Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lewd Mangabey
Jun 2, 2011
"What sort of ape?" asked Stephen.
"A damned ill-conditioned sort of an ape. It had a can of ale at every pot-house on the road, and is reeling drunk. It has been offering itself to Babbington."

McKracken posted:

I also have a question about the new X-Com

I'm well into my first play through on normal. Doing pretty well besides my first terror mission and sectopod encounter.

Is there any benefit to waiting to hit downed UFO's during the day as there was in the original? It seems like there's little difference in sight radius or panic levels at night compared to daytime and I haven't messed with it a lot because advancing time on the geoscape is not the most precise thing and I don't want the missions to disappear.

There is no day/night cycle any more for the tactical component. Some maps are lit like daylight, and some are lit like night, but it makes no difference to visibility.

So feel free to pop over and run your mission without gaming the day/night meridian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Awesome, thank you. I think this is enough to get me going. Good stuff for the wiki too, the current entry is pretty bare bones.

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

Quarex posted:

Unless you are only content to play games like this without killing anyone or ever being seen, in which case quicksaving every ten seconds is basically required.
With a game like Dishonored, I reeeeally recommend avoiding that urge to try to do any sort of "perfect" no kill/no detection run. I might be a minority on this, but I've never had quite as much fun in a game as I did in Dishonored when I just let go and rolled with the punches. It's fun making a sandbox out of every encounter and using every ability you have. If you play that way, your game will look like those sweet-rear end promotional gameplay videos every time you're in combat. It's a load of fun.

On that note, a couple additions for Dishonored:

- Get Blink 2 right away. Really. Even fully upgraded, it won't feel like enough until you master its use, and by then it's such an obvious part of the game that you'll balk at Blink 1's range on your second playthrough.

- Play on Hard first.

- Look up. A lot. I kept this in mind my whole first playthrough and still missed some stuff. On that note...

- It's okay to miss stuff! If you like this kind of game, you'll play through it more than once. Nothing saps the pace more than practically pausing the game for an hour to explore every nook and cranny and explore every item. I'm that kind of person with my games, but with this one I forced myself to pick a path and rarely deviate. It was infinitely more rewarding not knowing what cool path I was missing, making the second playthrough that much more invigorating. I definitely took my time to explore things, but I kept pacing in mind and went with how I'd imagine it's "supposed" to be done and found it enjoyable each and every time. Again, probably a minority here, but I wanted to throw that out there.

- It's okay to get caught and fight. The game encourages it with a ton of lethal options. I recommend you live a little bit on your first playthrough, just to enjoy what the game really has to offer without restricting yourself and possibly hindering the gameplay. Summoning plague rats and throwing grenades can be mighty satisfying in the hardest of situations.

- Blink is much more restricted vertically than horizontally. If you put runes into the Agility upgrade, you can do a double-jump by holding A, and that could very well let you Blink higher up at the peak of a jump, or even further across a horizontal distance if you run and time a big leap really well.

- Dark Vision 2 lets you see everything, including items like coins and elixirs. It's a really nice ability, but it honestly can feel sort of game-breaking at times. Some posters compared it to detective vision in Batman: AA. Take a note of this and just decide if you want it based on how hard you want the game to be. If you're aiming for a more difficult experience, pass on the second upgrade.

I like this game a lot. :3:

oversteps fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Oct 20, 2012

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
I really need to try a low-magic dishonored run. Blink 2 in particular makes a lot of the game super easy.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Quick question on Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare. Does it have any spoilers for the main game in it? If so, when is the earliest it can be played without spoiling anything?

I've played through vanilla RDR before, but I'm playing it again with a friend that hasn't, who's really interested to see Undead Nightmare, but I didn't want it to ruin anything.

Since I've played through it before, feel free to give spoilertagged specifics on when it fits in the storyline, if that's the case.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

MockingQuantum posted:

Quick question on Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare. Does it have any spoilers for the main game in it? If so, when is the earliest it can be played without spoiling anything?

