Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!
What OS are y'all using if you're not using this for XBMC. I'm looking for a general purpose OS, is Rasbian the goto?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
I used Raspbian and it seemed like a pretty straight forward distro. I wasn't surprised by it lacking anything I expected.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

It's a little short on console tools that I'd think would be close to mandatory, (e.g. screen) but it's nothing a quick apt-get can't fix.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
vim too (I hate vi), but like you said, it's nothing apt-get didn't fix.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I got my pi yesterday, a 512mb one at that but I'm having problems with every single build of XBMC.

I've tried Raspbmc, xbian 0.8 and 0.8.2, and openelec, on different brand 4gb sd cards, formatting them each time before putting a new version on them and I'm having the same problem across all of them.

Whether I'm using my MS wireless mouse, a medion wireless mouse and keyboard combo, or my Razer wired mouse, as soon as XBMC boots to the main screen, about 5 seconds later, the inputs stop working.

I can't select anything when this happens and have to re-boot.

The system hasn't crashed however, as the time still increments and in the case of the openelec build the news ticker continues to scroll across the screen.

It's doing my head in as I can see that it's working but i can't select anything.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Puddin posted:

I got my pi yesterday, a 512mb one at that but I'm having problems with every single build of XBMC.

I've tried Raspbmc, xbian 0.8 and 0.8.2, and openelec, on different brand 4gb sd cards, formatting them each time before putting a new version on them and I'm having the same problem across all of them.

Whether I'm using my MS wireless mouse, a medion wireless mouse and keyboard combo, or my Razer wired mouse, as soon as XBMC boots to the main screen, about 5 seconds later, the inputs stop working.

I can't select anything when this happens and have to re-boot.

The system hasn't crashed however, as the time still increments and in the case of the openelec build the news ticker continues to scroll across the screen.

It's doing my head in as I can see that it's working but i can't select anything.

This is very likely to be a power issue. What else do you have plugged in, and how are you powering the Pi?

There are alot of micro-USB power adaptors out there which don't supply what the model B needs at full pelt (CPU, GPU, ethernet, and USB devices). You can check this very easily if you have a multimeter. It might also be worth just plugging in the bare minimum to get the screen up (so no network and the most basic keyboard you can find) and see if the issue repeats.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Puddin posted:

Get a regular old 2 button wired mouse - I had the same issues you are having.

Edit: beaten. Also get a wired keyboard.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

I'm also having trouble with all of the XBMC distributions. I don't think it's my power supply because I've tried three and my latest is from MCM Electronics and is specifically sold for the RPi (it's 5v, 1a output).

Anyways... is XBMC + RPi capable of playing 720p/1080p -and- decoding AC3/DTS? (i.e. I'm not using a receiver)

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best

Vinlaen posted:

Anyways... is XBMC + RPi capable of playing 720p/1080p -and- decoding AC3/DTS? (i.e. I'm not using a receiver)

As long as the video codec can be decoded in hardware (h264, VC-1 with license, or MPEG2 with license), it can do HD video with AC3 just fine. DTS might be a problem though, since DTS-HD Master can't do HDMI passthrough because of license restrictions, and decoding that in software might be too much for it.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

So now that 512MB versions are out, I guess there's a huge shortage again. Is there any place I can order one for the US, and not just "register interest".

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

xtothez posted:

This is very likely to be a power issue. What else do you have plugged in, and how are you powering the Pi?

There are alot of micro-USB power adaptors out there which don't supply what the model B needs at full pelt (CPU, GPU, ethernet, and USB devices). You can check this very easily if you have a multimeter. It might also be worth just plugging in the bare minimum to get the screen up (so no network and the most basic keyboard you can find) and see if the issue repeats.

The unit is powered by my HP touchpad charger, which is rated at 5.3v and 2.0a so the power supply should be okay (also used the iPads charger as well which is around the same.

I'll test it out to see if there are any voltage drops.

