way, mostly highway, but I also have 5 miles of dirt road each way, and sometimes it is sloppy muddy or deep snow not plowed for a few days, so awd or 4wd is a must. I already have a suburban for when we need to haul stuff or carry a lot of people, so I just need it to seat 4 or 5, although an optional 3rd row doesn't hurt.

What aspects are most important to you? I can do most of the work on the vehicle myself, so it would be nice if parts are readily available and reasonable priced. I would prefer domestic over an import but i'm flexible there. I am hoping to improve on the 17mpg from the '99 GMC Jimmy that I will be replacing. I wish I could care about style but I'm going at this with a more utilitarian mindset.

Vehicles I have considered Dodge Journey, Chevy Traverse(Acadia/Enclave), Chevy Equinox(Terrain), Dodge Magnum(Charger/300), Subaru Forester

Idealy I would get a Dodge Magnum R/T AWD but those seem to be priced at a hefty premium.

*edit - I live in the middle of Michigan

Modus Man fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Oct 24, 2012

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Volvo V70 AWD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

I'd take a good hard look at a Forester. Manual transmissions aren't too hard to come by, plus they've got tons more ground clearance than the Magnum which will help a lot in mud and snow. Gas mileage isn't great, but you'll definitely get better than you are with the Jimmy now. You could get an Outback instead, which would get you better gas mileage if you go for the four-cylinder engine, but they're probably a little more expensive. Both of these are very common, so parts will be easy to come by.