I've played through vanilla RDR before, but I'm playing it again with a friend that hasn't, who's really interested to see Undead Nightmare, but I didn't want it to ruin anything.

Since I've played through it before, feel free to give spoilertagged specifics on when it fits in the storyline, if that's the case.

Undead Nightmare is an alternate ending to Read Dead Redemption proper, and it starts shortly after John returns to his family and farm at the end of the game.

Daedo
May 5, 2002
I've just downloaded Dungeon Keeper from gog.com and haven't played it since it came out and I was 12. Anything I should know to make it as fun as I remember it being?

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Daedo posted:

I've just downloaded Dungeon Keeper from gog.com and haven't played it since it came out and I was 12. Anything I should know to make it as fun as I remember it being?

-Use sight of evil before you tunnel into anywhere, so you don't accidentally unleash a horde of good guys before you get going.

-Build a smaller but separate second lair as some creatures will fight if they have to share and you'll have to spend all day dealing with that.

-Don't bother torturing lovely heroes/enemy creatures, just either leave them in the prison for skeletons or just slap them to death and take them to the graveyard for vampires.

-A charged spell is more cost effective then multiple uncharged casts.

-If you get flies, keep them in prison and sacrifice 2 at a time in the temple, it'll instantly complete the current research item. very useful for the late game spells that take an age.

-Most levels have a transfer creature special, make sure you find it and transfer your best minion to the next level. A vampire is always a good choice as they're good researchers, very powerful spellcasters and just respawn at their lair when they die (Minus 1 experience level).

A surprising number of keeper Vs keeper levels can be won by possessing your transferred creature and rushing him straight at the enemy dungeon heart.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

pseudorandom name posted:

Undead Nightmare is an alternate ending to Read Dead Redemption proper, and it starts shortly after John returns to his family and farm at the end of the game.

Yeah it is pretty much a continuation of the main storyline where instead of the last proper story mission taking place, a zombie holocaust happened instead and things continue from there. It's basically a direct continuation of the original game's plot but with zombies and assorted weird poo poo. It fully assumes you've finished the original game.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

The Dark Id posted:

Yeah it is pretty much a continuation of the main storyline where instead of the last proper story mission taking place, a zombie holocaust happened instead and things continue from there. It's basically a direct continuation of the original game's plot but with zombies and assorted weird poo poo. It fully assumes you've finished the original game.

Cool. Thanks guys, that's what I needed to know.

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

Any tips for The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings? I know this is supposed to be a very, very rich game and I'd like to be firing on all cylinders when I start playing it tonight. I got the 360 version, and I've never played the first game, for the record. I checked the wiki and there was no listing.

edit: I found the thread and the OP has a neat little "tips and tricks" section, but more stuff would be nice!

oversteps fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Oct 23, 2012

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
There's a Witcher 1 synopsis on youtube that you can watch if you want.

My biggest tip for Witcher 2: Fight like a witcher. Be a complete and utter rear end in a top hat. Use traps, bombs, roll behind people and stab them in the back, abuse spells, knock people into each other, and generally do not fight "fair". Geralt is not a knight in shining armor and when I watch someone struggle with the first act of the Witcher 2 it's because they think they can stand there and fight 3 dudes head on.

Also, potions. That is all.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

There's a Witcher 1 synopsis on youtube that you can watch if you want.

My biggest tip for Witcher 2: Fight like a witcher. Be a complete and utter rear end in a top hat. Use traps, bombs, roll behind people and stab them in the back, abuse spells, knock people into each other, and generally do not fight "fair". Geralt is not a knight in shining armor and when I watch someone struggle with the first act of the Witcher 2 it's because they think they can stand there and fight 3 dudes head on.

Also, potions. That is all.

If you make it to the end of the first act you will get your poo poo stomped and "fight like a witcher" will make a lot more sense.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

al-azad posted:

If you make it to the end of the first act you will get your poo poo stomped and "fight like a witcher" will make a lot more sense.

Yeah don't give up when you get destroyed a few times at the end of the first act, this fight will pretty much force you change your tactics and try new things before it will let you beat it, use everything you've got until you find what works for you.