Is there any way to enable the media server settings through SSH? if I could get that working I could then just control it with my phone.

KrautHedge
Dec 5, 2008

peepsalot posted:

So now that 512MB versions are out, I guess there's a huge shortage again. Is there any place I can order one for the US, and not just "register interest".

I'm stuck without one as well. I had one ordered but I moved too much out of my bank account into my savings and was like 50 cents short of getting my order through. By the time I got the money back in they had sold out and cancelled my order. I had placed that order early october as well. Just my luck.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

Vinlaen posted:

Just barely.

Raspbmc stutters like crazy when decoding DTS, but OpenELEC seems to work just fine provided nothing's going on in the background like a library update.

According to the Raspberry Pi Foundation they're "working on" DTS licensing, so I presume that'd include both HD-MA output and accelerated decoding.

St. Blaize
Oct 11, 2007

frumpsnake posted:

Just barely.

Raspbmc stutters like crazy when decoding DTS, but OpenELEC seems to work just fine provided nothing's going on in the background like a library update.

According to the Raspberry Pi Foundation they're "working on" DTS licensing, so I presume that'd include both HD-MA output and accelerated decoding.

I was able to get DTS decoding working fairly smoothly in xbian 0.7 using these overclocking settings:

code:
force_turbo=1
current_limit_override=0x5A000020
over_voltage=6
arm_freq=1050
gpu_freq=350
core_freq=425
sdram_freq=500
It will still freeze from buffering occasionally depending on the movie.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Puddin posted:

Is there any way to enable the media server settings through SSH? if I could get that working I could then just control it with my phone.

The newer raspbmc have the webserver on by default. Connect it to your router and just dial the ip address into your browser.

The ip pops up on screen when you boot, otherwise just go into your router to see what it is.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive
The latest Raspbmc (RC5 v2) is excellent good for HD playback right now. I've tested out a few 1080p x264 mkvs over NFS and playback is seamless. My old HTPC on with XBMC eden on ubuntu would suffer to play these same files over SATA.

OTOH RAspbmc really really needs to optimise the share browsing but you can't have it all I guess.

Strat
Nov 6, 2004

peepsalot posted:

Not to brag (but hey we normally get shafted when it comes to these things) I ordered one from element 14 in Australia on Sunday night. It arrived Tuesday morning (~2 day turnaround and the 512MB model)

I was expecting to have to wait for a few weeks at least.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Strat posted:

Not to brag (but hey we normally get shafted when it comes to these things) I ordered one from element 14 in Australia on Sunday night. It arrived Tuesday morning (~2 day turnaround and the 512MB model)

I was expecting to have to wait for a few weeks at least.

I ordered from e14 on Thursday and had it in my hands Friday morning.

My order from RS Components that I placed on June 29th, shipped about 4 hours after I ordered from e14.

I know which one I will be using again in the future.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Puddin posted:

I ordered from e14 on Thursday and had it in my hands Friday morning.

My order from RS Components that I placed on June 29th, shipped about 4 hours after I ordered from e14.

I know which one I will be using again in the future.

The thread title probably needs changing to "Raspberry Pi: don't order from RS Components"

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I ordered mine from RS Components so long ago that I completely forgot I had ordered it, and that I even wanted a Raspberry Pi*. I wish I had bothered to check this thread before now, because I guess I assumed that there was a global overdemand for the things.

Anyway, it arrived on Friday. To "thank [me] for [my] patience" they gave me a free upgrade to the 512MB RAM version, which is something I guess. I've tried RaspBMC and openELEC, and the latter works much better. RaspBMC crashed a lot (probably every hour or so), while openELEC has not crashed at all.

* Fake edit: I looked it up, and it was 7th June.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Element 14 sent out an email with a phone number to purchase the Raspberry Pi. Called up, was told I'd have to wait about a month until it would ship. Then once I finalized the order they told me it would now be shipping 10 DEC. :| Ah well, finally committed to buying one.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
After a week of runaround, I finally get to see what the mystery parcel is the postman wanted to deliver...and it's my RPi from RS! I remember I'd ordered it but haven't paid attention to hardly anything online about it, because I knew the wait would be incredibly long so I didn't want to get all worked up about something I couldn't tinker with. It's even a 2.0 512MB version, which is nice. And the clear case I'd added to the order, which I'd totally forgotten about.

Now to figure out what to do with it. I've been thinking: webcam security recorder, media/NAS box, LAN torrent server (wouldn't get much use), game emulation station (also wouldn't get much use), Lapdock connection, simple computer for my girlfriend to use (apparently this doesn't work so well)?

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

St. Blaize posted:

I was able to get DTS decoding working fairly smoothly in xbian 0.7 using these overclocking settings:

code:
force_turbo=1
current_limit_override=0x5A000020
over_voltage=6
arm_freq=1050
gpu_freq=350
core_freq=425
sdram_freq=500
It will still freeze from buffering occasionally depending on the movie.

I'd like to try these overclock settings so I can get the DTS videos watchable but what file would I edit to add these settings?

If the results are still crappy I guess I'll just try openelec.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Ebay seems flooded with Raspberry Pis (Raspberry Pi units?) now. Definitely seems worth paying a little extra to get a board in less than a week compared to over a month which may even become longer.

Cancelled my Element 14 order. Waiting that long for a board is just silly. (Though it seems many of you waited worse times for RS)

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Everyone should be aware that using force_turbo=1 will void your warranty if the CPU goes over temp because it turns off the units ability to scale back when it starts to get hot.

The Xbian devs had a big post about it a couple of weeks ago because they released an image with that set without realising and voided a bunch of peoples warranties.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
Yeah. 1050MHz, overvolt, and force_turbo on? That's a ridiculous overclock, particularly just for DTS which is going to kick the CPU frequency up to the maximum. Meanwhile while your RPi is idle it's still chugging away at 1050.

OpenELEC decodes DTS just fine for me with arm_freq=850 / gpu_freq=325 / sdram_freq=425, that's over NFS anyway.

XBMC devs said overclocking the GPU clock is mostly pointless and you can even downclock it, so I tried Raspian's "High" setting as well (see below) and that also worked just fine with about 82% CPU.

The "officially sanctioned" overclocks found in Raspbian are:

Modest: arm_freq 800 / core_freq 300 / sdram_freq 400 / over_voltage 0
Medium: arm_freq 900 / core_freq 333 / sdram_freq 450 / over_voltage 2
High: arm_freq 950 / core_freq 450 / sdram_freq 450 / over_voltage 6
Turbo: arm_freq 1000 / core_freq 500 / sdram_freq 500 / over_voltage 6
(all with force_turbo=0, naturally.)

There's plenty of things you can try before deciding to combine force_turbo and overvolt.

DicksToAsses posted:

Everyone should be aware that using force_turbo=1 will void your warranty if the CPU goes over temp because it turns off the units ability to scale back when it starts to get hot.
Incorrect. The 85 degree temperature limit still kicks in.

Your warranty is only voided if you combine (force_turbo 1 or current_limit_override or temp_limit>85) with over_voltage > 0.

XBian was combining force_turbo and over_voltage.

Social Animal posted:

I'd like to try these overclock settings so I can get the DTS videos watchable but what file would I edit to add these settings?

If the results are still crappy I guess I'll just try openelec.

http://elinux.org/RPi_config.txt

You have to edit/create config.txt on the FAT32 boot partition. It's in /boot on Raspbian and /flash on OpenELEC, or you can just put the SD card in your PC/Mac and create it there.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Oct 24, 2012

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Thanks for the info. I'll give it a shot without force turbo and see how it goes. I think I may just go with openelec as well though, seems to be the best with DTS.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Anyone using a remote for this? My WiFi doest extend to the bedroom where ill be using this.