RobTG
Sep 11, 2001

by T. Finninho
I think it's hilarious how Witcher 2 pretty much opens player's eyes on how they should be playing with the end to Act 1. It was a shock to me, and I know my enjoyment of the game improved afterwards.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I bought the Might & Magic 6 pack from Gog. I mostly got it for World of Xeen since I've heard so many good things about it, so I'd like tips for that. Additionally, I've played older dungeon crawlers in the Wizardry vein before, and while I am fine with that kind of thing, I'm not entirely sure I'm up for something that primitive at the moment. Do the first 3 games have anything really cool to offer me? Should I play them?

To be extra clear, this is the first person RPG series Might & Magic, not the Heroes... strategy series.

There is an amazing walkthrough here: http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/937195-might-and-magic-millennium-edition/faqs/54664
You don't have to go through it line by line, but doing the first 20 minutes or so that he explains will get you levelled up ahead of the surrounding area, which is nice because the early going can be a slog.
Be sure to get a bow for every character no matter their class and as soon as you see an enemy, hit pause to shift it into turn based and start firing arrows.

One of my favorite rpgs, along with The Bard's Tale series, of its type (i.e., dungeon crawler with little more story than "kill, level up, repeat").

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

How about Crusader Kings II? In theory it sounds like the type of game I would absolutely love, but there are like 30 tutorials and that is instantly fatiguing to me. But if I just start playing I have no idea what to do. Any kind of in-between -- a few hundred words someone might be kind enough to type up so that I can actually start playing?

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Oct 24, 2012

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I don't think I can sum up how to get started in CK2 in a short time but I can recommend an LP which helps a lot of people:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3487258

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I don't think I can sum up how to get started in CK2 in a short time but I can recommend an LP which helps a lot of people:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3487258

Thanks, and that's what I was afraid of (the impossibility of summing it up). Just tell me -- is the payoff worth the effort?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Yeah, and it's not even as much effort as it seems. It's a really addictive and fun game playable by normal human beings. It's just that a lot of what you do depends on everything else, so with few exceptions you can't just say "Oh, ignore those menus, you just need these ones". The menus themselves aren't super hard or complicated, though.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Jarate posted:

Any tips for The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings? I know this is supposed to be a very, very rich game and I'd like to be firing on all cylinders when I start playing it tonight. I got the 360 version, and I've never played the first game, for the record. I checked the wiki and there was no listing.

edit: I found the thread and the OP has a neat little "tips and tricks" section, but more stuff would be nice!

At some point you'll be asked to side with 1 of 2 factions, and the one you pick completely changes the next act, which is also the longest in the game. It's probably worth keeping a save right before this point so you can see all the game's content.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
Alright, how about Pokemon Black 2 and Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3? Last Pokemon game I played was SoulSilver, so just the cliffnotes of what's new on that one. UMvC3 is totally new to me- I've mostly just played SF4 before. Thanks!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
XCOM: Enemy Unknown (2012)
-The most important upgrades from the Officer Training School are the ones that increase party size. Get them ASAP.
-No one is invincible, but Rookies are cheap.
-Tanks (SHIVs) are not, and can't be trained. You can't really research them casually, because by the time you've gotten them formidable, they're probably outclassed by just about everything, so either be ready to throw yourself into SHIV research, or don't feel bad about passing them up.
-It's all but impossible to research everything in a normal game, so don't stress out about it, just research what you think you'll need.
-On that note, autopsies (and, later on, interrogations) usually make research in some other area go quicker, so do those first when you can.
-A shotgun Assault plays completely differently from a Rifle one, and using one like the other will quickly get them killed.
-When choosing skills for your soldiers, you'll usually know which one you want by your play style, but don't be afraid to mess around with it, you'll always have more dudes.
-However, there's an Assault skill that makes the first Reaction Shot against that character each round miss. Get it, it increases their survivability by leaps and bounds, and the other skill is only good with a very specific, specialized build.
-A powerful psychic is just as amazing in this game as it was in the first one.
-If you want to break the game in half: Get a Sniper with Squadsight, drat Good Ground, Double Tap, and a Sniper Plasma, put them somewhere high up, and rejoice in your angel of death.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Oct 24, 2012

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Mayor McCheese posted:

I don't see anything on the wiki for Yakuza Dead Souls. I've played the previous games but I would love any advice regardless.