Is it a matter of a cheap Harmony remote and a USB ir receiver?

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Puddin posted:

Anyone using a remote for this? My WiFi doest extend to the bedroom where ill be using this.

Is it a matter of a cheap Harmony remote and a USB ir receiver?

If your display is a TV with it's own remote, the CEC feature should let you use your TV remote with XBMC. The button press data is forwarded to the pi through the hdmi cable.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Good call on the overclocking. Did the recommended high option per raspbian and DTS/1080p video works like a charm.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

peepsalot posted:

If your display is a TV with it's own remote, the CEC feature should let you use your TV remote with XBMC. The button press data is forwarded to the pi through the hdmi cable.

How widespread is CEC support? I've got a cheap Dynex from three or four years ago, so it wouldn't surprise me much if I were out of luck.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Not sure, I just know it worked out of the box on my samsung led dlp which is a few years old.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
Does anyone have a guide to hand that will run me through turning a Pi into a windows file server? :3:

KrautHedge
Dec 5, 2008

Toast Museum posted:

How widespread is CEC support? I've got a cheap Dynex from three or four years ago, so it wouldn't surprise me much if I were out of luck.

I'll be getting my pi today and use an older (4-5 years old) dynex as well. I will report back if it supports it. I tried poking around online and couldn't find anything on how to check if it had it.

I wound up having to call newark to get my order reinstated yesterday. They honored my order and are somehow getting it to me within a day of the payment clearing. I'm really impressed.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Does anyone have a guide to hand that will run me through turning a Pi into a windows file server? :3:

I don't have my Pi yet but I assume you could just snag the Debian image from here: http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads

And then follow a guide on how to set up a Samba server on Debian.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Toast Museum posted:

It's almost reached the point that most new TVs have it, though not quite all, but the further you go back in the years the more it becomes a "premium brand, higher end model" thing. I have a Samsung 720p LED backlit 32 inch TV from I think 2008 or 2009 that has it (and it works great), a 42 inch 2011 model year Samsung midrange set that is it, but the cheapy VIZIO set I got in 2010 as well didn't have it.

You might want to look around in the TV's manual to see if CEC is mentioned.

Also some manufcacturers have a branded name they use for CEC, here's some of them:
Anynet+ (Samsung); Aquos Link (Sharp); BRAVIA Link and BRAVIA Sync (Sony); E-link (AOC); Kuro Link (Pioneer); CE-Link and Regza Link (Toshiba); RIHD (Remote Interactive over HDMI) (Onkyo); RuncoLink (Runco International); SimpLink (LG); HDAVI Control, EZ-Sync, VIERA Link (Panasonic); EasyLink (Philips); and NetCommand for HDMI (Mitsubishi).

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Oct 24, 2012

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Tried it on my Panasonic in the bedroom, CEC works like a charm!

Rasbmc kept on crashing on boot for me, but openelec works awesome.

It's really nice and all, but drat if it doesn't run heaps slower than the original XBMC on xbox. It's just so smooth.

Now to figure out what buttons do what on my remote.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

I don't know if anyone has looked at Raspberry Pi's website today, but broadcom has open sourced the userland aspects of the graphics driver:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/2221

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
I noticed this cute little thing in an MCM electronics banner ad, and I immediately thought it could be a neat Raspberry Pi accessory. It's a bare 3" LCD screen with a composite connector:

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/83-14400

It looks like it could be great for using the Pi in some sort of portable device, or as an Arduino-on-steroids in an automated system.

A few pages back, I mentioned the prospect of putting the Pi into a miniature MAME cabinet, like an old electronic toy. That looks like it'd be the right screen for something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

drat... My kitchen TV (22" Samsung) doesn't support HDMI-CEC ("AnyNet+"). However my larger (and older) Samsung (32") does.

Why did Samsung remote the feature from the smaller (and newer) TV?! :(