Reposting this one last time before I dive into it. If there's no help I'll probably just write up my own once I'm done with the game.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

DeathBySpoon posted:

Pokemon Black 2

1) TMs are now infinite use
2) HMs moves can be used outside of battle as soon as you have them, rather than being unlocked by a gym badge.
3) Don't worry too much about HM slaves or whatever, I'm at six badges and have used Cut and Strength maybe twice.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Colon V posted:

XCOM: Enemy Unknown (2012)
-If you want to break the game in half: Get a Sniper with Squadsight, drat Good Ground, Double Tap, and a Sniper Plasma, put them somewhere high up, and rejoice in your angel of death.

Later on you can research a suit of armor that has a jetpack. This makes them a literal angel of death.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

DeathBySpoon posted:

Alright, how about Pokemon Black 2 and Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3? Last Pokemon game I played was SoulSilver, so just the cliffnotes of what's new on that one. UMvC3 is totally new to me- I've mostly just played SF4 before. Thanks!

Your MARVEL BABY! HQ

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

voltron lion force posted:

Anyone wanna type some words on Alpha Centauri? Picked it up on a whim after beating XCOM (needed more sci-fi turn based goodness) and god drat does it seem complicated, like way more so than Civ. I have very little clue what I should be doing and I even read all the tutorial tips :(

Forests are one of the more/most useful terraforming options, as they give all three resources, are improvable in terms of resource gain with tech, naturally expand, and don't piss off the planet(keeping you safe from Mindworms).

So a decent plan in terms of improvements is FORESTS EVERYWHERE.

Supply crawlers break the game in your favour-the AI won't use them and their functions(Use to contribute it's resource cost to Secret Projects, or siphon resources from any square to the Crawler's home city).

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

YggiDee posted:

(Pokemon Black 2)
1) TMs are now infinite use

:aaaaa:

Mezmerized Machine
Dec 29, 2008

DeathBySpoon posted:

Alright, how about Pokemon Black 2

Considering it's the first in the series that's an official sequel, I'd suggest playing Black beforehand. I've only gotten about an hour into Black 2 and there's a good couple of references to Black, including the first gym leader. Nothing you'd be totally lost from, but it couldn't hurt. Also TMs are infinite use in Black as well

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Bloodly posted:

Forests are one of the more/most useful terraforming options, as they give all three resources, are improvable in terms of resource gain with tech, naturally expand, and don't piss off the planet(keeping you safe from Mindworms).

So a decent plan in terms of improvements is FORESTS EVERYWHERE.

Supply crawlers break the game in your favour-the AI won't use them and their functions(Use to contribute it's resource cost to Secret Projects, or siphon resources from any square to the Crawler's home city).

Setting terraformers to fully automate gives surprisingly decent results with forests, mines and farms in right places, roads between cities and fungus removed. Some :spergin: could probably get better results in manual control, but it's too much bother honestly. Only manually control if you want to raise/lower terrain, they don't do it even with that option on and it costs money unlike all other improvements.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Mayor McCheese posted:

Reposting this one last time before I dive into it. If there's no help I'll probably just write up my own once I'm done with the game.

There's actually not a lot to tell here, but I'll give it a go.

- In the EU version at least, most of the DLC was automatically packed up and folded into the game rather than released separately. When you reach the shop in the van, talk to the guy sitting on the couch and he might offer you a huge collection of item packs that make life a whole lot easier.

- Don't sell anything except plates and stuff obviously for sale until you're done with crafting.

- The easiest way to make money is to go to the casino, save, slap down a maximum bet on baccarat, and reload if you don't draw. If you do draw, you win 9:1 and get to spend ages buying up gold plates and ferrying them to the shop to sell. Combined with all the stuff you get from the DLC guy, you can quite easily get top tier guns very quickly... which is okay, because this cuts down on the tedium of normal zombies quite a bit.

- Sidequests are marked on your map, and some of them have to be picked up while you're in the quarantine zone. Many events don't spawn if you're already on a mission, though, so you might have to finish what you're doing and come back on another trip.

- Upgrade Akiyama's pistols as soon as possible. His dual pistols are things of death when fully upgraded and make a lot of the early run-around management a whole lot easier.

- Melee skills are not very good, the main exception being the rising sweep that can clear some space out when you're getting mobbed. Concentrate on the passive boosts, particularly item space.

- Sometimes you will just get blocked and hitstunned half to death. It sucks. Save often.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Oct 24, 2012

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

Dr Snofeld posted:

Countries with 5 panic dots will leave XCOM at the end of the month. Satellites placed in a country reduce panic a little immediately. You don't get any income from them until the monthly report. Therefore, a good idea is to hold onto your satellites until the day before the report, and launch them into any countries with full panic.
If you do manage to paint yourself into a panic corner, where you can't get all (remaining) countries below red before the next council report, know that you will only lose one country per month Ok, that was apparently less true than I though. There is speculation, based on some ini-file inspection, that having a sat up has a chance to decrease panic levels in a country at each council report (*after* it checks whether the country leaves) and that the lower difficulties (which I play on) increases this, but nothing confirmed. So mostly I think I got lucky.

After you get a bit into the game, resources other than cash start to become more important (not that you'll swim in cash, but it's less likely to be the most critical bottleneck), further underlining the importantance of being able to detect and shoot down UFOs everywhere you can. On that note, even a raw fighter can do well against the mid-game ufos with the help of the consumable dogfight boosters. Have some on hand and don't be afraid to use them.

GhostBoy fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Oct 24, 2012

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Anything for Skyrim or should I just go in blind?

I should note I will be playing on X360, so no mods.

Is DLC all late-game stuff?

Bigass Moth fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Oct 26, 2012

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Bigass Moth posted:

Don't mod on your first playthrough, at least not until you know there's something about it you don't like. If you're playing, though, and you find something about it you dislike, go ahead, pull up a mod, but throwing in a huge pile of them out of the gate is just going to taint your experience (assuming you get the game to run at all).

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 26, 2012

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Another piece of advice regarding XCOM. If you play on classic difficulty, just being in cover, even heavy cover, at the end of the turn isn't enough to give your soldiers much safety. Here are some things you can do:

Suppress aliens
Disabling shot aliens
Hide behind cover AND smoke grenades
Get out of LoS (and preferably set up an overwatch trap)
Use psychic powers (not going to spoil them, but they're fairly straightforward)
Straight up kill the aliens

If you end your turn with aliens in sight that you're not hampering in any way you'd better brace for impact.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Anyone have tips for Infamous 2?

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

The Dark Id posted:

Anyone have tips for Infamous 2?

Pick a morality and stick to it. You have to be all good or all evil for the best powers.

Don't sweat finding all the blast shards. You get a late-game upgrade that points you to the nearest shard regardless of how close it is to you.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Bigass Moth posted:

I should note I will be playing on X360, so no mods.

Is DLC all late-game stuff?

Best to go in mostly blind, as you'll wind up overpowered in some way or another no matter how you go about it. Have fun with it, because you'll be at it awhile.

Only pointers I would give:

If you do accidentally commit a crime (or intentionally), you can run away from the town and your wanted level will drop after a day or two.

Only one bonus Standing Stone effect at a time.

Do not attempt to sprint through the massively windy arch on top of a mountain.

There's a power you'll get that turns you ghostly for a short time, use it to drop off high places.

The 'Armor' skill tree does not loop around, both paths end at 'Dragon'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Since it just came out and I get a free copy of it, does anyone have any advice for (Elemental:) Fallen Enchantress? :v: